• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

City of Heroes roll call.

firex said:
Yeah, but do I just like log in, get a quest, kill guys and that's how you level up in the game? Or do you go do diferent quests and get exp from them? I mean realistically, a lot of WOW's quests involve killing guys - but the payoff from completing them gives an incentive, and there's more than just killing to gain levels.

Is it like that in COH or is it more like NCSoft's other games like both Lineage games?

Well, before I say anything else, economically, you should probably continue playing WoW as that is completely free to you.

CoH is just killing for now, although they will be adding non-combat quests in a future patch.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Redcoat is up to nearly 7 now. I'll try to get a screenshot for him shortly. No idea if I'll keep The Dark Forever up (I put in the Forever part, because of the Inifity symbol on his chest...which you can barely see...)

Redcoat is mainly gravity attacks (lift, crush, etc.) but I did just get Hover.

SyNapSe

DJ Demon J said:
"For some reason it's a lot of fun" applies to every game. Either you like a game or you don't. Some people love the self-flagellation that is FFXI, others prefer the simplicity of CoH. Different strokes for different folks.

say what you will but FFXI is a much better "game" in current state. Honestly, (particulary after the "purple patch") this game has sucked for me. I basically solo'd a AR/Dev. blaster to 14ish.. as it seems the devs intend EVERYONE to be a blaster. I duo'd somewhat with a Ice/Dev blaster friend.. which works REALLY well, but I degress. It's pointless... I wanted a game where it was possible to solo, but what they've done is made it MUCH BETTER to solo as a blaster, or even some other AT's like scrapper. Basically with their multi-mob system it's all about wiping them out b4 they kill you.

Now, I blame part of this problem on SO's. If you read the stupid COH forums you see people talking about blasters basically 2 rounding 8-10 mobs of white-yellow con, and this frankly isn't true. The problem is with the level of increase in enhancement.. With basic training enhancements (and even DO's at non-maxed level) you can kill mobs fairly effeciently but they provide a challenge still. Once you can 6-slot SO a couple of AE attacks.. screw Defense or anything else because you can kill them instantly.

Lonestar

Redcoat past 8 now, and my newly earned Propel skill. It rocks, I can beam in various pieces of trash (ranging from chairs and tv's, to Cars and Forklifts) and sling them for serious knockback damage. :D

site1060.jpg

site1061.jpg

my current roster:

The Main characters:

Lvl 14 Fire/Fire Blaster
GWM.jpg

Scraper Katana Just started...or re re-rolled him at least for a redesign
hm.jpg

The "when I get to them" characters

Gravity Controller
GG.jpg

Ice/Ice Tanker
ik.jpg

The Shits and Giggles Characters

BK.jpg

hehehe...pretty fun. I saw a lot of them on Pinncle but they were all "healty" and like 4ft tall. The only thing the run animation for skinny characters sucks.

MRM.jpg

hehehe

cohw.jpg

For shits and giggle I made my own Wolverine using the CoH parts. I made one in Casual wear jeans\Guinni T\Cowboy hat\wrapped gloves, but I deleted him.

Now, I blame part of this problem on SO's. If you read the stupid COH forums you see people talking about blasters basically 2 rounding 8-10 mobs of white-yellow con, and this frankly isn't true. The problem is with the level of increase in enhancement.. With basic training enhancements (and even DO's at non-maxed level) you can kill mobs fairly effeciently but they provide a challenge still. Once you can 6-slot SO a couple of AE attacks.. screw Defense or anything else because you can kill them instantly.

yeah it's not true my blaster...who is kinda hated :( has trouble soloing yellows and above. I was on a mission last night. I had to run from a yellow Marrowbreak who handed me my ass like he was a purple. Also on the City of Whiners board they say Scrappers can't solo for shit. Well either Doc_Holliday and I have super special scrapers or more CoH board stupidity.

Oh there's definatly a Blaster and non blaster commuity on CoH. I was ina group where the leader wanted only blasters/Defenders/controllers. Basically he said Tanks and scrappers would be a handicap needing awlays to stop for healing or rezing.

One thing that comes to mind witht his is how is PvP gonna work. I can take out a tank or scraper easily since well I can fly/hover well out of thier range. Eiter the devs are trying to make blasters so hated that no one uses them or the opposite where everyone uses them.

BLAGH!

Don't get me wrong I love my blaster BUT I'll admit it's kinda boring being support in a group where the Scrappers and tanks are the offensive. Great WasabiMan is great (no pun) and all but my scrapper seems to be alot more fun for soloing.

DJ Demon J said:
Well, before I say anything else, economically, you should probably continue playing WoW as that is completely free to you.

CoH is just killing for now, although they will be adding non-combat quests in a future patch.

IAWTP.

I loved CoH - it's simple, it's fun, it's prolly the best and most accessible MMO on the market right now.

Then I got in the WoW beta and (temporarily) cancelled my CoH account. If you can play WoW - for free - you can prolly fairly bypass CoH.

GLoK

Name: Fire Child
Origin: Mutant
Archetype: Level 14 Fire Blaster.

bought the game a couple days ago, loving it

WoW! I just read the STUPIDEST anti-pvp post...no.....the stupidest post in CoH board history. A guy suggested a PvP server. He got flammed and the biggest reason.

"Heroes don't fight each other"

I must be the only person on that board that replied to that thread that read "The Dark Knight Returns" or "the X-tinction Agenda" or any cross-over or guest appearance comic book.

I mean it's benn something like 7 years since I picked up a comic book (aside from Akira and Sin City). Did heroes go soft?

Anywho...whats your guys take on PvP?

Ryu

Batman and Superman have fought eachother on numerous occasions and they're just two guys in the entire world of superheroes.

Anyways, PvP isn't too much of a good idea honestly. A Blaster can basically hand any like level hero their ass in a couple of hits. Lets not forget the range problems of some powers as well such as super speed versus flight. There's too many factors to consider.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Well they are doing PvP, im curious to see how they pull it off. Honestly i think its the only I can this game having long term appeal.

AeroGod

There is no way PvP would work right now, with the current archtypes and powers. Not without a complete overhaul and retooling off ALL the archtypes and power pools, and we are talking MAJOR overhaul. Everything. Power types, damages, resistances, EVERYTHING. And that would probably throw off the entire PvE game, and we dont want that now do we. To put it simply, its to much trouble and a hassel to do it NOW, or even if they decided to throw it in during the mid-late beta months ago. The game and powers were built from a PvE perspective and there isnt anything that can be done about that...yet. City of Villian is the answer. You can basically create a whole other game with new powers and skills from scratch, without screwing up what you already have in place.

Its like they said, blasters are just too good. If a blaster takes fly, whats a tank or scrapper to do, they have virtually no ranged attack. So the blaster can just fly up high and wail on the tankers with range. Not much fun in that.

Cryptic has built a really good thing here, and im sure the addition of City of Villians will make it even more fun. Some of the features they have planned sound really cool. You just gotta wait and see.

yeah balsters would rule over the pvp...yet being a blaster I can't see much fun in fighting someone that doesn't fight back....or at least can't. Although 2 flying balster figthing it out in the skies over AP would be cool.

The only PvP now I =can see is SG vs SG or Team vs Team.

A couple of things I think they should have thought out better...like the extar power pool...some classes should only have some of powers available. What good is hover for a tank or scrapper? What good is fury punches to a blaster defender or controller?

They also should have (or should in the future) added stuff like a batman style grappling hooks or a spiderman like organic swining mechanic. Perhaps some pvp instant tping to stop the people form hovering, juming and running. Otherthings to get over the huge walls in KR, Steel, Sky and other place. Like the using the Wolverine like claws the scale buildings or walls.

One thing I did notice playing with the chracter creator a lot of the designs are marvel influenced.

I'll probally stick withthe game till CoV and see how that pans out.

Lonestar

Redcoat is now up to 10 (also got Syphon Speed i.e. temporary super speed) Who was making the Supergroup, or has it been made yet?

I thinkthe sg Idea died :( I joined one with Wasabiman but the next day half the members left. I got Hibachi half way to lvl 5 tonight I should be to 10 tomorrow depedind how grouping goes

aparisi2274

So I reached level 20 today. YAY ME!!! I took the Fitness power pool. Anyway, here are some pics of me guarding my tram station in Skyway City. Yeah thats right, that's Death Reapers tram Station. :)

my-tram.jpg

mytram2.jpg

aparisi2274

Ferrio said:
Hey guys, wasn't ther esome kinda character creation tool outside the game?

The only program I know, is more of a tool than a creator. Its called Hero Planner, and u can get it at coh.warcry.com, its pretty good tool. I use it when I am playing the game to see what power I will take next or what DO's or SO's or Training enhancements I can use, so I dont waste money. It really is a cool tool. I suggest everyone who is playing the game, give it a try.

EDIT: When u DL the program and u are running it, use the LEGACY mode, this is par for par with the game, so u can use it at every level up to decide what u are gonna do next before selecting a power pool. This tool is very useful.

some interesting things....

X-ray vision? I can see her nips! LoL
nips.jpg

So I get a mission to "Remove the Hellions form the Club". I think OH Cool! A new Enviroment but was suspicious since it was in KR....
club.jpg

Nice club I think this is the bathroom. When I entered it siad the music was being drowned out by the fighitng and it was as quite as a mouse. The lack of contenet is sure begining to show. A club that dubbles as a skull hide out, a superdine lab, the lost safe house and a Vahz hostage hold up.

Finally...Be astounded and amazed at the Mysterious Floating Zombie Backpack and glove.
h.jpg

UGH!!!! I hate TP! I fucking Hate it!!! I was hunting while wating for a group and I found a nice spot in sky with yellow 14's and no one around. I got invited to a group and was going to finish off the brick before I met up with my team as I'm about to hit him one last time the guy TPs me across the city.....I hate TP

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I didn't know they ever had it up for download (save for the beta)?

Nice screens, Wasabi. =)

firex

Still thinking of getting this game, but probably not right now - just kinda got back into the groove with WOW. I might get it in the future though. I was only going to get it and use up my free month really.

MrCheez

I guess my friends and I completed the zombie story arc, because during one of the latter missions we were chillin' and killin' in the sewers when we turn the corner and come face to face with none other than... Dr. Vahzilok!

Needless to say, we wiped the floor with him. =) He conned purple despite the fact that he was the same level as me (15), and his rank was "Archvillian" rather than "Boss". Oh, and he dropped an SO for me! w00t!

Got a few screenshots of him. Click if you don't mind spoilers on what he looks like!

http://pictures.greatestjournal.com/userimg/1311947/159009

MrCheez

Nope, just a normal mission actually. =) I think it was the last of the story arc.

We actually beat the mission before we confronted him, oddly enough.

shuri

Banned
sci.jpg

Here's Sci, the original hero i made. I reached level 14 with him tonight; flying is fucking AWESOME! This hero is on Justice

sci20.jpg

I couldnt play for about 3 weeks, my friend kept joking that my character actually died and that I was trying to build up some sort of "Death of Superman" style of hype for my return to COH, so as a joke, I created this mecha version of Sci that is like 8 foot tall. He still retain his ice blaster power, but his secondary power is now technology. This version is on Freeom

soundstorm.jpg

This is my third version of Sci, this version is on Freedom. He's a defender with heal/dark energy powers

aparisi2274

YAY, so I got invited into a Supergroup tonight. I am part of:

THE IMMORTAL DOMINION

Our group motto is:

We haven't lived this long to let the city fall

Here are some pics of my new supergroup colors.

Here is me in my normal costime:
Normal.jpg

Here is me in my new Supergroup Colors:
Supergroup.jpg

Here is one, with my new supergroup chest logo, and I have my face mask set with supergroup colors. I think this looks pretty good:
semi.jpg

Something I found pretty funny on CoH boards.

Jack I forgot his last name "Statesman" was at the Orgins convention this weekend and held a Q&A.

A few interesting things:

The total number of CoH players now stands somewhere "between 150-200k - closer to 200k than 150k."

I asked about a few things - one, will the Kinetics Defenders ever get a secondary Kinetics power? The answer was yes - perhaps as soon as the fall. Two, I asked about developer run game events, like the RIkti invasion, and whether or not he ever planned on something like Godzilla showing up and rampaging through Paragon City. Jack said that they are working on a way that they can do just that kind of thing, but that it may not be soon because there is so much else that needs to come first. Also - Jack is a big Godzilla fan, as am I, and we all know that people who think the Big G is cool are all around good people. No wonder CoH rocks. Lastly, I asked about ever being able to modify or create your own chest detail (your superhero symbol), and as I expected, the answer was absolutely not, because Lord knows what people would make and the approval process would require too many staff people than they can afford.

Someone raised the question of whether or not the colors of your power effects or blasts would ever be able to be modified - and his answer was yes they will be - and soon.

Capes - they are almost done. It's not just capes that are coming either - it's also cloaks, and long flowing skirts for female characters, and ribbons and the like. Jack said he really liked the way the capes looked and were implemented in the Batman: Rise of Sun Tzu console game.

Yippee!

- Jack said that we are only at the very beginning of the CoH development lifecycle. There are a ton of things to come - and a lot of it this year too. The developers have been working hard on all of these new things, and it's not like they are all sitting around planning Update #2 - it's more like Update #9, with #2 almost completed and ready for testing. The bottom line is that lots of stuff is on the horizon for us, some of it has been mentioned here, some not, including:

--vehicle power pools
--expansions of power pools to include even more options
--expansion of powers in existing sets, including the addition of more powers for over level 40 characters.
--additions to mob groups, new bosses, new types of characters
--potential for citizens on street to randomly run up to you and give you a mission - like a "save my cat from the tree" mission
--a potential new winged race archetype and a possible alien one
--the ability to respec your character (to what extent he did not say)
--capes, cloaks, dresses
--more costume options, customizeable colors, etc.
--more zones, and not just in the city either. Jack made lots of mention about taking CoH into the full spectrum of comic book world locations - other planets, other dimensions, underwater, in the earth, etc.
--Although he did not announce this for sure, he suggested a forthcoming "City of Spies" where you could play characters similar to Nick Fury and be part of a S.H.I.E.L.D. type organization.
--City of Villains will not only bring PvP, but also Supergroup bases with vaults, NPC characters who guard the base, three villain groups, and the potential of base raids where one villain group attacks the headquarters of a supergroup.
--The ability to create henchmen and goons for a villain and similar assistants to heroes.
--expansions of story arcs for all levels, deeper stories (Jack said he has only scratched the surface of where he wants this to go) and the ability to go back and do the early arcs if you outleveled them.

Capes, Bases, PvP, Spies, Base Raids, More Powers, More Costume Options, More Races, Random Missions...WEEEEEE!

The rest of the stuff was about how Jack made a few Million selling a company then he wanted to make a game that was easy to pick up and fun to play where the player felt like a super hero so he set out to make City of Heroes.

Also some stuff seemed to be directed towards the Whiners at CoH.com. The classes of characters aren't broken, it was ment for each class to have differnt strengths and weaknesses. Ilke in many MMORPGS...FF for Example a black Mage can't run around like rambo, but a tank can. I never understood that complaint.

and the hehehe...

- Many remarked on the negativity in the forums - Jack answered that the forum accounts for about 1% of the users. He does come in here and read this stuff. He is angered and annoyed by much of it. He also believes that most of the complaining is coming from players with levels lower than 20. Also he remarked that he is often in the game as a character other than Statesman and jokingly said that he keeps tabs on us - and that the ambushes you are experiencing may not be so "random" if you are one of those posters on these boards that are constantly whining.

i'm glad to see he's as annoied by the forums as most people are. Knowing that only 1% of the people who play post it makes all those Sparticuses who are going to quit sound even...lamer.

Ferrio said:
UGGGGLY

and why for th elove of god do shoes go up to your knee... even if it's high heels....

You need to spend more time with the character generator. You can have bare feet or plain ol high heels (stilettos too!).

Ferrio

Banned
DJ Demon J said:
You need to spend more time with the character generator. You can have bare feet or plain ol high heels (stilettos too!).

They always come up to your knee though.

Sat here for awhile, there's no shoeless option. And all the highheels have shit come up to your knees. I need "tucked in" baggy pants but they tuck into the fucking knee not the heel.

Ferrio said:
They always come up to your knee though.

Sat here for awhile, there's no shoeless option. And all the highheels have shit come up to your knees. I need "tucked in" baggy pants but they tuck into the fucking knee not the heel.

Ah, I see. Yea, it is annoying that they didn't separate feet from legs. Probably will be fixed with the upcoming capes patch.

AeroGod

I just encountered the worst thing ever in CoH. Doing a task force where your only good healer happens to be an annoying dumb ass kid. OMFG. 6 hours of bitch bitch bitch and stupid joke after stupid joke. Ahhh, I need to go kill myself.

Pimpbaa

Edit: Deleted yet another character

This it the only character I have at the moment. She is Tristanna who is a level 8 fire blaster:

tristanna.jpg

Welcome to City of Heroes First Features Update!

From the far corners of the world, heroes have responded selflessly to the distress call of Paragon City. Heroes like you have taken up the gauntlet, standing tall between an ever-encroaching night and a new dawn. Thanks to you and your fellow heroes, the streets of Paragon City are safer, and evildoers throughout this majestic city no longer rule with impunity. You have earned a job well done and the thanks of a grateful city… but that was yesterday.

Today, new threats are upon you. Today, you have to bind up your wounds, strengthen your powers and take a heroic leap—

Through the Looking Glass…

The Features Update goes live tomorrow, Tuesday, June 29--so this is your last chance to download the update and grab a head start!

Be prepared to play in new zones, accept new missions and experience other exciting game enhancing additions. Be prepared for the next level of super-powered gameplay.

Through the Looking Glass includes the following new content:

2 New City Zones

*Peregrine Island – This zone, north of Talos Island, is home to the secretive Portal Corporation.

*Rikti Crash Site – In this zone, the Rikti War still rages. Join the battle and keep Earth safe from the alien invaders.

New twists to missions

*5th Column Prison – When you’re defeated in certain equipped 5th Column bases, you will have more to deal with than a hospital bill.

*Circle of Thorns Crystal Prison – Like the 5th Column, if you are defeated in selected lairs, the Circle of Thorns will have a big surprise in store for you.

*Circle of Thorns Gate Room – The Circle has found a new method of protecting its dark secrets: the Gate Room.

*Circle of Thorns Orichalchum Crystals – Magic can bring power, or magic can bring pain. These crystals have become infused with the Circle’s dark magic, and heroes will often find themselves surprised by the results.

*Tech Danger Lab – Technology can be somewhat unreliable. The only way to find out what the Tech Danger Lab holds is to experiment and observe the results.

Outdoor Mission Maps

*The villains of Paragon City have taken the fight to the streets.

Contact\Mission\Story Arc Content For levels 40-50

*The sick amusements of the Carnival of Shadows have turned deadly. Learn the source of their powers on your quest to save a single soul.

*Expose the darkness in Countess Crey’s closets and bring her secrets to light at last.

*Begin to plumb the depths of the mysterious Malta Group.

*Nemesis: How far will the Prussian Prince of Automatons go in his bid to conquer America?

*As with many new technologies, Portal Corporation’s advances involve great risks. Venture to alternate realities to keep Paragon City safe from the many hazards of the multiverse.

*Is there any hope for peace between the Rikti and Earth? Not if you don’t keep your eye on the factions that have begun to splinter Rikti society.

*The Praetorian supervillains may well be the greatest threat your fair city has ever faced. Take the battle to their home dimension to keep Paragon City safe.

Trial Room

*Sewer Trial Room – Deep within the sewer system, something is growing. Characters between levels 38 and 40 must battle the Hydra to keep it contained – but be sure to come prepared for a long, hard fight.

Tailor

*Now your costume can change and evolve with your hero. At 3 locations within Paragon City, you can update your outfit – for a price.

*At levels 20, 30 and 40, you can earn extra costume slots by performing tasks for Icon’s tailors. Now you can customize your look on a daily basis! You may perform these tasks at any level after the initial level.

aparisi2274

Oh man I cant wait. I just logged on, and nothing yet, but I guess since they are on the WEst Coast, it wont go live until at least after 3am EST. I cant wait until tomorrow.

aparisi2274

Well I love this new features update. I took some pics.

Here is one of my character doing a dance with his new boombox.
Dance.jpg

Here is my character at the new costume shop. If you want to make basic changes to your current costume, u see the employee at the middle station. if you want a new costume as a secondary choice, you need to see Serge in the back, and he will give u a mission. Mine was defeat 30 TSOO, and then u get a new costume. So I did, and here are the pics:

OLD:
old.jpg

NEW:
new.jpg

Not much in the way of change, but I am the Death Reaper, so I need to have a little mystery. So you will never see my whole face. :)

aparisi2274

Ferrio said:
Where's the tailor, and can a lvl 10 get there unharmed?

The Tailor is in the NW corner of Steel Canyon, and u can only change your costume, once you hit lvl 20. Steel Canyon is full of all lvl 13-20 guys.

MrCheez

Woo hoo, the update rocks! The day the dancing/boombox thing gets old, please shoot me. I was laughing my ass off during my entire session this morning.

And Ferrio is right... where the hell is everyone?! o_O

P.S. Keep posting screenshots, peeps! 8) I always enjoy looking over them. I'll post some new ones soon.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Ferrio, you in the victory server?

I'm about to start playing some CoH after not having played in a while, and I have my new character created for GA, Kogasu, so I'm right at the beginning. I'll be playing whenever the hell this update finishes downloading. Right now it says 50 minutes left. :\

Ferrio...what lvl are you....try grouping in the sewers...fast exp to at least 7.

Anywho, I ventured to the costume shop with GWM. This is how it goes if you can make it there and got enough insp (which is not really a problem) you can change you look. When you reach 20 you get an extra slot so you cn have 2 costumes then 3 at 30 and 4 at 40.

Old Wasabiman...
gwmog.gif

New Wasabiman...
gwmb.gif

some stuff I saw that made me lauh..a lot with my ash alternate

Adult Super Mario Brothers....and really well done to boot. both fire blasters. Mega man joined them later.
smb.gif

OH MY! It's Pappy Great Wasabi Man!
pappawm.gif

I tried to meet him with GWM but by the time I logged out and got to AP he was gone.

hheh

Top Bottom