• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CivCity: Rome/Grand Ages: Rome |OT| Rome was built in a day

zankara

Toma said:
I wouldnt wonder if you just need a shitload of defense, forts and fire towers.

Yeah, that's what I thought. but I had a full army, walls and towers plus heaps of forts and fire towers and it still stayed at zero.

Also disappointed that there were only two types of military units. I wanted elephants! :lol

Ranger X

The game crashed and I just lost like 8 hours!!!

fuuuuu.png

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I don't always understand some of the decisions the little people in COTN make in terms of changing jobs. :lol

abBxs.png

Sure, I can understand moving from linen weaving to making papyrus. But then to move from those to hauling stone all day? :lol

XiaNaphryz said:
I don't always understand some of the decisions the little people in COTN make in terms of changing jobs. :lol

abBxs.png

Sure, I can understand moving from linen weaving to making papyrus. But then to move from those to hauling stone all day? :lol

:lol :lol

Glix

XiaNaphryz said:

abBxs.png

This picture reminds me of Passover!

Ranger X

Man this is something.
I am trying to have a nice movement in my granaries + having the best town possible, expanding only if needed. It's hard to get people into Domuses!

zankara

Ranger X said:
Man this is something.
I am trying to have a nice movement in my granaries + having the best town possible, expanding only if needed. It's hard to get people into Domuses!

I always found that frustrating in the campaign, I couldn't complete the objectives and have a beautiful city :(

Ranger X said:
I didn't want to go to sleep until I have them.
I got them damned Medium Domuses!! 6h30am though... :lol

CivCityRome05.jpg

:D

How do you have a hapiness of 100?
Where are the non workers fucking your plans?
They never seem to stop coming in my cities (well yeah, they stop coming, when I need them. Fuckers)

Ranger X

SpacePirate Ridley said:
How do you have a hapiness of 100?
Where are the non workers fucking your plans?
They never seem to stop coming in my cities (well yeah, they stop coming, when I need them. Fuckers)

You mean vagrants or homeless people? Vagrants aren't damaging your rating, you can forget about them and not care. Homeless people however you can get rid of them, but I never ever got rid the of the unemployment complain.

To have your rating at 100 anyways (and always) you can compensate the unemployment stat by improving rations, and increasing wages. In that city I even could diminish the working hours! (I needed that so those stupid fucks have time to go to my temples and baths). Anyhow, rations and wages = you need to make money and build butchers. That's what I care about first when I start the city. Research for increasing research speed and then for money. Build your trade system.

Ranger X

SteelAttack said:
I finally completed the aqueduct and bath assignment. My first military assignment awaits me now. Is it hard?

First military assignment is easy. You can complete it with only one fort in your city (equals to 1 legion out of a possible 3). As long as you don't let the ennemi enter the city you're good.

zankara

So playing these games have reinvigorated my love for city builders. I have played the classics such as: Zeus, Pharaoh, Caeser, emperor rise of the middle kingdom, and so on. Also have Anno, Tropico and Settlers series.

Is there anything else worth getting?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
zankara said:
So playing these games have reinvigorated my love for city builders. I have played the classics such as: Zeus, Pharaoh, Caeser, emperor rise of the middle kingdom, and so on. Also have Anno, Tropico and Settlers series.

Good question. If you are staying VERY close to the roots you probably know every game there is. Since you also stray a bit off the roots and go Anno, Tropico and Settlers, there might be potentially more but I wouldnt hold my breath for "good ones".

zankara

Toma said:
Good question. If you are staying VERY close to the roots you probably know every game there is. Since you also stray a bit off the roots and go Anno, Tropico and Settlers, there might be potentially more but I wouldnt hold my breath for "good ones".

Thought that might be the case :(

I was thinking it would be cool to have a city builder set in an Aztec/Incan/Mayan Civilization.

Ranger X

You know what? I would like a "civilization style" city building game set today. And hear me, this is completely different than Sim City, I want to the see the lives of all the inhabitants just like CivCity and their devellopment from a small village to a techno city.

I never ever seen such game and if it doesn't exist I really don't get why.

Retro

Ranger X said:
You know what? I would like a "civilization style" city building game set today. And hear me, this is completely different than Sim City, I want to the see the lives of all the inhabitants just like CivCity and their devellopment from a small village to a techno city.

I never ever seen such game and if it doesn't exist I really don't get why.

I think SimCity Societies was like that, but I never played it.

Ranger X

hmm, good guess that's for sure. I'll check on that game, didn't think about it.

I've been getting info on SimCity Societies and they seem to miss that awesome "evolution" element that's in games like CivCity, Grand Ages, Ceasar ,etc

mantidor

zankara said:
Thought that might be the case :(

I was thinking it would be cool to have a city builder set in an Aztec/Incan/Mayan Civilization.

I remember Tilted Mill holding a poll about that, too bad it seems only romans and maybe egyptians are popular, I would also love a mesoamerican city builder, I remember the biggest complain was the human sacrifices :lol these guys always try to be as historically accurate as possible.

dream

Sorry if this has already been covered but is there any way to run CivCity Rome above 1280x1024? And if not is there a way to kick it into windowed mode?

Catshade

zankara said:

Try Constructor; It's like Tropico, but in England suburb setting. I heard that it's quite hard, though...

Smash88

Banned
Ugh this is killing me I hit my monthly cap, and I need to wait until the 20th to be able to download all the games from the steam holiday and this one included. This blows.

Fuck you Rogers.

Ranger X

dream said:
Sorry if this has already been covered but is there any way to run CivCity Rome above 1280x1024? And if not is there a way to kick it into windowed mode?

I am running it in 1600x...
The config box that opens when you boot the game (well, unless you checked it to not appear again) offered me multiple resolutions in the 1600x range.

Children of the Nile is perhaps the best city builder I've ever played. The flow of the game and the attention to detail is amazing.

Best deal I've made on Steam.

All this talk of the old Impressions games not being available as digital downloads got me thinking how much I wanted to play them again, so I managed to snag Pharaoh Gold, Zeus Gold and Emperor for a reasonable price on ebay;

IMAG0164.jpg

Only installed Zeus so far, but managed to get it working in Win7 after playing with the compatibility settings, albeit under a horridly small resolution and I had to install a no-cd fixed .exe as the game refused to run from the disc (kept spitting out a 'wrong disc' error) - hopefully Pharaoh works too, I imagine there'll be no problem with Emperor though. Can't wait to dive back in, I'm definitely playing Zeus first as it's the only Impressions city builder I've yet to play.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ranger X said:
Yo Toma, you're not playing anymore? School is not important man. :lol

Haha, yeah I am still around. Got to play a few other Steam Games from the sale. Right now I am VERY occupied with Europa Universalis 3. <3

But I am glad I got enough people to get into these city builders again to sustain the thread without me :p

Ok, I need help people. This is angering me.

City of Cologne in Civcity. Where to start.

-the fucking wood workers dont want to cut trees, they are near the trees but they just sleep for the eternity. FOR FUCKS SAKE THE WHOLE MAP IS FULL OF TREES!!! I have tried placing the sawmills everywhere on the map. They still dont work. Bug, idiocy of AI, whatever, this is starting to piss me off.
-The problem, I dont have eternity. I need wood FAST, becuase the game starts to throw at you more and more enemies, as fast as it can, and of course, you dont have time to have soldiers (not even if the wood thing worked). Great fucking programming RIGHT THERE.
-Ahh, and some clever man thought of putting all the resources in a zone YOU CANT REACH! Well, you can, in some shitty boats that go to fucking slow to make anything fast.

One of the worst stages I can think in any game ever. Maybe im doing something wrong, please enlighten me.

EDIT: Seems to be a bug. The game doesnt get wood anymore. Ive even load another city were the wood worked and the wood workers were sleeping. Going to restart the game, if it doesnt work, well fuck it.

Ranger X

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Ok, I need help people. This is angering me.

City of Cologne in Civcity. Where to start.

-the fucking wood workers dont want to cut trees, they are near the trees but they just sleep for the eternity. FOR FUCKS SAKE THE WHOLE MAP IS FULL OF TREES!!! I have tried placing the sawmills everywhere on the map. They still dont work. Bug, idiocy of AI, whatever, this is starting to piss me off.
-The problem, I dont have eternity. I need wood FAST, becuase the game starts to throw at you more and more enemies, as fast as it can, and of course, you dont have time to have soldiers (not even if the wood thing worked). Great fucking programming RIGHT THERE.
-Ahh, and some clever man thought of putting all the resources in a zone YOU CANT REACH! Well, you can, in some shitty boats that go to fucking slow to make anything fast.

One of the worst stages I can think in any game ever. Maybe im doing something wrong, please enlighten me.

Wood Workers,
Sometimes they walk a fucking mile to go get wood, sometimes there's some bug where they don't move anymore. Anyhow, make sure they are near the wood (so they start working at all) and also make sure there's a warehouse near their camp. If you're sure all those conditions are met and they are still not working, blow them up and put another camp. For speed, place multiple camps close to woods as possible and put a warehouse right fucking beside their camps. This way you can move the wood with the warehouse mule that is 2-3 times faster than a wood dude walking a mile. Also, check the research tree and focus on researches that will lead you to "Forestry".

Mills,
They need to have a warehouse with wheat near them (or the farm itself I suppose). I've tested this and for Mills I am 100 positive there's a bug. Sometimes the Mills stops working even if there's a warehouse with wheat around. The solution is just like with the wood workers, blow it up and build another one.

----------

Important bugs + workaround
1- Where a production shop (carpenter,mills,winery,etc) or a farm (yes it happens with farms...) stops working for no reason. Blow it up and build another one. Make sure that it's not because there's no granaries or warehouse near them. Make sure that it's not because you miss the primary goods they need in order to work (carpenter will not work if there's no wood in a warehouse near, Wheat is needed for Mills, etc) This bug also happened to me with a bakery and a fruit shop. At least it's seems to be rare to happen for shops.

2- AIs not updating their envirronement. Sometimes you will want to build a new granary or warehouse near something because your other ones are full. Well, you might notice that X farm or production shop will not use your new granary or warehouse you just build. This is simply because more often than not, the AI doesn't update correctly their granary and warehouses locations. Here again, if you notice some farm is too dumb and try to put their goods in a warehouse or granary that is super far away, try either to create some movement of goods between your granaries/warehouse with their mule. If you decide it takes too much time or that you lose too much time because the damn farmer walks 4 miles to deposit their goods, blow them up and rebuild immediately.

---------------

If you build your cities when keeping this all in mind and regularly giving a little check to your farms and production shops, you shouldn't have any problems and you will realise you don't even need that many farms at all. Always place your granaries and warehouses first. You can even have a network of them ready before expanding!

I am more than halfway through in the campaign mode and I never needed more than 2-3 farms or each kind for my biggest cities. Never needed more than 3-4 Carpenters and Mills. Also, focus on economics as fast as possible and also research constantly. Watch the research tree to always research what you really need next. Another advice I can give is the expand only if needed. Going too big makes the game actually harder. I always make the smallest cities possible.

Ranger X

I also had a problem once where some school stopped working. I am not sure there was a bug, at least I couldn't really verify and some times later it was working again so... yeah.
But anyhow, I always keep the possibly in mind that the "stop working" bug could happen with anything. Each time something is going abnormally wrong in your city, try to check if the bug might have happened unto something.

Yep, at the end it was a game bug, in all my saves the wood workers stoped working.
I had to shut off the game and restart it gain. Now it all works. Tried the blow up buildings also before shuting the game. Dindt work either.

But thanks Ranger for the solutions.

At the end I have finish the two Creta missions and now I understand the non workers that fucked up the city rating, now it never goes below 90.
Just fuck them and give the city lots of free time, food, and when you have more money up their salaries.

Ranger X

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Yep, at the end it was a game bug, in all my saves the wood workers stoped working.
I had to shut off the game and restart it gain. Now it all works. Tried the blow up buildings also before shuting the game. Dindt work either.

But thanks Ranger for the solutions.

At the end I have finish the two Creta missions and now I understand the non workers that fucked up the city rating, now it never goes below 90.
Just fuck them and give the city lots of free time, food, and when you have more money up their salaries.

Yes indeed. And you can make money so fast that you can give them premium wages without a sweat. Spoiled Romans if you ask me. ;)

I'm starting Mediolanum. There's an iron area across the river. Can I just make the mine there? How is the iron going to reach my main town?

Hannibal is coming! :O
Edit: NVM I just found BRIDGES in my menu. Suck it, Hannibal!

Ranger X

When you're starting a mission there's an info tab you can click on and it shows + explain everything that will be new in that mission. Taking a glance at this prevents you from wondering how to cross a river per example. :p

SteelAttack said:
I'm starting Mediolanum. There's an iron area across the river. Can I just make the mine there? How is the iron going to reach my main town?

Hannibal is coming! :O
Edit: NVM I just found BRIDGES in my menu. Suck it, Hannibal!

I laughed way too much with this :lol

Ranger X

Holyshit I just discovered that I can change mule's routes and move houses while on pause!! OMG the stress that I just saved there!!

Toma

Ranger X said:
Holyshit I just discovered that I can change mule's routes and move houses while on pause!! OMG the stress that I just saved there!!

You can change houses while on pause in CivCity?
That game would really need a better tutorial :lol

Well, my game has a bug.
Every time I have to start the cologne mission the woodworkers will not work, if I get out of that city and load another save were the woodworkers worked, they also stop working and sleep forever.
I have to shut the game and put it on again and start another different mission for the workers to work.

Im going to try opening a good save BEFORE loading the cologne mission, if that doesnt work, well, my game is fucked and i can finish it.

EDIT: WORKED!
And my game has crashed :(

I think Hannibal didn't think much of my bridge building prowess. :'( I had to restart Mediolanum because I turtled with only one fort for the majority of the game. Yes, I am aware that mission brief clearly states you won't be able to make do with only one, but I got cocky after the first wave of foot soldiers got fend off quickly. Silly me.

I didn't know enemies would keep coming at me relentlessly like rabid dogs, by the third wave or so, they had fucking elephants and ever growing groups of soldiers, and my fort and armorers couldn't catch up, even though I started to build more frantically. Then my town got razed, my women got killed and my men got raped. I have to stop playing these combat sections as an RTS game.

Ranger X

Sgt.Pepper said:
You...you can move houses?

Oh yes, and it's really important. When you click on a house, in its tab you will see a green arrow on the top right. This is for moving the house. This is super important because as they evolve, you can concentrate them into some spot and save space (when your hut reaches the hovel levels.) Second thing, when you start having hovels, moving them will leave some place so those houses that had a hard time to level up can, in their turn, be placed better so they evolve...

Here's an example of how much stuff you can concentrate on the same spot (vital for huge cities).

CivCityRomeBC03small.jpg

You that I have 2 highly concentrated quarters in this pic. Top and bottom left. Impossible to do without quite alot of moving.

:)

Ranger X

Toma said:
You can change houses while on pause in CivCity?
That game would really need a better tutorial :lol

Yeah it's quite ridiculous how I find new stuff everyday. If only there was a in-game manual or something. I also think we miss stats and player feedback to properly manage a city. There's also some vicious bugs in there. :(

Steelattack said:
I didn't know enemies would keep coming at me relentlessly like rabid dogs, by the third wave or so, they had fucking elephants and ever growing groups of soldiers, and my fort and armorers couldn't catch up, even though I started to build more frantically. Then my town got razed, my women got killed and my men got raped. I have to stop playing these combat sections as an RTS game.

lol yeah, they attack infinitely. It's possible to conquer ennemi towns though. I just don't know how yet. Probably need a bigger army than what the couple of first military missions let me do.

dream

Ranger X said:
I am running it in 1600x...
The config box that opens when you boot the game (well, unless you checked it to not appear again) offered me multiple resolutions in the 1600x range.

Huh, weird. Mine seems to max out here:

civcity.png

Toma

Ranger X said:
Yeah it's quite ridiculous how I find new stuff everyday. If only there was a in-game manual or something. I also think we miss stats and player feedback to properly manage a city. There's also some vicious bugs in there. :(

I just told my gf about the house moving thing and she said she knew and just never bothered to tell me.

._.

And woah dude.. that screenshot... Your city is beautiful.

Top Bottom