• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CivCity: Rome/Grand Ages: Rome |OT| Rome was built in a day

Ranger X

Yeah, I had to make it pretty because the mission was asking me for a civilization rating of 80.
You can't make that without dofus, using most of the different entertainment building there and decorating the city.

CivCityRomeBC06small.jpg

CivCityRomeBC02small.jpg

CivCityRomeBC04small.jpg

-----------

Oh yeah they were even asking for Chariot races in order to complete the mission. I had to build it in the fucking desert because there simply was no other space! lol

CivCityRomeBC05small.jpg

:lol It works.

Toby

Damn, civcity can be a real piece of shit sometimes. The combat is frustrating as hell most of the time.
I played a long stretch on the last task in the military campaign, but had to take a break because I was starting to cuss out the stupid fucking cohorts that wouldn't go where I told them to.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Toby said:
Damn, civcity can be a real piece of shit sometimes. The combat is frustrating as hell most of the time.
I played a long stretch on the last task in the military campaign, but had to take a break because I was starting to cuss out the stupid fucking cohorts that wouldn't go where I told them to.

Isnt it easier anyway to send them out of town and fight enemies before they arrive? Or not working for the last mission?

Toby

Toma said:
Isnt it easier anyway to send them out of town and fight enemies before they arrive? Or not working for the last mission?
Haven't really tried. There are two enemy towns that send out armies and a rally point that you can't attack. I have all of my cohorts spread over the map defending points where they can come in, so I don't dare send one out in case one of the enemy gets through.
Really wish you could build more than three army depots. I have something like 2000 javelins sitting and doing nothing.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Toby said:
Haven't really tried. There are two enemy towns that send out armies and a rally point that you can't attack. I have all of my cohorts spread over the map defending points where they can come in, so I don't dare send one out in case one of the enemy gets through.
Really wish you could build more than three army depots. I have something like 2000 javelins sitting and doing nothing.

Yeah okay, thats too risky then I assume =/
I dont know the quota but the enemies can definitely defeat you on the map. Do these villages attack you at the same time? Because if not, I'd just have 1 on the map and move it around where I need it (Again, save before you try since I have no clue how the "win/lose" ratio in that level is for you)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Bootaaay said:
All this talk of the old Impressions games not being available as digital downloads got me thinking how much I wanted to play them again, so I managed to snag Pharaoh Gold, Zeus Gold and Emperor for a reasonable price on ebay;

IMAG0164.jpg

Only installed Zeus so far, but managed to get it working in Win7 after playing with the compatibility settings, albeit under a horridly small resolution and I had to install a no-cd fixed .exe as the game refused to run from the disc (kept spitting out a 'wrong disc' error) - hopefully Pharaoh works too, I imagine there'll be no problem with Emperor though. Can't wait to dive back in, I'm definitely playing Zeus first as it's the only Impressions city builder I've yet to play.
Holy crap, there was a Zeus gold edition? If only I knew back then :(

http://i.imgur.com/6npX4.jpg
I found my Zeus copy, tho it's the first version (with the huge paper box). Couldn't find the instruction book or the expansion. On the other hand, I found the pharaoh expansion but not the original :/ I'll have to back to the basement and search again, I'm pretty sure I had all the blizzard games too. Maybe I can register the keys online to play on battle.net

Anyway, what were the settings to make the game work? Do you have to run it in window mode? I remember Zeus looking gorgeous at the highest resolution. Would be a shame if it didn't work. Enjoy the game anyway! It's a huge blast

Ranger X

Toby said:

Second military mission and I am getting owned. I don't even understand everything you can make, I am attacking attacking... but I couldn't finish a garnison before the second one arrived... even with 3 forts...

CivCityFuckedsmall.jpg

:lol

Ranger X

Does anyone what those icons means exactly anyways? (see screenshot there ^^)

I know there's a "return to fort" of course but I don't really understand the "shield to javelin" button or "shield to ??" button. And sometimes some of the bigger icon on top of buttons are green, or not (probably mean selected but I can select everyone like and RTS with my mouse on the field and the selected garnison doesn't make the icons become green down there.)

Maybe the girlfriend knows, Toma? ;)

zankara

Ranger X said:
Does anyone what those icons means exactly anyways? (see screenshot there ^^)

I know there's a "return to fort" of course but I don't really understand the "shield to javelin" button or "shield to ??" button. And sometimes some of the bigger icon on top of buttons are green, or not (probably mean selected but I can select everyone like and RTS with my mouse on the field and the selected garnison doesn't make the icons become green down there.)

Maybe the girlfriend knows, Toma? ;)

The Shield to Javelin button (change cohort type?) lets you change the type of army. So you could have a fort with 3 Sword/shield groups instead of Javelin. But I think you can only do this when you first build the fort, once I had some soldiers I couldn't change the cohort type. The green means you can change the cohort type, it should be greyed out once you have soldier dudes.

Ranger X

Well, looks like I am stuck at the second military mission. And wierd things are happening. I had 3 forts but dudes coming out of only one while there was a battle in the city. Once the only forts that was giving soldier got destroyed, the other forts that never produced men started to deliver some!

And god damned the neighborhood city is sending guys FAST and they are always in a greater number. I couldn't defeat the third wave and damn, meanwhile I wasn't losing my time in the city, I was getting the whole thing to grow and also had careful research and all that. Anyways, either there are bugs or this is really frustrating.

I think I am at the last peaceful campaign mission, I will complete it and start Grand Ages of Rome I guess. Looks like that one is focusing more on combat? I suppose the combat is also better than in CivCity right??

zankara

Two things that helped me with the military missions:
1)placing my town centre as far away from the map entranace as I could
2)Building my forts close to where the enemies enter the map - I found that if one of your three leader dudes die then a replacement spawns automatically, so you can actually hold off a large group of soldiers if you get them to attack you by the fort.

EDIT: Ranger what difficulty you playing at? You could maybe try turning it down and see if the makes things easier.

EDIT 2: On you first point - I think that the game only populates one fort at a time and when one is full it starts sending soldiers to the next one. Which is a bit annoying if you want your forts in different places of the map to defend.

Ranger X

Yeah I changed the difficulty and I can hold them off now. I was already doing roughly as your other suggestions. I however image the rest of the military campaign, button mashing and hearing the annoyed deploy sound for hours... I think I won't go through it all. :lol

zankara

Fair enough, the military aspect is definitely the worst part of the game :lol . I have only played a few stages of Grand ages, but combat does seem to be much improved. Although I think the game is more challenging overall than CivCity. Stupid Plague :( :lol

Military aspect in civcity is a piece of shit. You need time for get at least the first round of soldiers in your camp. Even if you build, the first thing and one near the other, the metal workers, and the sword maker (or wood and javelin), and even various of them, with a fortress, the guys are send too fast to have time to defend yourself, there are missions were you barely beat the soldiers they just have send, but the fuckers send a new big one.

Ranger X

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Military aspect in civcity is a piece of shit. You need time for get at least the first round of soldiers in your camp. Even if you build, the first thing and one near the other, the metal workers, and the sword maker (or wood and javelin), and even various of them, with a fortress, the guys are send too fast to have time to defend yourself, there are missions were you barely beat the soldiers they just have send, but the fuckers send a new big one.

Yess. But in the mission that I was getting owned it was still because I didn't manage my things good. You absolutely need to build a fort first thing and then evolve your city very rapidly after. And starting of course by miners for iron. Another thing that did improve my army was to not care at all for javelin dudes and making legionnaires. With 2 mines, 2 sword makers and 1 fort, I ranked in 3 garnison of 25 legionnaires in no time and litterally destroyed the ennemi waves.

But yeah, I also think the military aspect is the most boring part in the game. What tires me is the vuvuzella when each time you fucking click on something and well, the clicking. I wish the garnisons would have some AI or their own and that I could only give them positions and order if I want. Right now its click click click click click click click click click until the annoying voice over tells you everyone is dead. :/

mantidor

I finally started to play CivCity and I'm afraid the game is going to take all my free time :lol is it possible at all to have a wide screen mode?

Wow, this thread is bigger than I expected. I didn't know there were so many city-building lovers.

I love the Latin banner. It's perfect.

Ranger X

mantidor said:
I finally started to play CivCity and I'm afraid the game is going to take all my free time :lol is it possible at all to have a wide screen mode?

It will consume you!
I had some sessions of 8-10 hours in a row. Didn't notice the passing time. :lol
Personally I couldn't play widescreen. I'm playing the game stretched. :/

Toma

Schmattakopf said:
Wow, this thread is bigger than I expected. I didn't know there were so many city-building lovers.

Well, there are enough people owning the game now at least :p
I was hoping the thread could stay alive for a while :) Seems its working.

Ranger X

Toma said:
Well, there are enough people owning the game now at least :p
I was hoping the thread could stay alive for a while :) Seems its working.

Fuck me, I played until 3am again yesterday evening man. Except that now I just want to sleep on my desk at work. :p

Damn you CivCity!!

Schmattakopf said:

:lol :lol
Thanks, didnt even think it was correct, as I used google translator and thought there was possibly something wrong, but it was only for shits and giggles.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
:lol :lol
Thanks, didnt even think it was correct, as I used google translator and thought there was possibly something wrong, but it was only for shits and giggles.
It's funnier as a literal translation anyway.

Nabs

mantidor said:
go to my documents/civrome and open the config file and edit your resolution there.

Ranger X

Nabs said:
go to my documents/civrome and open the config file and edit your resolution there.

How do you modify that XML file? Window gave me some choices (word, an XML editor, etc ) but in each cases the program opens and ask me to open a template of some kind. I don't really understand...

Toma

Ranger X said:
How do you modify that XML file? Window gave me some choices (word, an XML editor, etc ) but in each cases the program opens and ask me to open a template of some kind. I don't really understand...

I downloaded some kind of XML editor from the internet, which worked fine. I have no idea where I saved it or what it was named though, so I cant look it up. Sorry =/
It was one of the first things I found.

Nabs

Ranger X said:
notepad works for me.

Ranger X

So it looks like I am done with CivCity: Rome. I finished the game except a couple of military mission --- wich are quite boring. But the peaceful campaign... What a ride!!
I loved every moment of this. I will totally continue to play other (and more complex) games in that vein. Probably Children of The Nile next.

I strongly suggest CivCity anyways to anybody who wants to tackle the genre without pulling their hair out. It's fantastic.

Toma

Ranger X said:
So it looks like I am done with CivCity: Rome. I finished the game except a couple of military mission --- wich are quite boring. But the peaceful campaign... What a ride!!
I loved every moment of this. I will totally continue to play other (and more complex) games in that vein. Probably Children of The Nile next.

I strongly suggest CivCity anyways to anybody who wants to tackle the genre without pulling their hair out. It's fantastic.

Especially as a first entry in that genre. After you dip your toe into Children of the Nile you will know why I always suggested with starting with CivCity :lol

Ranger X

Toma said:
Especially as a first entry in that genre. After you dip your toe into Children of the Nile you will know why I always suggested with starting with CivCity :lol

I played the demo a little, just to have a taste of the logics and what you have to do. The job evolving seems interesting and to have different gameplay by people classes is also another interesting touch. Even for building the stuff you have think about the bricks needed and such. But the game seems more complex, not more complicated. I don't like complicated stuff but complex stuff can be fun.

EDIT: Wow man, I just tried the Imperium Romanum demo and I love it!! Sounds like the perfect continuation of CivCity so far.

mantidor

Nooooooo game crashed and lost all progress on Creta :( :( :(

I still don't get why my fish jettys didn't get their boats, they were far from the yard but not that far, the trade port got it's ship and it was even more apart, I had to build the small boat yard right next to them.

Ranger X

mantidor said:
Nooooooo game crashed and lost all progress on Creta :( :( :(

I still don't get why my fish jettys didn't get their boats, they were far from the yard but not that far, the trade port got it's ship and it was even more apart, I had to build the small boat yard right next to them.

Wow, that's exactly the mission where I crashed and lost my progress. I did save regularly afterward.
As for the boats, I never had the problem you mentionned. For it did work even if my fish jetty and boat yard weren't THAT far. As long they are in the same shore it should work. You might have had a bug like the boat yard stalling and not working anymore. It happened to me once of twice. (it also happens with the bakery and a couple of other building types).

mantidor

Lucky me the game had automatic saves! the boat yard was indeed a bug, I deleted it and build it again and worked fine.

I'm still having a hard time trying to forget the basics of Pharaoh for this one, specially road placement, here roads aren't mandatory, so you can plan the city so much better, but I can't stop making the roads first and connecting everything, sometimes it ends up a mess.

Ranger X

mantidor said:
Lucky me the game had automatic saves! the boat yard was indeed a bug, I deleted it and build it again and worked fine.

I'm still having a hard time trying to forget the basics of Pharaoh for this one, specially road placement, here roads aren't mandatory, so you can plan the city so much better, but I can't stop making the roads first and connecting everything, sometimes it ends up a mess.

But roads still help greatly. I hope you use them!

Ranger X

Sgt.Pepper said:
The only annoyance I have is when the people don't use the friggin roads I make for them. Stop going that way!

Yeah, the AI likes to have road that are going as straight to their goal as possible. Could be a sign you can improve your layout actually. It's rare they are doing this to me when I play. (I use tons of roads)

mantidor

Sgt.Pepper said:
The only annoyance I have is when the people don't use the friggin roads I make for them. Stop going that way!

I used to think the same, this is my Pharaoh/Caesar experience of before, but in CivCity people take the shortest route, so is usually easier to see what path they are using, and then make that path a road, you can make diagonal roads if necessary. Also as Ranger said, if they are not using the roads is because you probably need to plan better the layout, so everything is close to what it needs, it can be really difficult but that is the heart of these games, placement.

Saguntum is kicking my ass. I can only make velites because wood is all I have. I can barely build my first couple forts before having a fuckload of elephants knocking at my door. Asshole Hannibal has razed my town 4 times in a row.

Top Bottom