• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CivCity: Rome/Grand Ages: Rome |OT| Rome was built in a day

zankara

Ranger X said:
Ok so if I build a house too far from their job, they won't take it?
This is wierd because for the other way around, looks like they can walk miles!! If you build a field or something very far from your people, you will see little dudes run from the other side of the map if need be, just so they go have a job there.

I always have a bad employment rating when my cities are getting bigger. In the beginning it's easy, each time you have 100 homeless you build 1 house. But I can never keep up. It would have been good to have a stat about how many jobs a building gives when you're about to build it. This way I could always have houses accordingly.

The dudes looking for jobs will travel to anywhere from the town centre, but once they have a job it seems there is limited distance for housing. I am not entirely sure about how to completely get rid of the homeless, maybe I just don't build enough houses?

Also, I always seem to have a negative rating for unemployment and I'm not sure how to resolve this. If I build lots of jobs the vagrants will fill them but after a while more come to the town centre. So it seeems to be an endless cycle.

Ok I'm back home after a long-ass road trip. Sucks that I have to start all over because the game is not cloud supported, but I won't dismay in my efforts to raise my unwashed, naked peasants to glorious roman citizens.

Ranger X

zankara said:
The dudes looking for jobs will travel to anywhere from the town centre, but once they have a job it seems there is limited distance for housing. I am not entirely sure about how to completely get rid of the homeless, maybe I just don't build enough houses?

Also, I always seem to have a negative rating for unemployment and I'm not sure how to resolve this. If I build lots of jobs the vagrants will fill them but after a while more come to the town centre. So it seeems to be an endless cycle.

Exact cycle I am stuck in. The more jobs I try to give, the more people comes to town and the more homeless I get. Wierd. But there's always something broken with those type or games or that we don't grasp completely.

I wish maybe someone can find a solution!

zankara

I tried going for a zero homeless rate. So for every bulding I built I also made the appropriate houses. Basically if a farm has three workers then you will need three houses. But, I started running out of room to build the houses pretty quickly.

Also, once the houses get to palace level it seems almost impossible to please them :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yeah, the vagrants are pissing me off hardcore. I had like a -6 on happiness scale, solely do to them. I had some 20-25 hours, multiple farms and shops for everyone. My Warehouses was loaded with dozens of extras for each item. Yet these fucks just kept building up and I eventually ran out of room.

Ranger X

So far what I find to be the best strategy is to go as small as possible. Smallest town possible, just enough to meet the goals and that's all. Sad however that we cannot have a "clean" and "perfect" city though. I consider this a game flaw. But the game is still so fun anyways. :)

I will try and search for a mod or something.

EDIT: :lol There doesn't seem to be any satisfying mods out there (only searched with google)

zankara

Completed all peaceful missions. That last level was a pain trying to get civilization rating up, completely ran out of room to build anything. Wish there was a way to remove trees and flatten land.

Now onto the military missions.

zankara said:
Completed all peaceful missions. That last level was a pain trying to get civilization rating up, completely ran out of room to build anything. Wish there was a way to remove trees and flatten land.

Now onto the military missions.
This. Fuck you nature!

Ranger X

Yeah I thought that with research I would make them shovels or something. But looks like Romans never thought about that. lol

Well, lovely city I have in Saguntum done. Didnt even need to make all the houses they told me to get to the end of the mission (it was only to get 25000 denarii).

And fuck you Cartago and your fucking Elephants! Its horrible the fighting during the city map, even having a great army, is best to send them to the world map when they go thorugh their doors.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Well, lovely city I have in Saguntum done. Didnt even need to make all the houses they told me to get to the end of the mission (it was only to get 25000 denarii).

And fuck you Cartago and your fucking Elephants! Its horrible the fighting during the city map, even having a great army, is best to send them to the world map when they go thorugh their doors.

Screenshot of your Cities!

And:

My gf is trying to conquer the hostile cities in a map where she is told to do it. She build up forts, and sends all the soldiers outside of town, onto the enemy city. They stop right before/next to the city and wont attack it. Anyone got a clue why?

Toma said:
Screenshot of your Cities!

And:

My gf is trying to conquer the hostile cities in a map where she is told to do it. She build up forts, and sends all the soldiers outside of town, onto the enemy city. They stop right before/next to the city and wont attack it. Anyone got a clue why?

I think you cant attack some cities, like the mission were you are near cartago. If shes is been said that you have to attack them but you cant, then there may be a bug.
As I said, the first mission I could attack the city (it appears a sword icon if you place it on top), but when I tried the same thing with Cartago in one of the missions, the sword icon never appeared.

Ranger X

What's the conditions so a Trade post will start working??
In my previous cities it was working well and now it doesn't + I am failing requests because of that.

Here's the situation:

-It's a land post
-There a granary and warehouse nearby.
-It's near the edge of the map where the land trades go.
-I have stone, marble, wood, marble, linen, and wine.

The hell? I though the trade could start as soon as you have wine or something.

Ranger X

Here's a shot ;)
Small city, no homeless people yet. Still to find why I cannot make the trade post to work.

CivCityRome01.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ranger X said:
What's the conditions so a Trade post will start working??
In my previous cities it was working well and now it doesn't + I am failing requests because of that.

Here's the situation:

-It's a land post
-There a granary and warehouse nearby.
-It's near the edge of the map where the land trades go.
-I have stone, marble, wood, marble, linen, and wine.

The hell? I though the trade could start as soon as you have wine or something.

You established the trade route with the button on the map menu?
And put in the correct ware on "buy" or "sell", depending what you want to do? And checked whether there is a city which actually buys or sells what you want to sell or buy?

Damn plague in Grand Ages wiped out my whole city. I had a few fountains and a herbalist shop, but it wasn't enough to hold back the epidemic. In about 30 seconds 80% of my city was abandoned, all production stopped, and debt started piling up. I could've spent the money to repopulate every house, but I figure it's better to start over and build the Insulae in rings with fountains in the center.

Confidence Man said:
Damn plague in Grand Ages wiped out my whole city. I had a few fountains and a herbalist shop, but it wasn't enough to hold back the epidemic. In about 30 seconds 80% of my city was abandoned, all production stopped, and debt started piling up. I could've spent the money to repopulate every house, but I figure it's better to start over and build the Insulae in rings with fountains in the center.
i love those random disasters :lol.

Ranger X

Toma said:
You established the trade route with the button on the map menu?
And put in the correct ware on "buy" or "sell", depending what you want to do? And checked whether there is a city which actually buys or sells what you want to sell or buy?

That was my problem. The previous missions the trade routes were set automatically so I didn't know I had to do this. Cool, now I am good to go but I realise I need a port! :)

Toma

shintoki said:
Yeah, but I don't want small cities. I want my empire to be a goddamn empire!

I read somewhere that its an interesting tactic to build 2-3 city centres on a map and connect them via roads. So that you actually build 3 smallers self-sustaining cities instead of one big. Def. going to try that.

Ranger X said:
Here's a shot ;)
Small city, no homeless people yet. Still to find why I cannot make the trade post to work.

And I really like your setup with the living houses :) Might try that out as well, since it seems you have less problems with space for shops.

Toma said:
I read somewhere that its an interesting tactic to build 2-3 city centres on a map and connect them via roads. So that you actually build 3 smallers self-sustaining cities instead of one big. Def. going to try that.
Mmmmm

And lovely city you have there Ranger.
Mine is more like streets and avenues instead of squares.

BTW, is there a mode to put the game in window mode?

oracrest

Toma said:

that sounds how a real Roman city might be set up, considering most people have to walk to everything, and then one larger grand building like a Coliseum.

I think I am going to take a try at building a city when I get back from vacation.

Toma

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Mmmmm

And lovely city you have there Ranger.
Mine is more like streets and avenues instead of squares.

BTW, is there a mode to put the game in window mode?

Would love to know that as well, couldnt find anything yet though. I cant imagine that there is no way to force a game into window mode though. Hopefully, someone finds something.

I retried the Tarentum mission again, everything went better than expected. My biggest surprise is that city happiness never fell below 90. :lol

Ranger X

I am now at the second peaceful mission in Massilia. I need to grow my civilization rating and this is where I am fucked. The game speaks of an aqueduct SYSTEM. In my mind this means pipes. I can't believe you can only have a cistern near the river and that there's no way to cover the city. I tried put some other cisterns near, or other towers too. They don't connect. If we can't make pipes, we can only grow the civilisation near rivers...

So I'll need to start another city near the river. If I move the houses I have already, the stupid peeps won't follow and will become homeless so my only issues is to put everything near the river. If you do that, with carpenters, mills, fields, temples and shops, you have no place to put the houses together so they are under the influence of all that...

Ranger X

I also notice that the granaries and warehouse seems to communicate only if they are nearby. So basically there are distance for everything to learn. I wish the player would have better feedback and graphical zones to manage this better. Right now, having only houses zones is shit.

I suppose this type of problem is solved in Grand Ages?

zankara

Ranger X said:
I am now at the second peaceful mission in Massilia. I need to grow my civilization rating and this is where I am fucked. The game speaks of an aqueduct SYSTEM. In my mind this means pipes. I can't believe you can only have a cistern near the river and that there's no way to cover the city. I tried put some other cisterns near, or other towers too. They don't connect. If we can't make pipes, we can only grow the civilisation near rivers...

So I'll need to start another city near the river. If I move the houses I have already, the stupid peeps won't follow and will become homeless so my only issues is to put everything near the river. If you do that, with carpenters, mills, fields, temples and shops, you have no place to put the houses together so they are under the influence of all that...

Cisterns don't have to be by the river, but do need to be by an aqueduct. So you could probably extend your aqueduct further inland towards your city and then place a cistern. That's what I usually have to do on the bigger maps.

Ranger X

Slowly getting there! When you place an aqueduct toward, hold the button and drag a line. This makes an aqueduc line. Sadly, they cannot seem to turn and you can't seem to make branches either or I didn't find how (yet). So this means plan where you aqueduct will be in advance and draw it one shot!

Also, another trick is to move house. I am starting to do this and it helps making place for all the crap you need to give your citizen. Don't care too much about the homeless, people always transfert when you move a house and if ever there's homeless people you can try putting new houses in certain holes you're not using yet.

So yeah, my civilization rating is climbing. Slowly but surely.

CivCityRome02.jpg

:)

Toma

Ranger X said:
Slowly getting there! When you place an aqueduct toward, hold the button and drag a line. This makes an aqueduc line. Sadly, they cannot seem to turn and you can't seem to make branches either or I didn't find how (yet). So this means plan where you aqueduct will be in advance and draw it one shot!

:)
You can actually do this. When you did your first part of the aqueduct, just build another aqueduct on top of it and drag it into another direction.

Like in that picture:
219v5aa.jpg

Ranger X

Finally got my civilization rating damn! :lol

Aaaand unto the next assignment! I will try a military one now.

Toma, how do you get that top view?? Can't reach that far with the camera just with the mouse wheel...

Toma

Ranger X said:
Finally got my civilization rating damn! :lol

Aaaand unto the next assignment!

Do you actually need sleep or something? Seems you are playing the whole time :lol
Anyway, gf finished every level after 33 hours :) 33 hours entertainment for 1 buck. Cant complain about that ;)

Toma

Ranger X said:
Toma, how do you get that top view?? Can't reach that far with the camera just with the mouse wheel...

Wait, wait. Let me quote the HINT section in the second post :D

Hints:

CivCity:

You can click on the "lock" in the lower right corner, next to the minimap to unlock your view and zoom farther out.

You can turn of the "advisor" in the sound option screen. He is a bit annoying after a while but very helpful in some cases. If you turn it off, be sure to check your granaries regularly for food.

You can change the CivCity resolution directly in the Documents\CivCity Rome\CivCityRome.GraphicsSettings.xml file. That gives you more options than the launcher, though 2d and such still gets stretched if you set a 16:10 or :9 resolution.

You'll love the games a thousand times more with the new view.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Is there any way to do a mass repopulation of abandoned houses in Grand Ages or do you have to do it individually? It's not a huge pain to do so but I'd hate to be wasting all of this time if there were an easier way :lol

Ranger X said:
I also notice that the granaries and warehouse seems to communicate only if they are nearby. So basically there are distance for everything to learn. I wish the player would have better feedback and graphical zones to manage this better. Right now, having only houses zones is shit.

I suppose this type of problem is solved in Grand Ages?

There is, but its rather difficult to see, and even more, if you dont unlock the camera (like you said you didnt had). Is a much bigger circle than the house one, so its difficult to find the borders, and the colour is piss yellow and blends to much with the terrain.

Grand Ages Rome have a blue circle line for everything, and its very easy to see. But rather than used to were your citizens can reach (becuase they are not important), is used for reach of the building itself, and you cant construct anything outside of those circles. As more buildings are done, more circles you have, and more far you can build.

Ranger X

Toma said:
Do you actually need sleep or something? Seems you are playing the whole time :lol
Anyway, gf finished every level after 33 hours :) 33 hours entertainment for 1 buck. Cant complain about that ;)

I'm on vacation :lol
This means I can exagerrate a little. I already have something like 20 hours into the game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I haven't played CotN in a while...forgot how much the peasants badmouth the nobility with their random audio comments. :lol

Ok what the fuck. I'm on the Tarento assignment, and my fucking peasants won't collect any wood. I can't get beds made because these lazy assholes will just sleep on the wood camp, then stand up and the go to sleep again without doing any work. What am I doing wrong?

Ranger X

SteelAttack said:
Ok what the fuck. I'm on the Tarento assignment, and my fucking peasants won't collect any wood. I can't get beds made because these lazy assholes will just sleep on the wood camp, then stand up and the go to sleep again without doing any work. What am I doing wrong?

The lumberjacks are really dumb. When there's no wood near enough, they just sit there.
Move their camps nearer the woods and you're set.

Ranger X said:
The lumberjacks are really dumb. When there's no wood near enough, they just sit there.
Move their camps nearer the woods and you're set.
I have placed the camp as near as possible, and these turds are still sleeping. :lol
Edit: Nevermind it worked! Thanks. :D
Edit 2: Well, things are starting to go better now. I'm only a dozen barrels of wine or so short of beating this assignment. I stopped caring about vagrants, and just let the city regulate itself, so to speak. I am slowly building up small house groups, then making sure they have everything they need to upgrade, and keep researching constantly.

Every now and then city happiness starts to fall, mostly because of unemployment, but instead of building more and more things for the hungry vagrants to work in, I just let them go until the city reaches a self-sustainable pop limit, then things settle down, and happiness starts to go up again. That way I can make sure my city is growing at the pace I want it to, instead of bending to the will of the unwashed mob. :lol

Ranger X

I don't care about vagrants either. We don't have control over them anyways and they regularly arrive in town. What you have control of however are the homeless. Those I try to not have them. By looking at the number of employees when you click on a building you know how many houses you need in the surroundings of that building. If you put their houses too far, they will not find it and will be homeless. (they sleep at their job lol)

And yes it would be a mistake to go all out and expand too fast. You can keep a better control over everything by going as small as possible. (expanding only when you absolutely need to).

Last thing, question for anyone...
Is there a way I can change the delivery routes between granaries and warehouses? Right now I would like a certain warehouse to ship stuff to a new empty one I just build instead of the one its currently tagged to.

zankara

Ranger X said:
I don't care about vagrants either. We don't have control over them anyways and they regularly arrive in town. What you have control of however are the homeless. Those I try to not have them. By looking at the number of employees when you click on a building you know how many houses you need in the surroundings of that building. If you put their houses too far, they will not find it and will be homeless. (they sleep at their job lol)

And yes it would be a mistake to go all out and expand too fast. You can keep a better control over everything by going as small as possible. (expanding only when you absolutely need to).

Last thing, question for anyone...
Is there a way I can change the delivery routes between granaries and warehouses? Right now I would like a certain warehouse to ship stuff to a new empty one I just build instead of the one its currently tagged to.

Yup. Click the warehouse or granary with the goods, then click the donkey icon in top left and choose which warehouse/granary you want the goods to go to.

I wish there was a way to choose which warehouse/granaries that farms/shops send their goods to instead of just the closest one.

EDIT: Have finished the CivCity campaign, overall I really enjoyed it (thanks Polk). My main issue is that once you are used to the mechanics then nearly all games play the same, but I feel this is quite common to the city builder genre.
Interested to see how the game mechanics are different in Grand Ages, but I think I will give the Roman setting a break and try Children of the Nile first.

EDIT2: In CivCity does anyone know how to increase security in civilization rating? It was always at zero for me even though I had built every building possible.

Ranger X

Nice man. Now when handling the goods properly things went faster! tks.

About security rating, I didn't check that stat or had it as an objective yet.

Toma

zankara said:
EDIT2: In CivCity does anyone know how to increase security in civilization rating? It was always at zero for me even though I had built every building possible.

I wouldnt wonder if you just need a shitload of defense, forts and fire towers.

Ranger X

God this game is addictive. I am back at the peaceful campaign, Creta island. I need to have small Domus. First time it goes this far in the buildings chains. Exciting! :D
I'm really starting to get some effectiveness in my city planning now. I also manages movement alot better than before!

CivCityRome04.jpg

:D

Ranger X said:
God this game is addictive. I am back at the peaceful campaign, Creta island. I need to have small Domus. First time it goes this far in the buildings chains. Exciting! :D
I'm really starting to get some effectiveness in my city planning now. I also manages movement alot better than before!

CivCityRome04.jpg

:D

It depends how are you doing the campaign, you can take different paths. That is my next mission, but Ive done those buildings in other missions. :)

BTW, I cant understand how with that style of housing, can your villagers arrive to all their needs. I have moments were I have all their needs inside the circle and the idiots dont even use them and their houses de-evolve.
Even giving them more free time, they stay in their fucking houses doing gym or sleeping or what not. But going to get their needs, even if its just the building near them, no sir!

BTW, Im hating the employing system the game uses. There are always people unemployed when you dont need them.

Top Bottom