• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CivCity: Rome/Grand Ages: Rome |OT| Rome was built in a day

Catshade

Grand Ages Rome works with my Win 7 32 bit machine, though due to my integrated GPU, I have to play everything in low graphical setting. :lol

Ranger X

So, does someone know if downgrading DirectX even just temporarily is safe? (or doable at all?)

Also, since I am on Vista 64bit, is there any previous DirectX version working with that OS ?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
As a heads up, there is a demo of Grand Ages: Rome. Unless the demo works while the full game doesn't?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ranger X said:
So, does someone know if downgrading DirectX even just temporarily is safe? (or doable at all?)

Also, since I am on Vista 64bit, is there any previous DirectX version working with that OS ?

I have Vista 64bit and only DX 10, wont be upgrading to DX11 ever after reading that.
After searching a bit around it seems DX upgrades are "a one way street", no way to downgrade. You could still set up a secondary OS on a different partition though... but thats a lot of stuff for playing one game.
For other games it worked to "force" a certain DX version upon the game. Not sure whether it will work with steam though:
http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/59397-force-directx-9-a.html

Easy_D said:
As a heads up, there is a demo of Grand Ages: Rome. Unless the demo works while the full game doesn't?
Cant imagine that. Good call, will add to the OP.

markot

Banned
Huh >_<? Its up to the games what Direct x version they use and how they use it, not to mention the drivers of the vid cards.

I dont think having Dx 11 cards/installs would have anything to do with it >.>

Ranger X

Shit man, talk about being fucked. Anyways, looks like the dev of the game is aware of the problem. I hope they can patch that...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
markot said:
Huh >_<? Its up to the games what Direct x version they use and how they use it, not to mention the drivers of the vid cards.

I dont think having Dx 11 cards/installs would have anything to do with it >.>

I also have the 64 bit version of Vista though. And it works for me. Only overarching difference seems to be DX?
What else could it be?

Ranger X said:
Shit man, talk about being fucked. Anyways, looks like the dev of the game is aware of the problem. I hope they can patch that...

When was the last time you updated the drivers from your video card? Maybe you can search around whether you find incompatibilities with that driver on the net.

Ranger X

Toma said:
I also have the 64 bit version of Vista though. And it works for me. Only overarching difference seems to be DX?
What else could it be?

When was the last time you updated the drivers from your video card? Maybe you can search around whether you find incompatibilities with that driver on the net.

It's been a while and my card is quite old actually. What's wierd is that the game simply doesn't install. The DirectX installation windows pops and then after a while doing nothing, it simply closes. No error messages no nothing.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Lol i've bought all the games except Imperium Romanum Gold, won't get to play them anytime soon but I can't complain if there even as half good as you make them to be i'll be happy :p, thanks for the suggestions.

markot

Banned
Ranger X said:
It's been a while and my card is quite old actually. What's wierd is that the game simply doesn't install. The DirectX installation windows pops and then after a while doing nothing, it simply closes. No error messages no nothing.
Maybe the download was corrupted >_<?

I have W7 64, an crappy 4770 vid card but I have the latest drivers.

I dont know, try reinstalling the vid card drivers and make sure you have the latest ones. Sometimes graphics card drivers can screw up games. But if Dx isnt installing properly, I dont think that could be down to much beyond a download glitch.

Also if you have an old card, you dont have DX11.

oracrest

Toma said:
You want first impressions? I wrote everything down that crossed my mind :lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25150125&postcount=10901

How were you involved in the game? Came out pretty good, no matter what you did though. :) Just read back the thread, lots of great initial impressions. Hope that makes you happy ;)

Oh and CivCity inspired the whole "Comeback" of this genre on GAF and this thread btw. And I was gifting it a modest amount of times to some people :D

I am glad that you liked it! I was pleasantly surprised to see it up on the steam during the sale.

I made mainly buildings and other environment objects. Specifically, the Circus Maximus, large and small Temples, farms, ships, barracks, arches, gladiator schools, houses, and a bunch of others. About halfof the buildings in your link image.

It is certainly good to see your hard work was rewarding for others in the end. Game criticism can be brutal (a good thing, really!) and it is worth it if the game is good!

Toma

Easy_D said:
You're the exception to the rule.

Is your video card driver up to date? Just a question. Could always help in these cases =/

vocab said:
Downloading, and checking for my self. Win7 64 ultimate here w/ 5850.
it should work on your system definitely.

Toma said:
Is your video card driver up to date? Just a question. Could always help in these cases =/
I have Catalyst 10.12 (Latest for me) which I downloaded the one with the driver update in there as well.

markot

Banned
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Wtf.

I played teh game for like 2 hours after installing it, then quit, tried it again and now I am getting the same error >_<

I am guessing it has to do with the graphics settings.... gonna try and reset them to default to see if it fixes it....

lameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Ranger X

markot said:
Maybe the download was corrupted >_<?

I have W7 64, an crappy 4770 vid card but I have the latest drivers.

I dont know, try reinstalling the vid card drivers and make sure you have the latest ones. Sometimes graphics card drivers can screw up games. But if Dx isnt installing properly, I dont think that could be down to much beyond a download glitch.

Also if you have an old card, you dont have DX11.

I have a Radeon HD 4800. Isn't this getting old? And according to my dxdiag I am on DX11. Right now my peripheral manager tells me that my drivers are up to date but i'll go see on ATI's website or something...

markot

Banned
Ok, disabled the Steam ingame over lay in steam options and it works now >_< Steam problem not a game problem it seems.

Ranger X said:
Hmm, LOOKS LIKE GRAND AGES DOESN'T WORK FOR ME EITHER.

I'm on a windows Vista 64bit Home with DX11.

Basically, people on DX 11 are fucked.
Works fine for me on Win 7 64 bit. Seems to be an issue not solely related to DX 11.

Toma

markot said:
Ok, disabled the Steam ingame over lay in steam options and it works now >_< Steam problem not a game problem it seems.

Can the others with problems try that as well please?
Other than that, the best suggestion would be a video card driver update as it seems.

Toma

oracrest said:
I am glad that you liked it! I was pleasantly surprised to see it up on the steam during the sale.

I made mainly buildings and other environment objects. Specifically, the Circus Maximus, large and small Temples, farms, ships, barracks, arches, gladiator schools, houses, and a bunch of others. About halfof the buildings in your link image.

It is certainly good to see your hard work was rewarding for others in the end. Game criticism can be brutal (a good thing, really!) and it is worth it if the game is good!

Still crazy though to see that a game that still manages to convince this many people (just look at the thread!) and still people dont buy it. Even for 1$. =( The "metacritics" review score of 65% is really a bit harsh and pushes people undeservedly away from this game (Even though I agree that criticism is a good thing)

And now I know who I need to think of when I build my next city with 12 goat farms, all created by YOU. :lol

Quixzlizx said:
Six more dollars gone :lol
Which games did you buy, if I may ask? :)

Ranger X

There was a catalyst center update from december on AMD's website. I installed that and it did upgrade my card's driver so I am going to try again and see what happens now.

Toma

Repost because most people probably missed it because of the trouble shooting side-tracking:

Anyone playing CivCity, check this out:
Was looking around a bit and found a dedicated fan site (which still has people asking stuff)
anyway, there are two interesting mods you should consider.

1. A mod that changes the shop symbols to be actually identifiable.

index.php

Download Link, tested by me before and then uploaded

2. And secondly and even more awesome:
A mod that rebalances the game so that technology gets more useful. Now you actually NEED to research before you can buy stuff and better technologies will get more expensive so that you wont end every game with 60.000 Denarii. But I especially like the fact that you need to use the technologies to get acces to every building structure and dont have everything from the start. The author said its not tested to 100% perfectness but should do it.
Download Link, tested by me before and afterwards uploaded

Be sure to back up the files you overwrite though!

Ranger X

Is the speed of Steam really inconsistant for you guys?

I downloaded CivCity at like 2mb/sec and now Grand Ages doesn't want to go over 900kb...

:(

AleeN634

Tried out the Grand Ages demo and decided to pick it up for 2 bucks. So much for no purchases during the Steam sale :lol

Goddammit. Seems like I fucked up in the second Tarentum mission, since I place most of the large houses to the north west and the river is far to the south east; placing the water thing only reaches like 2 houses, that are still small!

I don't destroy things since my goat farms are to the east. I guess I should build more houses and more tunic/butcher/bar/fucking everything once again.

Ranger X

Ok so I re-downloaded / re-installed Grand Ages and it still doesn't work for me.

Now however I get an error message from windows. You know that message that says an application just shutted down and window is trying to find why...
And all this despise that my graphic card's drivers are up to date and I also did disable the steam in-game overlay thing.

So it looks like I'll never play my purchase. What a welcome back! (I'm usually pissed at PC gaming being just a bunch of fucking problems and it's been a fucking while I didn't play a game on PC because of that. Looks like the second I try, the malediction is back! Or maybe you PC gamers have an extreme tolerance to problems or something).

Ranger X

markot said:
Did you try disabling the steam overlay?

RangerX said:
Now however I get an error message from windows. You know that message that says an application just shutted down and window is trying to find why...
And all this despise that my graphic card's drivers are up to date and I also did disable the steam in-game overlay thing.

:(

I bought Grand Ages. I only got to play it for an hour, but it looks great! It looks like I'm going to have to spen some time with the tutorials though

Last game I played like this was Caesar II more than a decade ago, and this brings back the warm fuzzies of nostalgia. Thanks for the great recommendation!

Edit: I'm playing on a Mac via Boot Camp, in Win7 with a GTX 285. No problems here.

vocab

Ranger X said:
Yes I did. Does nothing. I asked Steam a refund now. I dunno if they will bother lol

Did you try any compatibility modes or even try to run as an administrator?

Ranger X

vocab said:
Did you try any compatibility modes or even try to run as an administrator?

You mean run steam as an administrator? As far as I know I am the only user in the computer and an admin.

EDIT: I had the option to "run as an admin" if I right click on my steam shortcut. It doesn't seem to do anything though, the game still crashes.

EDIT 2: That's wierd. If I go check the windows accounts it says I am an admin but I still get the "run as admin" when right-clicking on certain applications exe. So I am an admin or not? lol

vocab

Ranger X said:
You mean run steam as an administrator? As far as I know I am the only user in the computer and an admin.

EDIT: I had the option to "run as an admin" if I right click on my steam shortcut. It doesn't seem to do anything though, the game still crashes.

EDIT 2: That's wierd. If I go check the windows accounts it says I am an admin but I still get the "run as admin" when right-clicking on certain applications exe. So I am an admin or not? lol

No, create a shortcut to desktop, and go into the compatibility options.

srenity

Neo Member
K, GAF. I've bought CivCity and really like it so far (started on Campaign). I was looking for a sim game that's similar to Sierra's Caesar from back in the day and this seems pretty close!

For $1, it's a steal too. Thanks guys :D

Teetris, I assume you've played Master of Atlantis: Poseidon, right? It's a great expansion.

Emperor was a good follow-up...it wasn't as good as Zeus but it had a few unique elements of its own, and it's the best-looking of the series.

Ranger X

vocab said:
No, create a shortcut to desktop, and go into the compatibility options.

I right click on Steam deskstop shortcut or Grand Ages desktop shortcut and I don't see something called like "compatibility options"...

demolitio

Damn, Grand Ages and the expansion for cheap? This is one of those times where I wish I had shit in my checking account instead of a wad of cash in my wallet. :lol

zankara

Really enjoying CivCity. Only complaint so far is that you can only trade one item per trade post. Also, setting up movement between different warehouses and granaries is a bit frustrating since you can only choose one resource at a time.

vocab

Ranger X said:
I right click on Steam deskstop shortcut or Grand Ages desktop shortcut and I don't see something called like "compatibility options"...

Make one off the main .exe file in your steam folder.

Ranger X

Just like when I am playing RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 or Sim City 4, I am addicted to CivCity and can't stop playing. Shit it's 4am here...

markot

Banned
Hmm. Ok, apparently this game does not like dual moniter set ups.

Press Win key + P and select computer only to disable your secondary moniter and the game should work ok.

Ledsen

Ranger X said:
Hmm, LOOKS LIKE GRAND AGES DOESN'T WORK FOR ME EITHER.

I'm on a windows Vista 64bit Home with DX11.

Basically, people on DX 11 are fucked.

I'm on W7 64, DX11 and have no problems. So it can't be just that. Seems like most people having problems are running Vista?

Top Bottom