• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CivCity: Rome/Grand Ages: Rome |OT| Rome was built in a day

Ranger X

Toma said:
Finally a CotN impression :D Thanks!

Glad to hear. Just out of interest: What exactly made you sign up? One particular game?

CivCity for 1$. Can't pass that since I love SimCity 4 and such games.
I am playing it right now and I am surprised, it's very cool. I like the citizen devellopment aspect right now. Seeing them "evolve" is interesting.

Only thing I don't like is that I can't seem to find a resolution that gives me a correct ratio and hate playing a game "stretched". And well, the game doesn't reach the resolution of my monitor so...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ranger X said:
CivCity for 1$. Can't pass that since I love SimCity 4 and such games.
I am playing it right now and I am surprised, it's very cool. I like the citizen devellopment aspect right now. Seeing them "evolve" is interesting.

Only thing I don't like is that I can't seem to find a resolution that gives me a correct ratio and hate playing a game "stretched". And well, the game doesn't reach the resolution of my monitor so...

Yeah. Valid complaint. Only thing that irks me about it. I think I will get over it for the price of 1$ though. But play it a bit more, if you like it, I'd strongly suggest picking up the Grand Ages + Expansion for Eye candy purposes if you can handle a more complex systems. :D
Tomorrow they'll be up to 25$ together again. And after this sale no one will be convinced to bite that. I guess we need to gather the games today so that we can talk about it in the next weeks :lol

Could someone gift those to me? CivCity doesn't show up for me and Grand Ages shows up for 4 I can buy back a steam in return

EDIT: Done

Ranger X

Toma said:
Yeah. Valid complaint. Only thing that irks me about it. I think I will get over it for the price of 1$ though. But play it a bit more, if you like it, I'd strongly suggest picking up the Grand Ages + Expansion for Eye candy purposes if you can handle a more complex systems. :D
Tomorrow they'll be up to 25$ together again. And after this sale no one will be convinced to bite that. I guess we need to gather the games today so that we can talk about it in the next weeks :lol

Yeah I bought both Grand Ages. I suppose I will eventually play them. :lol

EDIT: woah wait, is this normal that I don't see the expansion in my library? I only see Grand Ages the main game...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Btw, I'd love to see your city set-ups. Post some screens!
Will make a few later as well.

Ranger X said:
Yeah I bought both Grand Ages. I suppose I will eventually play them. :lol

EDIT: woah wait, is this normal that I don't see the expansion in my library? I only see Grand Ages the main game...

Yeah, perfectly fine. If you can see the campaign button for Reign of Augustus in the main menu and the starts with a huge ass screen saying "REIGN OF AUGUSTUS", you are good to go.

Ranger X

So is that normal the expansion for Grand Ages doesn't show up in my Steam library?? Because I am 100% positive I bought it.

Ranger X said:
So is that normal the expansion for Grand Ages doesn't show up in my Steam library?? Because I am 100% positive I bought it.
it's part of the original game. just enter the key when asked

Toma

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Toma, how do i make a water tank with the aqueduct in civcity. I can place it anyhere, it says that it needs the aquaduct near but it doesnt work.

219v5aa.jpg

This was my first Aqueduct/Water tank. As soon as your aqueduct is finished, you should be able to place the Water tank right next to it (Not below).
Later you get a research where a water tank supplies the whole city without the need of having him right in the middle <- godsend for bigger cities, since it clears up a whole lot of space.

And yeah, in this city I had 12 goat farms to give my citizens lots of rations to compensate for a bad working situation :lol

Lumine

I tried the demo for Grand Ages: Rome. I'm buying it. I wish it had a little more personality though and a less annoying camera, but it seems nice enough considering the price. Anyone know how good the expansion is? I think I'll skip it for now.

Too bad civcity doesn't have a demo on steam, but I don't really need to buy another game anyway. :p

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Imperium Romanum Gold, Children of the Nile + Add-on, Grand Ages: Rome + Add-on, and CivCity Rome, all for $14.08. How can I go wrong? Bought.

Now to find the time to play them... *mumbles something about Steam*

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bought all 3. Demoed Grand Ages and enjoyed it immensely. CivCity is installed now and I've been giving it a go to get back in shape with City Building. And just bought CoN today.

Toma

Lumine said:
I tried the demo for Grand Ages: Rome. I'm buying it. I wish it had a little more personality though and a less annoying camera, but it seems nice enough considering the price. Anyone know how good the expansion is? I think I'll skip it for now.

Too bad civcity doesn't have a demo on steam, but I don't really need to buy another game anyway. :p

If you can manage Grand Ages, it should suffice. Until you played through the campaign and you check the price for the addon, only to go FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU when you see that it went back up to 15. :p

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Toma said:
If you can manage Grand Ages, it should suffice. Until you played through the campaign and you check the price for the addon, only to go FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU when you see that it went back up to 15. :p
The expansion sounds pretty hefty too. Where it mentions that it adds in the conquest part of the city management.

Toma

shintoki said:
The expansion sounds pretty hefty too. Where it mentions that it adds in the conquest part of the city management.

Which reminds me, i wanted to ask you about that. What does a "conquest" mode mean in this game? Did you read more about that?

And glad to see you arent ignoring me anymore :p

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Toma said:
Which reminds me, i wanted to ask you about that. What does a "conquest" mode mean in this game? Did you read more about that?

And glad to see you arent ignoring me anymore :p
Nien, nor have I really put any time into the title yet. Other than 40-50 minutes. I read it on wiki for the Exp

"
The Reign of Augustus is a mix of previous releases with a city builder mode (as in Imperivm Civitas games) and a conquest mode (as in Imperivm RTC games, like Imperivm III: Great Battles of Rome). It is focused on politics, conquests and government in the time of Augustus.[2]"

It sounded like it was a pretty hefty expansion, and it's 3$ anyways. So if you like the demo, or Grand Ages. Might as well pick it up now while it's 80% off.

Ah, very cool to see Grand Ages: Rome getting some namedropping action. What a great and underappreciated game. Or maybe not underappreciated, just completely overlooked.

I have some problem in the campaign in the first city where you have to do some soldiers in civcity.

I need 6 insulas, so I need to make bread.
I put a market to get flour from another city and the mill, but for some strange reason the market doesnt work, as there is anything in the window to comerce.

What do i have to do?

Toma

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I have some problem in the campaign in the first city where you have to do some soldiers in civcity.

I need 6 insulas, so I need to make bread.
I put a market to get flour from another city and the mill, but for some strange reason the market doesnt work, as there is anything in the window to comerce.

What do i have to do?

If I remember correctly the other city wanted to trade you wheat, not flour. But you need to look at the map, whether the trade route is already established. And if so, you need to click on the market and choose what goods you want to trade, and how much of it. The rest takes a while but you should see the caravan leave your city a while later.

Toma

DM Prince! Before you suffer too much!.. There are catastrophes in Grand Ages!

phew. Almost forgot to tell him.

Fake Edit: No! I am too late! :lol

But seriously,
Hope it wasnt too bad though ;)

zankara

Thanks for this thread, I wouldn't have seen these otherwise. Bought Grandages:Rome and Children of the Nile. CivCity is not available in my region :(.

Toma

Retro

Just wanted to drop this off in here, since it was quite an annoyance to my girlfriend as she was playing CivCity: Rome.

1. You can unlock your camera angles and thus increase the zoom levels as well as have almost inifinite camera angles. To do this, you will type the following while in the city view of the game: Hit your ENTER key then type the word NERO then hit your ENTER key again. Then press your SHIFT+C keys. Your camera angle is now unlocked.

I'm looking for a way to change the resolution, apparently this was a pretty big criticism of the game when it came out. Still, for $1, not bad... also, it has a lot of really awesome features (shops can be placed in the lower floor of an insulae, how long I've waited for a rome game to get that right!).

Polk

zankara said:
Thanks for this thread, I wouldn't have seen these otherwise. Bought Grandages:Rome and Children of the Nile. CivCity is not available in my region :(.
what's your steamid

Ledsen

Bought Grand Ages for my gf. She loves building beautiful cities and managing resources and economy so it should suit her just fine. I guess she can play it on easy since she hates fighting.

Toma

echoshifting said:
This thread squeezed me into a double-dip on COTN :p Damn you toma

Well maybe that $3.74 will help resuscitate Tilted Mill...

Well, maybe its a soothing thought that you werent the only one who I got into buying these games. But seriously. You all want it anyway. I am more the common expression to represent your subconscious.

Toma said:
Well, maybe its a soothing thought that you werent the only one who I got into buying these games. But seriously. You all want it anyway. I am more the common expression to represent your subconscious.

You're absolutely right, I only ever needed the smallest excuse to pick these up.

COTN is the only one I had played before the sale, and I hope plenty of people grab it! That's one hell of a diamond in the rough, rough, hideous graphics.

Toma

Retro said:
1. You can unlock your camera angles and thus increase the zoom levels as well as have almost inifinite camera angles. To do this, you will type the following while in the city view of the game: Hit your ENTER key then type the word NERO then hit your ENTER key again. Then press your SHIFT+C keys. Your camera angle is now unlocked.

You arent talking about the feature in the bottom left corner of the screen are you? The one with the lock that you can simply click on?
Because if not I cannot get your solution to work.

echoshifting said:
You're absolutely right, I only ever needed the smallest excuse to pick these up.

COTN is the only one I had played before the sale, and I hope plenty of people grab it! That's one hell of a diamond in the rough, rough, hideous graphics.

It so is =( Its hard to recommend it before CivCity (which is a great pick up and play) and before Grand Ages though.
CotN will be my next game after CivCity though. Looking forward to the addon levels I havent played yet <3

JDS 1977

Banned
Haven't played it yet but I bought it! ( CivCity that is ) Wife loved the Pharaoh/Caesar games so she'll enjoy this.

Toma said:
DM Prince! Before you suffer too much!.. There are catastrophes in Grand Ages!

phew. Almost forgot to tell him.

Fake Edit: No! I am too late! :lol

But seriously,
Hope it wasnt too bad though ;)
i sucked so bad in the end everything caught fire :lol.

dani_dc

Can CivCity: Rome be played in a window?
I never really tried any game of this kind and the games don't look that appealing to me, but for that price I might be willing to give it a go as long as I can play it in a window.

Toma

dani_dc said:
Can CivCity: Rome be played in a window?
I never really tried any game of this kind and the games don't look that appealing to me, but for that price I might be willing to give it a go as long as I can play it in a window.

Funny. Thought I was the only one. I was trying to bend the game to my will to run it in a window to get it unstretched. Eh. Better you dont buy it. You might end up liking it even not running in a window and go on to convert others and create the OT :lol
At least thats what happened to me. :D

Toma

Screenshot from the current City of my gf:
af7z88.jpg

Clean city screenshot to explain the basic structure I use:
33lfji9.jpg

Edited:
2zf6asi.jpg

The black square wannabes are living quarters of 3x3 with two wells in the middle that face outside. The red circle is a shared grannary and the blue lines show the are where I set up lots of shops, most of which could be shared by both living quarters. Afterwards I immigrated the shops down into the living quarters and created a nice park are,which in turn raised the garden value. :D

Bought Civcity, but tempted to buy Grand Ages too incase I get really into this genre. Will see when I look at how much steam credit I will have left tomorrow :).

Toma

Another hint for a problem that just happened to two people at once:

If you want to receive a ware via trade, its best to set up a warehouse/grannary right next to the trade depot for the respective ware, and restrict this ware in your other warehouses so they will carry it there.

Also.. check whether your ware really needs the one you set up :D My gf was swearing at the game because her grapes werent showing up anywhere, until I told her that they are not delivered to the warehouse that she set up but to grannaries... because they are food.

Right after that she realized that her grapes were eaten by the angry mob in her Ghetto living area, where the grapes accidentally got delivered to. :lol

Thanks for putting together this thread Toma, it's extremely helpful as city building is a fairly neglected and unknown genre.

I picked up Children of the Nile and Grand Ages (sans expansion). Haven't tried either one yet. But I can say that I adored Pharaoh, which I believe is made by the same team who put together Children of the Nile and CivCity. Zeus was also a lot of fun, but not as good as Pharaoh... but these are games I played 10+ years ago and I'm having trouble remembering specific details about why I preferred Pharaoh over Zeus.

Anyone interested a city builder, if you like it, you will get a whole lot of bang for your buck. If the crop on Steam are anything like the games I played, they are deep, involving, and addictive.

Ledsen

Is there any way to change the viewing angle in Grand Ages? The close-up views are useless because the camera goes almost level with the ground and it's impossible to build that way. I hate it when games do that and I'd like the camera to stay at the same angle until I change it (like in, say, Dawn of War II).

Top Bottom