• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CivCity: Rome/Grand Ages: Rome |OT| Rome was built in a day

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Even at $10, Tropico 3 Gold Edition is a better buy than any of these games. Its frankly the best city builder that isn't a Sim City. Accessible, deep, and everything you'd want it to be. Excellent game.

Ledsen

I'll repost this for the new page:

Is there any way to change the viewing angle in Grand Ages? The close-up views are useless because the camera goes almost level with the ground and it's impossible to build that way. I hate it when games do that and I'd like the camera to stay at the same angle until I change it (like in, say, Dawn of War II).

BobsRevenge said:
Even at $10, Tropico 3 Gold Edition is a better buy than any of these games. Its frankly the best city builder that isn't a Sim City. Accessible, deep, and everything you'd want it to be. Excellent game.

I don't know, my GF played it for a while but she vastly prefers Anno 1404 because it has way more stuff to do what with handling resources and trade routes between islands, more buildings, etc.

I'm not sure how well known this site is, but Heaven Games is my favorite spot for city builder strats, info and discussion. Unfortunately, of the games discussed here CotN is the only one with a dedicated page, but it's definitely worth a visit before you dive in.

BobsRevenge said:

That's a completely different sub-genre. They aren't comparable at all.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
BobsRevenge said:

Could be. I was playing the original Tropico and just couldnt get into it. I dont like it at all. Might give T3 another whirl though. But since the other games are cheaper, this isnt too much the discussion right now.

Question though: Did you actually play all the city builders mentioned in this thread so far?

Edit: And what echoshifting said above me.

Ledsen said:

Is there any way to change the viewing angle in Grand Ages? The close-up views are useless because the camera goes almost level with the ground and it's impossible to build that way. I hate it when games do that and I'd like the camera to stay at the same angle until I change it (like in, say, Dawn of War II).

I don't know, my GF played it for a while but she vastly prefers Anno 1404 because it has way more stuff to do.

Yeah got the same impression from the Anno/Tropico impression. I just cant get myself to like Tropico. Anno seems to have the better chances for me.

Anyway, checking your camera problem.

I really don't think DoD/Anno is that comparable either, tbh. I dunno, I haven't spent much time with CC or GA yet, but just talking about CotN along with the "traditional" city builders...Tropico is a city sim like SimCity, and DoD/Anno is a trade colony sim. "City builder" generally refers to a game set in a particular historical era, in which you must build up an economically and militarily sound city. Very different gameplay focuses and styles.

I mean I guess if you aren't a total city builder freak like me you can lump them all together but imho it isn't really fair to compare any of them. If you like one particular subgenre better than another, fine...just don't try to make a generalized, blanket comparison.

edit: Now I'm all pumped up for a classic, Zeus, Poseidon or Emperor....hmmmm

gotee12

Hold down the Alt key and move your mouse to change the view in GA: Rome. And I'm not referring to the scroll wheel but actually moving the mouse while holding Alt to adjust the viewing angle.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
gotee12 said:
Hold down the Alt key and move your mouse to change the view in GA: Rome. And I'm not referring to the scroll wheel but actually moving the mouse while holding Alt to adjust the viewing angle.

Or just PRESS the scroll wheel to change the angle :lol

Ledsen said:

I ran into a bug last night where I couldn't swing the camera up any higher than the horizon. Really annoying, I had to restart the mission to fix it.

I have a feeling that's what happened to you, because normally the camera is fine for me and acts the way you describe you want it to.

I do wish I could zoom out just a little bit more before it zooms out to the 'orbital' view, but other than that the camera works very well for me.

Toma

vocab said:
Which one of these have a true campaign along the lines of Tropico 3/DoD? I'm not much of a sandboxer.

All of them. The Sandbox mode is just a welcome addition.

echoshifting said:
I really don't think DoD/Anno is that comparable either, tbh. I dunno, I haven't spent much time with CC or GA yet, but just talking about CotN along with the "traditional" city builders...Tropico is a city sim like SimCity, and DoD/Anno is a trade colony sim. "City builder" generally refers to a game set in a particular historical era, in which you must build up an economically and militarily sound city. Very different gameplay focuses and styles.

I mean I guess if you aren't a total city builder freak like me you can lump them all together but imho it isn't really fair to compare any of them. If you like one particular subgenre better than another, fine...just don't try to make a generalized, blanket comparison.

edit: Now I'm all pumped up for a classic, Zeus, Poseidon or Emperor....hmmmm

True, thanks for defining that more clearly. And yeah.. I'd also take Zeus VERY much right now. All the talk about it, made me really want to play it.

gotee12

Toma said:
Or just PRESS the scroll wheel to change the angle :lol
Are you referring to the height of the camera or the actual angle? Cuz clicking the scroll wheel doesn't do anything for me. Scrolling said scroll wheel adjusts the camera height. But the only way to actually affect the camera angle is by holding down the Alt key.

Then again, I've had other weird things coming from my scroll wheel in other games...

BobsRevenge

Ledsen said:
I don't know, my GF played it for a while but she vastly prefers Anno 1404 because it has way more stuff to do what with handling resources and trade routes between islands, more buildings, etc.
Anno 1404 is pretty nuts. I prefer Tropico 3, but I've had a lot of fun in 1404 since I got it in the sale just recently. Tropico 3 feels a tad more polished, and is a bit more accessible. The campaign really brings out the strengths of the game. 1404's campaign is more tedious, from what I've played so far.

Grand Ages doesn't approach the polish of either game. I have to play it more, but the options feel bloated for what is accomplished in the game. The HUD feels weak relative to these other two as well.

They are all quite a bit different from each other. From what I've played, 1404 is more sprawling, Tropico 3 is more accessible(/fun), and Grand Ages is more deep.

Tropico 3 has more of a role playing element since you're el presidente. I dig being a communist dictator of a small latin american island. 1404 and Grand Ages feel stale in comparison.

Toma

gotee12 said:
Are you referring to the height of the camera or the actual angle? Cuz clicking the scroll wheel doesn't do anything for me. Scrolling said scroll wheel adjusts the camera height. But the only way to actually effect the camera angle is by holding down the Alt key.

Then again, I've had other weird things coming from my scroll wheel in other games...

Yeah I was talking about clicking the scroll wheel and moving your mouse while doing that. Changes the angle normally. Sucks if it doesnt work for you. But oh well, I cant scroll normally with my mouse, so we are in similar situations. Hope you get used to it, if its a problem with the mouse. Using keys should work then :)

Toma

BobsRevenge said:
Anno 1404 is pretty nuts. I prefer Tropico 3, but I've had a lot of fun in 1404 since I got it in the sale just recently. Tropico 3 feels a tad more polished, and is a bit more accessible. The campaign really brings out the strengths of the game. 1404's campaign is more tedious, from what I've played so far.

Grand Ages doesn't approach the polish of either game. I have to play it more, but the options feel bloated for what is accomplished in the game. The HUD feels weak relative to these other two as well.

They are all quite a bit different from each other. From what I've played, 1404 is more sprawling, Tropico 3 is more accessible(/fun), and Grand Ages is more deep.

Tropico 3 has more of a role playing element since you're el presidente. I dig being a communist dictator of a small latin american island. 1404 and Grand Ages feel stale in comparison.

It seems to me you indeed dont like the specific sub-genre mentioned here. Did you play and like any of the games that are mentioned here? Children of the Nile, CIvCity, Grand Ages, Pharaoh, Emperor, Caesar..
Because if not, I dont think you should be making any comparison at all. Especially not "Better than all games mentioned here"

BobsRevenge

Toma said:
It seems to me you indeed dont like the specific sub-genre mentioned here. Did you play and like any of the games that are mentioned here? Children of the Nile, CIvCity, Grand Ages, Pharaoh, Emperor, Caesar..
Because if not, I dont think you should be making any comparison at all. Especially not "Better than all games mentioned here"
I've been playing Grand Ages and I used to play some Caesar back in the day. Tropico 3 strikes me as a more polished and entertaining experience. I'm not HUGE into city building games, but Tropico 3 is the best I've played imo. The depth is more horizontal than... like, a web. The development experience feels better thought through, and works great with the campaign.

Looks like Actiblizzard is sitting on the rights to the classic City Builders. :(

Honestly I don't believe that series has been surpassed, even by TM's own efforts.

Somebody get on Kotick to bundle and release these...

Smash88

Banned
Thanks to motorbreath I'm part of the club... WOOOOO!

Anyways, I was wondering what type of game this? It looks like Rome: Total War, but with city building, or is there no fighting?

Toma

Smash88 said:
Thanks to motorbreath I'm part of the club... WOOOOO!

Anyways, I was wondering what type of game this? It looks like Rome: Total War, but with city building, or is there no fighting?

New to the Party and doesnt even read the OP :p
I wrote that damn thing, so go read it :lol

Hint: Its totally different. Grand Ages is the building of the city to supply the army and the corresponding fighting system. Total War has nothing of that what is actually the main focus in the games here :)

Toma

VicViper said:
I second the notion to add Tropico 3 to this amazing list of awesome games.

I know why people suggest that. But the thread so far has been very specific about this type of sub genre. These games are relatively similar in gameplay mechanics and all of them should appeal to you in some way if you like one of them.
This is not the same for SimCity/Tropico/Anno.. Its simply a different sub genre. I'd prefer to keep them out of this thread. Tropico 3 already had a thread about it anyway.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I love city building games right? But I tend to lose focus because there's so much going on, I do remember liking the old Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom game quite a bit way back when I was younger.

What do you recommend, GAF? The games look awesome and are cheap as hell so I'm interested in all of them :lol

Edit: Are the battles in Grand Ages: Rome realtime or do you just watch them play out?

Toma

Woah!
Anyone playing CivCity, check this out:
Was looking around a bit and found a dedicated fan site (which still has people asking stuff)
anyway, there are two interesting mods you should consider.

1. A mod that changes the shop symbols to be actually identifiable.

index.php

Download Link, tested by me before and then uploaded

2. And secondly and even more awesome:
A mod that rebalances the game so that technology gets more useful. Now you actually NEED to research before you can buy stuff and better technologies will get more expensive so that you wont end every game with 60.000 Denarii. But I especially like the fact that you need to use the technologies to get acces to every building structure and dont have everything from the start. The author said its not tested to 100% perfectness but should do it.
Download Link, tested by me before and afterwards uploaded

Be sure to back up the files you overwrite though!

Easy_D said:
So I love city building games right? But I tend to lose focus because there's so much going on, I do remember liking the old Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom game quite a bit way back when I was younger.

What do you recommend, GAF? The games look awesome and are cheap as hell so I'm interested in all of them :lol

Edit: Are the battles in Grand Ages: Rome realtime or do you just watch them play out?

Get CivCity to get back into the game, and checkout these newly discovered mods :D
After that, tackle Children of the Nile, and end it with Grand Ages: Rome. They are all different enough to warrant all purchases if you are interested in all of them. If you only want a more active/strategic military title, Grand Ages should be your choice.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Which one's for me if I loved master of Olympus: Zeus? I haven't found a strategy game quite like it

Nabs

played about an hour of this earlier, and liked it. i'm going to install that shop mod now. <3 pc gaming.

Easy_D said:

They are real time. You have direct control over every unit on the battlefield. Plays kinda like a Rome Total War lite. You can set the unit's facing, when you select and move multiple units they get into formation together, etc.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
wayward archer said:
They are real time. You have direct control over every unit on the battlefield. Plays kinda like a Rome Total War lite.
Well that interests me, always been interested in the Total War games. But at the same time I feel I should just get CivCity since it seems like the most accessible.

And the fact that I got the King Arthur game, which fills my Total War quota.

Edit: And like below, they say Children of the Nile is the most similar to the old Impressions Games titles and I sure liked Emperor.

Maybe I should just play that? :lol But I want something fresher.

Toma

Teetris said:
Which one's for me if I loved master of Olympus: Zeus? I haven't found a strategy game quite like it

People seem to recommend it as their favourite to me all the time and my wound gets bigger as soon anyone mentions it. For that very reason someone else should be able to make a better judgement than I can, but I'd say that Children of the Nile is the best in grabbing the classic feel of this genre.

Ranger X

Easy_D said:
Well that interests me, always been interested in the Total War games. But at the same time I feel I should just get CivCity since it seems like the most accessible.

And the fact that I got the King Arthur game, which fills my Total War quota.

Edit: And like below, they say Children of the Nile is the most similar to the old Impressions Games titles and I sure liked Emperor.

Maybe I should just play that? :lol But I want something fresher.

Get Civcity seriously, for 2 bucks I even wonder how it can be a question. The game is looking a tad old but it's really cool. I really like to see the citizens evolve -- very addicting.

oracrest

:3

Civcity was my first industry job. Lots of good memories of making Roman Architecture, and playing lots of PS2 Monster Hunter during that time. What have the general impressions been for first time players?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ranger X said:
Get Civcity seriously, for 2 bucks I even wonder how it can be a question. The game is looking a tad old but it's really cool. I really like to see the citizens evolve -- very addicting.
Yeah, screw it. I'll get CivCity. 0.99 Euros plus it's the game that made this thread, pretty much. Bought!

Toma

Ranger X said:

Erm yeah. Who am I to question the need to buy CivCity anyway. Staying true to the roots!
Seriously, buy it. Buy both of them. Not bad purchases at all.

Toma

oracrest said:
:3

Civcity was my first industry job. Lots of good memories of making Roman Architecture, and playing lots of PS2 Monster Hunter during that time. What have the general impressions been for first time players?

You want first impressions? I wrote everything down that crossed my mind :lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25150125&postcount=10901

How were you involved in the game? Came out pretty good, no matter what you did though. :) Just read back the thread, lots of great initial impressions. Hope that makes you happy ;)

Oh and CivCity inspired the whole "Comeback" of this genre on GAF and this thread btw. And I was gifting it a modest amount of times to some people :D

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Toma said:
People seem to recommend it as their favourite to me all the time and my wound gets bigger as soon anyone mentions it. For that very reason someone else should be able to make a better judgement than I can, but I'd say that Children of the Nile is the best in grabbing the classic feel of this genre.
Oh, that's good to hear. I was fearing it might have just been nostalgia. I remember when I first started it, I didn't know what kind of game it was and on the first mission when I saw Hydra I thought it was a Diablo type game trying to find a way to kill it. Of course, as soon as I read the strategy guide (which was a damn near book for god's sakes) and found out I had to make a whole civilization, build a temple, and then summon a god to defeat the Hydra I was even more amazed. Probably the most impressive PC game for me cause it was the first time I saw how a deep system could be so much fun in a game. These days most games don't even require you to invest some time and learn about the rules in the game because developers are so afraid of making them up (sans some current strategy games of course) thinking it won't sell.

Maybe to make things easier, what impressed me was that it looked like this open ended game where you could do what you want in sandbox mode but in the process you could do linear story based things. Does CoN have that? I do remember playing an Egyptian strategy game too around that time but it was a bit easy for my tastes (not sure it this was Nile tho)

Toma

Teetris said:
Oh, that's good to hear. I was fearing it might have just been nostalgia. I remember when I first started it, I didn't know what kind of game it was and on the first mission when I saw Hydra I thought it was a Diablo type game trying to find a way to kill it. Of course, as soon as I read the strategy guide (which was a damn near book for god's sakes) and found out I had to make a whole civilization, build a temple, and then summon a god to defeat the Hydra I was even more amazed. Probably the most impressive PC game for me cause it was the first time I saw how a deep system could be so much fun in a game. These days most games don't even require you to invest some time and learn about the rules in the game because developers are so afraid of making them up (sans some current strategy games of course) thinking it won't sell.

Maybe to make things easier, what impressed me was that it looked like this open ended game where you could do what you want in sandbox mode but in the process you could do linear story based things. Does CoN have that? I do remember playing an Egyptian strategy game too around that time but it was a bit easy for my tastes (not sure it this was Nile tho)

This sounds so... awesome.. Let me cry in my corner before I am able to comment any of your remarks..

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Heh, I'm not sure if Children of Nile's the same type of game tho :p (edit, I guess it is as it was made by the company made of former Zeus people)

Anyway, I googled and found the Egyptian game I was playing was Pharaoh, made by the same people as Zeus no less!

Toma

Ranger X said:
fuck you Teetris don't make me buy Children of the Nile now :lol :lol

He wasnt describing Children of the Nile though. He was talking about Zeus, which is... NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE.

Can't get Grand Ages of Rome to run :(

Windows 7 64bit

Apparently the issue is not fixable, and it effects certain computers, so looks like I flushed that money down the toilet.

http://forum.kalypsomedia.de/showthread.php?tid=4128

And this sucks... mightily. Any other reports on this from other Gaffers? People here who have 7-64 and it works? Will put a disclaimer in the OP though.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Toma said:
He wasnt describing Children of the Nile though. He was talking about Zeus, which is... NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE.

And this sucks... mightily. Any other reports on this from other Gaffers? People here who have 7-64 and it works? Will put a disclaimer in the OP though.

Somehow I missed that Grand Age of Rome even existed, by the Tropico 3 devs even, and being a fan of the genre I was excited to play it too :(

Toma

Teetris said:
Heh, I'm not sure if Children of Nile's the same type of game tho :p

Anyway, I goggled and found the Egyptian game I was playing was Pharaoh, made by the same people as Zeus no less!

Its not the same. Its similar in saying it belongs to the same sub-genre as Civcity,Zeus etc. But no game I know of had these awesome quests as Zeus. Seems to be pretty unique in that regard.
Still, the one game I feel comes closest to how the classic game played overall was Children of the Nile, though.

Suikoguy said:
Somehow I missed that Grand Age of Rome even existed, by the Tropico 3 devs even, and being a fan of the genre I was excited to play it too :(

Sorry dude for making you fall into this =( You might be lucky with the next Windows OS or something =/

Toma

Ranger X said:
Oh I thought he was talking about Nile :/
Exactly. And thats why I am sitting here in my corner crying. Because everyone keeps telling me stories like this and I cant fucking buy it. Its freaking me out.

Ranger X

Hmm, LOOKS LIKE GRAND AGES DOESN'T WORK FOR ME EITHER.

I'm on a windows Vista 64bit Home with DX11.

Basically, people on DX 11 are fucked.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Toma said:
Its not the same. Its similar in saying it belongs to the same sub-genre as Civcity,Zeus etc. But no game I know of had these awesome quests as Zeus. Seems to be pretty unique in that regard.
Still, the one game I feel comes closest to how the classic game played overall was Children of the Nile, though.
Ah okay, I'll still check it out, but with lowered expectations :)

I still got my Zeus CD lying around somewhere along with the huge instruction manual, gonna try to find it!

Toma

Ranger X said:
Hmm, LOOKS LIKE GRAND AGES DOESN'T WORK FOR ME EITHER.

I'm on a windows Vista 64bit Home with DX11.

Basically, people on DX 11 are fucked.

Just great. Sorry for my ignorance: Is DirectX downgradeable? Would it be servicable to downgrade it for a game? (And upgrade it later?)

Toma

Teetris said:
Ah okay, I'll still check it out, but with lowered expectations :)

I still got my Zeus CD lying around somewhere along with the huge instruction manual, gonna try to find it!

Yeah please. Hurt me more. Post Pics that will break my heart =(

(I'd take a photo of the manual though, probably wont be able to see it in RL anyway)

Ranger X

Toma said:
Just great. Sorry for my ignorance. Is DirectX downgradeable? Would it be servicable to downgrade it for a game? (And upgrade it later?)

Can I do that? It's rare I game on PC so seriously, I dunno much about Direct X

Top Bottom