• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization 6 announced, out October 21st

Galava

Funnily enough, the last two entries also didn't become great until their second expansion came out (Beyond The Sword made Civ 4 legendary, and Brave New World is so different from vanilla Civ 5 it's almost a completely different experience).

Funny how Beyond Earth gets skipped. It wasn't a good game...

Joco

Yeah I'm liking those graphics a lot more than the art deco style of Civ V.

Not too surprised at the release timing. Civ V launched all the way back in 2010.

Tu101uk

Err...isn't that exactly what I posted?
You mentioned all expansions, I was merely arguing that the second expansion of each were the ones that pushed them to greatness (Warlords in Civ 4 was kinda underwhelming, and iirc Gods and Kings only introduced espionage? in fact wasn't it completely skippable?)

EDIT...
Funny how Beyond Earth gets skipped. It wasn't a good game...
Wasn't it more of a spinoff though? Like Colonization (both old and new versions), Alpha Centauri and even Call to Power? I lump it with that lot rather than a mainline entry.

DEO3

I have put far more hours into the the Civilization series than any other that I can think of, so the announcement of a new one is a pretty fucking big deal for me. I can't even process this at the moment.

Maledict

You mentioned all expansions, I was merely arguing that the second expansion of each were the ones that pushed them to greatness (Warlords in Civ 4 was kinda underwhelming, and iirc Gods and Kings only introduced espionage? in fact wasn't it completely skippable?)

Gods and kings introduced religions which were huge. They got added into the base game with the release of Brave New World though.

It's not bad at the beginning of a game but it really chugs in the late game with a lot of units in play. And if you've got a lot of city states, fuggit about it.
Oh this does happen to me too.

I always run a medium amount of city-states/enemy nations rather than large/huge maps like I want to. Sacrifices I make I guess.

God's and Kings introduced/overhauled the Religion system as well. Iirc you get the new mechanical updates if you buy BNW alone but don't get the Civs gods and kings brought

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

The later expansions turned out the way they did because of the earlier ones...if they didn't exist, the later ones could easily have turned out to be something different and may not have been as good as some of the stuff in them could have gone into a later one instead.

Also, Gods and Kings re-introduced religion.

October will be SO busy:

-final milestone of my current game-dev project
-my 2nd kid will be born
-Battlefield 1
-AND NOW CIVI?

How will I ever sleep?

Tvq3zUq.png

Tu101uk

The later expansions turned out the way they did because of the earlier ones...if they didn't exist, the later ones could easily have turned out to be something different and may not have been as good as some of the stuff in them could have gone into a later one instead.

Also, Gods and Kings re-introduced religion.
Fair point, and yeah I keep forgetting religion wasn't in vanilla... :V

Alright, I thought the complaints about the graphics/artstyle were overblown. And then I checked screenshots from playing Civ4.

What the hell.

Not sure how I feel about the new artstyle, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I really, really hope they have a UI that's easier to read for couch gaming though. The Steam Controller is great for Civ V, but my gaming PC is connected to my TV. I had to mod the font in Civ V to make it bigger, and it ends up spilling out of the text boxes.

Love that it's still hex and love that they are still doing 1UPT essentially.

I've got a bit over a year to upgrade my PC now, I don't buy Civ games until at least the first expansion is out. I use Civ as the metric for my PC.

Luq

Beyond Earth bites the dust then... too bad, I really loved the sci-fi setting and hoped they will somehow "fix" and expand this game.

Gjerven

Not feeling the art direction they have taken.

It's not bad at the beginning of a game but it really chugs in the late game with a lot of units in play. And if you've got a lot of city states, fuggit about it.

Oh this does happen to me too.

I always run a medium amount of city-states/enemy nations rather than large/huge maps like I want to. Sacrifices I make I guess.

Can't you just turn off movement and battle animations? The animations is what took a long time for me, turning them off made each turn go rather fast.

Itachi87

The art style reminds me of Civ Revolution. I always get so excited when a new Civ game comes out. I still remember getting burn with Civ5 at launch; though the game is legitimately great now w/ patches and expansions.

I'm optimistic on the new aesthetic. What I'm not so optimistic on is Multiplayer. I gifted Civ V CE to FIVE friends and we ended up dropping it quickly because of desync and latency issues making the game unbearable to play. Fix that shit, Firaxis.

Edit: I also hope that the simplified aesthetic means that the average map size is increased to compensate for the sprawl.

Anno

Man what a year it could be for strategy games. Stellaris already off to a hot start, Total Warhammer looking good, HoI4 around the corner, now a new mainline Civ game that looks nice. Endless Space 2 sometime later this year I think? And the MoO reboot looking decent in EA. Good lord.

Zafir

Nice, hopefully it turns out better than Beyond Earth. Wasn't too bad but was a disappointment in comparison to V.

The Steam price can fuck right off though. £50 for the normal edition. Outrageous!

Top Bottom