• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization 6 announced, out October 21st

U2NUMB

I have Civ 5 installed... hardly touched it because for some reason I am intimidated. Any reason for me to be worried? I like to enjoy games and not struggle .. Always wanted to get into it but never had the nerve.

deli2000

Very intrigued by the gameplay changes, especially stacked units and environmental research boosts which people have been wanting for ages. Not a huge fan of the visual style though, i hope they at least tone down on the cartoon factor a little bit although I'll wait before making any rash judgments.

I have Civ 5 installed... hardly touched it because for some reason I am intimidated. Any reason for me to be worried? I like to enjoy games and not struggle .. Always wanted to get into it but never had the nerve.

Don't worry, it's not an intimidating game at all, the systems just take some time to get used to. There's a nice tutorial in the game to ease you into things. It's definitely an 'easy to learn, hard to master' type of situation.

Nzyme32

Screenshots:

CiLy1ubWkAA4GN3.jpg:large

CiLy2MeWkAAALcD.jpg:large

CiLy4UAXIAAsFJB.jpg:large

Hmm not sure if like

Completely depends on how this scales to the world. I can see this style working brilliantly if the scale of the world is much bigger than in Civ V. Regardless, I still like the style. Obviously as posted previously, I would be totally down for the realistic look too.

Lister

Banned
Game is fucking expensive on Steam. Good thing that steam keys should be available for reasonable prices from the usual websites.

You don't think $60 is reasonable for a game that is likely to last you hundreds of hours? Waiting for Uncharted to hit $.50 cents? ;)

lazygecko

That trailer puts Ghandi in an unusually positive light considering how much of a ruthless warmonger he is in the franchise.

Set it on the easiest difficulty, with just a couple different Civs and experiment. No need to be intimidated, other than at the amount of time you will lose.

Lister

Banned
Not on board. I don't have a PC anymore. That's too bad after playing civs for all those years.
But if a console port happens...

It won't. You're missing out man. A $400 PC now adays would get you access to all the amazing stuff happening in strategy on PC. This + Stellaris + Dawn of War III would probably have you in strategy Nirvana for years and would eb totally worht the investment.

As much as I love Civ, it's hard to get excited when I know the game won't reach its final form for a few years when I can pick up the complete edition. That's not a knock against the game, but just a testament to how much they add with expansions.
Agreed! Maybe me and the lady friend will top 600 hours in V before two years from now when the last installment lands.

V's pain-free incorporation of mods ameliorated a totally oooohkaaaay experience before Brave New World shipped... G&K was merely alright...

Nzyme32

Civ V is actually surprisingly simple to get into. I remember feeling the same when starting it. It will take a game or two to properly click with the majority of mechanics, but it is amazingly addictive once you get going.

dude

dude

Play a lower difficulty, they are VERY easy.

TheJoRu

If this turns out to be low-spec friendly I will be a happy person. Civ 5 didn't run so hot on my old PC (which is now even older). Colours are nice.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So ready. Better City planning is something I've wanted for a while. Broaden the map more. I would love for a return of the Palace building or something of the like, which I guess the city planning will be like.

Also as pretty as it is they really need to make it so long term play is viable. Even with a hexa core processor and all around high end rig things get pretty slow with lots of players and after a hundred or so turns.

roytheone

I only recently got into Civ V, and while it was a bit overwhelming at first (I got the complete edition so it had all the extra mechanics from both add-ons), I quickly became hooked to it! So I am really looking forward to this! I am not really a fan of those screenshots, but those seem to be zoomed in and at an angle, and lets face it, that's not how most people play Civ :) Hopefully it will look better more zoomed out.

megalowho

Yep, that's a Civ trailer alright

Wary about the stylistic direction looking more like Civ Rev/Clash of Clans, not my favorite. Lacks the gravitas and historical grandeur the series evokes so well.

New systems sound promising, especially the focus on diplomacy.

I think 2016 might go down in history as a golden age of Strategy titles!!
Was thinking the same, someone opened the strategy floodgates and it's been amazing.

Powwa

Oh damn, I was waiting for this. So hyped right now, hopefully my laptop will be able to handle it fine (from the looks there isn't a big visual improvement over the last one).

Alej

Banned
It won't. You're missing out man. A $400 PC now adays would get you access to all the amazing stuff happening in strategy on PC. This + Stellaris + Dawn of War III would probably have you in strategy Nirvana for years and would eb totally worht the investment.

I don't have any place for a PC in my apartment and the recent child is taking too much time/money for me to invest as well.

In two years maybe. Or please donate, lol.

Krisprolls

Banned
Civs are my favorite games but I have mixed feelings here :(

- Cartoony art style looks more like Civilization Revolution, I would have preferred something more realistic.

- No new exciting feature. Tell me why it will be better than Civ 5, I see nothing here.

- It feels like they dumb down the game... : /

Maybe I'm too negative, let's wait for the new features. I hope they didn't remove too many things and unlike Civ 5 AI can actually play the game well (one unit per tile is a AI killer)

Arex

So Civ 5 is on sale on steam.

Do I need to get the complete edition + the cradle of civ dlc or just the normal edition?

Thinking of finally jumping in :p

_woLf

HYYYYYPE!

I was just thinking the other day that it should be about time now for a new main Civilization game. I can't wait!

Woah, that art direction... Not at all what I was hoping for from a PC-only game. I honestly won't be surprised if this is targeting tablets as well. Civ V looks more visually impressive. Thoroughly confused.

Lister

Banned
I don't have any place for a PC in my apartment and the recent child is taking too much time/money for me to invest as well.

In two years maybe. Or please donate, lol.

If you have room for consoles you have room for a PC:

alienware-alpha-product-photos-13.jpg

It's not 2005 anymore ;)

Budget is another kettle of fish though. Congrats on the baby. My 2 year old is in Germany right now visiting family for a month... I've never cried at an aiport before but I cried like a baby when I said goodbye, enjoy every second, they change so fast!

KLoWn

Haha oh wow... What the hell did they do with the art style? That looks absolutely awful compared to the usual style. It looks like a mobile game.

Alej

Banned
If you have room for consoles you have room for a PC:

alienware-alpha-product-photos-13.jpg

It's not 2005 anymore ;)

Budget is another kettle of fish though. Congrats on the baby. My 2 year old is in Germany right now visiting family for a month... I've never cried at an aiport before but I cried like a baby when I said goodbye, enjoy every second, they change so fast!

Hey thanks. I'm living the same feelings you have. He's only one year old but this is madness already.

So... No I really don't have the space for any desk or something, even another box going with my TV, and... You know I just prefer to play on my PS4, I've already been banned for saying that haha, look at my post history.

But then, CIV is always something to me, I have more than 2000 hours of Civ5 (worldbuilder+game), it is the game I've played the most in my life (and Civ4 3 2 1 should be in the top10 as well). So, in a year or two, maybe. But I would love to see Firaxis doing a decent port of their game on consoles (you know, the Civ2 way). But I'll stop talking about that here, I fear the hammer.

fixedpoint

It looks .. cheery. Hopefully mods can take care of the unit scaling. Pre-order placed!
October will be SO busy:

-final milestone of my current game-dev project
-my 2nd kid will be born
-Battlefield 1
-AND NOW CIVI?

How will I ever sleep?

Tvq3zUq.png
I should probably uninstall as well : ) Congrats on the new baby!

YDtTXhl.png

Aaron D.

So Civ 5 is on sale on steam.

Do I need to get the complete edition + the cradle of civ dlc or just the normal edition?

Thinking of finally jumping in :p

All you need is Civ V: Complete ($12). The Brave New World (and to a lesser extent, Gods & Kings) expansions dramatically changed the base game and pushed it over the top, making it the best Civ to date. The base game is night and day with and without the major expansions.

Firebrand

Uh, didn't expect it to look like that. I remember when Civ4 and 5 screenshots first came out they looked amazing, this one looks... worse than 5 in a way?

Anyway, I'm not too hopeful they have actually rethought Civ and the formula with this, but I'll probably buy it day 1 anyway. Cause Civ.

Erevador

Wow. That art style is... very IOS. Actually saddened to see Civilization embracing that look. A less mature direction for a very cerebral series.

Alej

Banned
Uh, didn't expect it to look like that. I remember when Civ4 and 5 screenshots first came out they looked amazing, this one looks... worse than 5 in a way?

Anyway, I'm not too hopeful they have actually rethought Civ and the formula with this, but I'll probably buy it day 1 anyway. Cause Civ.

It doesn't look great for sure, and the art style isn't what I want CIV to be, but then, let's see how it looks in motion, fully animated.

I go to sleep, wake up, and now there's THIS?!?

And I missed out on knowing about it for hours?!?

Clearly, the solution is to never sleep again. Fortunately, come October 21st, that'll be pretty easy.

Quick thoughts:

-Actually dig the art style. The "more expansive cities" thing has me thinking the maps will be significantly larger, so the simplified cartoony style gives it some additional bandwidth to play with, while still looking pretty solid. It's far from realistic, but with Firaxis moving towards more game-y games in general, that's probably not seen as a downside where they're sitting. Besides, I've never played Clash of Clans, so it hasn't ruined the look for me yet :p

-Speaking of more expansive cities, MORE EXPANSIVE CITIES! YES! Been wanting something like that for a while. Cities as huge, sprawling edifices... mmmmmmm

-Unit changes sound great. Taking a nod from Civ Rev, but with much more depth, from the sound of it. Being able to merge a Settler and a Warrior is a godsend.

-And oh my god, feature continuity with 5? TAKE MAH MONEY

Arex

ALL OF IT

Haha that's the correct answer isn't it :p
Anyway I just checked and the cradle dlc thing is included in the complete edition it seems. So I'm probably getting that!

All you need is Civ V: Complete ($12). The Brave New World (and to a lesser extent, Gods & Kings) expansions dramatically changed the base game and pushed it over the top, making it the best Civ to date. The base game is night and day with and without the major expansions.

Good to hear! :D

Vex_

Banned
FUCK YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Fuck BE, that game was trash. I wanted a TRUE sequel and they mustve went "Oh VEX must want a TRUE sequel, so let us do this!"

BOOM!

dude

dude
I'm a little surprised so many people here mind the graphics. It seem great to me if only because you can CLEARLY make out the tile type, the units etc. Making them more realistic or detailed can make the game much less readable I think a clean, colorful look is an improvement in terms of gameplay.
Sure, it gives off a sort of mobile-ish feel, but that's because mobile games emphasis readability and ease of use, which are things I want a Civ game to emphasis over beautiful scenery.

Top Bottom