• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

Those are the best. Won't matter if you won, you had an interesting couple of hours (days).
Yeah, it's the first game that wasn't an easy win or a crushing loss so it has been exciting in that regard.

I was trying to go for a cultural win, limiting myself to four cities, but between fending off Japan and Russia, I wasted too many turns on military production and rushing tech and after a diplomatic faux pas I had to commit to an aggressive campaign against Songhai. Luckily I took his capital within a few turns of declaring on Ghandi. Catherine is massing at my borders and I need to redistribute my forces from the previous conflict.

Tonight will probably be the last of this game. I think Ghandi is quite likely to finish the project before I even launch a shell at his capital.

Hey gaf, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the new Culture system. I understand generating Tourism which sounds fantastic, as does the sort of Ideological War. But I don't understand the significance of Social Policies and Cities in BNW.

In Vanilla Civ V, Social Policies were obviously king in cultural victories. This meant you needed to keep your number of cities very low because more cities means higher cultural costs.

I'm wondering how this dynamic looks in BNW since the emphasis on Policies for victory has now shifted:

1. Are you still encouraged to build small empires? How many cities is too much?
2. Is there still a big penalty in Social Policy cost for more cities?
3. Where on earth does religion fit into this new culture game?

I just can't really get the balance of culture and tourism straight in my head. Thanks in advance for the help!

Jintor

Got Isabella, found Kilamanjaro within moments, thought "aww yeah".

For the next 100 turns didn't run into anyone at all. Only trading partner a lone city-state on my borders. Completely isolated by the map. I was bleeding gold for years.

spiritfox

Hey gaf, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the new Culture system. I understand generating Tourism which sounds fantastic, as does the sort of Ideological War. But I don't understand the significance of Social Policies and Cities in BNW.

In Vanilla Civ V, Social Policies were obviously king in cultural victories. This meant you needed to keep your number of cities very low because more cities means higher cultural costs.

I'm wondering how this dynamic looks in BNW since the emphasis on Policies for victory has now shifted:

1. Are you still encouraged to build small empires? How many cities is too much?
2. Is there still a big penalty in Social Policy cost for more cities?
3. Where on earth does religion fit into this new culture game?

I just can't really get the balance of culture and tourism straight in my head. Thanks in advance for the help!

1. No. In fact, wide empires have a slight advantage because they can build more Great Work slots to generate more Tourism. Of course, you still need the Great Works to put them in.

2. Yes, but not as big. However, the number of Social Policies you have do not affect the Cultural Victory anymore.

3. There are some religious beliefs that affect Tourism, and you get a bonus to Tourism against Civs with the same religion.

Right down to the fucking wire.

tNRfOVS.jpg

pilonv1

I use some custom map scripts because fractal is so bad. There's a tectonic script that's not so bad and can force founding settlers to the coasts and Communitas which provide some rationality to the randomness.

Thankyou so much for the Communitas recommendation. Playing a Diety game with now and it's given me the most random and interesting map I've had in a Civ game in years.

1. No. In fact, wide empires have a slight advantage because they can build more Great Work slots to generate more Tourism. Of course, you still need the Great Works to put them in.

2. Yes, but not as big. However, the number of Social Policies you have do not affect the Cultural Victory anymore.

3. There are some religious beliefs that affect Tourism, and you get a bonus to Tourism against Civs with the same religion.

Interesting. I jumped into a new game to try out the Culture route and, even keeping these in mind, I'm still having a rough go. I think I underestimated the amount of Science I'd need to push for the wonders as I'm being completely out researched (and consequently out built). I also foolishly didn't realize the 20 tile boundary for trade routes, so I can only trade with one city. Gah. It's gonna take some testing.

On the plus side, I got a Wii Remote successfully functioning as a mouse so I can play Civ in full on comfy couch mode now!

Gaz_RB

Interesting. I jumped into a new game to try out the Culture route and, even keeping these in mind, I'm still having a rough go. I think I underestimated the amount of Science I'd need to push for the wonders as I'm being completely out researched (and consequently out built). I also foolishly didn't realize the 20 tile boundary for trade routes, so I can only trade with one city. Gah. It's gonna take some testing.

On the plus side, I got a Wii Remote successfully functioning as a mouse so I can play Civ in full on comfy couch mode now!

Whoa how'd you do that? I've got my pc all set up for dolphin, so I assume I have everything I need for that.

Couch Civ would be the shit.

Jintor

Holy shit. Wii Remote Civ.

Fuck! Now I'm thinking about Kinect Civ! Oh shit! Minority Report Civ!

Brain... melting...

Gaz_RB said:
Whoa how'd you do that? I've got my pc all set up for dolphin, so I assume I have everything I need for that.

Couch Civ would be the shit.

If you've got your pc set for Dolphin it works pretty similar. I pair my Wiimote through a Bluetooth USB dongle. Once it's picked up you just gotta run a program called GlovePIE - It runs a script that maps mouse movement to the movement of the Wii remote and also maps keyboard buttons to the Wiimote + Nunchuck. Then all that's left is to connect a wireless sensor bar and presto!

I've got the joystick on the nunchuck set to the arrow keys, so you can pan the camera separately from your cursor. I also went ahead and mapped "previous/next unit" to the + and - buttons while "end turn" rests comfortably on the shoulder of the nunchuck. Scroll wheel is mapped to the DPad, so you can easily zoom in and out. I think the Home button is mapped to "Esc" right now, which leaves the Z button, the 1 button and the 2 button left for whatever hotkeys you can't live without. It's a beautiful thing!

Gaz_RB

If you've got your pc set for Dolphin it works pretty similar. I pair my Wiimote through a Bluetooth USB dongle. Once it's picked up you just gotta run a program called GlovePIE - It runs a script that maps mouse movement to the movement of the Wii remote and also maps keyboard buttons to the Wiimote + Nunchuck. Then all that's left is to connect a wireless sensor bar and presto!

I've got the joystick on the nunchuck set to the arrow keys, so you can pan the camera separately from your cursor. I also went ahead and mapped "previous/next unit" to the + and - buttons while "end turn" rests comfortably on the shoulder of the nunchuck. Scroll wheel is mapped to the DPad, so you can easily zoom in and out. I think the Home button is mapped to "Esc" right now, which leaves the Z button, the 1 button and the 2 button left for whatever hotkeys you can't live without. It's a beautiful thing!

Thanks a lot for replying, I'll give this a shot. I assume the wired sensor bar I use for my Wii and for Dolphin will work fine?

Thanks a lot man. Gonna use this for Civ and for other things as I usually just leave my laptop HDMIed to my tv.

Thanks a lot for replying, I'll give this a shot. I assume the wired sensor bar I use for my Wii and for Dolphin will work fine?

Thanks a lot man. Gonna use this for Civ and for other things as I usually just leave my laptop HDMIed to my tv.

No problem! I think it should work well since the sensor bar is just for IR. I even saw a few guides that said you could just use candles!

Good luck getting it working - if you need the script let me know. Depending on the version of GlovePIE you download you might have some preset script files or you might not; I pieced my script together by copying lines from a few different sources. I also don't know if you need GlovePIE specifically, but it came recommended from multiple tutorials and was free, so I went with it.

fresquito

I'm getting into Civ V (next game I will play King for the first time). I have Gold Edition (G&K with DLC). Is it BNW worth it or waiting for a better sale is the best option since I'm still getting into the game?

Myomoto

Cultural victory as Autocracy is probably one of my favourite victory types. Screw creating culture and tourism of my own, I'll just steal it from the leading cultural civ in the game!

Played by first BNW game this weekend. Somehow I 'randomed" Venice which seemed pretty cool until I saw I had also randomed against Greece. And then the usual suspects of uselessness were present (India, Ethiopia, Askia), but thankfully they provided a nice meat shield buffer of civs.

Alexander, of course, was being his warmongering self, and once he had some expanded and conquered territory behind him, solidified his hold on the Cs'. Luckily, I was first host of the World Congress, so I proposed embargoing him to much kudos. Greece proposed banning Gold. Banning Gold passed, and the vocal majority that supported embargoing Greece (pretty much everyone) failed to actually vote for it. Second time was the charm, but Alexander got a free pass on accruing some major gold.

After that Alex was host and I took intense pleasure on sending Merchants of Venice to purchase city-states, dwindling his power supply. After another two or three Congress' he finally wised up and proposed embargoing me, which I securely bought votes against (even though the world supported me pretty unequivocally).

In the mean time I've been working the tourism route which has been great. Once Ideologies came into play, I backed the first non-Greecian one imposing further unhappiness on his empire. Eventually it flipped on him and recently other civs have started prying away City-States from him as his cash has dwindled to nothing from the still active embargo.

I've locked up all states but Greece culturally (Haven't trusted him to have open borders since the early game). Some advice to AI. Constantly flipping between Hostile and Friendly doesn't fill me with trust. Alexander sudden'y was all "How about an embassy?" "How about Open Borders?" at some point. I turned down the latter and a few turns later saw a small Greek Navy had amassed outside the water of my capital. Subtle.

Edit: Oh yeah, only one game, but I think I see what was said about BNW AI being much more passive. A few states bordering Greece have declared war on and off but even though the world, as a whole, hates him, there hasn't been an organized full-fedged declaration on him (not that it'd be successful, because LOL, AI)

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Is there any set of settings or mods that make this thing a little more stable when you're playing with more than 12 civs?

Cultural victory as Autocracy is probably one of my favourite victory types. Screw creating culture and tourism of my own, I'll just steal it from the leading cultural civ in the game!

Maybe I should do it like that next time. I'm getting really frustrated with cultural victory. My current one as Sweden is getting derailed because I'm encountering a glitch with Broadcast Towers: if you capture a city that has the CN Tower, it seems to reset all of your other cities' Broadcast Towers. On capture, I lost them all, then after I rebuilt them, I lost them all again when I razed the city with CN Tower.

Kinda stupid.

SaskBoy

Awesome. How exactly does this work? I want to get a tourism victory but love playing a warmonger style.

Myomoto

Awesome. How exactly does this work? I want to get a tourism victory but love playing a warmonger style.

The general idea is to focus on military early and then sort of 'farm' your nearest neighbours by razing their early expansions and leaving them with a capital and no real army. Then when they've produced a small handful of great works you capture their capital and start focusing on your own culture as well, while maintaining a big army to harass the cultural civs and limit their cultural growth (possibly capturing other great works in the process). When you eventually get the level 3 tenet 'Cult of Personality' you just need to start bribing people into entering wars with each other, since for each common enemy you have with a civ, you get a 50% increase in tourism with that civ. If there are any civs that pose a big problem for you to become influential with, you simply wipe them out outright.

Overall this seems faster than a straight domination victory if you are playing on a larger map or if it's difficult to attack certain civs' capitals, and the diplomatic penalties seems to be smaller in the long term (that's why you can get away with going full on warmonger in the early game, as long as nobody is alive to witness what happened you won't take as big, if any, diplomatic hit).

Firebrand

I just now found out that Oxford University is a national wonder and not a world one. Dang, all this time.

Also, BNW (online code) is still $12 on newegg.com.

Finished my first BNW game, won a cultural victory with Venice and the achievments actually worked. Aww, yeah.

Second game, randomed Napoleon and I was excited to do some military dominating until I met Alexander, Catherine, Elizabeth, The Inca... It's going to be a long game.

Recently got BNW from Amazon on the cheap($15). Won on King with Attila by space race in 2024. Clobbered Washington with the help of a battering ram upgrade early on then made a few more cities and held off Casimir(Poland) who tried to attack me many times. Bismarck who had half my score almost beat me to space though. Space race seems to be the easiest victory setting, even easier than time.

Recently got BNW from Amazon on the cheap($15). Won on King with Attila by space race in 2024. Clobbered Washington with the help of a battering ram upgrade early on then made a few more cities and held off Casimir(Poland) who tried to attack me many times. Bismarck who had half my score almost beat me to space though. Space race seems to be the easiest victory setting, even easier than time.

Yep, I disabled it after I kept winning with it in all my games. Boring as hell.

Jintor

I think the main issue with Space Race is that it's very difficult to disrupt short of war and the AI doesn't seem to bother doing it, especially if you just camp spaceship parts outside of your capital until the last turn.

Sibylus

Banned
Space Race would be fine if it was a proportional victory type like Culture, War, and Diplomacy. The actual mechanics of moving around spaceship parts is all fine and dandy, but I hate that it starts a countdown on games that can't readily be averted.

barugon

I'm fairly new to Civ V, but I've already got a couple hundred hours under my belt. The friend that introduced me to the game has been a long-time fan of the series and has logged some serious hours in Civ V. In our most recent team game, we both saw something completely new; When at war with another civilization, an allied city state actually conquered a city. In our experiences, it's pretty uncommon for a city state to even leave it's territory and attack. Has anyone else seen this? Are there circumstances that can encourage this? It's not a big deal, but it was certainly a neat development for the two of us.

roddur

I'm fairly new to Civ V, but I've already got a couple hundred hours under my belt. The friend that introduced me to the game has been a long-time fan of the series and has logged some serious hours in Civ V. In our most recent team game, we both saw something completely new; When at war with another civilization, an allied city state actually conquered a city. In our experiences, it's pretty uncommon for a city state to even leave it's territory and attack. Has anyone else seen this? Are there circumstances that can encourage this? It's not a big deal, but it was certainly a neat development for the two of us.

how do you get so much science? the highest i got was 1300+.

edit : i guess it depends on the no. of cities you've

damn that's a lot of gold with only 9 trade routes

Interesting. I have actually seen this once before - in one of my games about a month ago an island CS took one of Austria's coastal cities. In that case, though, the cities were only 4 tiles apart, and Austria's city was a weak new settlement that just happened to fall right on the channel separating the island CS from the coast.

From what I've seen, city states are more aggressive with their naval units, and will occasionally ship them a fairly long distance in order to harry your coastal cities. I've had them travel across 1/3 of a huge map to blockade my cities and pillage my coastal resources a few times. I've never seen 'em do the same with land units, though; they never seem to move those more than 2 tiles away from their territory, let alone go on offense with them.

Geido

I've seen it happen before as well, in vanilla it was a lot more common. Especially military cs's are prone to do it.

And yeah, with that many cities the gold and science is not strange. Lots of trading post puppets are still the best way to produce gold.

But it being BNW, I'm curious how long it takes him to research a tech.

SaskBoy

Seen it a couple of times when I've gifted a whole bunch of units to a CS.

barugon

*looks at mini-map* wowzers is that a stock map or a mod?

It's the Play The World Extended mod for BNW on Steam. It's my favorite world map so far.

MMBosstones86 said:
damn that's a lot of gold with only 9 trade routes

The tithe bonus brings in tons of gold in large maps; it's easily one of by biggest gold sources. I usually push religion quickly to get the upgrades and grand temple as fast as I can.

Geido said:
I've seen it happen before as well, in vanilla it was a lot more common. Especially military cs's are prone to do it.

And yeah, with that many cities the gold and science is not strange. Lots of trading post puppets are still the best way to produce gold.

But it being BNW, I'm curious how long it takes him to research a tech.

SaskBoy said:
Seen it a couple of times when I've gifted a whole bunch of units to a CS.

Those explanations make sense. After it happened immediately assumed it was a militaristic city state but was surprised when I saw they were mercantile.

I'd say most techs go quickly that late in the game (2-4 turns when teamed with my buddy), but it should be noted that I play on Prince difficulty with a gamepace of Quick, so I'm sure that's a substantial difference. I tend to play a slow early game and build up for a crazy endgame, so I like large maps and more distance between other civs. The poor and unpredictable AI made for too many frustrations when I was trying to learn

Sibylus

Banned
I've actually seen a city state ship units south and capture a city state I was about to liberate from another player civ... I was amused, to say the least.

Cromat

I once had four city states allies on my continent which I shared with a very weak Hiwatha (I took most of his empire early in the game). He then declared war against me with Korea. I only had a few defensive units on my continent and didn't really attack him, but my city state allies who were much more advanced than him razed all of his cities one by one and annihilated him. It was pretty impressive, I definitely got my money's worth.

Jintor

okay i've got like 150 hours logged or something

what's the goddamn button to make all the icons pop on the map? when you get to industrial era figuring out where the coal and oil and stuff is is a real pain in the ass

spiritfox

okay i've got like 150 hours logged or something

what's the goddamn button to make all the icons pop on the map? when you get to industrial era figuring out where the coal and oil and stuff is is a real pain in the ass

Ctrl-R, or click the icons next to the minimap.

mishakoz

So is there a way to queue actions, you know when you have a unit and you set him to move and in gray it will tell you that it can get to that point in 6 or so turns, is there a way to make that happen automatically? It does it sometimes with the yellow 2 turn move, but i want to move a boat all the way across the ocean without having to come back to it every turn, is there a way to queue that up?

Ventrue

So is there a way to queue actions, you know when you have a unit and you set him to move and in gray it will tell you that it can get to that point in 6 or so turns, is there a way to make that happen automatically? It does it sometimes with the yellow 2 turn move, but i want to move a boat all the way across the ocean without having to come back to it every turn, is there a way to queue that up?

Just release your mouse click over that tile (when it's showing you how long it will take). They'll auto move at the end of each turn, unless an enemy is next to them or something blocks their way.

mishakoz

Just release your mouse click over that tile (when it's showing you how long it will take). They'll auto move at the end of each turn, unless an enemy is next to them or something blocks their way.

I get that that would be how it seemingly works, but it never seems to. It will go up to the yellow action and then reprompt me to move it again. Maybe im crazy, its possible, but i can never get it to queue probably. i guess ill load up the game again and try.

Top Bottom