• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

fresquito

I have nothing new to say, but I just wanted to share my first take on BNW. I've started playing Civ recently, G&K version, and I liked the game quite a lot, although I felt the last part of the game was a bit lacking (in part because I've been playing easy and going up with each game). The game I'm playing, I'm playing King for the first time. Add BNW and the game seems to be another; so much better.

At first I thought they were jusst small changes, but they gel so well with the existing gameplay, that it'ss hard to believe they weren't in there from start. Trade routes add A LOT in the early game, setting them properly is a big plus (I didn't). Then the whole culture revamp is very passive early game, but then suddenly, it's quite the race for getting them all and power up your tourism. Then there's world congress, which is fantastic to control power houses and keep an eye on international relationships.

All in all, just like I told, nothing new, but I'd say BNW is essential to the Civ experience. I'm glad I went for it sooner than later.

Man, having so much fun with my latest game. Went a little nuts and put 8 civs on Huge Earth. Everyone has been super quiet but extremely independent (i.e., all requests not to settle or spread faith get stuffed).

Cassius has been super aggressive about expanding and decided to plop himself in the middle of my empire, undefended, and got cleared out of the area without delay. I had to branch out to grab some resources and he snaked out towards that settlement with a string of weak-settlements.

Again, before he could solidify his hold, I wiped them out, only this time I went on a campaign to clear him out of the area and punish him. Which led me to see how he place his cities and really, I don't get the AIs strategy.

Currently I'm sitting in one of his cities, and there are two cities only 4 tiles away in two directions that I practically tripped over thanks to fog of war. There's a fourth just south only another four or five tiles away.

In all, counting a fifth I razed a few turns before we're talking five cities in what has to have been a 20 tile or less radius. Its absurd. I don't get it.

Still I've been running a campaign against him with two artillery and two cavalry and it has been a blast, the most fun I've had yet.

Deadman

Played venice for the first time yesterday. I have over 30k gold and all of my cities have every building possible. Im basically just clicking next turn until the UN is made and I win the game. Trade routes are pretty strong.

The ai seemed very active in this game, I think i just got lucky and randomed a lot of war civs. France attacked and killed India very early on. Greece has been at war with several civs, is currently attacking japan. Montezuma has fought france several times, poland hates greece and france so they will probably go to war soon too.

pilonv1

Been trying Venice on Diety and it's getting really annoying. Usually by turn 90 or so someone has marched 10+ units to my borders and reached Medieval while I'm still trying to get my NC up. Been getting quite a few DOWs on CS that I've puppeted with no warning as well.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Been trying Venice on Diety and it's getting really annoying. Usually by turn 90 or so someone has marched 10+ units to my borders and reached Medieval while I'm still trying to get my NC up. Been getting quite a few DOWs on CS that I've puppeted with no warning as well.

Welcome to deity, have fun!
>_>
<_<

Picked up this bad boy after the recent sale at Green Man Gaming.

So so addictive. I'm currently playing on the second easiest difficulty since this is my first real foray into strategy games, but I'm loving the experience. I was so sad when my boy Genghis Khan turned on me after like 3000 years of friendship. All because I decided to build cities near his territory.

Can't wait to ramp the difficulty up.

Picked up this bad boy after the recent sale at Green Man Gaming.

So so addictive. I'm currently playing on the second easiest difficulty since this is my first real foray into strategy games, but I'm loving the experience. I was so sad when my boy Genghis Khan turned on me after like 3000 years of friendship. All because I decided to build cities near his territory.

Can't wait to ramp the difficulty up.

Ghengis is never your friend. Him, Alexander, Atilla and Suileman at the very least are never to be trusted.

jph139

In my experience, Genghis and Attila are trustworthy as long as you're not weaker than they are. If your military is better than theirs they're good pals (and you can point them in the direction of your enemies pretty easily).

pilonv1

Ghengis is never your friend. Him, Alexander, Atilla and Suileman at the very least are never to be trusted.

Monty seems to be the worst for me, then Suleiman and Catherine. Always wanting to pick a fight when we've been friends for centuries with no problems.

Sibylus

Banned
In my experience, Genghis and Attila are trustworthy as long as you're not weaker than they are. If your military is better than theirs they're good pals (and you can point them in the direction of your enemies pretty easily).
This is definitely true of my experience as well. Beat them in a war 3-4 times to level the power gap and they'll become your best friends forever.

Honestly until I started expanding upon his borders we were pretty tight. Everyone other Civ was denouncing him but I held the line.

Can't believe the mofo turned on me. Am gonna destroy his entire empire for this treachery.

pilonv1

NZ2R7CE.jpg

*sigh*

I'm still getting the hang of the new elements in BNW. I just hit the Renaissance Era and I'm trying to go culture victory. After pumping out two or so Great Writers the cost has skyrocketed and I haven't built a new great work in years. I think I'm sitting at about 10 Tourism and I'm stuck at either Rising Slowly or Falling in terms of influence. I'm rushing the Sistine Chapel and then I'm assuming Artists/Musician's Guilds? I've got three caravans sand open borders to all discovered Civs but still no dice.

Is low tourism early on alright, or should I be trying to get more of a gain now?

BNW is fun but thanks to rolling Alexander in 3 of the 5 games I've played I've barely got to enjoy the suspense and intrigue of the World Congress. Fuck off already.

Started my first game with Shoshone &#8211; holy shit at that UA.

Started a different game on the Eastern US map. Decided I was gonna warmong and I finally did it right &#8211; after conquering all of England and decimating polynesia, I got DoW'd by the US and Ethiopia who were nowhere nearby. While they sent troops to the Georgia area, two Frigates with +1 one range and a Privateer strolled around Florida to Washington's capital in Texas and took it in short order.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so still playing on Gods and Kings

I'm coming around to the idea that Catherine is always going to be a fucking problem on the larger maps.

so still playing on Gods and Kings

I'm coming around to the idea that Catherine is always going to be a fucking problem on the larger maps.

She tends to really piss off other AIs with her behavior, so you can sometimes bribe AIs-especially warmongers- into DOW'ing her if they neighbor her.

Maledict

She's always a religious maniac in my games nowadays - spreads far and wide, extremely aggressive towards anyone near here and unbelievably pushy with her religion.

I'm still getting the hang of the new elements in BNW. I just hit the Renaissance Era and I'm trying to go culture victory. After pumping out two or so Great Writers the cost has skyrocketed and I haven't built a new great work in years. I think I'm sitting at about 10 Tourism and I'm stuck at either Rising Slowly or Falling in terms of influence. I'm rushing the Sistine Chapel and then I'm assuming Artists/Musician's Guilds? I've got three caravans sand open borders to all discovered Civs but still no dice.

Is low tourism early on alright, or should I be trying to get more of a gain now?

You really want some kind of multipliers for great work GP generation when playing cultural-I would suggest getting arts funding passed and ensuring at the very least have the Aesthetics opener and a Garden in your writer and artist city. Heroic Epic is helpful too. This will greatly accelerate GP production Do NOT build a musician guild until the very very late game, musicians are used to deal with the cultural runaway in your game to seal the deal with concerts.

I wouldn't worry too much about GP generation provided you have the core GP acceleration modifiers in place. If you don't, fix that.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
If he's really becoming a thorn in your side, you can always download the Really Advanced Setup mod and just turn him off.

Unfortunately, that part of that mod doesn't work right now. At least not for he last few weeks. Maybe he could have fixed it last weekend.

You really want some kind of multipliers for great work GP generation when playing cultural-I would suggest getting arts funding passed and ensuring at the very least have the Aesthetics opener and a Garden in your writer and artist city. Heroic Epic is helpful too. This will greatly accelerate GP production Do NOT build a musician guild until the very very late game, musicians are used to deal with the cultural runaway in your game to seal the deal with concerts.

I wouldn't worry too much about GP generation provided you have the core GP acceleration modifiers in place. If you don't, fix that.

I've def got some multipliers in place - I cleared out Aesthetics, rolled the Gardens of Babylon. I think I have the Writer's Guild (which has already produced at least 2 great works) but I'm not sure about the Heroic Epic so I'll have to look there.

Thanks for the tips - it's such a change for me from Gods and Kings and Vanilla, I just have no idea what feels appropriate in terms of Tourism yet.Great Writers? Theme Bonus? It's all new to me.

Oh, I started a Marathon game on the advice of a few posters this weekend.. and I can't stand it. I actually reverted to the board game view in the 200s and turned on auto-star turn because I would have loads of turns with nothing to do while waiting for stuff to complete. Sorry, but I find it awful.

---

On the flip-side I found a new religion strategy and I was wondering if you guys did it too. Basically, since every game there are a limited number of religions that can be founded, once i have a spare prophet, if I know of civ without a religion I send the prophet to their city to convert them, figuring they'll spread it to their other cities and CSs naturally and more effectively than if I tried to do it piecemeal. Smart?

On the flip-side I found a new religion strategy and I was wondering if you guys did it too. Basically, since every game there are a limited number of religions that can be founded, once i have a spare prophet, if I know of civ without a religion I send the prophet to their city to convert them, figuring they'll spread it to their other cities and CSs naturally and more effectively than if I tried to do it piecemeal. Smart?

If I understand you correctly, once all of the religions have been discovered, any civ that has not founded one loses the ability to generate Great Prophets, so those players won't be able to do anything for you. It is a good idea to convert them regardless because that is one modifier that works in your favor for diplomacy and cultural purposes, and the more nearby cities that carry your faith, the stronger they all are and the better they spread over time without doing anything.

If you're next to a religious civ it's sometimes better to not create a religion and let them do all of the work. You'll still get all of their follower beliefs and they'll like you more for having a common religion.

If I understand you correctly, once all of the religions have been discovered, any civ that has not founded one loses the ability to generate Great Prophets, so those players won't be able to do anything for you. It is a good idea to convert them regardless because that is one modifier that works in your favor for diplomacy and cultural purposes, and the more nearby cities that carry your faith, the stronger they all are and the better they spread over time without doing anything.

If you're next to a religious civ it's sometimes better to not create a religion and let them do all of the work. You'll still get all of their follower beliefs and they'll like you more for having a common religion.

I should clarify &#8211; didn't really know about prophets, but I figure the capitals would exude religious pressure via trade routes and by being the (theoretical) center of their empire, pushing it outward.

Oh, I started a Marathon game on the advice of a few posters this weekend.. and I can't stand it. I actually reverted to the board game view in the 200s and turned on auto-star turn because I would have loads of turns with nothing to do while waiting for stuff to complete. Sorry, but I find it awful.

Marathon is terrible in Civ 5. It's incredibly boring. It's usually suggested by people who are bad at the game, since it makes the game much easier for the player vs. normal speed and lets them win at higher difficulties than their understanding of the game would normally allow.

There are some people that want games that last a year to play, but if you are looking for that kind of experience maybe you should take up something that's a bit more challenging than Marathon -level Civ 5.

What do you guys think of Bismarch (Germany)?

Am running them for the the first time but they seem like a fair easy route to building a land army via their 50% chance of converting Barbarians to your own troops. Only early into my play through with them but so far the early game has been fairly easy.

Marathon is terrible in Civ 5. It's incredibly boring. It's usually suggested by people who are bad at the game, since it makes the game much easier for the player vs. normal speed and lets them win at higher difficulties than their understanding of the game would normally allow.

There are some people that want games that last a year to play, but if you are looking for that kind of experience maybe you should take up something that's a bit more challenging than Marathon -level Civ 5.

Just curiously why is that the case?

Am fairly new to the game and I initially planned to run all my games at Marathon (like you mentioned, I'm one of those people that like their games lasting a while), but it would kind of ruin my enjoyment of the game if I was getting a relatively easier experience on the same difficulty level.

I guess it appealed to me because I liked the idea of an "era" lasting longer. I was a bit unsatisfied with how short they were on normal speed, although maybe that's just down to my personal preference.

Unfortunately, that part of that mod doesn't work right now. At least not for he last few weeks. Maybe he could have fixed it last weekend.

Oh, really? I'd only put it on for a match or two to remove Alexander, and didn't happen to draw him. I suppose it could have been coincidence, though.

I can see it both ways. If you prioritize the wrong thing on marathon, that's 16 turns to build something you aren't making up for any time soon.

I am not. I was mostly drawn by the intrigue that era lasted a little longer and were more interesting, but there's nothing intriguing about watching the game keep automatically ending turns because you have nothing to do.

Fall patch public beta is available on Steam.

1 - Right click on Civ 5 and choose properties.
2 - Go to Betas tab.
3 - Enter 'publicbetaplease' into the access code box and click 'check code'.
4 - Select the beta from the drop down menu above.
5 - Download should start automatically.

Myomoto

I like a lot of the changes, even if having samurai building fishing boats is a tad random. My only complaint is that they didn't go far enough.

Tradition and Rationalism still need a knock with the nerf stick, and Consulates in Patronage needs to be removed/moved further down in the tree. It's simply too powerful to get friend status with every City State from using two Social Policies and pledging to protect them. Honor and Piety still seem lacklustre as well.

Great Scientists needs to be reworked. They need to give a fixed amount of beakers depending on which Era you are in, so you're no longer encouraged to collect a bunch of scientist and then grind em' into science juice 8 turns after you've got science labs in all your cities for an insane tech bump.

And redo the "God of War" pantheon already, it's shit!

My only complaint is that they didn't go far enough.
Indeed. The developers said that they wanted to completely change the way people played the game with Japan and make an isolationist play-style beneficial. Creating fishing boats with Samurai and no oil for Zeros is pretty awful. There were some absolutely fantastic suggestions for Japan on CivFanatics (like adding gold and other bonuses to internal trade routes), but these fell on deaf ears. The Zero has always been CiV's most useless unit and now with the limitation of 6 air-units per city, it's become even more worthless.

Thankfully Germany seems to become a little more viable.

Ogimachi

Indeed. The developers said that they wanted to completely change the way people played the game with Japan and make an isolationist play-style beneficial. Creating fishing boats with Samurai and no oil for Zeros is pretty awful. There were some absolutely fantastic suggestions for Japan on CivFanatics (like adding gold and other bonuses to internal trade routes), but these fell on deaf ears. The Zero has always been CiV's most useless unit and now with the limitation of 6 air-units per city, it's become even more worthless.

Thankfully Germany seems to become a little more viable.
Germany is now mediocre instead of being one of the worst civs. The Hanse seems a good building, but I'm biased haha. I was working on a Prussia mod and the Hanse was a very similar building - it added +1 hammer and +2 gold to trade routes with city-states.
Anyway, Furor Teutonicus is still shit. It provides a bunch of weak melee units, which are terrible for maintenance and conquering cities, and becomes useless rather quickly.

I don't get it, really. If the idea was to improve and make both civs unique, why keep the UAs?

Phades

I can see it both ways. If you prioritize the wrong thing on marathon, that's 16 turns to build something you aren't making up for any time soon.

I am not. I was mostly drawn by the intrigue that era lasted a little longer and were more interesting, but there's nothing intriguing about watching the game keep automatically ending turns because you have nothing to do.
Marathon promotes war really, since it gives you more time per era to capture or raise cities. Things that net instant bonuses can really push one of the players ahead, since the savings in terms of turns is very signifigant which arguably makes engineers rather broken. It does feel a bit tedious playing the game though when you have a stalemate, since nothing happens for hours. I found my happy medium break point for pacing on Epic.

Creating fishing boats with Samurai and no oil for Zeros is pretty awful.

Fishing boats with Samurais are awesome. A single Samurai can get a brand new coastal or island town up and running in a few turns with no additional cost. Not only that, but Samurais can reach more ocean resources than fishing boats are able to like resources that are blocked off by ice or on the opposite coast as your town.

PBalfredo

Tempted to jump on the steam sale before it ends for the expansions. Back when I was playing with a buddy on the base game, we had a real problem with the game getting bogged down and buggy in the later turns near the end game, cause use to get nasty desync errors that were basically game ending. Has that been improved any? Has the game been patched as they've been putting out expansions or it is still as buggy and weirdly unoptimized as ever?

If it does play better, which of the expansion packs are worth it? Get Gods and Kings at 75% off and wait for BNW to lower in price, or get both?

fresquito

Tempted to jump on the steam sale before it ends for the expansions. Back when I was playing with a buddy on the base game, we had a real problem with the game getting bogged down and buggy in the later turns near the end game, cause use to get nasty desync errors that were basically game ending. Has that been improved any? Has the game been patched as they've been putting out expansions or it is still as buggy and weirdly unoptimized as ever?

If it does play better, which of the expansion packs are worth it? Get Gods and Kings at 75% off and wait for BNW to lower in price, or get both?
I can¡t tell about bugs and all, but the game has only crashed on me once (BNW). As for expansions, G&K is a steal at that price. BNW is really worth the money too. It adds little things, but they are game changing. New diplomacy and turism make diplomatic and cultural victories worthwhile and interesting.

I think you could ge BNW cheaper though.

ascii42

BNW gets you all of the gameplay changes of G&K. Only reason to buy G&K is for the Civilizations it adds.

Any advice for cultural victory? It's the one victory I haven't achieved yet against my friends, and I'm always not even close to it being an option. How much tourism do I need to be getting per turn?

Top Bottom