• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V Brave New World |OT| More than Content Tourism

Dylan

Hmm, I read through the patch notes and they don't seem to have fixed the bug where the plane-bombing-a-submarine animation is hilariously long and involves the sub spinning around like crazy. Nice.

Myomoto

Candis no longer require fresh water! Finally, Indonesia is not totally gimped on a Archipelago maps which it should be best on.

It makes the candi pretty insane really. If you go wide with Indonesia you can get some pretty wild faith outputs, and it works wonderfully with the Peace Gardens belief.

spiritfox

It makes the candi pretty insane really. If you go wide with Indonesia you can get some pretty wild faith outputs, and it works wonderfully with the Peace Gardens belief.

Which stacking with its free luxuries from its UA, makes Indonesia actually not suck now.

Maledict

I know it's overpriced, but the new small continents map inthe scrambled map pack is *superb*. Finally have a setting that will generate a decent mix of Islands and continents without filling up every small island with a city state.

Has been great fun with Indonesia settling cities across the world which is something that've always felt was missing a bit on maps outside archipelago.

pilonv1

I know it's overpriced, but the new small continents map inthe scrambled map pack is *superb*. Finally have a setting that will generate a decent mix of Islands and continents without filling up every small island with a city state.

Has been great fun with Indonesia settling cities across the world which is something that've always felt was missing a bit on maps outside archipelago.

I might spring for it because every map I play on seems to end up with one runaway due to some lucky positioning.

GManDH

i am new to this game but always wanted it. finally got it, but there is somethings i dont get. i only play marathon, and i only care for domination victory. with that in mind, is there a purpose for religion?? i focus on culture, resources, and military mostly.

Sibylus

Banned
Religion can give benefits to just about anything you want, so yes. There's stuff that allows you to purchase units with faith, for instance.

belushy

Banned
edit: Sorry, I didn't realize this was just designated for BNW. I just saw " Civilization V" in the title and posted. Sorry guys!

BNW is 50% off at GMG and even cheaper with a coupon (GMG20-P6Y1F-KC19F for NA 20% off, TAREM-FEUBS-38ND8 for some European stores 33% off)
$12 USD

It's 20 bucks for me in Australia. If I buy the NA copy through a VPN will that work fine with my copy of Civ 5 bought on Aus Steam?

fresquito

i am new to this game but always wanted it. finally got it, but there is somethings i dont get. i only play marathon, and i only care for domination victory. with that in mind, is there a purpose for religion?? i focus on culture, resources, and military mostly.
Of course it does. For istance, you can gain two science from every city connected to your capital. If you have 20 cities, that's +40 to science, which is pretty good. Besides, you can gain 1 gold per 4 citizens that follow the religion. Imagine those 20 cities have all of them 4 followers, that's some extra 40 gold, not counting foreign cities that may follow your religion.

So yeah, it's worth working on your religion.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Can I just say how much I like the Zulu?

Every Civ hates me and thinks I'm a warmonger now, and Siam has a giant army right outside my borders, but he's about to learn a lesson about these Impi.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That treacherous bastard. I stomp his invading force, push him back, and then I show mercy and allow a peace treaty because the terms are favorable.

What does mercy get you? An enemy who discovers gunpowder, that's what.

That treacherous bastard. I stomp his invading force, push him back, and then I show mercy and allow a peace treaty because the terms are favorable.

What does mercy get you? An enemy who discovers gunpowder, that's what.

Yea...I never give peace when I have the upper hand...

After only three games with the Gods and Kings expansion, my friend gifted me Brave New World over the sale and now I'm trading like I mean it!

It's finally getting to that Civ4 + expansions peak isn't it?

Goldrush

I don't think an expansion/DLC ever changed my view of a game like BNW. Got Civ V near launch and didn't feel like there is much to the game than domination victory. Don't know how much came from the original, G&K, or BNW, but the other victories are actually fun to play now. It's an absolute genius move to include Venice. When Domination is almost impossible, it gives you breathing room to learn the other systems.

fresquito

I don't think an expansion/DLC ever changed my view of a game like BNW. Got Civ V near launch and didn't feel like there is much to the game than domination victory. Don't know how much came from the original, G&K, or BNW, but the other victories are actually fun to play now. It's an absolute genius move to include Venice. When Domination is almost impossible, it gives you breathing room to learn the other systems.
G&K added some interesting systems, but BNW is the one rounding everything up (and making diplomatic and cultural victories fun to play). Now they need to rework science victory and everything will be perfect.

Played Vanilla civ for about 30-40 hours and enjoyed it (I know thats not much). I had most of the DLC from a previous steam sale when I initially purchased the game. Picked up both expansions in this steam sale and finished my last game of of Vanilla.

This is a totally different game with GnK and BNW. It's a little much starting them at the same time but I love the changes! I spent a chunk of yesterday reading this thread for tips and trying to figure out what to expect with all the changes. I can't wait to get to the World Congress years!

I'm playing as Brazil and started very slow but now I have great artist, writers and musicians spawning frequently. I'm really starting to progress at a rapid pace. I basically have no Army and I'm waiting for everything to fall apart due to this. William is to the south of me and recently caught a spy of mine. He forgave me and has been extremely friendly but I'm worried that will come back at me. Are civs forgiving with spies if they are in a friendly status with you?

fresquito

Played Vanilla civ for about 30-40 hours and enjoyed it (I know thats not much). I had most of the DLC from a previous steam sale when I initially purchased the game. Picked up both expansions in this steam sale and finished my last game of of Vanilla.

This is a totally different game with GnK and BNW. It's a little much starting them at the same time but I love the changes! I spent a chunk of yesterday reading this thread for tips and trying to figure out what to expect with all the changes. I can't wait to get to the World Congress years!

I'm playing as Brazil and started very slow but now I have great artist, writers and musicians spawning frequently. I'm really starting to progress at a rapid pace. I basically have no Army and I'm waiting for everything to fall apart due to this. William is to the south of me and recently caught a spy of mine. He forgave me and has been extremely friendly but I'm worried that will come back at me. Are civs forgiving with spies if they are in a friendly status with you?
If you don't send any more spies that he finds, it will be ok. I suggest you try to make th relation sucessful, even if it costs you some. I sometimes gift some luxuries to some countries, so they think I'm good to them. Try to have frienship and protection deals and good trades and you'll be fine.

Ogimachi

After 360hrs in I'm trying out the scenarios, and the Scramble for Africa was disappointing. I hear Fall of Rome is the best, but I've yet to play it. 1066: Year of Viking Destiny was a lot of fun as Harold, I wonder why it doesn't get as much praise?

Playing a huge map with the highest amount of civs and city states (this randomed) and everyone still has their capitals at 400 turns into the game. Is this normal? The political aspect has been great. I have a really weak and small Army so I'm not complaining about being left alone. I've just been finding great works and driving up tourism and culture.

I just figured some other powers would be going after each other more. Have they adapted to me not caring about war and assisting them? I think the only battles was with the huns but now they are embargoed they will not be acting up.

Arthea

Can someone kindly tell me estimated time required for playing through Wonders of the Ancient World scenario, Renaissance scenario and New World Scenario?
trying to plan my playing times.
Or at least tell me which one is shortest and longest.

fake edit: oh, Fall of Rome too.

Ogimachi

Can someone kindly tell me estimated time required for playing through Wonders of the Ancient World scenario, Renaissance scenario and New World Scenario?
trying to plan my playing times.
Or at least tell me which one is shortest and longest.

fake edit: oh, Fall of Rome too.
Renaissance scenario takes 200 turns, which is fairly long, but it gets a lot worse because turns can take a long time later on. It's not very fun, either, specially if you don't have access to water early in the game. I've yet to play the rest you mentioned, though.
What's this thread's opinion with the two DLC maps?
The scrambled map packs? They're the usual cash grab, buy them on sale with money from steam cards or something like that. The improved small continents script is nice, like fragmamenon said, but most of them have nothing special at all. I did like Australia a lot, though. In the end, they're much worse than the stuff you can find for free on the workshop.

So I purchased Civ V through the Humble Sid Meier Bundle. I played some Civ IV (probably only like 20-30 hours) but that was a long time ago and I feel like I've forgotten a lot. Does anyone know of a good beginner guide for the game? I know the rules and basic concepts and stuff, but I need help making my city placement not shit, knowing how to wage war effectively, knowing what buildings are essential, etc.

Need some help regarding Deity. So far I've been able to manage up to Emperor difficulty fairly well but every time I start a Deity play through I just get steam rolled. I find that no matter how hard I try there's nothing I can do to stop the hyper aggressive Civs, and their large armies, from taking my cities. Are there any tips or tricks in regards to managing a Deity play through?

Need some help regarding Deity. So far I've been able to manage up to Emperor difficulty fairly well but every time I start a Deity play through I just get steam rolled. I find that no matter how hard I try there's nothing I can do to stop the hyper aggressive Civs, and their large armies, from taking my cities. Are there any tips or tricks in regards to managing a Deity play through?
Tip 1: Play Immortal first. The jump from Emperor to Immortal is huge, but the jump from Immortal to Deity is greater.

Tip 2: Watch some of TheRealMadDjinn's Let's Play videos, where you can view how he plays the game. His Beyond The Monument video are also useful but usually focus on one particular aspect instead of a whole play through. Sadly I can't remember the best ones to watch, but I wouldn't be able to play Deity without him. He probably explains his actions in greater detail in early videos, but tactics from 2 years ago have been patched over.

Tip 3: Download the In Game Editor mod and give yourself an amazing capital, with rivers, marble, iron, coal, wheat, horse, stone, units and whatever you need to give yourself an advantage. Then play again, but lessen your cheating. Then play again but only tweak slightly. Then play proper Deity.

Edit: I find that even though I can play Deity, Emperor is the highest difficulty I can go and just mess around and have fun. On the highest two difficulties I need to start planning strategies in far more detail and even working things out with pen/paper.

Moondrop

Banned
Just played complete edition for first time thanks to Steam sale. Customized religions alone are worth the price.

Playing a religious-oriented civ was pretty difficult in my first go, though. My research and cultural borders seemed to stagnate; I guess I didn't focus properly on tourism. My missionaries annoyed everyone but no one actually declared war. Maybe next time I'll try a religious/military approach.

Or Venice. What do people do with Venice- cultural? Scientific? RP? Please don't tell me diplomatic victory.

Niahak

Or Venice. What do people do with Venice- cultural? Scientific? RP? Please don't tell me diplomatic victory.

Venice can actually be pretty flexible with respect to victory types. I'd say Culture / Science are probably the easiest, since you can make your capital a powerhouse for either or both. Diplomatic is pretty easy if you want to go that route, but it's not necessary (and buying up city-states, which is their biggest advantage, takes away potential votes. I don't recall if it lowers the threshold for victory as well). Domination is fairly easy too, since all they need to start deploying an army is to buy a city state near their target and they can buy units/improvements in that newly bought city.

It's a very different and fun way to play. You'll definitely be swimming in money as long as you don't get embargoed. You may want to curry favor with city states and an AI or two just to make sure that doesn't happen. Even if you do get embargoed, you can at least have amazing growth and production with all those spare trade routes.

Moondrop

Banned
Cool, thanks. I'll look into embargoes before I start Venice. Civ always manages to make me feel ignorant of several mechanics details; this should shore up my trade route game.

Due to personal biases, I always turn off the Diplomatic victory condition.

I'm trying to set up a Civ V multiplayer game for one night this week. Send me a PM if you are interested. Or, contact me on Steam; my name is TurnipKnight.

Things that make you #$@%: Playing Pedro and ignoring victory conditions to go for the diplo. Turn 330 roles around, I'm trying to help Indonesia exist because half the world declared on them because they are the weakest of my friends, the turn ends and the game says I lost.

Turns out somehow a time limit victory was on (I don't know how). The Iroquois were leading me all game, but it didn't matter as I had locked up all city-states. So frustrating.

Things that make you #$@%: Playing Pedro and ignoring victory conditions to go for the diplo. Turn 330 roles around, I'm trying to help Indonesia exist because half the world declared on them because they are the weakest of my friends, the turn ends and the game says I lost.

Turns out somehow a time limit victory was on (I don't know how). The Iroquois were leading me all game, but it didn't matter as I had locked up all city-states. So frustrating.

Lol, yeah, I've had that one happen before. First thing I do anymore is make sure Time Limit victories are disabled. Also, Turn 330? Are you playing on a faster setting? I've had that happen on turn 500. Sucks either way.

It's summer, so I'm back in the saddle. Finishing out a win w/ Hiawatha on Deity on a large map, what a stinker of a leader he is. Just want to get the Hiawatha win and large map achievements out of the way (yes I play on Deity standard speed/size every game).

Let me recommend the enhanced UI mod for Civ 5:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=512263

It's great for both single and mutiplayer. Being able to mouseover and see city counts and especially population numbers quickly is a huge boon.

Deity games are just as I remember them-an early game where you walk the line between grabbing land and not pissing people off, the midgame group hug where you get tons of RAs and team up on the bad boy Civ that was dumb enough to capture a city-state, and the raucous endgame of ideological nuclear fire as your tech leaps you over the AI. Fun stuff.

edit: finished t302 science win.Was less work than domination. Time is not great but given the isolated coastal start (didn't meet anyone for a very long time, no worker steals from AIs, etc) I'll take it. Especially on a large map, which is going to elongate tech times anyway. There was a crazy AI runaway with 335 total pop to my 165, but that's still winnable numbers. Used the Order science finisher to end the game a good 15 turns sooner.

Top Bottom