• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clarkson, Hammond and May sign deal with Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh cock.

No Amazon prime video here... And its not in a lot of places. Netflix is in vaslty more countries.

At least the tradition of people pirating a shit load of this show due to lack of offical avalability will continue I guess.

Not shocked though. Amazon is way more aggressive with the one off big deals where as Netflix typically deals in bulk deals.

Zaph

I wouldn't worry, Amazon just bought the most popular show on the planet. You best believe this signals a serious expansion of Amazon Instant Video.

Piggus

Seems a lot of people here are offended really easily and have a horrible sense of humor.

Makes it easier to avoid them if they're behind a paywall. That said, I was rather hoping Amazon would focus on stuff other than this kind of drivel.

*grumble grumble grumble* I hate fun *grumble grumble*

This sucks. I guess I can kiss goodbye the hope of seeing the last season on Top Gear on netflix then.

Why? That's up to Netflix and the BBC and has nothing to do with the trio at this point.

Considering the revenue top gear made from the pretty much worldwide showcase that was the BBC moving to a much much smaller viewership must mean that Amazon had to pay a really large sum to get the trio of Clarkson, Hammond and May, something so massively huge that Netflix couldn't afford to get them, sad thing is if they had gone to Netflix i would've been able to watch it here in Chile... right now who knows...

Good news. I would have preferred Netflix but Amazon will have to do. Can't imagine how much money Amazon must have put up to make this deal happen. Also thoroughly amused at how this utterly inevitable news upsets some people on the Internet.

Is the general consensus still that Amazon isn't shy about spending money but has no idea how to run a successful production company? I haven't kept up with their exclusives since I canceled my prime membership a year ago.

Since Wilman's producing this I don't expect it to be too different tonally or content-wise from Top Gear, but then again the BBC production is a huge part of their success on top Gear.

Timbuktu

Can't really get that excited for this. If this happened five years ago maybe... They probably won't shake up the formula all that much, maybe less than the BBC will.

Number45

Can't really get that excited for this. If this happened five years ago maybe... They probably won't shake up the formula all that much, maybe less than the BBC will.
I'd read at the time that they'd basically signed away any rights they had to the format, is that not the case?

I'd have preferred Netflix but I'm glad Amazon keeping the competition alive. Not like I want Netflix to stagnate while they're on top.

iMax

Has this been posted? Saw it floating about on Reddit.

Ko6iL8p.jpg

Sounds to me like a misinformed support agent. I was under the impression Amazon were producing this, so I'm sure they'd have global rights too.

edit: Press release mentions a 'global deal' but said press release is not being echoed by other Amazon markets—just the UK.

I'm glad they finally managed to close a deal to continue what they were doing. I wasn't expecting Amazon to be chosen over Netflix, but it does make sense that Amazon would want to promote their video services more than Netflix, which already has a robust set of original series.

On another note, does anyone know if Amazon is offering all the older seasons of Top Gear as part of Prime Instant Video? I was in the middle of watching the series on Netflix when, to my chagrin, Netflix pulled all seasons but the latest five. I still have a LOT of catching up to do, so it would be nice to get access again!

Enron

Banned
I saw that email floating around - there's going to be a less than 0 chance that this isn't in the US somehow.

Has this been posted? Saw it floating about on Reddit.

Sounds to me like a misinformed support agent. I was under the impression Amazon were producing this, so I'm sure they'd have global rights too.

edit: Press release mentions a 'global deal' but said press release is not being echoed by other Amazon markets—just the UK.

How can it be a global deal anyway when Amazon streams to exactly 2 out of 200 countries.

Might as well called it the World Series of streaming.

Amazon can't possibly be stupid enough to region lock this show when Top Gear was one of the most pirated shows ever...

You think streaming in only two countries is gonna stop people pirating it? It's going to be pirated waaaaaay more now. At least people could watch it on Netflix before or BBC Canada/US/iPlayer.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How can it be a global deal anyway when Amazon streams to exactly 2 out of 200 countries.

Might as well called it the World Series of streaming.

You think streaming in only two countries is gonna stop people pirating it? It's going to be pirated waaaaaay more now. At least people could watch it on Netflix before or BBC Canada/US/iPlayer.

Amazon hopefully knows what they're getting into.

I'd cancel my account immediately if the US stream on Amazon is delayed or edited from the UK version.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Amazon hopefully knows what they're getting into.

I'd cancel my account immediately if the US stream on Amazon is delayed or edited from the UK version.

Yea, they need to get it to use on-time and unedited. I'm afraid they might be biting off more than they can chew with this deal, they should have let it go to Netflix.

AxeMan

Painful, wished they'd gone with Netflix.
Amazon Prime isn't 'available' in Australia and I don't really want to sign up for another streaming service.

What else has Amazon got that might make it worthwhile?

Edit - just read through the thread. No way am I paying anything more than a monthly subscription. Sorry Amazon, I'll have to get my new Top Gear fix another way

When Kimi won't have a job next year, he can be the new stig but unmasked.

What would be better than Kimi giving 3 line reviews of cars after lapping them?

Tainted

One good thing to come out of this I guess, is that Amazon are mega-rich so the potential to provide a healthy budget to the show's production will be there. Top Gear excelled in this department

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Who are we kidding, everyone knows it will do great. It could be broadcasted exclusively on the n gage and would still kill.

milanbaros

Member?
Apparently Amozon deal is worth more per episode than game of thrones. $250m for 3 years. This is basically looking like amazon's play at the world streaming market. Wouldn't be surprised if they launch in new markets with this.

yami4ct

Save this and not Hannibal? Amazon, what am I even paying you for anymore?

According to Fuller, Amazon wanted to save Hannibal, but they would've wanted to start production on a new season right away. By that time, Fuller was busy and the actors had already been released from their contracts. It would've taken much more time to spin up then Amazon wanted, so it didn't work out.

Korgill

Apparently Amozon deal is worth more per episode than game of thrones. $250m for 3 years. This is basically looking like amazon's play at the world streaming market. Wouldn't be surprised if they launch in new markets with this.

Do we know the number of episodes planned? They also might be doing two seasons a year.

Vibranium

Banned
I wouldn't worry, Amazon just bought the most popular show on the planet. You best believe this signals a serious expansion of Amazon Instant Video.

Well if they brought it to Canada Prime would actually have value. Seriously, Amazon need to expand the streaming. Hulu won't come here so we need them.

HariKari

12 episodes a year according to the FT. Probably 2 series of 6 a year. No word on specials though.

Comes out to roughly $7 million an episode if the $250m figure is accurate. Anyone know what the BBC budget was for the show?

edit: some figures have the past budget at $10 million usd or so for an entire season.

milanbaros

Member?
Comes out to roughly $7 million an episode if the $250m figure is accurate. Anyone know what the BBC budget was for the show?

I know it was less than $7m. Interested how much of the extra budget is going to clarkson, Hammond and May's pocket compared to production though. I wouldn't be surprised if they see this as their pay day for being on the biggest show in the world for over a decade.

HariKari

I wouldn't be surprised if they see this as their pay day for being on the biggest show in the world for over a decade.

If it's anything like Clarkson's previous arrangement with the BBC, they'll probably ask for some kind of profit sharing or a cut of the rights being sold elsewhere. BBC previously bought out Clarkson's portion of that for the old Top Gear, so he is pretty well off. For being on one of the most watched shows in the world, they really weren't paid all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom