• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clarkson, Hammond and May sign deal with Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandson

So Canada is going to get Amazon Video by the time the show airs right?

I wouldn't put it past Bell or Rogers somehow getting the Canadian license to the new show, and then refusing to let you pay to watch it without a cable/satellite subscription.

mrboo001

Banned
I wouldn't put it past Bell or Rogers somehow getting the Canadian license to the new show, and then refusing to let you pay to watch it without a cable/satellite subscription.

They already did, in a way:

http://business.financialpost.com/f...stream-original-amazon-video-content-on-shomi

Rogers Communications Inc. and Shaw Communications Inc. announced on Thursday that the two companies have signed a deal to stream Amazon.com Inc.’s original TV content via their jointly-owned streaming platform, Shomi.

From https://my.shomi.com/subscribe

shomi ™ has movies you WANT to watch, shows you NEED to binge and collections you HAVE to try. Currently, shomi is available to Rogers and Shaw Internet or cable customers. To subscribe, click on the shomi partner you're with and we'll get started.

Good thing I have Prime, but I'd still rather it be on Netflix. They have lost out on some good properties lately.

But as for fragmentation, what did everyone expect? That one company would just have the rights to everything out there? That's unrealistic.

sikkinixx

Fuck off. I guess I'll never get to watch it. Amazons services are basically Non existent in Canada. We only just got photo storage with prime (oh boy!)

BraXzy

I read the title as they may sign a deal, god damn it James!

Shame Netflix didn't grab them, but I'm happy someone did.

I would have preferred if they went to Netflix, but don't mind them going to Amazon, since I already have a Prime anyway.

Just curious how expensive is Prime in other countries? In Germany it is 50€ or 25€ with the student discount, which isn't too bad for free next day delivery, Instant Video and some other things.

Chris R

I was a prime member, but only ever wanted to use the shipping. When they raised the price I cancelled right away.

I guess I'll have to resub though whenever the show comes out. I guess I hold off on all Amazon purchases when a release date is announced get that prime shipping when the show is out.

Jarrod38

Where are the gifs, I'm disappointed.

svRrN5m.gif

4sJ87aM.gif

Mindwipe

Do Amazon not offer their Instant Video service separately anywhere else like they do here in the UK? I don't have a Prime sub for £79 a year, I wouldn't use any other of their services, but their video sub is the same price as Netflix, so I just have both.

No, that's really just a legacy of them having bought Lovefilm.

(Well, actually I can't remember if they still do it in Germany which was the other territory Lovefilm operated in).

Jimrpg

damn look at those amazon shares go in the last couple of months. I totally missed the boat... thought there wasn't enough value at $250... so wrong.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Prime is slowly returning to being worth the premium again. Assuming that this will be "free" on Prime Instant Video, and not just available for purchase/rental on the regular Instant Video service.

Honestly, if it's able to be bought on Instant, I'd take that route over the Prime premium. I use Amazon, but not enough to justify the Prime membership. So being able to get the seasons for a small cost would be more worthwhile to me than a sub.

TheSeks

WTF??
Clarkson dropped a N-word and hit a low level employee and people here celebrate this??
This is truly a new low.

JLawOkay.gif

We aren't excusing what he did/done, we're excited for the product not the person.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Considering Amazon Prime Video has a very limited reach compared to Netflix, I do not like this :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I'm a Prime member but apparently I need Shaw or Rogers to watch this?

What the fuck Canada
Blame Amazon really. I assume they don't want to deal with the troubles that come with running a Canadian arm of a streaming company so they would rather just sell their shows to others who have the infrastructure.

riotous

Banned
For those talking about next-day delivery.. Prime offers free same day delivery in several markets in the US.

But still many products only have free 2-day delivery. Just depends on which warehouse the product is in and where you live.

I'm a big fan of Top Gear but I've never gone as far as to join in on any discussion about it online. Have to admit I'm sort of surprised at all of the hate for Clarkson. I didn't realize he rubbed so many people the wrong way.

TheSeks

Ahhhh I see, he is completely removed from the product then? even though he does seem to be an integral part of it.

Clarksonnbomb.gif

Him as a person != Him as a character on the show.

What he did on Top Gear after the cameras stopped rolling = him as a person.

How is this... hard for you to understand? Nobody is excusing what he did off camera. People are excited for what he (and the other two) bring on camera.

sikkinixx

Blame Amazon really. I assume they don't want to deal with the troubles that come with running a Canadian arm of a streaming company so they would rather just sell their shows to others who have the infrastructure.

Just means people can torrent the hell out of it I guess.

Him as a person != Him as a character on the show.

What he did on Top Gear after the cameras stopped rolling = him as a person.

How is this... hard for you to understand? Nobody is excusing what he did off camera. People are excited for what he (and the other two) bring on camera.

Bro, you seriously need to stop fucking typing. You still into Hulkamania??

dalin80

Banned
Vile people teaming up with a vile company. At least I don't have to pay their salaries now.

They more then paid for there own salaries, in fact Top Gear income pretty much paid for every BBC programme that was on the main channel. Enjoy paying the same amount for less return.

WTF??
Clarkson dropped a N-word and hit a low level employee and people here celebrate this??
This is truly a new low.

He didn't actually say the 'N-word' and in that context it was far from hate speech or intended insult.

Kinda wish it was on Netflix instead as well even though I don't have Netflix and have Amazon prime. Just for how many more people Netflix can reach. I mean unless Amazon will use this as a way to launch into more areas and grow their service more then just the one show.

Meh, not too big on this being on Prime. Not gonna pay for a full year when there is no other content worth paying for. Should have been on netflix.

What's so hard about running a Canadian arm if they have streaming video in other countries?

Netflix seems to manage it just fine.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
No, that's really just a legacy of them having bought Lovefilm.

(Well, actually I can't remember if they still do it in Germany which was the other territory Lovefilm operated in).

Ahhh ok, well that sucks for other countries.

Once more:

2015%2B-%2B1

I'm actually quite interested to see how they will handle it, they are really gonna have to push the boat out to keep fans, I expect them to go somewhat all out to begin with.

Would have preferred Netflix but at least it's not ITV.

I would have taken ITV, at least it would have been free for everyone to watch, I'm happy it isn't Sky, they have an awful history of bidding for shows that get popular on terrestrial channels and then taking them after a couple seasons.

They more then paid for there own salaries, in fact Top Gear income pretty much paid for every BBC programme that was on the main channel. Enjoy paying the same amount for less return.

He didn't actually say the 'N-word' and in that context it was far from hate speech or intended insult.

hmmmm, he did apologise for it... so...

Its incredible that some people on a popular show get a free pass and some not on a popular show...don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom