• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clarkson, Hammond and May sign deal with Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm extremely excited about this. Maybe this means that they'll change their format up a little bit. While I've always been a big fan, I will say that the last few seasons were a bit stale and just way too scripted. I know the show is always going to be somewhat scripted, but hopefully they can figure out a nice middle ground like in the old days.

Excellent. Already have a Prime Student membership so it works out for me, plus now I really don't have to sign up for Netflix thank goodness. I'm glad they have creative control so we can stuff that they want to do too.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
BamDvL0.png

I wonder what happened to the real Richard Hammond that they had to resort to using his evil twin...

giga

Has it not occurred to anyone the reason they got them is to start pushing prime in a bunch of new countries? If you wanted people to sign up, don't you think a show with a big international following might be helpful?
Is this just speculation by you or do you have some reputable sources that indicate this is their plan?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
An international prime video expansion is obvious, yes, but signing top gear as a precursor to a wide international rollout isn't.

Added the India link.

They're obviously linking Prime's expansion to more than just free delivery in other territories. Securing content which has international appeal makes sense.

Fuchsdh

Clarkson is undeniably a pain in the arse but what's your beef with Hammond and May?

They watched one guy's standup routine.

Such a hassle, and I think it is illegal (is it?). Even if it's not enforced.

I would love to pay for this and other digital goods, but companies are making it very difficult for me. I don't understand it.

I highly doubt someone's going to come to your house and bust down the door for using a VPN. But yeah, I can understand your frustration at having to consider it. Of the big content providers (Netflix, iTunes, Google, etc.) Amazon is pretty much the worst with non-US offerings.

No_Style

In regards to what specifically? TV/Movie content?

In terms of offered services.

Here's Amazon.com vs Amazon.ca's Prime Offerings compared:

U.S:

• Prime Shipping
  • Amazon Video
  • Amazon Music
  • Unlimited Photo Storage
  • Kindle E-Books
$99 USD per year

Canada:

• Prime Shipping
$79 CAD per year

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
In terms of offered services.

Here's Amazon.com vs Amazon.ca's Prime Offerings compared:

U.S:

• Prime Shipping
  • Amazon Video
  • Amazon Music
  • Kindle E-Books
$99 USD per year

Canada:

• Prime Shipping
$79 CAD per year

Germany:

• Prime Shipping
  • Prime Instant Video
  • Kindle Library
49€ per year

munchie64

They really need to bring legit Amazon to Australia. I don't even mean physical stuff necessarily but more than just e-books.

Beefy

I highly doubt someone's going to come to your house and bust down the door for using a VPN. But yeah, I can understand your frustration at having to consider it. Of the big content providers (Netflix, iTunes, Google, etc.) Amazon is pretty much the worst with non-US offerings.

Isit? For me Prime is far better the Netlix (UK). I get a few shows that aren't even out in the UK yet. Then you get the shows that are far ahead (series wise) on Prime compared to UK TV.
You get:
Prime Music
Prime Shipping
Prime Instant Video
Photo Storage
Kindle Library

£79 per year.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Isit? For me Prime is far better the Netlix (UK). I get a few shows that aren't even out in the UK yet. Then you get the shows that are far ahead (series wise) on Prime compared to UK TV. You also get Prime Music, E-Books and Prime Deliveries etc.

One thing that really sucks outside US/UK is that Instant Video inexplicably does not offer the original English soundtrack on almost all movies and shows. They have added this functionality recently, but only a few titles support it currently. Before that, they had duplicate entries for some shows marked with '[OV]'.

HariKari

Vile people teaming up with a vile company. At least I don't have to pay their salaries now.

Yeah, "vile" people who made the BBC a lot of money.

Dislike Amazon Prime but they must have outbid Netflix.

Does this mean every episode dumps at once?

Beefy

One thing that really sucks outside US/UK is that Instant Video inexplicably does not offer the original English soundtrack on almost all movies and shows. They have added this functionality recently, but only a few titles support it currently. Before that, they had duplicate entries for some shows marked with '[OV]'.

Hopefully they start to ramp up (or start up) in other countries, it is a great service when done right. Having been a Prime customer for around a year it is imo far better then Netflix UK.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Has Amazon ever made compelling video content?

Yeah, this past year for their original content has been great. Transparent was fantastic, and Mozart in the Jungle is a fun comedy with a unique premise. And the Man in the High Castle pilot was compelling, so they're definitely on an upswing.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Vile people teaming up with a vile company. At least I don't have to pay their salaries now.

Get out. Seriously.

If you don't like them then why come in here?

Good for you that you don't need to "pay their salaries" anymore, eh? Maybe start getting annoyed for the other salaries you're paying for in the BBC.

Beefy

Get out. Seriously.

If you don't like them then why come in here?

Good for you that you don't need to "pay their salaries" anymore, eh? Maybe start getting annoyed for the other salaries you're paying for in the BBC.

Clarkson seems to get crazy hate. Despite the BBC paying big salaries to a number of paedos for years.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Do Amazon not offer their Instant Video service separately anywhere else like they do here in the UK? I don't have a Prime sub for £79 a year, I wouldn't use any other of their services, but their video sub is the same price as Netflix, so I just have both.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Wilman and Clarkson are the driving force behind the Top Gear revamp.

I do love the efforts to diminish how central to Top Gear Clarkson is / was.

The real lynchpin is Richard Porter. If they can't get him or a writer of his calibre on board you'll see a real decline in quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom