• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic courses is my favorite feature in Mario Kart.

nkarafo

I think this started with the GBA game? It had (i think) the whole SNES courses pack and i remember this being my favorite feature as i spent more time with those levels than the new ones.

I was disappointed that Double Dash didn't have classic courses remakes because i was looking forward seeing some old levels remade with better graphics and a remastered soundtrack. GBA was hardly more powerful than the SNES (and sound wise was worse) so the classic levels didn't look much better (and the music was worse). But from the next game in the series and beyond, this has become a standard.

Mario Kart 8 is probably the best in this. The Ribbon Road looks astonishing and SNES Rainbow Road is probably my favorite track ever (and i love the ripple effect they added).

I think this is mostly because of the soundtrack. Original Super Mario Kart and 64 have the best music in the series for me and hearing these tunes in remixed/remastered form feels great. And maybe it's just nostalgia but i also love playing these old levels in "next gen" graphics mode. It's like i'm finally playing these levels in the form i was imagining in my head, since those Mode 7 graphics were somewhat limited.

Having said that, i would kill for a Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 remasters. Same games, better graphics and remastered music (just remastered, not remixed).

weekev

Banned
Yeah the original remastered courses are incredible even without adding in things like excitebike and fzero which add another layer of greatness.

If only they remade the battle courses from Mario64.

rardk64

The remade retro tracks are one of the things I'm most excited about whenever a new Mario Kart is on the way. In the past, they weren't really remade like they were in Mario Kart 8 right? They've set a new standard for their retro tracks now because of MK8.

I do wish they hadn't made the N64 Rainbow Road go from the longest track in the series to one of the shortest. But an adjustment did need to be made I suppose...I'm looking forward to whenever the Double Dash Rainbow Road gets redone!

I think they've used so many retro tracks that now they're using too many crap tracks because they're running out of good classic ones and don't seem to want to do repeats.

Chastten

Banned
The thing I like best is that Mario Kart 8 includes most of my favorite courses from my previously favorite Mario Kart game - Mario Kart 64. If only it included the Battle Mode from 64 as well, this would probably me my game of the generation.

Yoshi Valley, the new-and-improved Rainbow Road and Toad's Turnpike are 3 of my 5 favorite MK64 tracks ever, while Royal Raceway had a nice upgrade and is now also quite good.

I remember people saying that MKDS or MKWii would have a Rainbow Cup filled with classic Rainbow Roads. Still disappointed that it doesn't exist.

nkarafo

Yoshi Valley, the new-and-improved Rainbow Road and Toad's Turnpike are 3 of my 5 favorite MK64 tracks ever, while Royal Raceway had a nice upgrade and is now also quite good.
I loved Yoshi Valley in 64 but Toad's Turnpike not so much. However, the Mario Kart 8 versions are amazing. Yoshi's Valley is my favorite track along the SNES Rainbow Road remake and the new Toad's Turnpike is so much better than the original that i actually like it now.

I think they've used so many retro tracks that now they're using too many crap tracks because they're running out of good classic ones and don't seem to want to do repeats.
They seem happy enough to use SNES Rainbow Road. That's shown up in Super Circuit, MK7 and MK8 DLC.

Definitely my favorite part of MK games. Wondering when they'll go for broke and do an all Rainbow Road cup.

Ribbon Road in MK8 looked great. Shame about the music being butchered, though.

KNT-Zero

I also welcome the addition of classic tracks, but only if they give them a new take, like they did with Mario Circuit GBA and Piranha Plant Pipeway 3DS on MK8, so you esentially play a truly updated version of the track instead of a copy&paste.

Mik2121

The amount of classic Mario Kart tracks is astounding, which goes to show the quality.
There are some tracks that keep popping up and for reason. Specially a fan of Donut Plains 1, Mario Circuit 1 and Koopa Beach 1 from SNES, but all games have so many classics...

Krabboss

I'd almost always rather be racing on new tracks. I'm not complaining about the classic tracks, though, since it just doubles the amount of tracks we get in MK games.

Neifirst

Kinda off topic but has any of the DLC ever been discounted? Wondering if I should just go ahead and buy it.

It's never been discounted, but it's only $11.99 for 16 tracks (8 new / 8 re-imagined). 50% more tracks at that price is a steal, IMO. Buy it!

I loved Yoshi Valley in 64 but Toad's Turnpike not so much. However, the Mario Kart 8 versions are amazing.

Agreed. Toad's turnpike is unrecognizable, it went from a dull, claustrophobic, depressing track to one of the coolest tracks ever.

MK8 tracks in general are simply incredible, especially with the DLC. I would buy the shit out of more DLC packs even if they only included classic tracks reworked like that, including the ones that stayed MK7-only, especially Maple Treeway, Daisy Cruiser and Mushroom Gorge.

Chastten

Banned
I loved Yoshi Valley in 64 but Toad's Turnpike not so much. However, the Mario Kart 8 versions are amazing. Yoshi's Valley is my favorite track along the SNES Rainbow Road remake and the new Toad's Turnpike is so much better than the original that i actually like it now.

I loved Toad's Turnpike for the fact that it was different from anything else at the time. It was the only nighttime track, the only track that had non-animal stuff occuyping the roads, and I have so many great memories crashing my friends into busses and stuff while playing the game in 4 player mode. :p

nkarafo

I loved Toad's Turnpike for the fact that it was different from anything else at the time. It was the only nighttime track, the only track that had non-animal stuff occuyping the roads
Yeah, i do agree that it had a nice atmosphere. But the boxy vehicles and overall geometry and the fact that it looked the same through it's whole duration, with no variation in track detail, sight seeing, etc, made it one of the least interesting tracks in terms of visuals for me. The music and gameplay was good though.

Top Bottom