• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Game Room (CGR / CGR Undertow) leaves Youtube because of Content ID issues

jett

D-Member
That really sucks, but thanks for the heads up.

Fuck you youtube! It really seems like each day it only gets worse.

As big of a deal as this is and how troubling a precedent this can be for people trying to do video reviews and whatnot, let's be real here: YouTube probably built themselves more off of funny cat videos and Rickroll than guys playing games.

Maybe. On the other hand, the most popular channel in the history of YouTube is a guy playing video games, however apocalyptically terrible that particular channel may be.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Why does Google keep getting worse and worse when it comes to Youtube management?

isn't this the kind of thing gaf gets upset about? oh no wait it's videos not writing, I forgot, free pass

Except CGR is actually decent and not sensationalist.

ibtV2moE02GfvK.gif

NOW it's fucking personal. More big channels need to leave.

Lol that gif was basically my reaction.

isn't this the kind of thing gaf gets upset about? oh no wait it's videos not writing, I forgot, free pass

Is also funny because the first thing they say is that they reviewing games send by the publishers that are quite happy about it.

---

Hope the Youtube situation gets resolved.

Jamix012

Youtube is breeding it's own competitor, how fucking idiotic. Someone will rise from the ashes and while youtube will not fade into irrelevancy a sizeable chunk of their revenue stream will fade.

injurai

Banned
The muscle youtube flexes is just unacceptable.

Amazon needs to come up with a competing services that instead of just acting as a dumping ground for shit and monetization. It would be a PaaS (platform as a service) to serve as a foundational infrastructure to set up video content.

Hell, Microsoft should create it under their windows azure initiative. The amount self-serving monitization that Youtube pulls out of it's content creators is juts appalling. To see livelihoods affected like this is really sad. I don't give a shit about a lot of the content that is affected, but I do care about people. CGR is a personal loss, and it only serves to bring awareness to me of how many other people will be suffering in a similar way. SMH.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Good, I am glad Mark is taking a stand and taking his penitently legal business elsewhere, I hope see more of this because that means Google doesn't get away with this, these people leave, Google loses money.

SmithnCo

Nooooo :(

Hopefully they can get everything sorted out soon.

And I wouldn't mind them dropping Youtube altogether if they keep this crap up.

UberTag

This seems kind of silly that these guys will just go start their own websites and get money for playing games from ad hits there.

How are publishers gaining any benefit from this? Are they going to send cease & desists to classicgameroom.com and similar sites now if they carry on as they have in the past and continue to profit from streaming their content? Or are they just going to send them free copies of stuff to review? This is all just a big clusterfuck.

Madness

Mark handled this admirably. If Youtube doesn't want them then fuck Youtube. Everyone should do this instead of desperately clinging on. That would send a much bigger impact as gaming videos are a huge part of Youtube. Every time I access the site when I'm logged out then all I see is Minecraft, Slender and Dota stuff.

I highly doubt it will impact YouTube if at all. Don't get me wrong, they drive a lot of traffic to the site, but it's so large and integral to a lot of daily users, it won't make a big change. 80% of traffic to youtube comes from outside the US now, and it's built into almost every Android/Google smartphone.

You have to remember, even if you are logged out, they base a lot of videos you see due to region. It's why I see a bunch of Canadian stuff as opposed to my cousins in the states.

Most would rather deal with the content regulations and stay on youtube then to try and leave, as bad as it is.

You know with all this bullshit that YouTube been giving to these guys, this may finally be the chance for vimeo to become relevant by welcoming all these guys with open arms.

Xater

A lot of the channels I like are affected. If they leave so do I. They are basically my reason to visit Youtube daily. This is bullshit.

You know with all this bullshit that YouTube been giving to these guys, this may finally be the chance for vimeo to become relevant by welcoming all these guys with open arms.

If Vimeo would allow video games a lot of people might have left already.

Why you do this to me Youtube? Why?

Anyway, just signed up on CGRs website. I really love what Mark does with it, so while I'm upset with this situation at least we can still get CGR.

Wow, CCG is about half the reason I regularly visit YouTube (the other half being AVGN). Good to know they've moved elsewhere.

This seems kind of silly that these guys will just go start their own websites and get money for playing games from ad hits there.

How are publishers gaining any benefit from this? Are they going to send cease & desists to classicgameroom.com and similar sites now if they carry on as they have in the past and continue to profit from streaming their content?
The thing is that, thanks to the DMCA, they always could. The problem is that the YouTube specific Content ID system, which automatically diverts ad revenue to people who claim that the video contains stuff they own, and yesterday it got amped up and a whole shitload of claims were made, large quantities of which were blatant bullshit.

i'm curious if AVGN will be affected. haven't heard anything from his end.

AVGN will probably switch back to a "if you want to see episodes first, go to GameTrailers/ScrewAttack/whatever" model. Indeed, he's probably one of the safer YouTubers out there, thanks to his presence on GameTrailers.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Damn, that's awful. He's one of my favorite people on YouTube, what's going on here is absurd. Shit is out of control.

KingFire

Banned
Very sad situation here... CGR is big enough that they probably will have some success on their own site and with this DailyMotion player, but for smaller people, this is probably the end, isn't it, unless something is done. Protecting copyright is one thing, destroying the ability of people to post video reviews, even videos that use content sent to CGR by publishers no less, is quite another.

They can still post reviews; they can't monetize though.

Now is the time for Twitch to get into this game if they ever had any thought of doing it and if they have the resources to do it.

I see everyone is asking for a youtube alternative to pop up. Could youtube have told the publishers to simply screw off and kept doing what they were doing? Was this just them giving into publisher demands or is this something that all other sites will have to face eventually(Looking at Twitch)? Kinda confused here.

Perkel

Banned
If Mats Chat is next i am booking fly to US to Youtube headquaters and i will fucking shout and yell at their workers. Pitchforks and torches and all that shit.

Fucking scumbags.

;/

Dang why him of all people

Get one of those other guys who just play mainstream games like COD and Minecraft all day while swearing and listening to Dubstep and occasionally play a real game only because it is getting publicity not because they actually like the series!

ArGHH!!!!!!!!!

;_;
Edit: Signed up will support him no matter what

RaikuHebi

Banned
I see everyone is asking for a youtube alternative to pop up. Could youtube have told the publishers to simply screw off and kept doing what they were doing? Was this just them giving into publisher demands or is this something that all other sites will have to face eventually(Looking at Twitch)? Kinda confused here.
There will always be free sites. This is the internet. Information sans frontieres.

Why are people saying this? Youtube was built by people posting funny pet videos and so on, long before anyone considered it a valid way to make money.

BUILT refers to the current state of YouTube (ie, what made it what it is NOW). It may have got it's start from pet videos but it didn't stop there.

I love Classic Game Room, I watch his reviews for games I never intend to play. I'll follow him to his own site. YouTube is gushing blood from the feet.

Top Bottom