• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Game Room (CGR / CGR Undertow) leaves Youtube because of Content ID issues

Man, CGR is the shit! Mark was one of the first youtubers I had watched and probably one of the few I still do.

How will he make any more money though? I'm pretty sure a large amount of his earnings come from YouTube. I'm pretty sure he has employees too, which might be on payroll.

There will always be free sites. This is the internet. Information sans frontieres.

Yeah, I understand that I don't understand why Google gave into publisher demands when they were already making money off these people's videos. was it greed on their part or fear of some legal action from publishers?

I see everyone is asking for a youtube alternative to pop up. Could youtube have told the publishers to simply screw off and kept doing what they were doing? Was this just them giving into publisher demands or is this something that all other sites will have to face eventually(Looking at Twitch)? Kinda confused here.

Twitch already has the appropriate deals in place to protect everyone and keep the game publishers happy. No one is getting in trouble on Twitch. All publishers have nuke buttons for any stream that plays their game, but they aren't used unless someone is streaming the game before street date. Also, even if your channel were to get taken down like this, there's a fucking human being from Twitch that will review the shit instead of everything being totally automated like YouTube.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Man, CGR is the shit! Mark was one of the first youtubers I had watched and probably one of the few I still do.

How will he make any more money though? I'm pretty sure a large amount of his earnings come from YouTube. I'm pretty sure he has employees too, which might be on payroll.
He's obviously well-known enough to do his own thing. Hopefully he'll earn more money than he does now and the publishers n Google/YT can go fuck themselves.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If Mats Chat is next i am booking fly to US to Youtube headquaters and i will fucking shout and yell at their workers. Pitchforks and torches and all that shit.

Fucking scumbags.

;/

Matt Chat exists because of donations and not ads so that should be safe.

jett

D-Member
The thing is that, thanks to the DMCA, they always could. The problem is that the YouTube specific Content ID system, which automatically diverts ad revenue to people who claim that the video contains stuff they own, and yesterday it got amped up and a whole shitload of claims were made, large quantities of which were blatant bullshit.

AVGN will probably switch back to a "if you want to see episodes first, go to GameTrailers/ScrewAttack/whatever" model. Indeed, he's probably one of the safer YouTubers out there, thanks to his presence on GameTrailers.

AVGN hasn't posted anything on Gametrailers in over a year, I think.

injurai

Banned
Twitch already has the appropriate deals in place to protect everyone and keep the game publishers happy. No one is getting in trouble on Twitch. All publishers have nuke buttons for any stream that plays their game, but they aren't used unless someone is streaming the game before street date. Also, even if your channel were to get taken down like this, there's a fucking human being from Twitch that will review the shit instead of everything being totally automated like YouTube.

It's all that automation that gets pumped into youtube that really destroyed the community and the platform in general.

GrayFoxPL

Oh it's on now.

ibvETM9udWHh2R.gif

mavs

Yeah, I understand that I don't understand why Google gave into publisher demands when they were already making money off these people's videos. was it greed on their part or fear of some legal action from publishers?

This system has a disproportionate effect on gaming channels because of who is making ad money in the end, but game publishers were probably not the parties that prompted the change. It's more likely fallout from the Viacom suit, and possibly also what Youtube thinks they need to do to make money.

As big of a deal as this is and how troubling a precedent this can be for people trying to do video reviews and whatnot, let's be real here: YouTube probably built themselves more off of funny cat videos and Rickroll than guys playing games.

I know what you mean. But a portion of YouTube is towards gaming. I didn't mean YouTube relies solely on gaming channels. Sorry.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was already scared by this in the other thread but now it really happened... This is terrible.

Roshin

Keep going in this direction and YT will end up with purely commercial content, trailers, ads, etc. The home shopping channel of the internets.

JP

CGR is one of the only games things that I watch. Can't believe they're leaving YouTube, what a waste. I wonder if this YouTube crap is the reason it want included for streaming at the PS4 launch?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Good deal. Smart man. Advertise your stuff on YouTube and generate ad money there, send people to your own site for additional revenue and control.

Good deal. Smart man. Advertise your stuff on YouTube and generate ad money there, send people to your own site for additional revenue and control.

It really is a smart play. Since the redirect videos have nothing in them that could be flagged, they can be immediately monetized if I'm not mistaken. YouTube's gaming community is gonna be loaded with redirect vids now haha.

Majukun

They can still post reviews; they can't monetize though.

so they can still do their job,but can't get money for that.

oh that's reassuring

that's probably the model we are going to see if this shit isn't fixed..already many uploader striked by copyright clames for other kind of media (like amv) are doing that..probably the videogame part of youtube is going to join until a realistic alternative of youtube doesn't appear

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not sure why everybody is NOing all over the place, CGR looks to be just fine, just on another video service now.

Not sure why everybody is NOing all over the place, CGR looks to be just fine, just on another video service now.

I found CGR when I was searching for gameplay videos of some oscure old game. I think many found Mark that way. Leaving YT is the same as leaving Steam as a game developer or publisher. You can survive or being successful but you are losing a huge amount of mindshare.

Top Bottom