• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CliffyB on Saint’s Row: “Lose the gimps and dildos” to beat GTA

Eusis

That's like saying sauce, cheese and toppings do Pizza a disservice.
It's probably more like saying that A topping, like anchovies or whatever, does the pizza a disservice. Problem is he's saying to throw all the toppings off in favor of a new set of them, when the anchovies alone can be avoided on the next pizza.

Trey

Out of all the over-the-top shit in SR, he singles out the random, hardly necessary dildo? Odds are that if you're caught using the Penetrator in game, you were actively attempting to use it. That says more about you than the game.

GolazoDan

The gimps in SR3 added to the absurdity of the mission. It was brilliant. Oh and
CHARIOTS EXPLODING FOR NO REASON.

Pooya

Then again, there was a dildo in San Andreas.

but was it focus of the game in marketing? I don't really remember right now.

with Saints Row 3 though it was different, I never tried the game even because their message around the product pre release was ridiculous, disgusting even just like the recent Dead Island torso stuff, just not interested and not looking back now even though it might be best game ever, I imagine it puts off quite a few people like Cliff says. I see that that might actually appeal to someone else, no one thing fits all I guess.

bengraven

He has a great point.

Volition can do a more mature atmosphere. They've done it in the past. Give SR4 a more mature atmosphere as they did with Guerrilla...or just do Guerilla 2...and you could beat GTA now.

I agree with this guy, whoever he is. My wifes brother played the game when bunch of other people watched, and it was just embarrassing. Just jumping through the windshield when stealing cars was also pretty stupid...

SmokyDave

Couldn't agree more. I'm not 16 anymore, there's nothing funny about it.

If you didn't laugh when Pierce kept tapping the player on the shoulder with it during the cutscene in Kinzie's lair, you're dead inside. If that's 'maturity', you can keep it.

FyreWulff

but was it focus of the game in marketing? I don't really remember right now.

with Saints Row 3 though it was different, I never tried the game even because their message around the product pre release was ridiculous, disgusting even just like the recent Dead Island torso stuff, just not interested and not looking back now even though it might be best game ever, I imagine it puts off quite a few people like Cliff says.

Then don't buy the game and vote with your wallet. Not every game is going to be compatible with you.

Kacho

I agree that they should drop the dildo stuff. It's tacky and really not that funny.

I do not agree about turning it into a Michael Mann type story/setting.

Keep the charm and goofiness. Drop the sophomoric attempts at humor and the crudness.

NotLiquid

Dildos ain't the problem with Saints Row. Losing the ability to justify these things' existence and be able to give the fun in good measures instead of all the damn time with no context took away all of the simple pleasures of Saints Row 2 and made Saints Row 3 too much.

The difference is that the Dildo in SA you actually have to seek out and hunt down to get and isn't a selling point.

SR3? It was marketed in every single video and it's a reason i never bought SR3. I like the idea of how ridiculous the series is but gimps, giant dildo bats? That's not the kind of shit that is fun to me. That kind of shit makes me feel embarrassed that i am a gamer.

The dildo physics are, reassuringly, a benchmark in gaming. Once you wind up a penetrator...it's like your first time at a shooting range. HmmmhhMMMMM.

Fully agree with Cliffy on this one.

Saint's Row 1 had just enough craziness and over the topness to make it stand out.

Adding giant dildos and other high school level shit just made it seem like they're trying too hard to be funny.

Eusis

I agree with this guy, whoever he is. My wifes brother played the game when bunch of other people watched, and it was just embarrassing. Just jumping through the windshield when stealing cars was also pretty stupid...
He played a key role in almost all of Epic's games, such as Unreal and Gears of War.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The novelty of the series comes from the fact it's essentially GTA with the ridiculousness, over-the-top nature and general stupidity turned up to 11. I don't think it would be wise for Saint's Row to ditch the niche its identity has carved for itself.

Edificio.jpg

Coins

Banned
The difference is that the Dildo in SA you actually have to seek out and hunt down to get and isn't a selling point.

SR3? It was marketed in every single video and it's a reason i never bought SR3. I like the idea of how ridiculous the series is but gimps, giant dildo bats? That's not the kind of shit that is fun to me. That kind of shit makes me feel embarrassed that i am a gamer.

You're in the minority. Most people loved SR3 because of its stupid humor and moronic story. If you're embarrassed to be a gamer because of one game then I suggest you leave all media alone because every medium has some offerings that pander to our immature sides that sell like gangbusters.

why would be be embarrassed? maybe I'm wrong, but there aren't many, if any missions where you're forced to use a dildo. it's an optional weapon and an awesome one at that.

bengraven

This is one of the reasons, incidentally, that I didn't get far in Saint's Row.

The comedy is really really juvenile and I know that's the point - to make shit "funny and awesome" instead of serious, but maybe if the writing and design was STRONGER...then maybe we'd have a really great game on our hands.

Bottom line: it feels like a poorly scripted GTA parody. If they can move beyond the parody and stop trying to compete with GTA...they might actually be able to compete with GTA.

Mihos

Gold Member
I actually agree with him. But then again my house is always crawling with kids, in-laws, and neighbors and it has actually been called 'that game with the dildo' more than once. From people outside looking in, they pretty much think that is what all games are about at this point.

Of course, Bayonetta probably got the most face palms.

megalowho

And Bulletstorm needed to lose the dicktits and assmaggot to beat, well, to be appealing to folks like me. Talk about juvenile shit holding back good games.

Riposte

This instinct is embarrassing in itself.

Eusis

You're in the minority. Most people loved SR3 because of its stupid humor and moronic story. If you're embarrassed to be a gamer because of one game then I suggest you leave all media alone because every medium has some offerings that pander to our immature sides that sell like gangbusters.
It IS probable (or so I hope) that it was less "lol dildos" and more clever writing at times and some of the absolutely absurd sequences, like the wrestling match. Even if maybe it wasn't consciously recognized due to the dildos being a more prominent symbol here.

ZoddGutts

The moment you fine yourself embarrassed to play a game in front of someone else, is the moment you should realized your too old to play video games anymore.

Kolgar

Oh, come off it. I thought the dildos were amazing fun. Smacking down hordes of baddies with a big rubbery one was just too good.

Look, the Saints Row team isn't going to beat GTA by being GTA. They have to be their own thing. And I like what they're doing.

Also, worried about "industry perceptions"? Hate to break it to you, Cliff, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

Edit: Forgot to say that The Third was my first Saints Row game--and it was one of the freshest and most enjoyable games I've played in years.

Cartman86

Banned
Only because you wear your dad's suit, doesn't make you an adult.
If you're a grown ass man and you're embarassed by the depiction of a dildo.. damn.

And if the medium perception as to be this superficial and shallow, i don't even give a fuck.
I welcome more maturity in the medium, but not faux bullshit and self serious pathetic shit like we've seen a lot this generation, just to act serious.

So what constitutes a genuine grievance oh great one? When and how should one express an opinion that contains real sincerity in your mind?

The moment you fine yourself embarrassed to play a game in front of someone else, is the moment you should realized your too old to play video games anymore.

You totally get it! Good job!

Valnen

It's probably more like saying that A topping, like anchovies or whatever, does the pizza a disservice. Problem is he's saying to throw all the toppings off in favor of a new set of them, when the anchovies alone can be avoided on the next pizza.

No. The whole point of Saints Row is that it's pretty immature. Removing something because it's immature is against the point of the game.

Tiu Neo

The craziness and silliness is part of what makes SR2 and 3 a lot better than GTA4 (the gameplay, as he said, is the other), keep it.

This is one of the reasons, incidentally, that I didn't get far in Saint's Row.

The comedy is really really juvenile and I know that's the point - to make shit "funny and awesome" instead of serious, but maybe if the writing and design was STRONGER...then maybe we'd have a really great game on our hands.

Bottom line: it feels like a poorly scripted GTA parody. If they can move beyond the parody and stop trying to compete with GTA...they might actually be able to compete with GTA.

sucks for you. the gameplay is some of the best in a sandbox title only rivalled by just cause 2.

DaBuddaDa

Reducing the entirety of the writing, story and over-the-top nature of Saints Row The Third to "dildos ew how immature" sounds like it's coming from people who never actually played Saints Row The Third. It's not Volition's fault you're choosing to focus on dildos. You're doing it. You're the one focusing on the dildos. Saints Row really doesn't.

Eusis

I think Star Ocean 4 could make 12 year olds decide they're too old to play video games (maybe, we ARE still young enough to not realize how embarrassingly bad that can be). Point is that sometimes these games really do cross a line, though I'm guessing a good chunk you'd want to be careful about the company around while you play anyway.
It's not Volition's fault you're choosing to focus on dildos.
Can be THQ's though!

Lain

Not only does he speak against the dildo, but also against the purple suits?
Cliff, you're wrong, wrong, wrong.

UrbanRats

What the fuck? Now i begin to understand how we got GTA4.

The Housers have all the DVD box sets and they're not afraid to use them.

Haven't you read how Dan Houser doesn't watch anything because he's afraid of copycatting stuff? Must be all coincidences.

javac

Oh, fuck that. Just play GTA if you want somber.

My missus LOVED Saints Row 3. She's so fucking cool, I'm a lucky guy.

My wife's so immature, she leaves the room in tears whenever she sees a dildo in saints row.

I don't have a wife.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Reducing the entirety of the writing, story and over-the-top nature of Saints Row The Third to "dildos lol" sounds like it's coming from people who never actually played Saints Row The Third. It's not Volition's fault you're choosing to focus on dildos. You're doing it.

To be fair the dildo in SR3 is pretty much used as a "dildos lol" joke.

Top Bottom