• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CliffyB on Saint’s Row: “Lose the gimps and dildos” to beat GTA

Party of the overall charm and amazingness of SR3 IS the dildo and other things that are there that no other games will go near. There is no limit to what you'll see. When did the freaking video games industry get snooty?

Say this to Matt Stone and Try Parker, Cliffy.

kylej

Banned
I'd rather have a "non-gamer" watch me slap people around with a dildo than slice open someones chest with a chainsaw gun or crush their skull with my foot as they're crawling on the ground.

El-Suave

The dildos, running around naked etc. were largely optional, they could focus less on that stuff while marketing the game, but loosing it all would be a pity.
And most of the people I know would shake their head just as much if they walked in on me chainsawing a guy in Gears or ripping a human head off in God of War. That is just as offensive as the dildos are.

Jamie OD

But what if Saints Row wants to be "that game with the dildo." If GTA is the game that raises the bar then Saints Row is the game that grabs the bar, holds it over its crotch and yells "look at the size of this thing!"

Alfredo

I didn't really like the dildo bat either, but I don't think they should remove that kinda stuff from the game. The dildo was barely in the game anyway. It was in one cutscene and was an optional weapon. That's it.

I love the current direction for GTA, but the last thing I want Saints Row to become is another GTA.

The creative lead of Gears of War calling something immature....

Also the idea that Saints needs to "beat" GTA just seems out of touch and dumb.

Joe White

I agree, the gimps and dildos did the humour in Saints Row The Third a disservice.

I think the problem was, that they used gimps and dildos to promote the game and had scenarios that forced player to use dildo as an weapon. That kind of humor feels... well, forced and would work better by just giving player possibility of discovery; "oh, there is a dildo in the table", "hey, you can wield it as a weapon". Similar to the fish in Sleeping Dogs.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I can understand wanting to change the perception of the industry. But turning SR into GTA isn't going to stop Roger Ebert from looking down his nose at video games.

Given the presence of the giant dildo at his own wedding, this feels a little like glass houses, too.

Please do the exact opposite of everything Cliffy B just said, Volition. I want a button mapped exclusively to a magical power that causes massive purple dildos to rain from the sky upon an enemy like a meteor shower.
I am cackling like the Wicked Witch of the West right now.

Agreed 100%. Lucky I have a normal wife :)

The hell lol?

How insulting. So if a person walks in on somebody playing a game with a guy beating people with giant dildos and goes "Wtf is this?", they're not normal?

My wife doesn't play games at all and I know for a fact if I was doing that and she walked in and saw that, that would be her reaction.

UrbanRats

To be fair the dildo in SR3 is pretty much used as a "dildos lol" joke.

Yeah, plenty of jokes like those in GTA (even GTA4).
I'm not even trying to say that SR3 has clever humor, it does not, but in a landscape of immature games (90% of them), Saint's Row 3 has made of its immaturity its flagship.
I would be more embarassed to be seen playing Heavy Rain, which is emotionally immature crap, painted as some kind of deep adult drama, to be taken seriously.

DaBuddaDa

At least Deep Silver isn't going to change anything:

DTiCGTX.gif

bengraven

sucks for you. the gameplay is some of the best in a sandbox title only rivalled by just cause 2.

I'm fine with that. I'm already full up on sandbox games at the moment, but I may try SR3 someday. It's installed and sitting on my desktop ready to be clicked, but I just keep clicking other things that I find more enjoyable.

I can vouch for this, I was too embarassed to play this gaudy trash in front of my SO. It didn't help that I chose to run around naked though. :p

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The complaint about maturity seems like its coming from a place of immaturity though. Is it surprising that game designers design what they know? Cliff said himself he had a dildo at his wedding photo booth thing.

I don't know if heat/training day is the right model but you can't expect Shakespeare out of Stephanie Meyer, can you?

Coxswain

Personally, I'd rather prefer for it keep the dildo (not so much the object in itself, but the lack of gravitas it stands for) and continue to fail to "beat" GTA.

I agree. The mechanics behind GTA/SR style open world games are inherently ridiculous and explicitly embracing that improves the experience.

Aping the super-serious, hyper-tense tone of a Michael Mann movie without considering how to make the mechanics of the game support that tone (eg. It almost certainly would no longer be an open-world game by the time it fit) just reeks of the unfortunate and all-too-common video game trend of trying to become 'mature' by adopting the most superficial aspects of more respected forms of media. It's a half-step removed from the Blood, Bullets, Boobs kind of 'mature' game, and I think ultimately does more to harm perception of the industry than any amount of silly, irreverent stuff ever could.

Hanmik

that game with the Dildo had one of the most amazing/cool/fucking great/badass scenes in videogames ever... when the scene played and that Kaney West song played.. I forgot the game had a purple dildo.

GamerSoul

Hah ok, man. You know you don't have to use the dildo right? I mean there are other choices for melee weapons so if your using the Penetrator you damn well want to use it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, plenty of jokes like those in GTA (even GTA4).
I'm not even trying to say that SR3 has clever humor, it does not, but in a landscape of immature games (90% of them), Saint's Row 3 has made of its immaturity its flagship.
I would be more embarassed to be seen playing Heavy Rain, which is emotionally immature crap, painted as some kind of deep adult drama, to be taken seriously.

I agree, and I do enjoy it for that, I'm just saying that they're not not above the "dildos lol" joke, when most of their humour were pretty much at that level. It's just that they're capable of creating ridiculous scenarios with those jokes which raises them up a notch.

pa22word

He's right. I've always held the opinion that SR is good despite the puerile bullshit, but if it wants to transcend that plateau then it needs to stop pandering to 15 year old teenage boys who giggle every time they hear words like "penis" or "vagina".

UrbanRats

Eh, this sounds like the old sexual=nono violent=it'sjustgamesman!
Seriously stuff like Army of Two or Gears of War and what have you, are as far from maturity as it gets, but a dildo is bringer of doom?

I understand that SR fans love the sense of humor in the game but that doesn't mean that Cliffy is wrong. IF (and that's a big IF) they wanted to "beat" GTA, then going with a gritty story with less silly aspects would be the way to do it.

TxdoHawk

so basically get rid of saints row's personality, huh.

Pretty much. The reason SR3 was so good was because some killjoy wasn't sitting around saying "guys, don't put X in this game." Take that away, and you turn Saint's Row into another generic open-world almost-GTA. No thanks.

J-Rod

The guy who had a dildo on display at his wedding reception (cringe) and made gears of war is calling something immature? Give me a break.

sflufan

Banned
This is coming from a man whose signature project included:

- a gun with a chainsaw
- a terrible stereotype of a black athlete
- characters that looked like walking steroid advertisements
- hyperviolent execution moves
- laughable attempts at conveying emotional content

And I can go on. I'll stick with the gimps and purple dildos, thank you.

UrbanRats

I understand that SR fans love the sense of humor in the game but that doesn't mean that Cliffy is wrong. IF (and that's a big IF) they wanted to "beat" GTA, then going with a gritty story with less silly aspects would be the way to do it.

Explain this to me, please.
Mafia 2 didn't even came close and that had a (albeit shitty) serious story and grounded world.
Saint's Row 3, on the other hand, sold 5.5 million copies, which is a very good number.

Saint's Row will never do GTAs' numbers, period.
San Andreas sold like crazy and it was the most absurd GTA yet.

- a gun with a chainsaw

LOOK AT ALL DAT JUICE!

I understand his point.

But, at the same time I don't think Volition was aiming for the same tone as GTAIV. I believe Volition wanted to make a crazy game and at the same time it had great mechanics. I think the closest thing to GTA is sleeping dogs, I haven't finished it, does the game get SR crazy at some point?

- a gun with a chainsaw

How does this make his argument any less valid?

Top Bottom