• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clinton campaign backs intelligence briefing for electors before Dec 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Politico is reporting that electors are asking for a briefing regarding Trump's ties to Russia before their vote in January.

Hillary Clinton’s top political adviser John Podesta said the campaign is supporting an effort by members of the Electoral College to request an intelligence briefing on foreign intervention in the presidential election.

“The bipartisan electors' letter raises very grave issues involving our national security,” Podesta said in a statement Monday. “Electors have a solemn responsibility under the Constitution and we support their efforts to have their questions addressed.”

Lock if old.

Podesta’s statement follows an open letter from 10 presidential electors including Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi’s daughter Christine — requesting an intelligence briefing ahead of the Dec. 19 vote of the Electoral College.

Any Republicans?

joe2187

Banned
So were going full on "Russia hacked the election" now?

Didn't we all know this months and months ago?

Didnt Trump himself invite it publically?

RPGCrazied

Do not let Trump become President. Give it to another Republican if Hillary is a no go. Any other would be fine but Pence or Cruz.

Do not let Trump become President. Give it to another Republican if Hillary is a no go. Any other would be fine but Pence or Cruz.

I'm certainly no expert on US politics, but if Trump can't have the job, surely it defaults to Pence as Vice President? (At least, as the republican option).

Futureman

unless we uncover emails or some hard proof that shows Trump was asking for hacking/interference I doubt anything will come of this.

Russia must have also hacked Hillary Clinton scheduling app into not visiting Wisconsin a single time in the campaign. Or had her focus on Arizona in the last week of the election instead of Penn and Michigan.

If the EV cannot make a choice -- and lets be honest here THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN at this point democrats who believe it are literally believing in magic -- then the new 2017 house of representatives will choose the President and VP, and they will stick with Trump and Pence.

Vena

Sorry for my ignorance but would this solve/mean/do for the future?

Republican electors may see reason to believe that Trump was/is a compromised candidate and vote for a different Republican candidate (such as Kasich). If they do so and prevent Trump from reaching 270 Electoral Votes, he does not become an elected president.

The vote then moves from the Electoral College to Congress, where the parties can vote for any candidate who received Electoral Votes.

As it is unlikely for a Republican to vote for Clinton, there is little chance that Hillary will be elected but there is a decent chance that Congress will simply choose to not elect Trump and elect a more preferred Republican that also received Electoral votes. Democrats may even try to get bipartisan support from more centrist Republicans to completely torpedo Trump's chances, and Republicans and Democrats may settle on a much less insane candidate.

ZOONAMI

I'm certainly no expert on US politics, but if Trump can't have the job, surely it defaults to Pence as Vice President? (At least, as the republican option).

If Russian influence is deemed pervasive enough to give the election to trump we should give the presidency to the guy on the same ticket? Pence wasn't an optional part of voting for Trump. Any Russian influence/hacking de facto applies to pence.

I'm kinda surprised she's still got a "team". Isn't she basically just unemployed now? What does her campaign team do? Typically in the UK, when a politician loses or gets the sack, the "team" have their bags packed by lunch, trying desperately to get a job on a team with someone who's actually doing something.

Neoweee

I'm kinda surprised she's still got a "team". Isn't she basically just unemployed now? What does her campaign team do? Typically in the UK, when a politician loses or gets the sack, the "team" have their bags packed by lunch, trying desperately to get a job on a team with someone who's actually doing something.

They have. This is a former member, one of the people who was hacked.

kess

Huh, I wasn't expecting this to get legs, especially after the election.

It would be hilarious if Trump tweets out something stupid about the electoral college

If enough electors decide not to vote for trump, he can not be president.

I hate the idea of Trump being President, but if the electoral college decides to elect somebody else, his supporters are going to go full-scale rebellion. They don't care if Russia influenced the vote, and they'd probably never hear about it since their preferred news sources would just frame it as "election stolen from Trump," but whatever the case, you'd have a potential Civil War on your hands and a full-fledged Constitutional crisis. It's not going to happen.

52351995.jpg

I hate the idea of Trump being President, but if the electoral college decides to elect somebody else, his supporters are going to go full-scale rebellion. They don't care if Russia influenced the vote, and they'd probably never hear about it since their preferred news sources would just frame it as "election stolen from Trump," but whatever the case, you'd have a potential Civil War on your hands and a full-fledged Constitutional crisis. It's not going to happen.

"Respect the process"

RPGCrazied

There is probably already a civil war brewing if Trump becomes President.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

There's no Constitutional crisis in the case of electors voting for someone else besides who their state voted for, and, if no majority reached by all electors, the US Congress deciding the President and Vice President.

In fact, it's clearly outlined in the Constitution.

IMO, this is less about "overturning the election" and more about making the Russian fuckery known. That's what needs to go on the footnote in this election and what people need to remember so it doesn't happen again in future elections.

7Th

The effects of violent riots or even insurrection from Trump supporters shouldn't be any worse than the effects of a Trump presidency.

Juicy Bob

I understand all the concerns about what would happen if they rebel and don't elect Trump and even the possibility of it happening still seems totally unbelivable to begin with.

And yet, I can't help to wonder. If you were ever going to 'activate' the Electoral College to prevent a potentially highly dangerous candidate from assuming the highest office in the land - surely now is it?

But, why are we so afraid of this? Do you really think 4 years worth of a Trump-led, Trump-appointed cabinet don't have the same ramifications of a potential uprising?

Let's throw out the notion that our country was ever unified within the last decade or so. The ideological differences between a metropolitan and rural area are already immense. Trump's false promises and rallying cries for the rural population is only going to continue to drive and even accelerate the ideological wedge in between this country.

Oppressed groups already run the risk of losing most of the rights they've gained throughout the years, so rather than cozying up with our stuffed animals and sucking our thumbs, we should be doing everything that we can to ensure that this man is not elected.

pigeon

Banned

Those things are already pretty plausible. The question is who's sitting on top of the national security apparatus when they happen.

WedgeX

Banned
unless we uncover emails or some hard proof that shows Trump was asking for hacking/interference I doubt anything will come of this.

Were you not paying attention?

“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” Mr. Trump said during a news conference here in an apparent reference to Mrs. Clinton’s deleted emails. “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.”

Lets be honest here, this won't solve anything. Trump is going to get elected and USA will have to bathe in the swamp of its own making for a couple years

digdug2k

I love how with Trump (or any GOP leadership) anything less than 100% undeniable proof isn't enough (and even then its debateable if they'd actually care) but we just spent literally an entire year and millions of dollars trying to find an example of pay-to-play for Clinton, found nothing, and they still rejected her because "I just can't trust someone who's under so many investigations".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom