• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CM Punk to undergo back surgery on Wednesday; UFC debut delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Punk pls.

MMAfighting.com said:
CM Punk's UFC debut has been delayed.

The former WWE champion turned MMA fighter is scheduled to undergo back surgery in Chicago on Wednesday due to a herniated disc, MMAFighting.com has learned.

Punk, née Phil Brooks, has been battling a lingering back injury from his years as a professional wrestler. Recently, the injury worsened.

"My back has always bugged me," Punk told MMAFighting.com. "Figured it was just wrestling sh*t. Turns out it was."

Punk's recovery post-surgery is expected to be four-to-six weeks so his intention is still to fight at least once in 2016.

MnEVGHZ.gif

It's odd. He wasn't supposed to fight until June at 199 or July at 200. If he just had the surgery and recovery is only a month, why would his debut have to be delayed? He should be healed in well-enough time to have a camp and fight in June or July.

Into

The core reason he left WWE was that he broke down, physically and mentally.

Oh sure he also got upset at Vince and Hunter and some sponsorship deal, but all of that stuff can be ironed out. The core of it all was that he was done.

Why then believe that he has some second life in the world of MMA is puzzling. His entire MMA career will be 2-3 fights at max before he hangs it up.

It's odd. He wasn't supposed to fight until June at 199 or July at 200. If he just had the surgery and recovery is only a month, why would his debut have to be delayed? He should be healed in well-enough time to have a camp and fight in June or July.

Probably Dana telling him not to rush it. Punk is money win or lose. But if he gets hurt during the damn fight, peace bye

I was thinking this too. Dana seemed to be leaning towards 199 so my first thought was "well, that's one way to push for 200."

It's not that surprising. He's old and outside of his physical prime, was never a great athlete, and MMA training camps wreck guys on the regular. He should really rethink this whole thing.

Bronx-Man

Banned
lol look at this asshole taking care of his health
It's just a bunch of neckbearded slobs upset that he's doing something he wants instead of listening to their shitty tweets and posts. He'll keep working the marks into a shoot like this even when he's in his 50's.

Nibiru

Banned
That is hilarious! I mean I feel bad he is hurt but seriously can he just retire from mma now? Brock was the real deal with a real wrestling pedigree and fought Mir right out of the gate. This CM Punk signing is just a sideshow.

The bigger problem for the ufc is that the more time passes the more it hurts the prospects for the amount of hype this fight can generate. Punk is not exactly a guy that stays in the public eye and we are getting further and further removed from his exit from the wwe when his profile was white hot. This could be a PPV dud in terms of buys if it doesn't happen soon.

Into

Dana and Lorenzo probably figure they could get a buyrate or two out of this guy. His age prevents him from having some sort of major run in MMA.

At this rate, if he loses his first fight. He is essentially done. Brock Lesnar was a NCAA champion and a legit athlete. CM Punk is a former indie trash wrestler who sported basketball shorts and Backstreet Boys haircut to entertain 14 people at the gas station.

jmdajr

Dana and Lorenzo probably figure they could get a buyrate or two out of this guy. His age prevents him from having some sort of major run in MMA.

At this rate, if he loses his first fight. He is essentially done. Brock Lesnar was a NCAA champion and a legit athlete. CM Punk is a former indie trash wrestler who sported basketball shorts and Backstreet Boys haircut to entertain 14 people at the gas station.

And Brock didn't destroy his body for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom