• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How big of a deal will CM Punk's first UFC fight be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never bought a UFC PPV and don't plan to. I am not interested in watching two people beat each other bloody.

My sense is that CM Punk is going to have to earn respect when he comes in and may get his ass kicked badly at first. Yet I might actually consider paying to see it. And that has to mean something - that a person like me, who has no interest in this sport at all, might change my mind for the right person.

Some UFC fights get really hyped - Rousey's last fight, the McGregor fight last week. How will CM Punk's debut compare, hype-wise?

OldWetHypsilophodon.0.gif

Depends on if it actually happens.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Point may be moot. You can sim in UFC2 and watch him get beat up all day if you like.

If it does happen, plenty of hype because wrestling marks are fools with their money, ensuring a big gate and PPV buys.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well maybe this thread is pointless then. Last I heard he was going to fight by the end of 2016.

Still might happen. Might. I just keep expecting something new to happen to keep it from being nailed down.

Paracelsus

UFC can go both ways, with spoonfed or "kryptonite" match-ups.

The only problem is Punk seems to suffer both: he ain't quick even though he slimmed down so I can't see him escaping a good hold, nor taking a beating.

Brock lesnar did the same exact thing already except he is immensely more impressive and popular, so look at how big a deal his was and cut it in half, at best.

Cagey

Banned
Brock lesnar did the same exact thing already except he is immensely more impressive and popular, so look at how big a deal his was and cut it in half, at best.

Brock Lesnar was a decorated amateur wrestling champion and an all-around athletic marvel.

CM Punk is a skinnyfat actor from a TV wrestling show.

Cut that half in half, at best.

Indelible

I'am a fan of his but will people really care once he actually fights? it has been over two years since he was in the WWE and he was never a huge draw to begin with.

number47

I have never bought a UFC PPV and don't plan to. I am not interested in watching two people beat each other bloody.

My sense is that CM Punk is going to have to earn respect when he comes in and may get his ass kicked badly at first. Yet I might actually consider paying to see it. And that has to mean something - that a person like me, who has no interest in this sport at all, might change my mind for the right person.

Some UFC fights get really hyped - Rousey's last fight, the McGregor fight last week. How will CM Punk's debut compare, hype-wise?
But why do you want to see Brooks "get his ass kicked"?

No one answers why. What makes him so special?

Why do you mention the fights by the fighters who lost?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

There's a lot of people who think CM Punk is an asshole and want to see him get beat up though. I'll give Punk credit he didn't need to give people the opportunity to see it potentially happen.

Takuan

He will do poorly against anyone who belongs in the UFC. The guy the UFC hand-picked turned out to be too good, so his back suddenly became injured and he probably won't be fighting that guy anymore.

He should fight Ronda.

I could see him losing to Ronda (before she her soul was took by Holly).

Parch

Dude is pushing 40. If it does go ahead I don't see it going too well.
How much MMA training does he have? Most of the UFC fighters have trained daily for years. Actual MMA experience is a big factor.
They're going to have to match him up with a real chump just to give him a chance, and he'll still probably get destroyed.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Also worth noting very, very few of the people who watched Brock's MMA fights were watching wrestling before, during or after. His WWF career had nothing to do with his MMA success, the fact he's a freak of nature boss looking motherfucker was the reason he cleaned up at the box office. And when he went back to wrestling, buyrates didn't improve for shit.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Brock was an NCAA Div 1 champ. Hey Phil is a 37 year old, injury riddled, champ of nothing. He's got no combat background. Brock was in his early 30s at least when he fought, and didn't have half the bad bumps Hey Phil has had.

Punk has no business in the ring, he's not going to do well.

Hype is gonna be super low. Punk was white hot as he exited the WWE but years have passed since that point. Marks will care, but most people don't care as much at this point as they cared sometime in the past.

hoy

Banned
don't see how he won't get his ass beat unless they fix his fight with another newbie. even with freak athletes there is only so much you can do to compete in a sport and your learning is delayed at his age. look at all the other stars we saw fall off in mma in recent years at his age, where they chin just went bye bye.

and does anybody care about this guy? im a wrasslin fan but this guy just comes off as a miserable prick and he was never anything special in the biz. i guess it can't hurt to have some wrestling audience come over to watch him get whipped.

Ric Flair

Banned
Brock was an NCAA Div 1 champ. Hey Phil is a 37 year old, injury riddled, champ of nothing. He's got no combat background. Brock was in his early 30s at least when he fought, and didn't have half the bad bumps Hey Phil has had.

Punk has no business in the ring, he's not going to do well.

Have him fight Joe Rogan, it'd be funny to see Rogan choke him out

joelseph

Soon as Shane pins Undertaker at Mania and splits the brand Shane will put Punk in charge or RAW and the slow burn will be realized.

pbayne

My interest has waned with how long its taken.

But im sure they'll hype it up a lot and if there's some good promos so who knows. Id actually like to see him do well.

Ithil

It's gonna be as big as Duke Nukem Forever.
Wait, no, Shenmue 3.
Hang on, Beyond Good and Evil 2, there we go.

Tom Nook

If he fought sometime last year, it would've been a big deal. The hype for his first fight now has gone down to almost nothing.

Aiii

So not worth it
He's been injured during training twice already. I am taking a wait and see approach on if it will even happen. It's a bucket list thing for him, and given how determined the guy gets, I'm sure he wants it to happen with all his heart, so for now I'll assume the match will happen.

It's going to be the end of the year though, and if it does, I hope he wins just because that will piss off the most people. The butthurt responses about how he was fed a can, etc. will be much more fun te read than the "I told you so" posts if he loses.

Couleurs

I've seen people tap out to armbars in the UFC, but in wrestling armbars are just rest holds for when both guys need to catch their breath. This is a clear sign pro wrestlers are superior fighters.

By the time his fight actually comes around to happening, I feel like interest might have gone down a huge amount.

And should Punk lose his first fight? Everything goes down the drain from there.

Entropia

No One Remembers
We're working ourselves into a shoot here, brothers!

But seriously, I heard the latest procedure that Punk had done wasn't going to impact when his fight was scheduled for??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom