• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Mueller's team met with Russia dossier author

chadskin

Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigators met this past summer with the former British spy whose dossier on alleged Russian efforts to aid the Trump campaign spawned months of investigations that have hobbled the Trump administration, according to two people familiar with the matter.

Information from Christopher Steele, a former MI-6 officer, could help investigators determine whether contacts between people associated with the Trump campaign and suspected Russian operatives broke any laws.

CNN has learned that the FBI and the US intelligence community last year took the Steele dossier more seriously than the agencies have publicly acknowledged. James Clapper, then the director of national intelligence, said in a January 2017 statement that the intelligence community had "not made any judgment that the information in this document is reliable."

The intelligence agencies, particularly the CIA, and the FBI took Steele's research seriously enough that they kept it out of a publicly-released January report on Russian meddling in the election in order to not divulge which parts of the dossier they had corroborated and how.

This contrasts with attempts by President Donald Trump and some lawmakers to discredit Steele and the memos he produced.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/05/p...-russia-dossier-christopher-steele/index.html

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I sit with my keyboard in my lap and it just shot through the ceiling. I suspected this after he was said to refuse the hacks in congress.

antonz

Makes it even more obvious why he told Congress to buzz off after they pulled the shenanigans they did. He already talked to the man that mattered.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Just yesterday some of y'all were wondering why Muller "just got the dossier"

Dude is in another dimension with this

Mr. F

Banned
Sometimes I feel like this is a really drawn out edging

sting-the-last-ship-closing-broadway.gif

Africanus

The journey continues...
As Mueller’s team works in the shadows of America’s worst modern president, secrets long hidden shall be unveiled.

Mueller's investigation is moving quite fast. He probably realizes the urgency.

The Steele Dossier track is time sensitive on its own - Steele can't run his Russian sources from hiding and/or in the public eye and the longer they wait, the harder it is to verify his original intelligence findings as the sources drift away or get compromised.

If Mueller is serious about looking into the Russian motivations and operations, he needs the CIA and its allied agencies, the dossier alone won't be enough.

neoanarch

Seriously impressive how Steele had all this information before anyone else. This dude must be one hell of a badass.

Sloane

Banned
Seriously impressive how Steele had all this information before anyone else. This dude must be one hell of a badass.
On the one hand, yeah. On the other, it feels a bit surprising that nobody else had that kind of information. Isn't that, like, the CIA's and NSA's job, especially when it comes to a guy running for president? I can only imagine they never took him seriously like so many others but still... Or maybe I'm just overestimating what the US intelligence community actually does and can do from watching too many spy flicks.

Top Bottom