• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Mueller's team met with Russia dossier author

Lev

Drip drip drip:

tenor.gif

On the one hand, yeah. On the other, it feels a bit surprising that nobody else had that kind of information. Isn't that, like, the CIA's and NSA's job, especially when it comes to a guy running for president? I can only imagine they never took him seriously like so many others but still... Or maybe I'm just overestimating what the US intelligence community actually does and can do from watching too many spy flicks.

Allied services in Europe tried to warn the CIA; we still don't have the full picture what the outgoing Obama administration did with that intelligence.

Seriously impressive how Steele had all this information before anyone else. This dude must be one hell of a badass.

I don't think the clients who hired his company to research Trump's Russia ties had any notion what he would uncover; chances are he was as surprised as anyone else.

He has an impressive career though: post in Moscow during the oligarch take-over, direct involvement in counter-insurgency special operations in Afghanistan and in charge of the MI6 Russia desk.

But more than anything else, he was very well connected to and liked by people in the Russian security apparatus so they talked to him candidly. That's the mark of a badass spy in the real world.

rjinaz

I'll go ahead and chime in on why the piss tape would be a big deal, because I'm sure somebody is just itching to shame gaf about a piss fetish.

The part about the piss tape is that it's a kompromat. It's material being held over Trump's head as leverage.

The dossier was rather large though so they may not have even looked into that part of it or considered it as something to pursue.

LifEndz

I gotta read the dossier again. Good God, to be a fly on the walls of Mueller’s team’s offices. I ca only imagine what leads they’re investigating and what they’ve already confirmed to be true and actionable offenses.

Mr. F

Banned
I gotta read the dossier again. Good God, to be a fly on the walls of Mueller’s team’s offices. I ca only imagine what leads they’re investigating and what they’ve already confirmed to be true and actionable offenses.

They've probably run out of red yarn and/or wall space

Foffy

Banned
Is there anything we know of the dossier that isn't true?

I ask because you know Trump and the GOP will use those false claims to claim the whole thing is false.

I want to make a thread with betting on how the piss tape plays out. What's the first word spoken? Does Trump remain fully clothed? Does he watch while sitting or standing? Will he say the N word? Did Melania say this was also okay?

Is there anything we know of the dossier that isn't true?

I ask because you know Trump and the GOP will use those false claims to claim the whole thing is false.

The sole counterpoint to the Steele dossier so far has been its bullet point that Trump's lawyer Cohen met with Kremlin officials in Prague at the end of 2016. First there was confusion whether the dossier referred to Trump attorney Michael Cohen or someone else, then it turned out Cohen had an alibi (he was in the California at the time) and Czech journalists couldn't find evidence of any such meeting or travel history.

However the Washington Post recently revealed that Michael Cohen did, in fact, have contact with high ranking Russian officials despite earlier denials and it now seems plausible that the meeting Steele described was either rescheduled or cancelled.

TLDR; everything in the Steele Dossier has held up so far.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I hope that they are ALL implicated in this. Trump, Pence, Jared, Ivanka, Thing 1/Thing 2, Paul Ryan, McConnel, etc. I hope by the end of this the evidence is collusion with intent to help Trump win the election by way of Russia. Surely the election results would be null right?

jelly

I want to make a thread with betting on how the piss tape plays out. What's the first word spoken? Does Trump remain fully clothed? Does he watch while sitting or standing? Will he say the N word? Did Melania say this was also okay?

They all look like Ivanka, are underage and call him Daddy.

jelly

I hope that they are ALL implicated in this. Trump, Pence, Jared, Ivanka, Thing 1/Thing 2, Paul Ryan, McConnel, etc. I hope by the end of this the evidence is collusion with intent to help Trump win the election by way of Russia. Surely the election results would be null right?

My worry is the US got so compromised that it's too much of an embarrassment so they brush much of it under the carpet and let most of them off the hook as long as they retire.

Chaffetz resigned with no real believable reason given, Corker is resigning, Nunes has gone leaps and bounds out of his way to halter the investigation...

They and many more GOP (and maybe some dems) know that shit is gonna hit the fan hard at some point and are getting out while the gettings good, or are playing a desperation game.

Dirca

Nope.

neoanarch

My worry is the US got so compromised that it's too much of an embarrassment so they brush much of it under the carpet and let most of them off the hook as long as they retire.
My fear is that there is gonna have to be widespread protests before many of them get arrested. Widespread public unrest. Stone already talked about disturbances if there is an impeachment. The left is gonna have to come together and plan ahead. This is probably the reason they went so hard against antifa. Trying to cutoff an opposition group who could spearhead that possible counter movement.

Downhome

What will the national reaction be to all of this if he finishes the investigation and reveals that he didn't find anything truly incriminating?

What will the national reaction be to all of this if he finishes the investigation and reveals that he didn't find anything truly incriminating?

1/4th country will be very disappointed, 1/4th of the country will all of a sudden tell you that the news isnt fake that day, and 1/2 of the country wont care either way because they dont vote.

1/4th country will be very disappointed, 1/4th of the country will all of a sudden tell you that the news isnt fake that day, and 1/2 of the country wont care either way because they dont vote.

Don't forget the countless false flag videos getting ready to be created. I need to get in on that racket

Almost zero chance of this happening. From what has leaked so far, bare minimum we can expect is "Paul Manafort colluded with Russia and Donald Trump obstructed justice to cover it up."

Shauni

We already pretty much know that Manafort and Don Jr colluded with Russia as a fact. Trump admitted to obstruction on live television. There's already something there.

Can somebody help me out with something?

I know there are things in the dossier that have been corroborated, but what do we know that have been found as false or incorrect? And, do we have a way to contextualize how much and what type of information that is wrong in the dossier versus similar reports?

It would be awesome if a more knowledgeable GAFer could help me understand this better.

CNN has learned that the FBI and the US intelligence community last year took the Steele dossier more seriously than the agencies have publicly acknowledged. James Clapper, then the director of national intelligence, said in a January 2017 statement that the intelligence community had "not made any judgment that the information in this document is reliable."

Fucking knew it. I mean come on, the guy specialized in Russian affairs during his time with MI6.

Primus

I know there are things in the dossier that have been corroborated, but what do we know that have been found as false or incorrect? And, do we have a way to contextualize how much and what type of information that is wrong in the dossier versus similar reports?

From upthread:

The sole counterpoint to the Steele dossier so far has been its bullet point that Trump's lawyer Cohen met with Kremlin officials in Prague at the end of 2016. First there was confusion whether the dossier referred to Trump attorney Michael Cohen or someone else, then it turned out Cohen had an alibi (he was in the California at the time) and Czech journalists couldn't find evidence of any such meeting or travel history.

However the Washington Post recently revealed that Michael Cohen did, in fact, have contact with high ranking Russian officials despite earlier denials and it now seems plausible that the meeting Steele described was either rescheduled or cancelled.

TLDR; everything in the Steele Dossier has held up so far.

rudger

So if the CIA and FBI altered the january report to keep some info away from Trump, that really puts the January meeting Comey described into an entirely different light.

They’ve been playing him this whole time.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I dunno about nationally, but you'll hear another "I told ya" from me.

At most, it's your standard financial corruption and conflict of interest that every politician does.

I still care about everything else more than the pee pee tape. I guess it's hugely embarrassing, but isn't it just supposed to be Trump watching a bunch of hookers peeing, and I guess he says some stuff. Now if Trump was naked or something, that would really erode his image, and probably blind anyone who saw it.

chadskin

So if the CIA and FBI altered the january report to keep some info away from Trump, that really puts the January meeting Comey described into an entirely different light.

They’ve been playing him this whole time.

Trump was briefed about the existence of the dossier in January. They're referring to the Intelligence Community Assessment about Russia's attempts to influence the election that was made public but did not include any mention of the dossier.

rokkerkory

I still care about everything else more than the pee pee tape. I guess it's hugely embarrassing, but isn't it just supposed to be Trump watching a bunch of hookers peeing, and I guess he says some stuff. Now if Trump was naked or something, that would really erode his image, and probably blind anyone who saw it.

Oh it's just our president with hookers in russia. No biggie

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Wouldn’t there be a lot of pissed off people if the evidence is found that the election was won with help from Russia? Wouldn’t these people be pissed if the party that benefited from this Russian interference was still allowed to benefit from it?

Our government would be ejected and an election called if it were found that they won the election with foreign help. Deputy PM wouldn’t just take over.

Wouldn’t there be a lot of pissed off people if the evidence is found that the election was won with help from Russia? Wouldn’t these people be pissed if the party that benefited from this Russian interference was still allowed to benefit from it?

Our government would be ejected and an election called if it were found that they won the election with foreign help. Deputy PM wouldn’t just take over.

Unfortunately, there's nothing in our Constitution about when or how to dissolve the government and elect a new one. Pretty much all Federal level positions don't get a revote until terms are up.

Top Bottom