• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN Poll:6 out of 10 Trump voters will "never, ever" stop approving of Trump

The majority of college-educated whites voted for Trump in 2016; the majority of college-educated white men voted for Trump also.

zI4aQhO.png

Source: CNN Exit Polls

Not quite.

The majority of college educated whites ... who voted ... voted for Trump.

If you feel really strongly about an issue you are going to vote. Trump and the Republicans (and fox...) do a great job of making people feel strongly about things.

You either fix this by making more people feel strongly about something (which Trump is now doing) or you just make everyone vote. Then you might find that a lot of sane college educated white people show up and vote for someone sane and things get a whole lot better.

mclem

Something like this came up in PoliGAF today. 6ish of 10 out of the entire voter pool for Trump happens to coincide with the 27% Crazification Factor, which is the theoretical floor of support to any political thing in modern times.

It's not "6 out of 10 of the voter pool for Trump", it's "6 out of 10 of the people who are currently approving of him", if I'm understanding the poll correctly. That's rather fewer.

If we're ever able to break this "Trump cult" spell, it's likely that it will have to result in either millions of broken, demoralized people that have given up entirely on being involved in politics, OR they stay the course and become so dedicated and radical that they become dangerous.

No matter what it's going to be a tough road. In a lot of ways the rallies and Trump's cult of personality have created a new style of "born again" religion with him at the helm. And that kind of psychological conditioning is tough to break.

I don't think the bolded is actually a bad thing.

Machina

Banned
If we're ever able to break this "Trump cult" spell, it's likely that it will have to result in either millions of broken, demoralized people that have given up entirely on being involved in politics,

They already have. Trump is just one big fuck you to the system and their opponents.

One day going to read a book about this written by somebody smarter than myself and maybe I'll understand this phenomenon. It's fascinating, but it's much scarier and troubling than anything.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
60% of current Trump fans are irredeemable cunts, more at 11.

I mean he's already down to his base, and eroding that day by day. That 60% represents the lowest possible approval rate, so based on the generous 40% of his highest approval, is 24%. If his approval date reaches this, you know who is left.

They're welcome to him and the GOP need to stop pandering to them by dancing around condemnation of Trump.

These must be the deplorables that Hillary was talking about about. Remember how pissed off everyone was at her for saying that? Including many left wing people?

These must be the deplorables that Hillary was talking about about. Remember how pissed off everyone was at her for saying that? Including many left wing people?

I mean, that was still a misstep on her part. The qualm many on the left had wasn't the truth of the claim, but the strategy behind it. You can't have the first lady saying "when they go low, we go high" and then call your opponent's supporters deplorable.

And yes, I realize that Hillary was unfairly held to a higher standard since Trump basically made his campaign about saying the craziest shit he could, but his audience and Hillary's are two very different types of people. Trump was drawing in people who felt the media was unfair, that political correctness was suppressing their ability to freely express themselves, and who were tired of the old guard in Washington (in both parties). Meanwhile, Hillary was drawing in people who generally appreciate things like civility, diplomacy, tact and decorum. The comment, truthful or not, did not fuel her base the way Trump's rhetoric did his.

G.ZZZ

Everyone was pissed because she missed the point. You don't talk about the other dude or the voters, that's the first rule of politics. You need to motivate people to vote, not shittalk the extremist voters who will always vote by party lines, you are just motivating them even more to vote and not giving a reason for other people to go out and vote. People don't give a shit about anything but them. How are politicians in 2017 still not getting this i'll never know.

BriGuy

These voters talk big but they probably gave this question about half a second's thought and haven't even begun to see the havoc this piece of shit can wreak if he is allowed to serve his full term.

Also:

Decades? He's over 70 and not exactly a paragon of health.

This nightmare *will* end, people.

His supreme court appointments will outlast him by decades, yes. And beyond that, his style of "politics" will be emulated by firebrands on the right for years and years to come. There's also the distrust he's sown against the media, our intelligence agencies, the judiciary, science in general... This shit isn't going to just fade away overnight. If it sounds like I'm painting a bleak picture, that's because it is a bleak picture.

grumble

At this point it's time the Democrats cut thier loses and just focus on their own base. The other side will never, ever vote for you. Dem base outnumber them too.

Not where it matters. Getting another young, urban, liberal social issues voter does jack shit for that party. They still lack an economic message and effective representation in rural areas and thus will continue to marginalize the party.

Not where it matters. Getting another young, urban, liberal social issues voter does jack shit for that party. They still lack an economic message and effective representation in rural areas and thus will continue to marginalize the party.
Rural areas are lost. Hilary had a plan, but theu chose to eat at the lies of Trump.

You cannot fight willful ignorance.

gdt

I'll never forget the disappointment of his win, but especially with women, white women in particular. There was so much polling and "he's a pig!" assurances about white Midwest wives coming out to stomp Trump.

That didn't amount to shit.

gaiages

Banned
It blows my mind that white college-educated women only went for Hillary over Trump by 7 points.

Key word there is white.

Women might be women, but white women still hold privileges in this country and many Republican women are afraid of foreigners and etc.

Also if you hear drivel about how women are inferior, where their place is, and so on for all their lives, they'll believe it.

Narroo

To these people voting for a Democrat is literally voting for Satan so don't expect them to change no matter how badly Trump continues to fail.

But they'd meet with Satan for opposition intel....

Does that meet they'd work with Democrats for a common goal?

What if he divorces Melania and makes out with Barack Obama in the middle of 5th Avenue before proposing to be wed. I think those voters might think twice.

Davey Cakes

So hillary was right. It's a culture thing before it's a critical ideas thing (abortion, guns).
Seems pretty obvious. ESPECIALLY when you consider that a lot of Trump voters live in their own bubble and aren't exposed to the realities of the rest of the country.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
"
Six in 10 people who approve of President Donald Trump (61%) say they can't think of anything Trump could do that would make them disapprove of his job as President"

Literally insanity.

Africanus

Give it time, the piecemeal stability of the Obams regime is still here.

Bush didn't pop the Clinton bubble for some years.

When Iran begins its nuclear program, and countries around the world sanction the U.S., when produce costs nearly double as those same crops rot in the field from unplucked soil by immigrants. Then shall opinion change.

People say the economically anxious haven't felt the recovery? Well it can get alot worse than the 2008 recession.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
isn't this always the case though with any President? They usually NEVER ever go below 30% for this very reason.

ShyMel

Many white women will unfortunately support white supremacy over standing with minorities, even when white supremacy 99.9999% of the time is linked with misogyny. Along with that, they can often enforce anti-women agendas/ideas/policies when are given a platform.

EGM1966

Trump is trying to put something in play to affect his naysayers with something similar. Next election is going to be chaos for Americans.
That's a given. Technically I don't really want anyone to lose voting rights but in context these voters are just so useless and closed off it's frustrating.

Top Bottom