• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN reports on Next-Gen Used Games Policy #PS4NoDRM; IGN and Giantbomb remain silent

A few things:

1.) Giantbomb hasn't written anything on the topic, but the person I would expect to write about it, Patrick Klepic, is in the middle of a move back to the midwest, so maybe his mind is elsewhere. So I don't think there's much in the way of a conspiracy theory to this. If you want to criticize GB for something in this regard, I guess I would say that they all seem pretty lackadaisical on these subjects, as in, "We don't really care." I don't think they support anything, but room for serious conversations is pretty limited on the site as a whole. Seriously, have you ever seen Ryan Davis give a shit about anything? Patrick is about as close to someone who would report on that stuff as you can get.

2.) Total Biscuit seems like a serious dick. "Hey protesters! Shut up!" Really, why even do that? What purpose does it serve other than to pretend like you're somehow more important that other people?

3.) I'm glad to see this has garnered media attention. I have zero faith that it will change the policies of any of the suits at MS or deter Sony from whatever path they've previously chosen, but at least people have been heard. There can be no blinders in this situation.

DaBuddaDa

Patrick is going to post a "Worth Reading" sometime in the very near future. The weekly feature is a summary of articles and links to videos appearing across the internet having to do with video games. I'm sure he will comment and link to the most compelling stuff to come out of this past week.

lol, who are you? Your post makes it abundantly clear that you didn't even read the OP.

And since when is quoting articles a bad thing? I didn't even know I had that reputation.

No I read the OP, just didn't see you were it until later. Take it as a compliment I didn't put two and two together.

It certainly isn't a bad thing, but it seems like you think Giant Bomb's focus is on articles and such, when it is clearly on multimedia content. They have one general news guy, and he's A: moving and B: usually focuses in large features as things wind down, like the Skullgirls thing.

Even if they don't do an article, they devoted a large chunk of their flagship program to it. That isn't good enough for you?

Edit: Oh, seems like I'm late to the party here. Mobilegaf defeats me yet againnnn

For the one, I imagine they'll talk about it a little bit before the briefing on the 10th to clear things up and leave people with a good taste in their mouth with games.

Seriously, they are taking a (refreshing unfortunately) level-headed approach to this entire situation.

If by refreshing you mean being dismissive and saying this is all inevitable and we should suck it up then sure. People aren't asking them to report on DRM directly, but rather on the ground swell of people that don't want it and thus informing many others about this and adding their voices.

Penny Arcade Report senior editor Ben Kuchera recently wrote suggesting gamers buy a Wii U as a message to Sony and Microsoft about how important the issue is to them.

"Rewarding that behavior with a boost in sales would be ridiculously effective, and send a much louder message than you ever could on Twitter," he wrote. "But that requires a change of behavior.

"In other words, no one should expect this to happen. We won't see the true will of the players, for good or ill, until preorders begin."
Wow.

Biker19

Banned
Money should go to the developer not retailers. Gamestop makes $1.4B in profits just from used games. They made $2.2B in profits 2012.

Sony hasnt't made a penny. If you add the profits of MS, Unbisoft, EA, Square, Capcom it is not the same as what gamestop makes every year.

Folks like Collin, Greg from IGN has spoken about this for years. Even in GT weekly podcast they spoke about it. Every one keeps saying that money should go the developer.

Right now, if they say any thing explicit people will get all rallied up that they are being paid by MS to act as their PR. So any one who doesnt support used games are simply not being very vocal.

You're kidding, right?

Neither Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, or 3rd party publishers are obligated to be paid twice for the same games. It's been that way since the beginning of gaming, & it should continue to be that way.

Froli

So, what's with these juniors?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60276093&postcount=352

image.php
I want to see this! We must ready our popcorn and drinks!

Patrick is going to post a "Worth Reading" sometime in the very near future. The weekly feature is a summary of articles and links to videos appearing across the internet having to do with video games. I'm sure he will comment and link to the most compelling stuff to come out of this past week.

Conspicuously absent. It's like they've taken some kind of a principled stand to not mention the Twitter campaign. A wall full of bullet holes except with an untouched #PS4NoDRM shaped area.

Game streaming like twitch.tv, Lets Play on youtube etc, they will go for a cut of them as well.

Nintendo has already started. Soon every view on a youtube walkthrough will be a loss sale.

Funnily enough, with games becoming more and more cinematic, you could argue that watching some walkthroughs are getting 80% of the experience for free.

I want to see this! We must ready our popcorn and drinks!

23,000+ tweets, 190 articles.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/crm01854.htm

This movement doesn't concern you then, so butt out.

Pubs are lobbying for it, we're lobbying against it.

Get out.

It's cute that you make those statements as if they're proven facts.

So, what's with these juniors?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60276093&postcount=352

image.php

they are getting more and more obvious. On both sides of the fence. The worse offenders are the ones that havent posted in years, are still juniors (not including people who have been demoted to junior) and havent posted in anything related to the console topics until now.

My argument is simply this:- If these issues are just things they feel passionate about and that has made them break their silence, why havent they commented before now? Its not like these things havent been debated on this forum over the past year, often intensely.

There is some serious astroturfing on this site right now, nobody can tell me any different.

whoops, double sorry.

QaaQer

That doesn't cut it. Not even close.

You need to have an article with the headline mentioning this topic. Giantbomb are clearly too close to this industry to actually do real reporting on this topic.

owned by cbs interactive, they are no more trustworthy than any other megacorp owned site.

edit: they are still fun to listen to, tho. Just don't expect them to be some bastion of integrity when their paychecks come from Price Is Right HQ.

Just because they don't act as a mouth piece for GAF doesn't mean ign and GB are corporate shills.

GB news/articles section is always behind the times if you use the site also.

QaaQer

Just because they don't act as a mouth piece for GAF doesn't mean ign and GB are corporate shills.

The fact they are owned by a corporation with economic ties to microsoft does mean their integrity is compromised tho.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Us, new juniors are not corporate shills at all. We are terribly excited at the great prospects for the future through the "Infinite Power Of The Cloud ©" and for exciting new forms of advertising offered by "Kinect 2©". I cannot wait for the "Xbox One©" and the deeper, richer worlds that will be offered to me thanks to the publishers getting more money from the restriction on used games which are totally evil and disgusting.

Hopefully Sony and Microsoft are true to their word and are actually listening

It doesn't but something does go strange when you have over 150 articles including mainstream media speaking out about the movement and nothing from one of the biggest gaming sites in the world.

They don't even have to give a shit, find the truth or answers for us or even support it but to not even mention it? C'mon now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have concerns about petitions / slacktivism, but I don't express it by rudely losing my shit at everyone who disagrees. Being respectful to other human beings is important and TotalBiscuit is not being respectful to other human beings during that exchange.

Manbig

It doesn't but something does go strange when you have over 150 articles including mainstream media speaking out about the movement and nothing from one of the biggest gaming sites in the world.

They don't even have to give a shit, find the truth or answers for us or even support it but to not even mention it? C'mon now.

Giant Bomb is one of the biggest gaming sites in the world? Man, that small handful of dudes must have come a long way, because I totally missed that memo...

Giant Bomb is one of the biggest gaming sites in the world? Man, that small handful of dudes must have come a long way, because I totally missed that memo...

Well, Jeff was given a front row seat at the Xbox reveal, so GB is definitely seen as one of the leading gaming sites. :p

Manbig

Well, Jeff was given a front row seat at the Xbox reveal, so GB is definitely seen as one of the leading gaming sites. :p

Perhaps. I just don't see how Giant Bomb fits into this scenario. Just seems like some people have an axe to grind with gaming websites and automatically want to drag them down with the others for some strange reason. It's been said here already, but they talked about this stuff a ton on the podcast and Patrick has been pretty clear about his stance on reporting stuff like this. We'll probably see more from them on this issue after E3 where things are (hopefully) more out in the open about the subject.

If it turns out to be this monumental negative thing that people are making it out to be AFTER everything is out in the open, then I'm sure that they will highlight these grievances more openly. Even then though, I have trouble seeing Giant Bomb of all places being this big difference maker as some here seem to want it to be...

zashga

Giant Bomb hasn't been silent on the issue, but their "wait and see" stance is frustrating. Either they have a lot more faith in corporate decency than I do, or they just don't believe that people acting/speaking out on principle can change things. Either way, their last podcast was difficult to listen to.

Dany

Banned
They dislike always online console, they dislike kinect required cameras, they dislike the approach of used game and activating a game for play, listening to the bombcast they've said as much.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I have concerns about petitions / slacktivism, but I don't express it by rudely losing my shit at everyone who disagrees. Being respectful to other human beings is important and TotalBiscuit is not being respectful to other human beings during that exchange.

He is above it all, in his own head.

I just want to note that having two users with the exact same Grim Fandango avatar and who are on opposite sides of the debate is confusing and disorienting.

I don't understand how it is slacktivism if that's all we can really do at this moment. It's not like the systems are out now to boycott.

Indeed. I'm still skeptical about his whole thing and "slacktivism" in general, but a general from of decency in a discussion is not hard to apply.

You guys should try organising a actual protest outside the LA convention center during E3.

That would be interesting and get the message across even more.

Polk

Money should go to the developer not retailers. Gamestop makes $1.4B in profits just from used games. They made $2.2B in profits 2012.

Sony hasnt't made a penny. If you add the profits of MS, Unbisoft, EA, Square, Capcom it is not the same as what gamestop makes every year.

Folks like Collin, Greg from IGN has spoken about this for years. Even in GT weekly podcast they spoke about it. Every one keeps saying that money should go the developer.

Right now, if they say any thing explicit people will get all rallied up that they are being paid by MS to act as their PR. So any one who doesnt support used games are simply not being very vocal.
Gamestop made profits because there was protif to be made. If publisher (because it's publisher not developer) wants used copies money they could run scheme themselves.
Buy you will argue, that's insane, logistics nightmare.
Excatly, that's why there are middlemen like Gamestop. Because they can make things possible when other companies cannot make profit.

dagamer34

Neo Member
If Sony's system were as simple as what we have now, shouldn't they have said so by now? Are they going to reveal it at E3? I think it's pretty clear that Sony will be making a change as well, they are just better at letting Microsoft take all the blame first.

At the very least with Vita Remote Play, I do not want to have to swap discs inside my console to switch games on my Vita. So something will have to change there.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No I read the OP, just didn't see you were it until later. Take it as a compliment I didn't put two and two together.

It certainly isn't a bad thing, but it seems like you think Giant Bomb's focus is on articles and such, when it is clearly on multimedia content. They have one general news guy, and he's A: moving and B: usually focuses in large features as things wind down, like the Skullgirls thing.

Even if they don't do an article, they devoted a large chunk of their flagship program to it. That isn't good enough for you?

Edit: Oh, seems like I'm late to the party here. Mobilegaf defeats me yet againnnn

I'm still not entirely sure what you're implying, but I don't think I've really ever mentioned GiantBomb before except for criticizing some atrocious reviews they've done in the past. I'm certainly not particularly anti-GiantBomb.

People were mentioning in the other thread how much of a shame it was that the communal effort by gamers contacting Sony Executives wasn't getting any coverage from two of the largest purveyors of game news, and I agreed. The OP says as much now. I think it's newsworthy to mention the campaign, but I don't believe either outlet has.

That said, there's still time before E3. I just think people were expecting better coverage from them.

He seems to have some serious problems with empathy. He's fine with the lack of resale/trading capabilities on digitally distributed games, with dominate the PC space now, so he thinks it's OK to dismiss and make fun of people who are against it in the console space, completely ignoring or simply not caring about the fact that the practice isn't common at all on consoles.

From what I had read he was trying to direct people to a better forum than Twitter to have a discussion. He probably got frustrated by all the idiots who think Twitter is a good space to have a "debate". Consider all the knee jerk reactions we get here over every little thing.

Considering the fact that he's a professional communicator, he clearly has done a shitty, shitty job at communicating RE: this issue.

Personally, I liked him better when he was just yelling over Baneling busts, and not trying to dictate how consumers choose to exercise their free speech rights protesting policies they don't like. He stepped into a world of commentary that's far "above his pay grade," and it showed. And when people pushed back, he became petulant, which made me lose a lot of respect for him.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I just want to note that having two users with the exact same Grim Fandango avatar and who are on opposite sides of the debate is confusing and disorienting.

Oh, please.

He's got a generic game avatar, but me, I am sporting a classy Manny Calavera avvy.

It's not the same.

Seriously, his is sharper, mine is softer. I slightly softened mine, felt the aliasing was looking ugly.

QaaQer

Giant Bomb hasn't been silent on the issue, but their "wait and see" stance is frustrating. Either they have a lot more faith in corporate decency than I do, or they just don't believe that people acting/speaking out on principle can change things. Either way, their last podcast was difficult to listen to.

so true.

They tried going the indie route, couldn't make it work financial and had to sell to cbsI. Once you are no longer your own boss, you have to compromise. I don't think they are bad people, just mentioning the fact they are owned by a corporation with financial ties to microsoft.

How that may or may not manifest in the content they produce, we'll never know. But it should be kept in mind wrt their opinions on microsoft or microsoft's competitors.

It is nice to see gamers standing up to try and bring change. I fear though the writing is on the wall and eventually it will happen. Gamers will have to suck it up and accept it or not play anymore at some point. There won't be much choice and I would also wager a good majority of people who claim they will boycott will end up buying and these companies know this.

Top Bottom