• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN reports on Next-Gen Used Games Policy #PS4NoDRM; IGN and Giantbomb remain silent

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
ib3iAeB.png

cqkcU75.png

b8dXflF.png

*Ahem*

Lazy and unmeaningful you say...

Wow, what a douche... That was a sick burn!
Glad the Sony guy shushed him

GQman2121

Banned
On the Bombcast, Jeff made light of the efforts gamers are making on Twitter about no drm. He seemed pretty confident that its a waste of time and that disc based drm is our new reality.

Your argument is not related to his - he is arguing what is right, you are arguing the legality of resale.

I would argue that second hand sales are right. If I can't resale something I don't actually own it. The concepts of Ownership and Property are the foundation of a capitalist system. This is the kind of morality that a kindergartner inherently knows is fair. If I sell you a candy bar. It isn't your candy bar anymore. You don't have a say about what I do with it. If I turn around and sell that candy bar for a profit you are not entitled to that money. This basic principal underpins the entire free market.

I find it funny that media companies fought for years to have their product defined as property. It's not a game its IP. But now they want to argue that it isn't really property, not always. It is property when it benefits them and not when it would benefit the consumer. A market dosen't react well to uncertainty, but they are going to charge ahead with a model where the consumer never really knows if what they are buying is a particle or a wave. It's crazy.

Hmm...if used games are such an issue, why doesn't Sony/MS just make digital downloads more appealing? Say much much quicker installs/download (which they are already doing) and better incentives for buying digital like future b/c goals, discounts, trading between friends like current PSN titles, and really really really huge HDD or even some way to store games on cloud servers for future use.

Wouldn't that kinda make everyone happy?

I mean there's been developers say they are happy with certain titles on Vita which has a very small world wide user base. Isn't easy digital the way we should be going? Countries without strong internet would likely benefit a lot more from hard copies of games, and the current system should be kept in place for them.

I don't get why this is complicated...

jediyoshi

On the Bombcast, Jeff made light of the efforts gamers are making on Twitter about no drm. He seemed pretty confident that its a waste of time and that disc based drm is our new reality.

He also points out the shitty, obvious side effects of what it entails. It's a pragmatic stance, it's hand in hand with people's doom and gloom scenario, just taken to its conclusion.

It's very likely that Jeff knew about the DRM stuff since like January, along with Sony's.

unbias

Games media and games industry are going to, typically, be on the same side, unless we are talking about things that make a game literally worse(bad DRM practices, crappy gameplay, and ect). A lot of these guys are friends with developers, who believe the lines publishers have told them, that 2nd hand sales is forgone growth(just because they say so). They have no reason to have a different opinion then the game industry, as a whole, they don't even consume games like the people who go to their sites.

You guys are expecting too much from most of them. Ironically, the only website that really took MS to task for this crap was Kotaku. The interests of the games media and game industry are near one and the same. Lets ignore the fact that getting rid of the 2nd hand market isnt forgone growth, lets assume it is; we as consumers have no vested interest in going along with these companies even still. The game industry doesn't deserve to exist, specially as it exists now. The idea that, since the perception to the industry is that the 2nd hand market is forgone growth, consumers should be ok with it, is just insane(even if what they said is true).

People like TB, giantbomb, IGN, and any other website or game company that relies on the the game industry more then the consumer, in terms of giving them a pay-check clearly will lean on the side of the industry over the consumer. We really dont have a games journalism industry, we have a few game journalists, but that distinction is significant. There really isnt a consumer advocacy website/journalism on the gamers side. Unfortunately the game industry isnt built like the tech industry where there are tons of sites looking out for the consumer. IMO, though, people really need to get out of the mindset that the game industry "deserves" to exist simply because people enjoy it. It only exists in that it fills a demand, and that demand should be fought for on what is best for the consumer(specially if you claim to be the press) not industry. The industry though has the games media fully trained to wait until they feed them the information they want, and then it gets reported to us. They have no real motivation to do otherwise, becuae their income is a derivative of the industries profits, not our wants.

derExperte

Wow, what a douche... That was a sick burn!
Glad the Sony guy shushed him

Problem is that his head is so far up his own ass that he probably hasn't even realized he got told.

Still like his WTFs and the attention he brings to small indie titles so he's kinda useful.

JABEE

I like your viewpoint a lot more - they should absolutely report on what happens around the game industry. I'm sure they've mentioned it here and there (and the Navarro piece was one example), but that also begs the question of how much they're meant to represent the gaming community and not themselves.

I just get the feeling that people here will be unhappy with anything except advocacy.

I would be okay with just even reporting. Sometimes when I hear people make excuses for mega corporations, I think they are industry advocates.

I also don't think GiantBomb has been silent, I just think they have made too many excuses that rely on the notion that "business being business" is an excuse worthy of justify encroachment on consumer rights.

I'm glad that those reporting on the movement going on have done so. I like having amplifiers (outlets) working for gamers rather than the industry. The normal atmosphere is PR gets the outlets to stick to their message and plan (air support), while ad agencies inundate consumers with positive truths and misleading advertisements that do nothing other than inspire feelings of consumptions within its audience.

yurinka

I don't know who this totalbiscuit and I don't care, but deserve to be unfollowed by everybody in Twitter and to stop listening his opinions. And depending of his work, must be fired.

These two things have nothing to do with each other and I don't know why you think they would. Bad logic.

Actual SEC filings:
actual-gamestop-figures-2009-2012.png

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/193088/Partys_almost_over_for_GameStops_used_games_business.php

The rest of your arguments are spurious as well.

Or lets look at the 10k:

"Consolidated net income (loss) attributable to GameStop Corp.

2012 - (269.7)
2011 - 339.9
2010 - 408.0
2009 - 377.3
2008 - 398.3"

Figures in millions of dollars.

Also this idea that GameStop make over $1bn in profit from used products is BS. They make that in gross profit which is not exactly money in the bank. Staff, rent, bills, rates, taxes, all of this shit needs to be paid.

Bedlam

Why is anyone surprised that IGN won't cover this? They are the biggest marketing tool in the industry - of course they won't say a word against what publishers want. They live by the grace of publishers - through exclusive reviews/stories, ads etc.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
You know, there is a market and a demand for used games. Game Stop meets those demands. If it were so simple and inconsequential as to be undeserving of that money, then the publishers would do it themselves.

Only operating a store, let alone a chain of them, as a dedicated gaming depot is not inconsequential, simple, or easy. Saying Game Stop doesn't deserve the profits they make is asinine.

This is not even going into the fact that used games =/= Game Stop, or how those used games lead to credit that goes back into new game purchases.

great post. props to you sir. if there wasnt a market for it, it wouldnt exist. there is a risk to pre owned as well. just because you bought it in, it doesnt guarantee that that used copy will sell. it might hve to be heavily discounted first.

MogCakes

Giantbomb did talk about it, it eventually turned into a conversation about the heat-death of the universe until Patrick interrupted them.

They're cynical about the whole thing, what a billion dollar publisher wants holds more sway than a thousand tweets from gamers who've proven time and time again that they won't boycott shit.

23,000+ tweets, 190 articles.

DRM is about #678,157 on the list of important things to worry about in the world.

If you don't automatically believe that the possibility of not being able to get used games is the most important topic in the world or if you work at a game site and aren't spending 24 hours a day hounding MS or Sony about this despite getting the same non-answers repeatedly, then you're a shilly shill who hates consumers and secretly visits Steve Ballmer to give him a blowjob weekly.

I just finally have access to a non-GMail account. I don't own an XBox or a PS3. I do all my gaming on a PC and actually get involved in real issues in my real life, not worrying about "rights" that never existed in the first place.

"The first sale doctrine, codified at 17 U.S.C. § 109, provides that an individual who knowingly purchases a copy of a copyrighted work from the copyright holder receives the right to sell, display or otherwise dispose of that particular copy, notwithstanding the interests of the copyright owner."
http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/crm01854.htm

I have way more important things to worry about. Used games, that I do not buy ever, do not concern me in the least. I don't care if it is important to you or not either. I only care if it is good for my situation, and it is.

And I like coming here for the discussions, usually just lurking though.

Just because I am a junior member, not sure if you were necessarily talking about me pr not, doesn't mean anything.

I just happen to like what MS is showing so far. Even if I didn't though, I would not get up on a soap box and start yelling at the top of my lungs the most hyperbolic shit about it. It is not important one way or another to me. As I said, I have way more important things to worry about than used games that I don't buy ever.

This movement doesn't concern you then, so butt out.

He's right in this case. None of this will amount to any significant change out of Sony or Microsoft. Particularly not since the ire isn't properly focused. Might want to try a #PUBLISHERSNoDRM so at least you'll be pointing the finger at the parties responsible for the changes from last generation to this one in terms of DRM.

Pubs are lobbying for it, we're lobbying against it.

Maybe the other two are silent because they actually know shit

Would be CNN.

Get out.

It's cute that some of you think some tweets with a hashtag are going to make Sony change their mind.

It's cute that you make those statements as if they're proven facts.

So, what's with these juniors?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60276093&postcount=352
We note.

We notice.

Hey, would anybody be interested in a thread where I detail some of the social agency email addresses that have come up during my offsite research into some of our more recently vocal members?

It's fascinating.

image.php

These two things have nothing to do with each other and I don't know why you think they would. Bad logic.

Actual SEC filings:
actual-gamestop-figures-2009-2012.png

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/193088/Partys_almost_over_for_GameStops_used_games_business.php

The rest of your arguments are spurious as well.

Are you arguing that a companies profits don't effect its valuation? Companies with a -2.21 EPS don't tend to do so well.

Also that graph proves my point right? Look at their bottom line. Retail is a low margin business and Gamestop is not raking in profits. Their most profitable year of the last 4 was 2012 when they made a whopping 663 million dollars.

Hmm...if used games are such an issue, why doesn't Sony/MS just make digital downloads more appealing? Say much much quicker installs/download (which they are already doing) and better incentives for buying digital like future b/c goals, discounts, trading between friends like current PSN titles, and really really really huge HDD or even some way to store games on cloud servers for future use.

Wouldn't that kinda make everyone happy?

I mean there's been developers say they are happy with certain titles on Vita which has a very small world wide user base. Isn't easy digital the way we should be going? Countries without strong internet would likely benefit a lot more from hard copies of games, and the current system should be kept in place for them.

I don't get why this is complicated...

If publishers wanted Gamestop dead they could just lower Digital Download prices and offer an attractive Digital trade in program.

Instead Publishers want to eat their cake, eat Gamestop's cake, and still have both cakes too.

Gorillaz

Giant Bomb has been acting weird ever since the DRM thing went live with X1. I'm taking about since the reveal.

Maybe they are waiting for more info......

Darklord

Banned

What is in place won't change because of twitter. Only how those companies handle PR.

Edit: Listening to this bombcast now. Jeff is now saying how the kinect watches you is a legitimate concern. How the fuck is this being a shill?

jediyoshi

Why is anyone surprised that IGN won't cover this? They are the biggest marketing tool in the industry - of course they won't say a word against what publishers want. They live by the grace of publishers - through exclusive reviews/stories, ads etc.

So if they do write something negative involving a publisher, we can rule them out of the money hat, right? Who does that leave left?

Max O Power

Neo Member
These giantbomb discussions are crazy. Giantbomb might be my favorite site, but it's a fucking video blog. Do you expect everybody with a youtube channel to report on this too?

And Patrick isn't a news guy, he's a feature guy. All of his long format stuff on GB has been features about developers and games, the "Scoops" nickname is clearly ironic. That said, he did talk about getting back into news now that he is moving to Chicago, and won't spend as much time with in front of the camera or doing quick looks.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Money should go to the developer not retailers.

And they get their money, when they sell the game originally. After that they have zero right to money made my people selling the game they have bough. It's their now, they can do what they want with it. Gamestop rebuys the game, and resells it. That's their business, and they are deserving of all profits from that sale.

unbias

You know, the more I think about this, after how the SimCity crap went down, it is no surprise that most of the industry has been sheepish with the potential DRM news stories. Even when the SimCity always on crap went down, only RPS and a select few actually though the problem was the DRM, most thought the problem was it just wasnt done well.

What is in place won't change because of twitter. Only how those companies handle PR.

Edit: Listening to this bombcast now. Jeff is now saying how the kinect watches you is a legitimate concern. How the fuck is this being a shill?

To be frank, it's the difference between the reaction of a grown man with sources, a history in the industry, and a job versus the reaction of a lot of people heavily invested in a niche culture.

Nothing against the people involved in the grassroots movement, but this whole situation reminds me of people who are upset with Obama because he hasn't magically ended the recession, stopped all military action by the US, and passed single payer health care with the force of his will while people who have actually worked in politics try to explain the situation to a bunch of the more fringe people at an Occupy protest.

unbias

Indeed. You have an absolute right to sell, give away, or let other people borrow your disc. But, Sony or Microsoft or Valve have a right to say, "if you want to access our architechture, pay the toll." That statement you've cut 'n' pasted doesn't imply you have an absolute right to buy and sell anything with no strings attached.

Sure, but when you go that route, imo, you lose any "industry care" consumers ever had about devs. When the end result is about you and not the consumer, and what you are taking away only hurts the consumer there is no reason to hope the industry as we know it survives, since its goal isnt to serve the consumer, with this act. I guess we will see if the console industry has any impact on these issues, but I know my money isn't on market expansion.

MogCakes

Indeed. You have an absolute right to sell, give away, or let other people borrow your disc. But, Sony or Microsoft or Valve have a right to say, "if you want to access our architechture, pay the toll." That statement you've cut 'n' pasted doesn't imply you have an absolute right to buy and sell anything with no strings attached.

Sorry no, it applies to the content of the disc as well. Learn some reading comprehension.
The first sale doctrine, codified at 17 U.S.C. § 109, provides that an individual who knowingly purchases a copy of a copyrighted work from the copyright holder receives the right to sell, display or otherwise dispose of that particular copy, notwithstanding the interests of the copyright owner.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
It's hard to believe it took just took NeoGAF members to get the ball rolling.
This forum has pull.

I understand the concern of IGN ignoring the story, but I don't think GB actually gets as much traffic on-site as they'd like. The Bombcast is the main draw of that site.

GQman2121

Banned

But it's because if their size and you would like to think they of all outlets would be able to take publishers to task and push for answers. It's a clear partnership with when and how a game is revealed. The publishers need they too in a small way.

Sure, but when you go that route, imo, you lose any "industry care" consumers ever had about devs. When the end result is about you and not the consumer, and what you are taking away only hurts the consumer there is no reason to hope the industry as we know it survives, since its goal isnt to serve the consumer, with this act. I guess we will see if the console industry has any impact on these issues, but I know my money isn't on market expansion.

98% of consumers couldn't pick a dev out of a lineup. The 2% of us who know what a Insomniac or a Double Fine is don't make or break a game. So, I can see the belief that sense there is no loyalty to devs from the vast majority of consumers as they'll happily buy a game thats been out for about two weeks for $55 instead of $60, why should they care about the supposed rights of the consumer? The difference between used games and used cars/DVD's/etc. is that games are in this sweet spot where there's evidence that used games are hurting the industry (YMMV) and the price point of new versus used is enough that is could impact a buying decision, unlike a new vs used DVD.

I was skeptical that the hashtag campaign would do anything, but I don't get how you can continue to objectively dismiss the sheer number of articles written specifically about it. Not to mention the twitter messages from Sony (and some MS) higher-ups specifically referencing it. If that isn't traction I guess don't know what traction is.

98% of consumers couldn't pick a dev out of a lineup. The 2% of us who know what a Insomniac or a Double Fine is don't make or break a game. So, I can see the belief that sense there is no loyalty to devs from the vast majority of consumers as they'll happily buy a game thats been out for about two weeks for $55 instead of $60, why should they care about the supposed rights of the consumer? The difference between used games and used cars/DVD's/etc. is that games are in this sweet spot where there's evidence that used games are hurting the industry (YMMV) and the price point of new versus used is enough that is could impact a buying decision, unlike a new vs used DVD.

If only publishers had control over their own prices!

MogCakes

It really doesn't matter what devs think about whether or not used games are hurting the industry, if the methods they employ stomp on the rights of consumers as I quoted above then they deserve all the shit thrown at them. You want people to buy new? Give them incentive to buy new, not take away their ability to buy, resell and trade used copies. That's just fucking greedy.

Tacitus_

It really doesn't matter what devs think about whether or not used games are hurting the industry, if the methods they employ stomp on the rights of consumers as I quoted above then they deserve all the shit thrown at them. You want people to buy new? Give them incentive to buy new, not take away their ability to buy, resell and trade used copies. That's just fucking greedy.

Well everything they tried this gen to do that (DLC keys in new copies, online passes etc) was bitched at like the world was ending.

MasLegio

Banned
find the missing vital part

"The company has issued conflicting statements about whether installing a game on a second console would require a fee, or whether doing so would lock the game on the original console.
The company's latest statement still leaves questions.

We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One, but we have confirmed that we designed it to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail," the company said, with no elaboration, in a statement to CNN. "Beyond that we haven't confirmed any specific scenarios."

we designed it to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail,"

trade in and resell games at retail,"

retail,"

this more or less confirms that only selected retail stores will be able to activate and deactivate games a la the rumours from MCV.

I hope MS will be comfortable with being audited by the European Commission (again)

Money should go to the developer not retailers. Gamestop makes $1.4B in profits just from used games. They made $2.2B in profits 2012.

Sony hasnt't made a penny. If you add the profits of MS, Unbisoft, EA, Square, Capcom it is not the same as what gamestop makes every year.

Folks like Collin, Greg from IGN has spoken about this for years. Even in GT weekly podcast they spoke about it. Every one keeps saying that money should go the developer.

Right now, if they say any thing explicit people will get all rallied up that they are being paid by MS to act as their PR. So any one who doesnt support used games are simply not being very vocal.

yes, IGN makes me sick whenever they talk about used games. They are wined and dined by their friends in the industry. Off course they want that their friends they have among the game developers should get more money and not lose their jobs.

Top Bottom