• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN reports on Next-Gen Used Games Policy #PS4NoDRM; IGN and Giantbomb remain silent

Seik

Banned
ib3iAeB.png

cqkcU75.png

b8dXflF.png

*Ahem*

Lazy and unmeaningful you say...

Oh wow, I don't know who TB is but wow, he sounds like a fucking heavy douchy douchebag.

I'd be curious to know what he thinks is the best way to reach people then, FamousMortimer did it via Twitter and it's now on CNN, saying this just makes him sound awkward.

jediyoshi

Wait, isn't the Job Description for Patrick the "news guy"?

After all he did a fantastic job at advertising the new DF Kickstarter.

News gets posted here, wouldn't call GAF a news site either. How much did DF pay you for you to name drop their kickstarter? You realize you have to disclose your affiliations on GAF, right?

Takuya

Banned
IGN can't cover what each group thinks. They cover things game launches, features and bigger things that a wider audience will be interested in. They can't cover social issues like people who can't afford to buy video games new.

Gaming community is huge. There are 250 million consoles and 200+ handhelds sold every generation. Few thousand tweeters doesn't even add up to a percentage.
http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2013/04/05/microsoft-creative-director-on-always-online-deal-with-it

Vice

News gets posted here, wouldn't call GAF a news site either. How much did DF pay you for you to name drop their kickstarter? You realize you have to disclose your affiliations on GAF, right?

People in the media should have more transparency than regular people on Gaf. Someone reporting news who has a personal relationship with a company, and doesn't disclose it, is much worse than a private person who does.

I just finally have access to a non-GMail account. I don't own an XBox or a PS3. I do all my gaming on a PC and actually get involved in real issues in my real life, not worrying about "rights" that never existed in the first place.

Fair enough. But this is a videogame forum. It's not weird that people here care about videogames.

LTWood12

I'd like to know what you would honestly say is bigger.

Wasn't trying to be antagonistic, and I love your avatar btw. Most recent that comes to mind would be Operation Rainfall. Not saying this couldn't become bigger, but we've actually seen the goals of that movement come to fruition. It gave the US audience a chance to play one of the best RPGs in years.

But it's all subjective. It's good to see a group of people come together for the common good of the consumer. I just wish more focus would be put on publishers, as they are the ones at the heart of all this.

Psi

I just finally have access to a non-GMail account. I don't own an XBox or a PS3. I do all my gaming on a PC and actually get involved in real issues in my real life, not worrying about "rights" that never existed in the first place.

This is how civilization has improved itself over the centuries. By not worrying about rights that never existed in the first place.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Giantbomb did talk about it, it eventually turned into a conversation about the heat-death of the universe until Patrick interrupted them.

They're cynical about the whole thing, what a billion dollar publisher wants holds more sway than a thousand tweets from gamers who've proven time and time again that they won't boycott shit.

So if the gaming industry loses more and more money who will these billion dollar companies blame?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
From what I had read he was trying to direct people to a better forum than Twitter to have a discussion. He probably got frustrated by all the idiots who think Twitter is a good space to have a "debate". Consider all the knee jerk reactions we get here over every little thing.

I really, really, truly hate his stance on Twitter and I consider his opinion on the matter actually kind of dangerous. He continually tells people to not take Twitter seriously, which in the year of 2013 just can't be done, unless it is clear you are joking. Lest we forget what happened to Adam Orth.

Pyronite

That doesn't cut it. Not even close.

You need to have an article with the headline mentioning this topic. Giantbomb are clearly too close to this industry to actually do real reporting on this topic.

That's the reason why they don't involve themselves in this tantrum-throwing that people here pass off as something better?

If you don't like Microsoft or Sony's policy's, don't buy their systems. Don't expect everyone to agree with your viewpoints and not empathize with the reason they are implementing these systems.

That brings me to one other thing. You can disagree with their policies and not make them (and everyone else out) to be moneyhatted, selfish, greedy assholes - like you did in your post. Good job.

AHA-Lambda

They deserve to be called out. They have sounded like Microsoft shills on their past two podcasts. It's embarrassing to listen to.

This, I seriously expected better from them.

And damn, I've definitely lost respect for TB looking at those tweets above. That's just plain dickish.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
This (long as fuck) thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569593

is probably the best I can do for you.

Dont know who this Biscuit guy is but he rightfully got a smack down there by Adam.

Thanks for the links guys. It makes me uncomfortable when I have to rely on second hand sources.

Bish has me extremely curious about all of these juniors. I wish he would have made that post so i knew who were making honest arguments and who were viral marketing plants.

While many would find it cathartic to publicly excoriate them, it would be better if Bish just posts a generic announcement about the bans after they've been executed. This is of course predicated on the bans happening at all.

He's right in this case. None of this will amount to any significant change out of Sony or Microsoft. Particularly not since the ire isn't properly focused. Might want to try a #PUBLISHERSNoDRM so at least you'll be pointing the finger at the parties responsible for the changes from last generation to this one in terms of DRM.

this is such a sad post :(

Money should go to the developer not retailers. Gamestop makes $1.4B in profits just from used games. They made $2.2B in profits 2012.

Sony hasnt't made a penny. If you add the profits of MS, Unbisoft, EA, Square, Capcom it is not the same as what gamestop makes every year.

Folks like Collin, Greg from IGN has spoken about this for years. Even in GT weekly podcast they spoke about it. Every one keeps saying that money should go the developer.

Right now, if they say any thing explicit people will get all rallied up that they are being paid by MS to act as their PR. So any one who doesnt support used games are simply not being very vocal.

Uh..you do realize the same argument could be made against used book stores used car lots used clothing shops used furniture selling your DVD on eBay etc etc?

Courts have long decided right to distribute stops after first sale.

Kade

CNN isn't reporting on the policies, they're reporting on the reaction to the uncertainty surrounding them. It's all speculation and I imagine most people are favourable of reports on things set in stone or 100% out in the air as opposed to speculation or gamer/public reaction to it.

Kusagari

CNN isn't reporting on the policies, they're reporting on the reaction to the uncertainty surrounding them. It's all speculation and I imagine most people are favourable of reports on things set in stone or 100% out in the air as opposed to speculation or gamer/public reaction to it.

Are you saying that a major public reaction is not news?

Because if you are, you're wrong. It is far more newsworthy than 99.9% of the things IGN/Gamespot/etc cover.

sakipon

That's the reason why they don't involve themselves in this tantrum-throwing that people here pass off as something better?

If you don't like Microsoft or Sony's policy's, don't buy their systems. Don't expect everyone to agree with your viewpoints and not empathize with the reason they are implementing these systems.

That brings me to one other thing. You can disagree with their policies and not make them (and everyone else out) to be moneyhatted, selfish, greedy assholes - like you did in your post. Good job.

No-one is asking for journalists to agree. It's their job to report on current news, on social phenomenons, even if they personally disagree on the issue.

These websites are very unprofessional if they only publish stories on themes that they themselves personally lobby for.

Pyronite

Uh..you do realize the same argument could be made against used book stores used car lots used clothing shops used furniture selling your DVD on eBay etc etc?

Courts have long decided right to distribute stops after first sale.

Your argument is not related to his - he is arguing what is right, you are arguing the legality of resale.

Money should go to the developer not retailers. Gamestop makes $1.4B in profits just from used games. They made $2.2B in profits 2012.

Sony hasnt't made a penny. If you add the profits of MS, Unbisoft, EA, Square, Capcom it is not the same as what gamestop makes every year.

Folks like Collin, Greg from IGN has spoken about this for years. Even in GT weekly podcast they spoke about it. Every one keeps saying that money should go the developer.

Right now, if they say any thing explicit people will get all rallied up that they are being paid by MS to act as their PR. So any one who doesnt support used games are simply not being very vocal.

This is completely false. Gamestop posted a $269.7 million loss in 2012. In 2011 they had a profit of just 339.9 million. How in the hell could Gamestop be pulling in 2.2 billion dollars a year when the entire company is valued at 3.95 Billion?

Microsofts profits where effected by their 6.2 Billion dollar write off of aQuantive. Which had nothing to do with games. Microsoft is pulling in record sales.

It is also convenient that you left out Activision Blizzard who made 1.1 billion last year. Funny how Activision has been the most successful publisher this generation when they didn't go in on online passes. They seemed to have no problem with used game sales.

Also, saying that money should go to the developers is nobel and all, but publishers have no reason to give them a bigger cut. Increasing DRM empowers publishers, not developers. When music publishers colluded to artificially raise the price of CDs. That money did not trickle down to the musicians. It just lined the pockets of executives, who then patted themselves on the back in the form of big bonuses. They kept it up until they ran the whole industry aground and where forced to change their model.

Gamestop is not the giant boogey man that publishers want you to think it is. It is just the next speed bump on their way to their next record quarter.

Pyronite

No-one is asking for journalists to agree. It's their job to report on current news, on social phenomenons, even if they personally disagree on the issue.

These websites are very unprofessional if they only publish stories on themes that they themselves personally lobby for.

I like your viewpoint a lot more - they should absolutely report on what happens around the game industry. I'm sure they've mentioned it here and there (and the Navarro piece was one example), but that also begs the question of how much they're meant to represent the gaming community and not themselves.

I just get the feeling that people here will be unhappy with anything except advocacy.

If you think that's what people didn't like about the XBoxOne reveal, you're a wee bit disconnected.
I'm not even saying I'm not upset about the no used games and 24 hour online. I am. Therefore, if it stays as draconian as it sounds, I won't be buying an Xbone. I'm also willing to acknowledge those policies are likely not as bad as we believe they might be, and im willing to wait until E3 when we know more. THEN I will make my purchasing decision with the information available to me

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I like your viewpoint a lot more - they should absolutely report on what happens around the game industry. I'm sure they've mentioned it here and there (and the Navarro piece was one example), but that also begs the question of how much they're meant to represent the gaming community and not themselves.

I just get the feeling that people here will be unhappy with anything except advocacy.

I don't think that's true. The CNN article isn't advocating support for the cause. It's just reporting. It even provides the counter argument of Ben Kuchera at the end, and as much as I despise his opinion, it's in there and it's fine.

Pyronite

This is completely false. Gamestop posted a $269.7 million loss in 2012. In 2011 they had a profit of just 339.9 million. How in the hell could Gamestop be pulling in 2.2 billion dollars a year when the entire company is valued at 3.95 Billion?

These two things have nothing to do with each other and I don't know why you think they would. Bad logic.

Actual SEC filings:
actual-gamestop-figures-2009-2012.png

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/193088/Partys_almost_over_for_GameStops_used_games_business.php

The rest of your arguments are spurious as well.

Fair enough. But this is a videogame forum. It's not weird that people here care about videogames.

It's fine if you care about video games. It's fine to send out 8 million tweets with hashtags. It's fine to hate the rumored policy on used games for the new consoles. It's not fine to attack peoples integrity with no proof simply because they made a different decision on what to cover or because their opinion on a console reveal isn't as strident as yours.

Heck, you've got people acting like the guys on GB or IGN were saying the idea of no used games were wonderful when in fact, they simply didn't act like it wasn't the end of the world like some people on here have.

jediyoshi

Are you saying that a major public reaction is not news?

Because if you are, you're wrong. It is far more newsworthy than 99.9% of the things IGN/Gamespot/etc cover.

This would be a sound hypothesis if the word 'news' were even contained in his post. What is news to you?

Top Bottom