• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN reports on Next-Gen Used Games Policy #PS4NoDRM; IGN and Giantbomb remain silent

It's hard to really report on something when the details are still up in the air. meh.

Microsoft's EXECUTIVES. The guys in charge of the Xbox division. They said a bunch of things last week, and all of it related to consumers losing rights they've had in the gaming world for decades now. They want to change the rules we've all been playing by.

They said the console needs to check in with their servers every 24 hours.

They said used games won't work like they used to, and others will have to pay a "fee" if they put your disc in another console.

Because people got so upset at their bullshit power grab, Microsoft later claimed "we haven't settled any of this", but that's just them trying to put the cat back in the bag after they let it out. That doesn't mean we should all just shut up and let them get their story straight. We're letting them know how unhappy we are with their power grab, and hopeful they might back down from it.

antitrop

This turned into "Examples Why TotalBiscuit Is A Douchebag Part 2", but I can't say I don't understand why the conversation will always shift that way when his tweets get posted.

They're absurd.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It's hard to really report on something when the details are still up in the air. meh.

That was pretty much the opinion I heard on the bombcast, although Patrick does acknowledge that there is a certain logic in going apeshit lest the platform holders think they can massage the situation to get what they want

Slayven

Wow, what's wrong with this guy? Is he sour because he isn't the center of attention here or something? Famousmortimer clearly sparked this movement with his thread and it gained a lot of traction. Deal with it, TB. It's not you, it was someone else.

Internet celebrity.

The developers already got their money, when the game was bought new. Why are they entitled to any profits from anything beyond the first sale? Gamestop is hated as some evil leech, but the developers don't operate and staff a chain of retail stores dedicated to gaming that does a lot to push sales of new games.

Killing the entire used market doesn't suddenly solve the industry's inefficiency and horrible management.

Don't worry, they'll blame iOS/Android games and consumers waiting for sales next.

Lombax

Banned
ib3iAeB.png

cqkcU75.png

b8dXflF.png

*Ahem*

Lazy and unmeaningful you say...

that whole chain made me sad. WTF TB.

Shai-Tan

Banned
This turned into "Examples Why TotalBiscuit Is A Douchebag Part 2", but I can't say I don't understand why the conversation will always shift that way when his tweets get posted.

They're absurd.

From what I had read he was trying to direct people to a better forum than Twitter to have a discussion. He probably got frustrated by all the idiots who think Twitter is a good space to have a "debate". Consider all the knee jerk reactions we get here over every little thing.

antitrop

From what I had read he was trying to direct people to a better forum than Twitter to have a discussion. He probably got frustrated by all the idiots who think Twitter is a good space to have a "debate". Consider all the knee jerk reactions we get here over every little thing.
He brings that up all the time and really doesn't have a leg to stand on considering the amount of fucking time he spends on Twitter every day.

Seriously, follow him. The dude tweets like every couple of minutes. He's completely obsessed with Twitter and well beyond just as a "necessary evil".

It's interesting that so many people are suddenly surprised by TB.

They're absurd.
We should just ignore him. His tweets/comments always derail every thread.

Mononoke

Banned

They're absurd.

I feel bad for posting it. Didn't mean to derail the topic. :/

I saw someone asking, and still had this from that other thread. Won't happen again (Edit: I mean saying something off topic in a thread).

They deserve to be called out. They have sounded like Microsoft shills on their past two podcasts. It's embarrassing to listen to.

Why? Because they do not share your views on this? They don't have to. I like what MS is showing so far with the XB1, and eagerly await E3 for both Sony and MS. Does that make me a MS shill as well? Absolutely ridiculous the amount of hyperbole that gets slung around here. smh

Sorry to break from the tb topic but i want to clarify what i think is the biggest misconception of what we did. The hashtag was to help find other posts but the main point for us to tweet directly at actual humans in sony. I listed all of the high level sony exec twitter accounts that i knew of and others added more they found and we tweeted at them personal reasons why we were against it.

In turn they responded. Their response prompted over 175 media outlets in 20 languages to pick up the story and now it's a big thing. #ps4noDRM is basically the slogan of this thing but it was less about the hashtag and more about targeting people that was successful. And that's also why the media caught on.

Odrion

Banned
Giantbomb did talk about it, it eventually turned into a conversation about the heat-death of the universe until Patrick interrupted them.

They're cynical about the whole thing, what a billion dollar publisher wants holds more sway than a thousand tweets from gamers who've proven time and time again that they won't boycott shit.

Kusagari

IGN is pathetic.

They're the biggest gaming news site and they can't devote a front page article to probably the biggest grassroots movement in gaming we've ever seen.

Darklord

Banned
What are you talking about? I just listened to this conversation yesterday. Vinny went on a rant about how Gamestop rips people off, etc. He basically gave the publishers statement on this topic word for word. Not one guy on the podcast spoke up and suggested he might wrong about that.

When these guys criticize this stuff it's only in the most subtle of ways, but their general message has been one of approval for all of Microsoft's big changes coming with the new Xbox. Very little has been questioned.

You clearly haven't been listening to their other discussions then. Jeff has been most vocal on MS very easily fucking that console up. Patrick was also explaining reasons why there are benefits of trading in games.

Just because everyone didn't go "SHUT THE FUCK UP, VINNY!" because he was voicing his opinion they're shills? Talk about hyperbole.

Why? Because they do not share your views on this? They don't have to. I like what MS is showing so far with the XB1, and eagerly await E3 for both Sony and MS. Does that make me a MS shill as well? Absolutely ridiculous the amount of hyperbole that gets slung around here. smh

If you don't automatically believe that the possibility of not being able to get used games is the most important topic in the world or if you work at a game site and aren't spending 24 hours a day hounding MS or Sony about this despite getting the same non-answers repeatedly, then you're a shilly shill who hates consumers and secretly visits Steve Ballmer to give him a blowjob weekly.

That doesn't cut it. Not even close.

You need to have an article with the headline mentioning this topic. Giantbomb are clearly too close to this industry to actually do real reporting on this topic.

They deserve to be called out. They have sounded like Microsoft shills on their past two podcasts. It's embarrassing to listen to.
Really? They deserve to be called out? Why? Because they are just talking about the features microsoft showed off,and making dumb jokes about it like they usually do, and not freaking out and going, "OMGZ NO GAMEZ" like the rest of the internet?

I seriously question why anyone would be on this site if things like used games policies aren't important to you.

I have way more important things to worry about. Used games, that I do not buy ever, do not concern me in the least. I don't care if it is important to you or not either. I only care if it is good for my situation, and it is.

And I like coming here for the discussions, usually just lurking though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Really? They deserve to be called out? Why? Because they are just talking about the features microsoft showed off,and making dumb jokes about it like they usually do, and not freaking out and going, "OMGZ NO GAMEZ" like the rest of the internet?

If you think that's what people didn't like about the XBoxOne reveal, you're a wee bit disconnected.

Mononoke

Banned
IGN is pathetic.

They're the biggest gaming news site and they can't devote a front page article to probably the biggest grassroots movement in gaming we've ever seen.

Yeah see, this is what I find questionable. No one is saying these sites have to agree with the campaign. But how can they not cover it (or cover it better). I dunno.

Seems like better news than "Joe Scarborough says men in their 20s are gamers and umarriable".

antitrop

IGN is pathetic.

It really, really is.

What's the point of calling yourself a games journalist if you're not even going to cover a major topic because you don't personally feel it's worthy or that it's completely pointless.

At least in that case write a coherent article explaining why you disagree, but ignoring it altogether is just plain lazy.

LTWood12

IGN is pathetic.

IGN should definitely have had an article up by now, but I'd hardly call this the 'biggest grassroot movement in gaming history.'

Bish has me extremely curious about all of these juniors. I wish he would have made that post so i knew who were making honest arguments and who were viral marketing plants.

Woo-Fu

Banned
but totalbiscuit said twitter campaigns were a waste of time and don't actually contribute anything at all

He's right in this case. None of this will amount to any significant change out of Sony or Microsoft. Particularly not since the ire isn't properly focused. Might want to try a #PUBLISHERSNoDRM so at least you'll be pointing the finger at the parties responsible for the changes from last generation to this one in terms of DRM.

Wazzy

Banned
I have way more important things to worry about. Used games, that I do not buy ever, do not concern me in the least. I don't care if it is important to you or not either. I only care if it is good for my situation, and it is.

And I like coming here for the discussions, usually just lurking though.

Used games aren't important to me either and yet I can see that the policy against them is ridiculous.

coldone

IGN can't cover what each group thinks. They cover things game launches, features and bigger things that a wider audience will be interested in. They can't cover social issues like people who can't afford to buy video games new.

Gaming community is huge. There are 250 million consoles and 200+ handhelds sold every generation. Few thousand tweeters doesn't even add up to a percentage.

IGN should definitely have had an article up by now, but I'd hardly call this the 'biggest grassroot movement in gaming history.'

I'd like to know what you would honestly say is bigger.

Operation rainfall probably had more numbers over time. The quickness of what we did plus the unprecedented media coverage is what has been special about what we are doing.

Phase 2 is on Wednesday, btw... If people would still like to contribute.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
There has been a curious disconnect on this issue versus how most everything else is treated in games media.

The usual practice of reporting on a subject in games media is:

-Get the story out there as quickly as possible, even before all the facts are in, and make updates or corrections to the story later.
-If a rumor is going around that has any shred of believability, report on it while making clear that it is a rumor.
-If an unnamed source is giving an outlet exclusive info, give that info up front and run with the story as if it were fact, while leaving enough wiggle room for the benefit of the doubt.
-If a company representative says something, run with it and give them no benefit of the doubt. Follow-up articles and analysis articles are good to go.

Yet, when it comes to Microsoft's used games and always-online policy, the operating policy has largely been (as explained by many on this board who claim to be games journalists and the coverage from most gaming sites):

-Despite all of this information coming straight from high-level MS employees, let's not report on these things as fact or do any additional probing to find out what really might be going on here.
-Treat these conflicting official statements as rumors and speculation, but let's not do any follow up or analysis articles on what impacts these various proposals might have on the industry at large. At most, we'll write something about how poorly coordinated the messaging was from MS, yet completely ignore the content of what was said (despite the fact that these policies would directly impact tens of millions of gamers!)
-Just maintain silence until Microsoft chooses to talk about it again.

This issue is huge. If MS were to go through with much of what they claimed they would, it would represent the largest shift in the console gaming industry in several years. If ANY issue deserved intense analysis on unconfirmed data (let alone that the information WAS confirmed and came from on-the-record public MS employee statements until they contradicted themselves so much), it would be this one. Requiring an online connection for a games console and restricting lending or reselling of physical copies of games would directly affect tens of millions of game consumers, and yet this issue apparently isn't worth discussing to most games media outlets?

I could see not reporting on the Twitter campaign, but to see wholesale silence on this issue from most games media outlets is inexcusable.

When a decent yet respected journalism outfit such as CNN sees it is fit to accurately report on the state of this issue (despite the fact that CNN has little interest in videogames and famously thought the Wii U Gamepad was an add-on to the original Wii), shouldn't that clue every single games journalism outfit into the fact that this is a big issue and that it is totally fair game to cover and discuss?

antitrop

This just proves that IGN has more journalistic integrity than all of those media outlets, including NBC and CNN.
Sometimes I have to wonder what day-to-day life is like at the IGN offices.

How can one office building be so fucking out in la-la land ALL THE TIME?

Bish has me extremely curious about all of these juniors. I wish he would have made that post so i knew who were making honest arguments and who were viral marketing plants.

I just finally have access to a non-GMail account. I don't own an XBox or a PS3. I do all my gaming on a PC and actually get involved in real issues in my real life, not worrying about "rights" that never existed in the first place.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
IGN can't cover what each group thinks. They cover things game launches, features and bigger things that a wider audience will be interested in. They can't cover social issues like people who can't afford to buy video games new.

Gaming community is huge. There are 250 million consoles and 200+ handhelds sold every generation. Few thousand tweeters doesn't even add up to a percentage.

*shrug*

CNN did. NBC did. Kotaku did. I'm pretty sure IGN can, too. But maybe you're right. Wouldn't want to inundate them with too much work.

Just because I am a junior member, not sure if you were necessarily talking about me pr not, doesn't mean anything.

I just happen to like what MS is showing so far. Even if I didn't though, I would not get up on a soap box and start yelling at the top of my lungs the most hyperbolic shit about it. It is not important one way or another to me. As I said, I have way more important things to worry about than used games that I don't buy ever.

Top Bottom