• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN reports on Next-Gen Used Games Policy #PS4NoDRM; IGN and Giantbomb remain silent

MogCakes

Well everything they tried this gen to do that (DLC keys in new copies, online passes etc) was bitched at like the world was ending.

They were bitched at yeah, but the huge difference is that those things don't go as far as limiting the vendors that you can buy/sell/trade from, or forcing you to pay a fee just to play a used game. That's the line being drawn.

EDIT: I misfired a bit, sorry. Honestly it comes down to publishers budgeting correctly and not trying to chase CoD numbers, but that's not our problem, that's theirs. They can't blame their bad business decisions on the consumers.

Why would Giantbomb report on this? Giantbomb isn't a Gamespot/Polygon. Have you ever visited the website before?

This x10000. The site is much more focused on games rather than lame-ass filler stories that are mostly clickbait. I'm not saying this isn't worth talking about, but it isn't worth calling them out for it, because there isn't anything to call out. A Twitter campaign is barely news, and I'd much rather they spend their time doing video content - a sentiment they agree with, because they know their audience.

Also, saying they have an agenda is ludicrous, unless that agenda is providing entertainment on their website.

marrec

Banned
Had to stop in to :lol at the title of this thread.

Glad to see this idea squirting out to parts of the mainstream though.

Yeah not sure why you are calling out GB here. They talked about the issue on the podcast which is easily has the most reach from anything they put out. Saying they have been silent when they have discussed the issue in detail is a little much.

I think you just want them to write a story about it because a text story is a easier tool to use to promote this campaign to keep gaming stuck in 1999. Heck Jeff has even talked openly about how they get pretty low traffic on the written stuff and the podcast is listen by people who have never even visited the site.

MrDaravon

I understand the concern of IGN ignoring the story, but I don't think GB actually gets as much traffic on-site as they'd like. The Bombcast is the main draw of that site.

Yeah, I'm a little baffled at this. I have to imagine an overwhelming majority of anyone who actually goes to that site also (or only goes there to) listens to the Bombcast, where this was discussed at length. Most of the text stuff that goes up on the site is features, we could probably put together a list of a million new items that have happened in the last year that they didn't put up on the site in text form. Trying to call them out specifically on this seems weird. I understand that people feel passionately about this, but it gets weird when it feels like you are desperately pushing an agenda, which this title is.

This x10000. The site is much more focused on games rather than lame-ass filler stories that are mostly clickbait. I'm not saying this isn't worth talking about, but it isn't worth calling them out for it, because there isn't anything to call out. A Twitter campaign is barely news, and I'd much rather they spend their time doing video content - a sentiment they agree with, because they know their audience.

Also, saying they have an agenda is ludicrous, unless that agenda is providing entertainment on their website.

They've also addressed the issue multiple times on the Bombcast.

MogCakes

to keep gaming stuck in 1999
Yeah no. Everyone knows digital-only is coming, but we'd rather let physical die without being told we aren't allowed First Sale Doctrine "because digital is coming so you won't need it anyway" (and when it comes to digital and buy/sell, it's a whole other can of worms and worth looking into on what the EU ruled for it)

Salaadin

Yeah not sure why you are calling out GB here. They talked about the issue on the podcast which is easily has the most reach from anything they put out. Saying they have been silent when they have discussed the issue in detail is a little much.

I think you just want them to write a story about it because a text story is a easier tool to use to promote this campaign to keep gaming stuck in 1999. Heck Jeff has even talked openly about how they get pretty low traffic on the written stuff and the podcast is listen by people who have never even visited the site.

Campaign to keep gaming stuck in 1999?

Tacitus_

They were bitched at yeah, but the huge difference is that those things don't go as far as limiting the vendors that you can buy/sell/trade from, or forcing you to pay a fee just to play a used game. That's the line being drawn.

EDIT: I misfired a bit, sorry. Honestly it comes down to publishers budgeting correctly and not trying to chase CoD numbers, but that's not our problem, that's theirs. They can't blame their bad business decisions on the consumers.

Yeah, the devs shouldn't try to chase CoD numbers, but I have a feeling that they went all-in just because there would be negative PR anyway and --- let's be honest, we are a small percentage of the market. (and personally, I game on PC so I haven't been able to trade my used games for about a decade now)

ascii42

What?

unbias

98% of consumers couldn't pick a dev out of a lineup. The 2% of us who know what a Insomniac or a Double Fine is don't make or break a game. So, I can see the belief that sense there is no loyalty to devs from the vast majority of consumers as they'll happily buy a game thats been out for about two weeks for $55 instead of $60, why should they care about the supposed rights of the consumer? The difference between used games and used cars/DVD's/etc. is that games are in this sweet spot where there's evidence that used games are hurting the industry (YMMV) and the price point of new versus used is enough that is could impact a buying decision, unlike a new vs used DVD.

It isnt about rights of consumer, it is because of cost. The game industry wont be able to match the value adjustments that used games have. Getting rid of the 2nd hand sales is essentially implying that the console market is inelastic. With the rise of tablet and cell phone, combines with PC getting cheaper(FTP, MMO's, Facebook games, and ect) the idea that the uninformed consumer doesnt care about how much it costs them is silly. IF you think that the only people buying used are those buying for $55 instead of 60... Well fine, believe what you want, but the 2nd hand market doesn't work like that. It isn't just 55 or 60, it is $55 plus trade in, liquidity+disposable income is the whole equation, you are only giving part. The only way your argument would work is if the 2nd hand game market wasnt a 2 billion+ industry.

jediyoshi

We all knew IGN were nothing but PR pawns, but GiantBomb jumping the shark is just sad.

Gotta clarify here, are they actively jumping the shark by not proactively doing a thing? If they made a post with a link to this thread, what percentage of shark will they have unjumped?

So, what's with these juniors?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60276093&postcount=352

image.php
Holy shit, I knew some of the pro-corporate stuff being spewed was a bit insane, but I thought that was just idiots being idiots.

Hope he does out them, there's been enough distrust around this place as it is without knowing that.

Oh, GuardianE is the OP of the thread?

That explains why GB is in the topic name, really.

They're basically been the opposite of silent, they just don't write neat articles for him to search and link to

Averon

Let's say the industry get their wish and restricts/gets a cut of used game sales and nothing drastic changes. Studios are still closing. Publishers are still squeezed for revenue. What will be the next scape goat? What else can they blame to avoid responsibility?

blackflag

I've never even been to their site...not even once...so Jeff is probably right. I listen every week though.

I know it's frowned upon to point out Junior Membership, but my curiosity is certainly piqued by all these new accounts so favorable towards such policies...

werd.

Feel like people complaining about lack of GB coverage should listen to this weeks podcast. OH WAIT! The ppl complaining probably don't consume much GB content in the first place.

Apath

Well everything they tried this gen to do that (DLC keys in new copies, online passes etc) was bitched at like the world was ending.

I am perfectly okay with DLC keys being in new copies, as long as it's for future content. For example, Battlefield 3 giving access to the Back to Karkand expansion for people who bought one of the first few runs (I believe that's all the LE was) was a great move. The online pass, however, was horrible.
How deep does the rabbit hole go. Microsoft and Sony basically infiltrated GAF, right?

Goes without question.

I know it's frowned upon to point out Junior Membership, but my curiosity is certainly piqued by all these new accounts so favorable towards such policies...
It's the one's that are good at their job that you have to watch out for; how would you even know?

I don't think anyone would realistically be interested in restricting their own consumer rights.

What? Is Giantbomb supposed to Quick Look this or something? What do you expect from them. I respect their "wait until we have all the information" stance.

jediyoshi

Goes without question.

People are seemingly coy about calling others out directly, especially for something that's such a given. What if OP is a Nintendo rep spreading FUD? Who's there to ask the real questions that actually affect us directly.

ReaperXL7

How deep does the rabbit hole go. Microsoft and Sony basically infiltrated GAF, right?

Well Shahid has an account now, Boyes says he reads Gaf daily, you have Shane who works for Sony now, and i believe a few devs from ND post here aswell. So Sony is deff infiltrating the GAF :p

Really all we need is to get Kaz, and Shuhei to sign up.

It isnt about rights of consumer, it is because of cost. The game industry wont be able to match the value adjustments that used games have. Getting rid of the 2nd hand sales is essentially implying that the console market is inelastic. With the rise of tablet and cell phone, combines with PC getting cheaper(FTP, MMO's, Facebook games, and ect) the idea that the uninformed consumer doesnt care about how much it costs them is silly. IF you think that the only people buying used are those buying for $55 instead of 60... Well fine, believe what you want, but the 2nd hand market doesn't work like that. It isn't just 55 or 60, it is $55 plus trade in, liquidity+disposable income is the whole equation, you are only giving part. The only way your argument would work is if the 2nd hand game market wasnt a 2 billion+ industry.

Yep, any publisher that actually believes that they'll be making more money with used sales gone is in for a very rude awakening.

IrishNinja

damn, i want bish to do some digging, so bad.
also what are the details for phase 2 on wednesday? count me in.

Holy shit these new juniors have a really aligned opinion, lol

some of em, yeah...i didn't wanna say it but bish's hint back there shouldn't surprise anyone, there's a wave of anti-consumer/dismissive posts from some of that lot. try these winners here:

I have way more important things to worry about. Used games, that I do not buy ever, do not concern me in the least. I don't care if it is important to you or not either. I only care if it is good for my situation, and it is.

DRM is about #678,157 on the list of important things to worry about in the world.

an excellent fallacy to employ on a dedicated video game discussion forum, masterfully done and highly relevant as well

I think you just want them to write a story about it because a text story is a easier tool to use to promote this campaign to keep gaming stuck in 1999.

gaming in '99 as a pejorative now, that's a first around here for me

Who is total biscuit and why is his opinion relevant?

having spent a few minutes asking myself this at first too, lemme save you some time: he's a nobody and he isn't relevant. i thought he was a gaffer at first but he's not even interesting enough for that.

OF course GiantBomb aint covering the story.

They are cowering in fear of upsetting developers and the M$ Overlords like all the other game journalists out there.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

They're basically been the opposite of silent, they just don't write neat articles for him to search and link to

lol, who are you? Your post makes it abundantly clear that you didn't even read the OP.

And since when is quoting articles a bad thing? I didn't even know I had that reputation.

But that's Patrick's job at the site. And he's done good journalism in the past (see IW fallout) and on the site too. Having it on the podcast is fine but a written article IMO is to be expected. Just look at the other news articles on the site. To do nothing for both GB and IGN is odd. Even if they're doing their own indepth article later.

Pyronite

Total Biscuit is a total idiot.

I love that this is an accepted response for someone who had something to lose putting up 27 minutes of reasoned dialogue regarding his personal feelings.

I understand the concern of IGN ignoring the story, but I don't think GB actually gets as much traffic on-site as they'd like. The Bombcast is the main draw of that site.

As someone who has never listened to a BombCast, and thought it was something they started up just a few months ago, I disagree.

I love that this is an accepted response for someone who had something to lose putting up 27 minutes of reasoned dialogue regarding his personal feelings.

While some people certainly didn't like what he had to say, it was his complete dismissal of other's "personal feelings" and accusations that lending a friend a copy of a game is piracy that make people REALLY upset at him (and justifiably so).

That's the reason why they don't involve themselves in this tantrum-throwing that people here pass off as something better?

If you don't like Microsoft or Sony's policy's, don't buy their systems. Don't expect everyone to agree with your viewpoints and not empathize with the reason they are implementing these systems.

That brings me to one other thing. You can disagree with their policies and not make them (and everyone else out) to be moneyhatted, selfish, greedy assholes - like you did in your post. Good job.

I never inferred they were "moneyhatted". Ever. I'm not silly like that.

When I said "they're too close to the industry", I meant in the sense that they have friends and co-workers in the industry, and thus they largely reflect the opinions of the industry insiders.

Both groups talked about it.

Just because they aren't in favor of it doesn't makes them the devil.

people have opinions.

I want this campaign to succeed too but cmon guys...not everyone has to be behind it.

Let them do them.

(also calling someone a shill or that they got paid off because they don't agree with you...is really fucking lame.)

Top Bottom