• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

viveks86

They've console banned 360s. I don't recall it being for anything minor though, more to stop hacked systems.

I see. Thanks! I guess this further strengthens my case. So this ban could indeed be a result of wanting to block all exposure so that they can control how the message goes out.

Uh oh. I don't know what to think anymore. Carry on, folks! I'm going to shut up and watch the world burn :D

I'd wait until the console is released before getting too worried about this. But it is so surreal the amount of control MS has over each Xbox One, there is a dude at home with a console who literally can't play it because MS said so!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
You could play a console banned 360 offline, so that excuse doesn't fly.

Besides, isn't it sorta silly paying $500 for a video game console that can't even play games straight out of the box.

He doesn't have the final update

It was in the eqrly hours of yesterday when he was banned, so at least 24hrs had passed since then. Maybe he didn't notice before because he has doing whatever he does on sundays, got home, turned onthe Xbox and voila, no more access to it.

So no explanation at all?
At least there should be a message on the TV reminding you to connect to the internet for 24hour check in.

ibcj5ed3cnIZEl.gif

Mononoke

Banned
Oh come on.

Actually, it's a good point. I mean, isn't really up to the devs to decide whether they want it to have a connection or not? MS or Sony doesn't dictate that to them (or at least, they said they would't).

That said, offline is already confirmed for PS4. And there is no reason why they would do that for PS4 and not Xbox One. So I definitely think this is nothing. Seems like MS was able to just outright...de-activate his console all together. It doesn't entirely make sense to me given he's offline. But maybe the patch he downloaded was incomplete, thereof re it allows them to still do that.

mozfan12

Banned
Yep, this thread is going to explode. If it's game to game DRM, fuck that, I'm out. It's just as bad as the system wide DRM.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
They did? Even for offline play?

I just checked and the penalties are:

Banned 360:
* Cannot go on Xbox Live
* Cannot install games to the HDD
* Cannot use Windows Media Centre extender
* Cannot be used to get achievements from backups without corrupting your profile

source

So, locking online play would definitely be new territory, but not unfeasible.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So it looks like it works on a game to game basis! I wonder what other publishers will use this?

This is what CBOAT responded to:

Imagine if online authentication was deactivated at the OS level, but was still possible from game to game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is why you shouldn't support this half baked HW right now. No direction. Nothing more to say, it's a sad situation right now.

There is nothing they can say that will validate why he can't boot up COD ghost for offline play.

This is bullshit

I am receiving this shit next friday and i thought this was not an issue anymore.

f0lken

Yes, this is what I can't understand when people keep mentioning this. The patch was to remove the DRM and enable offline play (which he did for a while) so why is it now not able to do what he did yesterday? If the patch removed the DRM then it should have also removed the 24 hour check in, surely. Why the hell would MS not include the 24 hour check in on the same patch that allowed him to play offline?

Because we don't know what that patch he downloaded includes, lets say the 180 never happened and the DRM policy was still active, Moonlight set up his Xbox in the exact same way MS intended, took it our of the box, configured online and started playing, if he was to take his xbox to some place without internet it would need to have 24hrs passed before he was locked out of using his Xbox. That was the original plan for the One and we are likely seeing what it could have been.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What cboat said is pretty much common sense. Games can obviously restrict offline access if they choose, and you can choose to avoid them. The icon being on the ps4 box should note that there will be cases where said icon is not present, meaning it's up the developers.

hawk2025

This is why you shouldn't support this half baked HW right now. No direction. Nothing more to say, it's a sad situation right now.

You obviously know a decent bit about the PS4, but are you also implying you know something about what's going on here that we are not aware of with the X1?

elcapitan

Guess games are gonna have to be patched individually to disable the DRM. There's not a whole lot of time left to sort out that firmware.

Mononoke

Banned
So it looks like it works on a game to game basis! I wonder what other publishers will use this?

So why did they allow it for PS4 but not Xbox One? I don't get it. I mean, I do understand why some companies would push for this, and why MS wouldn't tell them no (since they want the Publisher to have a say over their own content).

Is this a case where..perhaps Activision pushed for it on Xbox One and MS didn't object. But maybe they also pushed it on PS4, and Sony said no?

MS bricked consoles this gen too, so... not really. Just don't do stupid shit that gets you banned?

You could still play games offline even if you got banned on the 360 and Larry did say in an old video interview while defending the old policies that if you got banned on the XBox One you could still play offline.

sja_626

I think it's probably safe to say it's a side effect of the specific type of ban placed on his console. The 24 hour check-in thing would have been removed long ago. And even if it wasn't, it certainly wouldn't lock you out of settings. What if your Wi-Fi password expired and the 24 hour timer lapsed before you could go into the system settings and change it? Console bricked forever? I doubt it.

Top Bottom