• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coffee |OT| Taste as good as it smells

I know I probably shouldnt, but I actually don't mind Tim Hortons' original blend*. It even has a decent taste to it.

* I'm a Michigander, dammit! We don't drink that Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts like those coastal elites do, always go for some nice Timmy's like a real Michigander.

Just got back from 2 weeks in Italy and am now even more spoiled on good cheap coffee, this following on the heels of figuring out how to roast our own beans and it is tough to drink office and Keurig coffee.

Nesco 800w roaster. Roast about 4oz in 15 minutes usually, Loudish but very little smell so can be used in the kitchen.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
So we've been making cold brews for awhile now, and I just wanted to share my favorite kind of bean.

Lavazza Super Crema Espresso. As a cold brew, with soy milk, for me... it's heavenly. Smells amazing, and tastes as good as it smells :eek:

That is all.

Funny enough I was literally just coming in here to ask peoples methods of making cold brew as I was about to start doing this at work and home. One person just told me cheese cloth and grounds in a pitcher for 24hrs and add water when serving.

What do you guys do for cold brew?

Plan on using some of the philz beans we've got.

I know I probably shouldnt, but I actually don't mind Tim Hortons' original blend*. It even has a decent taste to it.

* I'm a Michigander, dammit! We don't drink that Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts like those coastal elites do, always go for some nice Timmy's like a real Michigander.

Where in Michigan? There are some great roasters/coffee shops here!

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
We have a cold brew pitcher. Looks like this:

Grind up beans, fill carafe. Leave in fridge 24 to 48 hours, or leave out on the counter overnight.

I drink my coldbrew without diluting it with water, mostly because I add in soymilk and that dilutes pretty well given the water content. I also drink it concentrated, because I really like caffeine.

Now THAT looks fancy. Primula brand? Kinda hard to make out. Wire mesh hard to clean or let grinds through every so often? Also, what size is that?

Sorry for the flood of questions, just looks like a much simpler version of what I was going to try.

Hey guys, does anyone have an recommendations for whole bean coffee on Amazon? I just ran out and am looking to explore. I love dark roast but can also drink medium.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I normally use a Chemex or v60 for my coffee brewing, but I was looking at getting an actual coffee maker. Does anyone here use or used a Moccamaster, and are they worth it?

nin1000

Banned
I have tried to make cold brewed coffee last week and I was very happy with the result.
I used a bowl but was looking into buying a dripster for the next batch.
Does someone have any experience with the dripster or could me suggest other cold brewers that are better ?

Thanks in advance coffeeGAF

I have tried to make cold brewed coffee last week and I was very happy with the result.
Does someone have any experience with the dripster or could me suggest other cold brewers that are better ?

We have two mizudashi, love them. One is in my office refrigerator, I usually start a batch on Monday then have a few afternoons in the week.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I7JKAQ0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So has anyone here used an American press? Looks interesting.
Oh wow it looks amazing. Nothing seemed like a true upgrade over French press while remaining as practical until this. This looks like the next-level everyday dependable convenient thing.

NewFresh

I normally use a Chemex or v60 for my coffee brewing, but I was looking at getting an actual coffee maker. Does anyone here use or used a Moccamaster, and are they worth it?
Have a Mochamaster and I love it. Is it worth $329? I'm not sure. I ended up getting mine for little under 200 on clearance from Starbucks and felt fine with it.

Best coffee maker I've tired and I went through pretty much all SCAA approved makers. With the exception of the Bunn rapid brew coffee maker.

kendrid

Banned
Just got back from 2 weeks in Italy and am now even more spoiled on good cheap coffee, this following on the heels of figuring out how to roast our own beans and it is tough to drink office and Keurig coffee.

I am new to this thread and I laughed at this. I've owned an Aeropress for years but I've also used a Keurig at home just for the convenience. I bought my wife a Ninja to try to get her into better coffee and once she used it she didn't want to use the Keurig anymore. Neither of us wanted finish the 30+ k cups we had left so I end up giving them away with the machine.

I've actually stopped using the Aeropress since getting the Ninja. I should do a blind test sometime but the Ninja isn't bad.

Edit and big LOL: After posting I searched for Ninja and found a post of mine in this thread. I guess I have post here. I have the CF112.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Have a Mochamaster and I love it. Is it worth $329? I'm not sure. I ended up getting mine for little under 200 on clearance from Starbucks and felt fine with it.

Best coffee maker I've tired and I went through pretty much all SCAA approved makers. With the exception of the Bunn rapid brew coffee maker.

I did a bit of research on this, and consensus is that it's really great and well built. Considering I'm partial to pour over brew methods, this seems like the right buy. Plus I have an amazon gift card to knock the price down a bit. Now to decide on what color to get....

Joe

I finally gave my Hario Mizudashi coldbrew pot a go after buying it months ago. It's pretty awesome.

The ratio needs to adjusted...I used 80g coffee and ~900ml water...it ended up pretty strong and a little bitter (might be the beans) but the taste overall is still great and the coffee is smooth.

I think I'm going to be using this a lot.

NewFresh

Been trying some of the selection from La Colombe
https://www.lacolombe.com/

They were featured on Consumer Reports and while I don't particularly care for their reviews I figured it warranted a try. Their Drafts in a can are decent but overpriced. Their Coffee comes in at around $15/12oz. I have been drinking their Ethiopian and ordered the Guatemala and Haiti varieties as well. (They had a buy two get one free promotion)

Surprisingly crisp. All of these are on the lighter side and honestly a bit too light for me but still really good.

Id recommend them for people who enjoy things like Starbucks blonde roast.

danowat

Banned
UK GAF, beans, talk to me.

Has anyone found a good all rounder?, I've tried Taylors, not complex enough, almost tastes like instant, Lavazza espresso, which seems to make a good americano, but doesn't have enough depth for espresso, and Modern Standard Momentum, which is probably the nicest, at least for espresso, flavour is really nice, but it looses it when diluted.

Is there such a thing as a good all rounder?, or do I need specific beans for different coffees?, any suggestions on the best beans for espresso and americano?

Can anyone recommend a good light roast coffee? I've tried Starbuck Vernanda and Caribou light and they aren't bad but just a bit bland.

Joe

Does putting fresh roasted beans in the freezer work to keep them fresh or is that a myth?

I buy 2 bags at a time and currently put the second bag in a ziploc bag and then in a container. By the time I open up the second bag (about 4 weeks) it's entirely drinkable but obviously not fresh.

afroguy10

Got some Colombian a couple of weeks ago in a wee shop called the Cuttea Sark in Edinburgh. Picked up a cigar to go along with it and had a big fresh mug of coffee and a cigar later that evening, it was bliss.

Hitting the end of my bag of coffee though, I'll have to keep the place in mind for future.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Does putting fresh roasted beans in the freezer work to keep them fresh or is that a myth?

I buy 2 bags at a time and currently put the second bag in a ziploc bag and then in a container. By the time I open up the second bag (about 4 weeks) it's entirely drinkable but obviously not fresh.

You can keep coffee in the freezer to keep it fresh if you aren't taking it out and putting it back in. Otherwise, keep it in your pantry.

https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/shopping-storing/beverages/store-coffee-pantry-vs-freezer

Can anyone recommend a good light roast coffee? I've tried Starbuck Vernanda and Caribou light and they aren't bad but just a bit bland.

Are there any local roasters around you? If so, I would encourage you to try their light roast and get it as fresh as possible. I can almost guarantee it will be a nicer cup than you would get from beans which spent a few days in transit after roasting.

I have a french press that I use for cold brew, I think it works great! It is also nice to have one tool for both hot and cold coffee, as my kitchen space is limited.

h3ro

Blue Bottle and Stumptown light roasts are my current faves. I got an awesome light blend from Heart brewing while visiting Oregon which was amazing.

Got a bunch of mugs from the first Stumptown when I was out there as well!

NewFresh

See:

Been trying some of the selection from La Colombe
https://www.lacolombe.com/

They were featured on Consumer Reports and while I don't particularly care for their reviews I figured it warranted a try. Their Drafts in a can are decent but overpriced. Their Coffee comes in at around $15/12oz. I have been drinking their Ethiopian and ordered the Guatemala and Haiti varieties as well. (They had a buy two get one free promotion)

Surprisingly crisp. All of these are on the lighter side and honestly a bit too light for me but still really good.

Id recommend them for people who enjoy things like Starbucks blonde roast.

They have free shipping on $30 orders right now.

pje122

Recently the Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine came up on sale for $460. Any opinion on this machine/price?

Dachande

UK GAF, beans, talk to me.

Has anyone found a good all rounder?, I've tried Taylors, not complex enough, almost tastes like instant, Lavazza espresso, which seems to make a good americano, but doesn't have enough depth for espresso, and Modern Standard Momentum, which is probably the nicest, at least for espresso, flavour is really nice, but it looses it when diluted.

Is there such a thing as a good all rounder?, or do I need specific beans for different coffees?, any suggestions on the best beans for espresso and americano?

Oof, missed this, not sure if you'll see this reply, but...

You don't really need different kinds of beans for espresso or americano, but there's no harm in experimenting! Most coffee sold as "espresso" tends to be blends from various farms and countries as it can allow for more complex tastes that the process serves well, but there's some amazing single-origin coffees (from a single farm or processing mill) that work well with espresso too.

The best thing you can do to improve your coffee is to buy better beans than supermarket brands - they're not fresh (roasted months ago) and won't have been stored well. Freshness really is the key to good coffee! Try some of these places below, they're among some of the best roasters in the UK, roast to order and deliver to your door:

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/
https://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/
https://www.northstarroast.com/
https://roundhillroastery.com/
https://www.maudecoffee.co.uk/

The other best thing you can do is grind fresh as you make each drink. Can't tell from your post if you're doing that or not, but it's the other big way that you will lose a lot of flavour in your coffee.

Joe

Do all burr grinders leave some coffee ground behind after each grind?

If I put in 12.2g of beans I get 12g of ground out. The 0.2g is being left behind in the chute and sits there for 24 hours until the next grind. I think it is messing up the taste of my cups. Is that possible?

I have to shake the grinder violently and bang it on the counter to get all the ground out. Sometimes after shaking it and banging it around I'll get 13g of ground after putting in 12.2g of beans. :|

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's possible, I disassemble and clean my grinder regularly. I also rinse the portion that holds the grind and leave it out to dry. It imparts a not very significant but noticeable stale coffee taste and smell.

Joe

Well damn. I actually opened it up today and was surprised how much ground was in there even though I cleaned it recently. I guess I have to clean it after every use is my only real option.

Maybe I'll see if higher end grinders have the same problem.

Thanks for the post!

jacobs34

Looking for some recommendations for people who get their beans on Amazon. I typically get Yirgacheffe from my local roaster, but I have a bunch of money on my Amazon account right now, and figured I'd try something new. I'm a french press person, open to all suggestions.

Auctopus

Forgot this thread existed. So, my friend got me Death Wish Coffee for my birthday... how powerful is this stuff, actually? I did some research but I couldn't tell the difference between the marketing and the facts.

Joe

Hario cold-brew makes a damn strong cup of cold coffee. There's more caffeine in just a few sips than a regular cup of hot coffee with the same beans.

Any recommendations for keeping cold-brew fresh? I kept my last batch in the actual maker and it spoiled after a few days. Will a mason jar suffice?

Top Bottom