• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Was Right: Xbox's E3 Gambit (Feb 23)

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yes, it is confirmed - PHIL SPENCER HAS SAID ITS AN ITERATIVE CONSOLE (just not in those exact words, just in terms of function). Like, MS has gone on record & talked about what the Scorpio is & isn't. We haven't gotten specs, and we don't know what VR solution they'll be pursuing (surprise, its Oculus) but thinking the door is wide open on what it can be is foolish, given MS has insisted multiple times on what it is going to be already. Its the fans who refuse to believe that its all it can be.

EXCEPT developers have gone on record stating the Scorpio is more powerful than initially expected and/or that it's a generational leap and basically a new generation at this point (as matter-of-fact statement too). Are we also talking about the same Microsoft that introduced the Scorpio as the answer to developers who wanted to have no boundaries in development or from PHIL SPENCER himself who said that the games on Scorpio will define it? So no, nothing is confirmed until we see it. I'm not personally defining it as a new generational system, as I'm taking a wait and see approach but to deny there isn't evidence of it being a generational leap at least in terms of power is denying what little comments are out there about it by people who would know.

I also think the VR solution will be Hive and Oculus.

Microsoft's own words say there will be no games on Scorpio that aren't on Xbox 1. That is confirmation that it's not a new generation, regardless of the power leap.

As for the power issue, the X1 is not losing to PS4 because it's weak. Power has never been a significant factor in which systems sell the most in a generation. It's about 3rd party deals, gimmicks, marketing, games, and word of mouth. Sony has aggressively courted core gamers who in turn got their friends to buy PS4s and it snowballed. A more powerful system alone is not going to turn the tide back in Microsoft's favour, especially if the pricetag is high.

Microsoft also said they'll let the developers guide them in terms of Scorpio and its goals. There may not be exclusive games now, but eventually the base Xbox One will be phased out and Scorpio will be the base model. I was also talking in terms of power and we have yet to know what improvements the Scorpio will achieve for its games.

It would take so long for enough scorpios to get out there to start targeting as a new generation. The the next Xbox would end up hampered by the Scorpio. It just doesn't make sense. It's an Xbox one pro. That's just the only way it makes sense.

If I were to guess, it'll be a transition system -- start out as Xbox One Pro of sorts that can kickstart a new generation quickly as it has the power to do so. We don't know what it is yet tho. Microsoft technically already said they didn't want it to be like the Pro, or else they would have released last year.

It doesn't matter how powerful it is if its just playing the same software, because ultimately price-point is always king when it comes to mass-markets sales.

Imagine if the PS4Pro cost $50-100 more than it does but was twice as powerful... Does anyone honestly think that it'd sell substantially more if that were the case?

Even more starkly, is it even remotely plausible that a model like that would outsell the stock PS4 unit?

Of course not. Yet bizarrely this miracle is apparently what Scorpio is going to do! Even in spite of the fact that MS need to convert many prospective buyers deep into both Sony and Nintendo's ecosystems by the time it launches.

We don't even know how the Scorpio will upgrade games or what the strategy is. I can assure you that Microsoft isn't putting this much money into it if they believe it's going to just be like the Pro. This is a core part of their strategy. The Pro isn't really that for Sony.

It is an iterative console. Phil Spencer literally said at E3 all games would be playable on Scorpio, One S and the base Xbox.

People refuse to believe all the evidence of that and want to believe it's more than what it is.

Except VR games of course. =P

And again, is Scorpio the console that's iterative like one version of Microsoft implies (who is also trying to sell a One S) or is it the console where it gives developers endless possibilities? The messaging on the Scorpio by Microsoft hasn't exactly been great, and third parties have implied it's more powerful than expected. Microsoft's stance on what the Scorpio will be could have also been changed between its release and now as well, which could explain the mixed messaging. If Spencer himself said to wait to see the games on Scorpio before buying it, I doubt the Xbox One versions of those games will be comparable.

Elfstruck

I don't think Microsoft can reverse the fortunes of the Xbox One with the Scorpio. There's absolutely nothing Microsoft can sell to PC gamers hardware-wise thanks to Play Anywhere. I think Microsoft's biggest news coming from E3 is more exclusive games rather than the Scorpio being the center of attention.
But muh power? But in all seriousness, a powerful console is one thing, having good library of games that can take advantage of it is a completely different thing.

Hari Seldon

I just bought an XB1S and PS4 Pro... traded in my launch PS4 to gamestop for $175 (thx GS promo!), gave my wife my Darth Vader PS4, and now I'm riding in style.

I won't buy any more consoles until PS5. *Maybe* a Scorpio for myself to give my wife the XB1S.

Wait what promo? Is that right now?

Sea of Thieves, Gears 4, Halo Wars 2, Halo 6, Forza Horizon 3 and Forza 7 are another six that would have been included in that number last summer, so that works out to 11 of 14 (assuming that number is accurate). Thinking about what the others could be, probably Ori 2 and then two mystery games.
Oh...well, put that way, it does seem rather light but I do think those last few will be ready to be relieved at E3 this year.

It just makes me more aware of what Sneaker is getting at for 2018 and beyond. Not to say that there will be nothing but the usual but I don't see it shaping up to be a great year in terms of new stuff. We'll see though.

I think smaller, less risky projects are their plan right now for the most part to accompany the trinity. Honestly I'm surprised they haven't tried some AA budget titles from IPs like Banjo and Battletoads.
Agreed.

Even if they want to move away from traditional titles releases and get into a more MP/services type thing, surely they can afford to push some of those smaller titles through.

At that point, Scalebound was still in production, as well as Halo 6, 2 new forza games, ori follow-up, Gears follow-up, phantom dust hd are all a part of those games as well. Technically speaking, Cuphead and Below are also a part of those endeavors. And if they are counting KI support as a game, then you can count the on-going support for Gears 4, Halo 5, and any Forza title (most recently Horizon 3) as a part of that lineup.
I see what you're saying. I think those last one or two games we don't know should help round out the rest of this year, at least.

Yeah, that too. So, we actually know a lot of those 14 titles already.

vcc

EXCEPT developers have gone on record stating the Scorpio is more powerful than initially expected and/or that it's a generational leap and basically a new generation at this point (as matter-of-fact statement too). Are we also talking about the same Microsoft that introduced the Scorpio as the answer to developers who wanted to have no boundaries in development or from PHIL SPENCER himself who said that the games on Scorpio will define it? So no, nothing is confirmed until we see it. I'm not personally defining it as a new generational system, as I'm taking a wait and see approach but to deny there isn't evidence of it being a generational leap at least in terms of power is denying what little comments are out there about it by people who would know.

Generations aren't as much about power as they are about a big marketing push and a level of consumer demand for something new. If there aren't games that are exclusive to this new system it doesn't produce more consumer demand. If they don't make that spend on marketing it also doesn't push consumer demand.

I also think the VR solution will be Hive and Oculus.

Oculus fortune has declined recently. Maybe vive?

Microsoft also said they'll let the developers guide them in terms of Scorpio and its goals. There may not be exclusive games now, but eventually the base Xbox One will be phased out and Scorpio will be the base model. I was also talking in terms of power and we have yet to know what improvements the Scorpio will achieve for its games.

Sounds like a shitty deal for current xbox owners. First party exclusives dropped to 0 and now the console maker wants to punish you for buying in early? Doesn't sound ideal. That plan also assumes everyone jump aboard. If the Scorpio and Ps4 pro sell like sega CD's long term what will that mean for those grand plans?

If I were to guess, it'll be a transition system -- start out as Xbox One Pro of sorts that can kickstart a new generation quickly as it has the power to do so. We don't know what it is yet tho. Microsoft technically already said they didn't want it to be like the Pro, or else they would have released last year.

We don't even know how the Scorpio will upgrade games or what the strategy is. I can assure you that Microsoft isn't putting this much money into it if they believe it's going to just be like the Pro. This is a core part of their strategy. The Pro isn't really that for Sony.

They need to launch it like a new generation and time it so the consumers are hungry for it. I have this feeling they lost some fights internally and can't grab the cash to do the first part and the second part isn't there yet.

LuuKyK

I could be wrong of course, but I really dont see the Scorpio being all that succesful if it is actually being created as a new gen for MS, mostly because it seems to be aiming at a very specific consumer and not the mass.

Arguably it would go against the Pro regarding userbase, but then again, I dont see it getting full exclusives in its first year, much less from third parties, since the PS4/XBOs userbase will not be ignored. Pretty much like the Pro. I think Sony is being relatively succesful with it due to a great library of exclusives. Considering MS' ones are all releasing on PC and on the normal XBO... yeah its going to be hard to convince people that it is a new beginning for the brand or whatever they may want to call it because if it backfires as "a new gen" and they need to come up with another console briefly after that would be super confusing and bizarre to consumers overall. It just seems like MS is stuck between a rock and a hard place

stn

I'd buy a Scorpio day one if it has full 360 AND OG XBox BC. Oh, and a larger HD. Don't even have a 4K TV but I'd still do it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Generations aren't as much about power as they are about a big marketing push and a level of consumer demand for something new. If there aren't games that are exclusive to this new system it doesn't produce more consumer demand. If they don't make that spend on marketing it also doesn't push consumer demand.

I was using verbiage that a developer used to describe it.

Oculus fortune has declined recently. Maybe vive?

I would rather it be Vive honestly. I mean both would be awesome but of the two Vive is better.

Sounds like a shitty deal for current xbox owners. First party exclusives dropped to 0 and now the console maker wants to punish you for buying in early? Doesn't sound ideal. That plan also assumes everyone jump aboard. If the Scorpio and Ps4 pro sell like sega CD's long term what will that mean for those grand plans?

I think we just have to wait and see its reveal before making a judgment call. We do know that there will likely be a trade-in deal.

They need to launch it like a new generation and time it so the consumers are hungry for it. I have this feeling they lost some fights internally and can't grab the cash to do the first part and the second part isn't there yet.

They'll probably try to market it as both. The Xbox One is normal PC mode, the Scorpio is Ultra High Settings mode.

Gitaroo

the only reason why xbone is doing a lot better in its main market US and UK is because the release of the cheaper slim box. "Cheap" is the key, not power. Scorpio won't mean jake shit unless its cheap too. If MS thinks a more powerful box is going to turn the table around then they haven't learn anything from PS2 gen.

vcc

They'll probably try to market it as both. The Xbox One is normal PC mode, the Scorpio is Ultra High Settings mode.

The pro and alleged spec of the Scorpio would be a high setting PC. The ultra high is really expensive and powerful.

Scorpio will be 6 tflops, a gtx 1080 is 9.

I don't have any scoops but people in these threads seems to be playing Scorpio like it's a brand new console launch
It's what the developer from Ori stated and people are taking that as more concrete than anything else leaked.

I dunno...I'm thinking more along the lines of a 'Super Pro' but whatever, It doesn't really matter to me unless Halo 6 is the next Destiny or something and so amazing i have to run out and get an Xbox.

same will be said for scorpio

Probably not. MS, and many others it would seem, just doesn't get it. No one is going to buy your new stuff when they feel you haven't delivered on the old stuff and your new lineup isn't looking better. The X1 has been utterly demolished by PS4 exclusives and first party support. Which MS has no counter for. I and many others still aren't interested in the X1 because the lack of exclusive games makes the purchase unappealing. All of my third party games run better on PS4. Scorpio potentially running a few of those better is not going to make people fork out the cash. Rest assured many Scorpios will sit on the shelf.

JayBabay

I mean, I could have and would have lived with my regular PS4 for an extra year in exchange for a better Pro model. I think the majority would feel the same way and believe Microsoft is going to hit a home run with this. I expect them to have a great showing at this E3 and through the year.

Literally their mantra for Scorpio was "no one left behind" but you think they will leave their 25-30 million userbase behind to push an enthusiast device?

Of course they've done a 180 on their remarks in the past so it's possible but I think it would be a moronic move for a division that's already struggled with poor PR and low consumer confidence for several years now.

Neonep

If anything, I figure it will be the opposite. The core experience will be good but it won't catch on.
For me it feels like No Man's Sky. I heard everybody talking about it and hyping it up and decided to watch a few trailers and read a few interviews. I don't know why anybody is excited about this and looks to be overrated from the jump.

Head.spawn

For me it feels like No Man's Sky. I heard everybody talking about it and hyping it up and decided to watch a few trailers and read a few interviews. I don't know why anybody is excited about this and looks to be overrated from the jump.

Well there is a difference between a game being overtated and another being utter garbage pinned up on an awesome soundtrack and lies.

No idea why anyone would pick NMS to compare it to unless you saw something fundamentally broken.

Maximus P

The only thing I'm hoping for this year in regards to Microsofts E3 is that it isn't leaked like last year's. I can recall reading what was going to happen before it happened, even the order if appearance of different games and segments was correct. Someone's head needs to roll for leaking that shit.

Other than that, I think Microsofts last couple of E3s have been great. They announced and showed some great stuff. I, however don't think anything is going to change drastically off of the back of E3, they need to get people loyal to the brand like Sony which will take alot of time and hard work, not just a few flash features and games shown in one show. I hope Scorpio is a success for them.

sn00zer

I cannot imagine Scorpio is going to do so well since a shit ton of people just bought an X1 last Xmas. I feel like Scorpio is just going to put itself in the same spot PC is currently at where most thid parties aren't going to squeeze all the juice out of it. This will only exacerbate since third parties will be eyeballing releasing on Switch and Ps4 as well.

the only reason why xbone is doing a lot better in its main market US and UK is because the release of the cheaper slim box. "Cheap" is the key, not power. Scorpio won't mean jake shit unless its cheap too. If MS thinks a more powerful box is going to turn the table around then they haven't learn anything from PS2 gen.

Yeah, power sucks. They should make it even weaker and cheaper to win! /s

Neonep

Well there is a difference between a game being overtated and another being utter garbage pinned up on an awesome soundtrack and lies.

No idea why anyone would pick NMS to compare it to unless you saw something fundamentally broken.

I just saw something that didn't look good and said it didn't look good. Then when people got their hands on it they realized it wasn't good. Wasn't comparing the actual games, was comparing how I saw the games and how people perceived the games prior to and after launch.

If PS4 Pro doesn't make sense, then Scorpio makes even less. Just get a damn PC if you value power that much, it has (nearly) all Xbox "exclusives" now.

And LOL at the idea of Scorpio being a generational leap. Not only it'd be a below-average leap for a new gen, but also Microsoft is in no position of "forcing" a new gen with the market share they have. Third parties wouldn't leave all that PS4/XB1 money on the table, and Microsoft quite simply doesn't have the 1st party power to make Scorpio/high-end-PC-only games that would convince people to bite.

Yeah, power sucks. They should make it even weaker and cheaper to win! /s

Getting a higher-spec console out so late after Sony did theirs accomplishes nothing for Microsoft. They don't need the cheapest, most powerful, or most outlandish console; they need the right console at the right time. They did it with the 360, but that's it: they blew it with the OG, they blew it with the One, and they are blowing it with Scorpio.

MilkyJoe

If PS4 Pro doesn't make sense, then Scorpio makes even less. Just get a damn PC if you value power that much, it has (nearly) all Xbox "exclusives" now.

And LOL at the idea of Scorpio being a generational leap. Not only it'd be a below-average leap for a new gen, but also Microsoft is in no position of "forcing" a new gen with the market share they have. Third parties wouldn't leave all that PS4/XB1 money on the table, and Microsoft quite simply doesn't have the 1st party power to make Scorpio/high-end-PC-only games that would convince people to bite.

PC is a different market. And it's not a new generation. They couldn't make it clearer.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Scorpio seems to be for someone who is willing to spend more for a console, but isn't willing to buy a PC or even buy an Alienware PC. It's a strange niche market.

Although, I guess at least it can play UHD discs so you could sell it as a movie device.

PC is a different market. And it's not a new generation. They couldn't make it clearer.

PC is a different market than consoles, sure. But there is an overlap, and that overlap is the largest among the people willing to pay extra for a way to play the same games with higher IQ.

And I know it's not a new generation, but at least one person in this thread thinks it could be. That's what my post addressed.

MilkyJoe

PC is a different market than consoles, sure. But there is an overlap, and that overlap is the largest among the people willing to pay extra for a way to play the same games with higher IQ.

And I know it's not a new generation, but at least one person in this thread thinks it could be. That's what my post addressed.

Oh, well we can all agree it's not a new generation.

There will be an overlap, but the majority or console only crowd are not going to buy a pc over a scorpio, there's a reason they are console only and besides they'd already have done it.

bidguy

Banned
There was an entire thread about it not too long ago, as well as colleagues of mine. This isn't new.

you mean your gaming mag colleagues ? what would they know about publishers for a game that isnt even announced yet and has no proper team ?

plus nothing in that thread even hints at a publisher

Tigress

Not sure if a more expensive Xbox One will get people who haven't already bought one to finally get one.

If it plays Fallout VR I may consider it as a cheaper option to buying a PC (as I don't expect PS4 to be able to do Fallout VR and even if it did, it would be the worst place both for having less power and for Sony's damned restrictions). But then again if I am going to buy a console for Fallout VR I might as well get the one that does Bethesda games right, PC (admittedly I'm using Fallout VR as my excuse to get VR). But, stuff like price differences and if I have to use Occulus* on Scorpio will influence that some. But unless there is a huge price difference I think I'm leaning PC (also, I'd get access to a lot more games I don't have access to than a Scorpio. Other than State of Decay 2 I'm not much interested in Xbox exclusives and I think SoD is coming to PC anyways. And I'd get all the mods for all the Bethesda games I like, not just what is approved for the ones that are on xbox. Plus some PC games that don't come to consoles like Obsidian's latest RPGs).

*I don't want the Occulus for many reasons but biggest one is that it is owned by FB. But then they also gave many reasons after that not to want it. Plus it sounds like the worst option... worst for glasses wearers, not as good as the Vive, worst comfort.

Bgamer90

Banned
Probably not. MS, and many others it would seem, just doesn't get it. No one is going to buy your new stuff when they feel you haven't delivered on the old stuff and your new lineup isn't looking better. The X1 has been utterly demolished by PS4 exclusives and first party support. Which MS has no counter for. I and many others still aren't interested in the X1 because the lack of exclusive games makes the purchase unappealing. All of my third party games run better on PS4. Scorpio potentially running a few of those better is not going to make people fork out the cash. Rest assured many Scorpios will sit on the shelf.

Mention your PS4 running games better yet brush off the Scorpio being more powerful than all current consoles. I don't get it.

I agree that power isn't everything but people are definitely interested in power. It's amazing how some suddenly forgotten all about the "900p vs. 1080p" talk that was popular online 2-3 years ago and how it did play a role in some buying a PS4 instead of an Xbox One.

Current Xbox One owners and people that don't own an Xbox One will get the Scorpio -- which is definitely more than "no one". There are people interested in Xbox console exclusives (as it's not impossible to be interested in console exclusives for multiple consoles). Those games + better multiplats + (hopefully) solid/clear marketing will definitely help the system sell.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Current Xbox One owners and people that don't own an Xbox One will get the Scorpio -- which is definitely more than "no one". There are people interested in Xbox exclusives (as it's not impossible to be interested in console exclusives for multiple consoles) and those games + better multiplats + (hopefully) solid/clear marketing will definitely help the system sell.
But all the exclusives are on PC now. I don't think there are Xbox-only games anymore.

Bgamer90

Banned
But all the exclusives are on PC now. I don't think there are Xbox-only games anymore.

Majority of console gamers want good, popular games to play regardless of whether they are on PC or not.

The top selling games for the PS4 and Xbox One (separately) would be very different if games being available on PC greatly hurt a console.

vcc

Mention your PS4 running games better yet brush off the Scorpio being more powerful than all current consoles. I don't get it.

I agree that power isn't everything but people are definitely interested in power. It's amazing how some suddenly forgotten all about the "900p vs. 1080p" talk that was popular online 2-3 years ago and how it did play a role in some buying a PS4 instead of an Xbox One.

Current Xbox One owners and people that don't own an Xbox One will get the Scorpio -- which is definitely more than "no one". There are people interested in Xbox console exclusives (as it's not impossible to be interested in console exclusives for multiple consoles). Those games + better multiplats + (hopefully) solid/clear marketing will definitely help the system sell.

Likely painfully short of enough.

Tigress

I agree that power isn't everything but people are definitely interested in power. It's amazing how we've suddenly forgotton all about the "900p vs. 1080p" talk that was popular online 2-3 years ago and did play a role in some buying a PS4 instead of an Xbox One.

Current Xbox One owners and people that don't own an Xbox One will get the Scorpio -- which is definitely more than "no one". There are people interested in Xbox exclusives (as it's not impossible to be interested in console exclusives for multiple consoles) and those games + better multiplats + (hopefully) solid/clear marketing will definitely help the system sell.

Here's the thing, xbox has to offer me something PS4 doesn't already. Sure, it may play third parties better but at least half the gen is gone already and I'm not going to rebuy third parties games I already played just for better graphics (if graphics was that important to me I'd already have a PC). And there is no xbox games that are that appealing to me other than State of Decay 2 (one reason I lean Playstation is I like single player games, I do not like the direction MS wants to go with games, same reason I don't like EA and Ubisoft).

Not really sure why anyone who would upgrade their console for better graphics who doesn't have an xbox (or no device to play current gen games) would go Scorpio over PS4 Pro (and definitely not from PC). Sure the pro is weaker but they don't have to rebuy their whole library to take advantage of that (that can get expensive... might be cheaper to just get a PC honestly. Probably can find their old games cheap on steam then). And how much of this generation is left to make it worth it for what games come out now?

(yes, i outlined the one reason I would get Scorpio above but honestly I feel the only reason I'd go to it is depending on how expensive buying a PC and Vive would end up being as the game I'd want it or would do better on PC anwyays if I'm going to go buy a computer for that game. And I think my case is kind of an outlier that most people aren't going to come across).

Top Bottom