• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Was Right: Xbox's E3 Gambit (Feb 23)

That's pretty much what I'm saying. All those things can be accomplished with a new generation. You're right that this requires years of planning, that's why I'm saying that with Scorpio coming so soon, it's just not looking like this is what it's going to be.

A "new" and powerful console by itself will achieve nothing for Xbox. A new and powerful console with tons of great new software and and worldwide vision can. But there's no way that thing is coming in late 2017.

if anything, this (&, even then, that's still a maybe). if it were only as simple as a 'new' console :) ...

Thorrgal

I just don't see a scenario where people who haven't jumped into this generation yet choose to buy a seemingly $400+ console that plays the same games that you could get on a console that is half the price.

It's painfully obvious...only hardcore MS fans who already own an XBONE will buy the Scorpio.

Only people like Lukas Tavez and Jaguar Victory will buy it and that will change nothing. The slim will outsell the scorpio, the original xbox will outsell it, the og ps4 and the pro will outsell it...

It won't have exclusive games because who would develop games for a machine with an installed base of less than a million units vs a base of 100 Million? Nonsense...crazyness!

I can only speak for myself but a more (much) powerful xbox does not entice me....coming from as a Playstation owner since the PS2.

The problem i got with the Xbox is the lack of diversity in its games. I know some Xbox ppl will get offended with people mentioned that Xbox owners are all 'brodudes' but just look at the ads and the heavily promoted games on Xbox. Other than the Fable games (which is dead), almost all of the Xbox exclusive games scream 90s EXTREMEZ, HARDCORE and PvP-Centric!!!! I'm not saying Sony doesn't have this type of games (God of war is such game) but at least it's not all EXTREMEZ under their catalog.

Again, Xbox ppl...you can bash me all you want...but there's a generally lack of subtlety in the Xbox. Even the Scorpio screams EXTREMEZ, HARDCORE, UNCOMPRESSED PIXEL, MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE EVAR!!

Again, i am not saying Sony is not guilty of such extreme act, what with their PS2 & early PS3 era of proclaiming they have the most powerful console ever...but the Sony in the PS4 era has been quite subtle in their messaging.... The Xbox branding and messaging just seems to be 'shouting' all the time. As a guy in his mid-30s, i don't think it's something i am into.

(P.S. Xbox ppl, fireaway. I know some will get rub off either way)

Thing is the outcome can be so varied its crazy . It could be a 400$ box that slightly more powerful than the PS pro to a 600$ box that has the power of a Ryzen and RX 480 8gb . All we have is guesses at this point which this is the place for it but I just wouldn't be to sure of anything at this point.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
They were totally wrong. They said it was an errror but it's selling millions around the world at a US $400 and up price point. They are clueless when it comes to the console business.
Sony is being cagey about Pro numbers for a reason, not sure where you are getting your "millions" from. Anyway, their point was that it was a totally unnecessary console, and that is evident.

rokkerkory

I can only speak for myself but a more (much) powerful xbox does not entice me....coming from as a Playstation owner since the PS2.

The problem i got with the Xbox is the lack of diversity in its games. I know some Xbox ppl will get offended with people mentioned that Xbox owners are all 'brodudes' but just look at the ads and the heavily promoted games on Xbox. Other than the Fable games (which is dead), almost all of the Xbox exclusive games scream 90s EXTREMEZ, HARDCORE and PvP-Centric!!!! I'm not saying Sony doesn't have this type of games (God of war is such game) but at least it's not all EXTREMEZ under their catalog.

Again, Xbox ppl...you can bash me all you want...but there's a generally lack of subtlety in the Xbox. Even the Scorpio screams EXTREMEZ, HARDCORE, UNCOMPRESSED PIXEL, MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE EVAR!!

Again, i am not saying Sony is not guilty of such extreme act, what with their PS2 & early PS3 era of proclaiming they have the most powerful console ever...but the Sony in the PS4 era has been quite subtle in their messaging.... The Xbox branding and messaging just seems to be 'shouting' all the time. As a guy in his mid-30s, i don't think it's something i am into.

Then you must have bought and enjoyed the 360 then.

The real Microsoft problem is exclusives, nothing hardware related will save it.

As someone who owned an OG X1 and now a X1S, this is my primary concern. I could care less about how beefy they make another xbox, I want exclusive games to play on it. Id kill for LO2 or even a sunset OD sequel. Im hoping they go all in on Software showing at E3 .

Let's go through who they may have partnerships with then:

Big 3rd party publishers - not gonna happen. PS4 has too big a lead, MS has already said they are not interested in doing this (although its more they can't really afford to buy this sort of contract more than anything), and 3rd parties are making so much of their ROI on PS4 that cutting it out would be suicide.

Independent Developers - the few indie devs that are floating around that have had a previous relationship with MS, and many of them aren't doing anything with them any longer. Obsidian, Insomniac, Platinum, and Remedy are the most immediate ones that come to mind that we know are not going to be working with MS going forward. Armature could be doing a Recore 2, but going by how well I know the Xbox team & its 3rd party managers, I doubt they'd continue to pursue a franchise that sold as poorly as Recore 1 did with the developer who produced it. We already know the other project the Forza Horizon devs are producing is being published by a 3rd party, so thats not on their slate either. That leaves a few shops to potentially do a game with, including Gearbox (who are all-in on Borderlands 3), The Workshop (who have been silent for awhile now), or a smaller UK shop.

I'm not saying a small, non-publisher studio can't be working with MS. I'm saying, of the studios that fall into this criteria, who could still be working with MS? It's not like there are a ton of options out there right now. The most I could see is MS scooping up & funding some VR projects.

Just out of curiosity, was it well known to you or any other sources that Halo Wars 2 was in development by Creative Assembly? The fact that a Sega studio was working on a MS IP seemed to come out of nowhere.

Sony is being cagey about Pro numbers for a reason, not sure where you are getting your "millions" from. Anyway, their point was that it was a totally unnecessary console, and that is evident.

Didn't the pro represent like 18% of all PS4s sold in November/December in the US ? If so, it'll reach a million worlwide very soon, if it hasn't already, although "millions" was definitely an exaggeration.

The Pro wasn't necessary, I don't think anybody ever said that.

I think however it was worth a try for Sony because of their position of market leader. And the rate at which is selling (which is higher than most anticipated here) proves it was the right choice.

That's not what Microsoft needs in their position, though. Most of their problems lie with games and worldwide appeal, not hardware. Hence the concern about Scorpio.

nashman

MS changed their conference time to go first so they can reveal Scorpio first then developers can show Scorpio games at E3.

But that ties into Scorpios biggest problem the biggest mega franchises are moneyhated by Sony now, so you will never see marketing for "super powered 4K highest quality pixel version" of Destiny2 COD or RDR2. They will most likely get a "Scorpio mode" but it will not be marketed and when asked developers will say same as Pro( checkerboard 4K)

I really believe MS should have took their lumps stuck with just the Xbox1s and tried again on equal footing in 2019 vs PS5.

I guess they want out of the console space and want to build games as service or windows Xbox. That maybe some what successfull. But there is still a TON of money to be made in the console market as PS4 is still selling better than any PlayStation ever and PSN revenue is skyrocketing as well.

Any momentum mindshare or even market share Scorpio may build for Xbox will be crushed by the shadow of PS5 in a few short years.

Electret

Didn't the pro represent like 18% of all PS4s sold in November/December in the US ? If so, it'll reach a million worlwide very soon, if it hasn't already, although "millions" was definitely an exaggeration.

For the US in November, Pro sold 243k, which was good for 22% of total PS4 sales. In December, it sold 238k, which was good for 15% of total PS4 sales. Average share is 18.5%.

Curufinwe

And the rest of the world buys more Sony consoles than the US.

Evident by what metric? The PS4 Pro is going to be around for years giving Sony a more powerful, premium SKU which has great value to them as business even if Colin is too ignorant to understand that.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
The real Microsoft problem is exclusives, nothing hardware related will save it.

pretty much. Especially when 2017 looks to have many ps4 exclusives from 1st, 2nd and 3rd parties. Sony is pretty much owning the 1st quarter of 2017 in terms of games and sales. Not sure if a more powerful console at the end of 2017 will do anything. Microsoft really need to push games this E3 and why people should buy the scropio

alt27

They cant have that many first party studios working on stuff otherwise there would have been leaks/news about it already.

Im sure the Scorpio will be a nice piece of hardware for 400 bucks, but if theres limited options to play it on and just third party stuff, Im sure people would mainly pick up a 200 USD PS4 or XB1S.

Electret

They cant have that many first party studios working on stuff otherwise there would have been leaks/news about it already.

Im sure the Scorpio will be a nice piece of hardware for 400 bucks, but if theres limited options to play it on and just third party stuff, Im sure people would mainly pick up a 200 USD PS4 or XB1S.

I'd be super surprised if one of their first parties announced something unexpected. 343 is on Halo 6, Turn 10 on Forza 7, TC on Gears 5, and Rare on SoT. The surprises will be in the form of new third party exclusives.

For the US in November, Pro sold 243k, which was good for 22% of total PS4 sales. In December, it sold 238k, which was good for 15% of total PS4 sales. Average share is 18.5%.

Thanks. I think that's a great number and it'll be interesting to see how the Scorpio performs compared to that, especially considering how close the XB1S launch was to it.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

It's not unnecessary if you have a 4K TV. At the same time, it's not a new gen. Neither is Scorpio.

I don't see how the two situations are different. Is Scorpio a necessary console just because it's marginally more powerful?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'd be super surprised if one of their first parties announced something unexpected. 343 is on Halo 6, Turn 10 on Forza 7, TC on Gears 5, and Rare on SoT. The surprises will be in the form of new third party exclusives.

Microsoft really needs to shake things up. Have Turn 10 make a RPG or something other than a racing game. Have 343 make a non-halo game.

Zukkoyaki

If I had to really guess, it feels like Microsoft is transitioning to a safe service based model for the Xbox where it's essentially a universal app machine for all things Microsoft.

As far as first party games go, I think their in-house studios will carry on as expected developing the big three tentpole franchises while Rare is a new IP factory. I also believe they are no longer going to fund major AAA games such as Quantum Break or Sunset Overdrive with third parties anymore. Instead I expect them to focus on indie-scale projects such as Ori and more AA projects that they can release on a more modest budget and support post-release such as State of Decay and Recore.

The ultimate megaton would be Phil Spencer taking the stage and announcing that 343, Turn 10 and The Coalition are ALL working on a new IP. It would never in a million years happen and would be the mother of all gambles but it would be hype as fuck for circles like NeoGAF. Imagine e3 2018 or something and those three get announced back to back... Oh to dream.

Definitely.

I just think those third party games will be more like Recore rather than, say, Crackdown tier. Not that it is a bad thing to me but I know some are probably expecting AAA. Than again, they may have at least one major AAA surprise in store. We'll see.

The ultimate megaton would be Phil Spencer taking the stage and announcing that 343, Turn 10 and The Coalition are ALL working on a new IP. It would never in a million years happen and would be the mother of all gambles but it would be hype as fuck for circles like NeoGAF. Imagine e3 2018 or something and those three get announced back to back... Oh to dream.
Hype as fuck indeed. It would be insane if they just went "fuck it" and did something like that. Their lineup up to those releases would suffer from no Halo, Gears and Forza to carry things but it would still be so exciting. Not just new games either. Completely new genre for all of them too.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
We get on Colin about him not seeing the Pro as something that made sense but he mentions in the video that he may be in the minority. I'll give him credit for that because he is.

Great video nonetheless.

Ill say this, I am DAMN glad the PS4 Pro exists. I was skeptical at first, but now that I have it and see the image quality upgrades, I couldn't be happier.

Figments

Microsoft really needs to shake things up. Have Turn 10 make a RPG or something other than a racing game. Have 343 make a non-halo game.

Turn 10 was built for the ground up to make racing games.

So, uh, no.

Maybe a racing game IP other than Forza, sure. But outside of racing? No.

Yeah, ok, I'm going to call you out. Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Halo Wars 2, Forza, Quantum Break, Sea of Thieves, Rare Collection, 360 backwards compat games that were given free like Lost Odyssey, etc. This argument is tired.

Fuchsdh

same will be said for scorpio

Which ultimately proves the fanboy console discussions will be meaningless. Ultimately the only arbiter for success and failure for these premium SKUs is whatever internal benchmarks Sony and MS have, and we don't actually know that.

Given that the Xbox is behind worldwide, though, I imagine there's a lot more external pressure on MS.

Other than the Fable games (which is dead), almost all of the Xbox exclusive games scream 90s EXTREMEZ, HARDCORE and PvP-Centric!!!!

If that's your takeaway, I think the issue is with you, not the games.

If that's your takeaway, I think the issue is with you, not the games.

Maybe it is....but most of MS games are so heavily focused on the MP experience which is not something i am into...

Yes, Ori is nice and i wish it's coming to PS4 too but c'mon guys....i ain't gonna buy a Xbox just for Ori.

Yeah, ok, I'm going to call you out. Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Halo Wars 2, Forza, Quantum Break, Sea of Thieves, Rare Collection, 360 backwards compat games that were given free like Lost Odyssey, etc. This argument is tired.

again...i am not saying my opinion is objective (it's an opinion after all).......but you have to see thing from my objective. If you are a marketer trying to lure an playstation person away to the Xbox, the games you listed ain't gonna cut it.

BC is definitely nice and i wished i have them on PS4 but again.....as someone that doesn't have any 360 games on my library, how can this entice me?

How can MS get the Germans, French (heck the whole of europe and Asia) to care about the Scorpio? 6TF is just a word akin to Atari Jaguar's '64bit Do the Math'.

I don't care about 6TF. Show me your (diverse) library of games.

They have Casey Hudson at the company. If I were them I'd try to get him to set up an rpg studio for them at some point when he wants to make a console game again.

Sota4077

I have yet to see a Colin Was Right video where he was actually, you know, right on every level. First post nails it.

Yeah Colin could make far more money if he just worked directly for Sony. He has never hidden his love for Sony. Which is why it is all the more strange when he makes a video that is dedicated to Xbox and spends a large portion of the time talking about how awesome he thinks the Sony Studios are, how much better all their games are and how Microsoft has to have an absolutely stellar E3 or they are screwed. Its a little strange to me.

Yeah Colin could make far more money if he just worked directly for Sony. He has never hidden his love for Sony. Which is why it is all the more strange when he makes a video that is dedicated to Xbox and spends a large portion of the time talking about how awesome he thinks the Sony Studios are, how much better all their games are and how Microsoft has to have an absolutely stellar E3 or they are screwed. Its a little strange to me.
Uh...nah.

Colin is critical of Sony (I mean, he was critical of them in this video....) and I don't think he was saying "MS IS DOOMED!" either.

Sunset Overdrive - No interest
Ori - On PC
Halo Wars 2 - No interest, on PC
Forza - No interest, on PC
Quantum Break - No interest, on PC
Sea of Thieves - Nope
Rare Collection - ehhh, no
360 BC - a cool feature but don't have any interest in 360 FP games
Halo - No interest
Gears - doesn't appeal to me

So why do I want to buy one?

Figments

Ori - On PC
Sea of Thieves - Nope
Halo - No interest

If the point of your "argument" was about shit you don't like, why the hell did you decide to "contribute" in the first place?

EDIT: Oh, you're not even that other guy. Confused the hell out of me.

Why am I even responding to this post?

Uh...nah.

Colin is critical of Sony (I mean, he was critical of them in this video....) and I don't think he was saying "MS IS DOOMED!" either.

It's not so much that Colin isn't critical of Sony or is heavily biased or anything. Rather, his expertise and audience are so clearly rooted in Playstation that if he were to actually do an analysis on Xbox it would come across as shallow. I think the video would benefit if it WERE more focused, but I don't think Colin really has the motivation and know-how to properly do it, otherwise he would.

It's not so much that Colin isn't critical of Sony or is heavily biased or anything. Rather, his expertise and audience are so clearly rooted in Playstation that if he were to actually do an analysis on Xbox it would come across as shallow. I think the video would benefit if it WERE more focused, but I don't think Colin really has the motivation and know-how to properly do it, otherwise he would.
Which is funny because I feel his analysis of Sony is shallow at times too.

RPGam3r

Scorpio being anything more than what the Pro was for Sony, aka not much, is a weird stance to take.

I do agree that MS putting its exclusives on PC was a shitty move.

le.phat

I think Colin and greg were wrong about the pro since it seems to have been a success and is objectively a good product. I Dont think it's hypocritical of Colin to be positive about the Scorpio since it seems like it will have exclusive games a new operating system and hardware wise is more of a quantum leap rather than the quantum step of the pro.
Based on what exactly?

I see a lot of people saying games is the problem and I would agree that games is a large part of the problem . I could be wrong but I kind of feel like there is nothing they can do unless they actually paid developers to be included in the Japanese made games. 1st party for 1st party the difference in game amount isn't massive . Its when you add in the 3rd party exclusives that you start to get a huge difference . I mean I hear a lot about Nioh, Gravity rush and Nier but if they were on Xbox as well I don't think there would be this huge gap

Scorpio is fine but the pro was a mistake.. Colin please.
And this is why colin continues to annoy me. Seems like the worldwide shortage of ps4pro (especially in Asia for a very long time) isn't enough evidence for him. Man seems to live in a bubble, both in and outside of gaming. Goddamn what would it take for someone to admit they were wrong. JFC

MilkyJoe

Which ultimately proves the fanboy console discussions will be meaningless. Ultimately the only arbiter for success and failure for these premium SKUs is whatever internal benchmarks Sony and MS have, and we don't actually know that.

Given that the Xbox is behind worldwide, though, I imagine there's a lot more external pressure on MS.

Correct. Both companies are more than aware of their place in the market, the same can be said for Nintendo, and of course they aim to build on that. But this notion of winning and losing the generation is nonsensical crap. Companies have their projected sales and thats it. They have direct competitors, sure, but they also have their preferred market and targets and they either fall short, meet or exceed. This notion that success of product A can only be measured in sales against product B is nonsense, especially in a worldwide market. The current situation is MS fell short of their targets, due to self inflicted fuck ups, and Sony capitalized on that, thus they have exceeded their targets. (despite what people may choose to believe, and that off the blocks momentum was certainly not for the exclusives).

People need to give the numbers shit a rest and try to enjoy games, without the imaginary validation that their team is winning, that somehow makes the game that little bit better.

Ori - On PC
Sea of Thieves - Nope
Halo - No interest

I'm in the same boat as you. none of the Xbox exclusives have ever appealed to me.

If the point of your "argument" was about shit you don't like, why the hell did you decide to "contribute" in the first place?

EDIT: Oh, you're not even that other guy. Confused the hell out of me.

Why am I even responding to this post?

Ok...here i am, bruh..

Sunset Overdrive - i will buy if it's on PS4 but it's not something i will buy one console for
Ori - Probably will get on PC...if i had a decent PC
Halo Wars 2 - Sorry, no interest on Halo universe
Forza - Sorry, other than burnout and daytona, never like racers
Quantum Break - eh....no.
Sea of Thieves - Believe me...i watched almost every video of this game and still had no idea what this game is supposed to be to say i like it or not
Rare Collection - I believe i played almost everyone of these games on a Project64 emulator
360 BC - I don't have any 360 backlog so zero value added personally. Lost Odyssey is cool though
Halo - My answer above...also to add...Halo is wwaaayy past its prime.
Gears - Same opinion as Halo

I will say Scalebound is the one that 'might' tip the favor for me as a PS4 only owner to get an Xbox but that's not even a thing anymore. Killer Instinct also seems cool but it's on PC so i will rather beef up my PC to get it there. MS seems more interested to show off the Cloud tech of Crackdown 3 than its gameplay to have me form an opinion on it.

Top Bottom