• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Was Right: Xbox's E3 Gambit (Feb 23)

Brewmont

Banned
But all the exclusives are on PC now. I don't think there are Xbox-only games anymore.

I've never understood this argument. I see it all the time on here. In what world do you live in thinking that the average gamer is willing to spend even the time to build a PC, much less has the space for or wants such an eyesore? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one living in the world, cause people that I talk to who play games by and large do so only casually. You're saying that those people wouldn't care about any exclusives that Xbox has, because they're also on PC as if these people even know that PC is an option to them.

MilkyJoe

I've never understood this argument. I see it all the time on here. In what world do you live in thinking that the average gamer is willing to spend even the time to build a PC, much less has the space for or wants such an eyesore? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one living in the world, cause people that I talk to who play games by and large do so only casually. You're saying that those people wouldn't care about any exclusives that Xbox has, because they're also on PC as if these people even know that PC is an option to them.

Well apparently, if you put a desirable console exclusive on PC then the majority consumer response is to go out and spend 800+ on a PC rather than 200 ish on a console, OR the more likely situation being that everyone already owns an 800+ gaming rig. Apparently the council gives you a new one when you move into a new place, and updates it every 18 months. They delivery it with the recycling bins. Didn't you not get yours?

much less has the space for or wants such an eyesore?

My gaming laptop is smaller, lighter, cooler and quieter than an Xbox One. It's also much more powerful and can be played on the go.

Sure it costs 7 or 8 times more, but it's so worth it for portability alone.

sense

I wish i could understand the constant hype for Sony's games. I own a PS4 since the start of the generation. (got a Xbone in 2014 after Kinect got dropped :) ) Before i was a 360 owner.
But all i played on PS4 were 3rd party games. Sony lacks all the Multiplayer stuff i get from Microsoft. And that still hasnt changed almost 4 years into this generation.

Just because some of you dont like the games Microsoft is putting out this year etc doesnt mean they have no games. They have.

BUT i agree that the constant 3 pillars (Halo, Forza, Gears) get pretty boring, especially when 1 studio has a very lackluster trackrecord with their games.
Halo already died to me. 343 just doesnt get it.
Only like the FH games, dont care about the Motorsport games.
Gears 4 was okey but nothing special.

So yeah i kinda agree that Microsoft has to step it up but this doom and gloom around Microsoft just because a new Sony game released gets really annoying on this board.

Microsoft will probably market the hell out of Scorpio even when they dont have marketing deals for some of the fall games.

I still think that power will sell Scorpio. The 3rd Party games will sell Scorpio.

It is pretty simple really. Sony exclusives cater to the audience that is interested in SP games. Big third party games like destiny, cod, battlefield, battlefront,gta online, titanfall etc.... cover them on the mp games front. Ms on the other hand is offering more mp centric games which the market is already saturated with and hence the reason they are on the decline because of too much competition. Not to say they don't offer sp games but either they are small in scale or few and far in between.

You don't have to build a PC to have a PC capable of gaming. Laptops are a perfect example that very few would have the capability to build. Also every Alienware, Dell, Cyberpower, etc... All of these are likely more popular than people who build their own. How is a PC more of an eyesore than a console?

Let's stick to the things we know, not prattle on inanely about subjects we have little in the way of facts on.

shandy706

Why do people think a $400 Xbox that plays the same games is going to cause some sort of explosion?

Much like the pro, you have people that expect a lot. You have people that expect nothing.

Then you have people that have realistic expectations.

Both the Pro and the Scorpio "just play the same games" as their cheaper version.

(as far as we know Scorpio wise)

Brewmont

Banned
You don't have to build a PC to have a PC capable of gaming. Laptops are a perfect example that very few would have the capability to build. Also every Alienware, Dell, Cyberpower, etc... All of these are likely more popular than people who build their own. How is a PC more of an eyesore than a console?

Let's stick to the things we know, not prattle on inanely about subjects we have little in the way of facts on.

Lol okay man. I bought a new high spec laptop a year or two ago, just since I needed a new computer, and it could barely run any older games I tried on it. Now granted, I was not looking for this laptop specifically to play games, but when your argument for getting into a platform requires anything more than just buying the newest offering, you've immediately lost most of the general public.

Brewmont

Banned
Well apparently, if you put a desirable console exclusive on PC then the majority consumer response is to go out and spend 800+ on a PC rather than 200 ish on a console, OR the more likely situation being that everyone already owns an 800+ gaming rig. Apparently the council gives you a new one when you move into a new place, and updates it every 18 months. They delivery it with the recycling bins. Didn't you not get yours?

Haha someone gets it.

MilkyJoe

Does everyone already own one of these Alienware laptops? Last I checked they still cost money ,probably more than the couple of hundred that it costs to buy a an xbox. No matter how you spin it, it's still a stupid argument that is only valid for those that already own a relatively capable PC. Lets stick to reality.

ChazGW7

Microsoft need to do something to get their foot back in the door. Its hard to imagine what that something will be, but I believe a good first step is majorly bolstering your first-party offerings and starting with a clean slate.

That means releasing a next gen console that is fully compatible with all X1 games. All games going forward will be developed for this new console. Unfortunately that means going back on their word about what it is, but I don't think that is too large of an issue to be honest.

It also means they'll be behind when the PS5 comes around but hey ho... Could always just release an incremental upgrade of the console right around that time, right??

That guy sure can yap. My lord he talks talks talks and nothing is registering for me.

What were you expecting? Maybe some pretty pictures followed with some hand gestures to get his point across? Why are people negative just for the sake of being negative without actually contributing to the discussion?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, because you're the second person I've seen recently who used these machines as examples of iterative power bumps.

They just weren't. The 5200 couldn't play 2600 games, nor could the 2600 play 5200 games. The 7800 couldn't play 5200 games, nor could the 5200 play 7800 games.

These were standard generational divides.

Not only am I well aware of their incompatibility, I actually owned all three of them - including at once, because they weren't cross-compatible - my list was about intent - I also included personal computers with mixed abilities. I was simply listing historical attempts to achieve the subject of the OP - some were literal and "successful" and some were technical and philosophical failures. But there was NOTHING standard about them as generational divies and in fact both the 7800 and the 5200 roundly failed to provide sufficiently meanigful bumps compared to say, IntelliVision, ColecoVision or even Vectrex(which is kind of a sideways improvement).

The 7800 attempted to atone for the 5200's mistakes (and was too late - not powerful enough and a victim of Atari's sale) and could obviously play 2600 games - but was weak or not distinctive enough in comparison to impending and existing competitors. And (one of) the original intent(s) of the 5200 was to BE b/c and it was shelved to create better marketing/tech distinction (you can buy an adapter that's more or less a physical adapter) as opposed to cost savings. When it bombed the 7800 reconsidered that aspect.

And further, the 5200 and 7800 both used near-identical hardware to the 400/800 computers, but again were deliberately incompatible for internal political and marketing reasons. All of which is a long way to say, this is the subject we're discussing in the OP. But they were NOT standard generational divides. In fact the cadence and idea of generations was a nascent phenomenon.

As I noted in my original post - computers provided a better model for comparison, and were to all intents and purposes, consoles for most users. And more powerful, flexible ones at that.

Thorrgal

Why not, worked for them in the past, it will probably be BC but come year 2 of the console I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing Scorpio only titles, contradicting whatever they say today.

Why would anyone make games for a miniscule installed base of say 10-20M scorpios when in a couple of years there will be 130M+ PS4'd+XBONE's. Please do tell.y

firelogic

have you seen a Scorpio dev unit running? you seem to be making bold claims like they are fact

It doesn't really matter how powerful it is when it's handcuffed by the XB1. The thing plays the same games as XB1 and won't have any exclusives. Not sure why people think it's going to cause a paradigm shift in Microsoft's favour. If they show off the Scorpio with a bunch of exclusive games that make full use of the hardware, then yeah, it could turn things around but the reasons why people aren't buying an XB1 aren't going to change with the Scorpio.

Why would anyone make games for a miniscule installed base of say 10-20M scorpios when in a couple of years there will be 130M+ PS4'd+XBONE's. Please do tell.y

Just to answer your question, not because I'm debating if it will have exclusives or not:

Because the most hardcore would own those Scorpios. The players who spend the most on games. Not your annual COD/Madden/2K only players. BTW there is nothing wrong with those games, I'm just saying there is a population that plays mainly those.

firelogic

I agree, and while a hardware refresh will obviously benefit the brand it's really a raft of new software they need to accompany Scorpio. It's really make or break year for MS as I expect to see a bunch of new games that Spencer commissioned when he took hold of the Xbox reigns in early 2014. The timing is right and he needs to prove he's more than just words.

That's just it though, there isn't a raft of software to accompany the Scorpio. Any games we know about or don't know about are all on XB1. If the XB1 library hasn't been good enough to get people to buy it, what makes a more expensive and more powerful Scorpio that plays the same games a good idea to those people?

Like I've said before, if it really was a new gen console with new gen games while being fully BC with XB1, Scorpio would be something to really look forward to and could change MS's fortunes against Sony. Sadly, that's not the case.

MilkyJoe

I imagine the x86 (+ UWP) will make the games easily scalable, like PC Low to High setting, and they can start building for the Pro/Scorpio and then scale back for the vanilla version. I would assume both Sony and MS would encourage this, if not mandate it, to encourage adoption of the new boxes.

Can someone explain to me how the PS4 Pro reveal was a "shit show", everyone in attendance came away impressed and thought it was very telling. How is that a shit show? Is it a shit show because you didn't have the adequate technology to view it in its optimal state so you thought it was terrible? This shit is so stupid. You couldn't watch it in 4K and HDR and that's Sony's fault.

Hey guys I watched the reveal on a 1080p compressed stream and I couldn't tell the difference.

jdmonmou

Building a PC has gotten much easier. When Microsoft announced Play Anywhere it motivated a lot of people who weren't interested in PC gaming before to jump in. Microsoft is hoping that PC gamers will also buy a Scorpio because with Play Anywhere you only have to buy a game once to access it on both platforms. However, PC gamers realize that a PC & PS4 combo provides access to a bigger game library. I understand Microsoft doesn't really care as long as those people on PC are buying games off the Windows 10 store but it does diminish the value proposition of a Scorpio quite a bit.

KodiakGT

It doesn't really matter how powerful it is when it's handcuffed by the XB1. The thing plays the same games as XB1 and won't have any exclusives. Not sure why people think it's going to cause a paradigm shift in Microsoft's favour. If they show off the Scorpio with a bunch of exclusive games that make full use of the hardware, then yeah, it could turn things around but the reasons why people aren't buying an XB1 aren't going to change with the Scorpio.

Maybe we just have fundamentally different views of the market, but I would be willing to bet there are a large percentage of people who bought PS4 because it is more powerful for multiplatform games. I don't think exclusives have the sway they used to, with the exception of Uncharted.

HAWDOKEN

It is pretty simple really. Sony exclusives cater to the audience that is interested in SP games. Big third party games like destiny, cod, battlefield, battlefront,gta online, titanfall etc.... cover them on the mp games front. Ms on the other hand is offering more mp centric games which the market is already saturated with and hence the reason they are on the decline because of too much competition. Not to say they don't offer sp games but either they are small in scale or few and far in between.

This is a very insightful and reasonable post. To take it a bit further, MS doesn't seem to really invest in new IP long term and I suspect it's because they don't think that the ROI on establishing a franchise is worth the investment.

I think Quantum Break is an example of a franchise that warrants a long term investment and could serve as a tent pole franchise for MS in the future. However, as far as I can tell, that game won't get a sequel and I think that's a shame because I enjoyed it. Despite it's flaws, QB has a solid core that deserves to be expanded and explored further.

Can someone explain to me how the PS4 Pro reveal was a "shit show", everyone in attendance came away impressed and thought it was very telling. How is that a shit show? Is it a shit show because you didn't have the adequate technology to view it in its optimal state so you thought it was terrible? This shit is so stupid. You couldn't watch it in 4K and HDR and that's Sony's fault.

Hey guys I watched the reveal on a 1080p compressed stream and I couldn't tell the difference.

It had no energy and they didn't seem confident. No drums for that one. I still got one though...

jdmonmou

People were kind of sour on the idea of a PS4 Pro going in and Sony really didn't do anything to convince people that were skeptical of the console to upgrade. Also, they didn't really go into detail on how there would be graphics improvements for 1080p gaming. I think they just briefly mentioned it. Coming out of the reveal the message was that the PS4 Pro is really only for those that already own a 4K TV. And, the triple decker PS4 Pro aesthetic didn't impress a lot of people.

People were kind of sour on the idea of a PS4 Pro going in and Sony really didn't do anything to convince people that were skeptical of the console to upgrade. Also, they didn't really go into detail on how there would be graphics improvements for 1080p gaming. I think they just briefly mentioned it. Coming out of the reveal the message was that the PS4 Pro is really only for those that already own a 4K TV. And, the triple decker PS4 Pro aesthetic didn't impress a lot of people.

So the people in attendance were impressed and those who watched on a 1080 compressed stream was not. Yes they did go into detail about graphic changes several times showing downsampled, 4K ect... Again, people on a stream didn't get to see the quality and assumed.

I think some of you just didn't watch the stream and was writing essays instead of paying attention. They show Shadow of Mordor for 1080 benefits and a couple of other games.

Explain to me why Digital Foundry came away impressed? And they were in attendance. If you watch from a stream you can't offer a real critique.

Brewmont

Banned
Building a PC has gotten much easier. When Microsoft announced Play Anywhere it motivated a lot of people who weren't interested in PC gaming before to jump in. Microsoft is hoping that PC gamers will also buy a Scorpio because with Play Anywhere you only have to buy a game once to access it on both platforms. However, PC gamers realize that a PC & PS4 combo provides access to a bigger game library. I understand Microsoft doesn't really care as long as those people on PC are buying games off the Windows 10 store but it does diminish the value proposition of a Scorpio quite a bit.

I think the point that's being missed here, is that people project their knowledge of the gaming world onto the larger gaming population, and use that as an example against Xbox as a platform. Ignoring the fact that the majority of gamers are not as plugged in, so no they did not become interested in PC gaming by and large. This "well the game is already on PC so it's not really an exclusive" problem doesn't exist in the minds of most people that Microsoft is trying to reach.

Thorrgal

I imagine the x86 (+ UWP) will make the games easily scalable, like PC Low to High setting, and they can start building for the Pro/Scorpio and then scale back for the vanilla version. I would assume both Sony and MS would encourage this, if not mandate it, to encourage adoption of the new boxes.

Yeah the comment I was answering too said that they would leave behind the XBONE and make games exclusively for Scorpio ;)

Edit:"Scorpio only titles" is the exact quote

jdmonmou

So the people in attendance were impressed and those who watched on a 1080 compressed stream was not. Yes they did go into detail about graphic changes several times showing downsampled, 4K ect... Again, people on a stream didn't get to see the quality and assumed.

I think some of you just didn't watch the stream and was writing essays instead of paying attention. They show Shadow of Mordor for 1080 benefits and a couple of other games.

Explain to me why Digital Foundry came away impressed? And they were in attendance. If you watch from a stream you can't offer a real critique.

But the point of a reveal event is to sell the console to people watching on the stream. Most people can't make it there in person or afford the high-quality 4K displays that Sony was using to present the console.

Not to mention that once you have a PC you'll be dying to use the Windows Store, every PC gamer on here seems to adore it!

It's like in one breath people want to say how they will never touch the Windows Store, won't buy games there, etc, but then at the same time harp on about how Xbox has no exclusives. My dude, if you think NO ONE is going to the Windows Store then it mine as well be exclusive. Can't have it both ways

jdmonmou

I think the point that's being missed here, is that people project their knowledge of the gaming world onto the larger gaming population, and use that as an example against Xbox as a platform. Ignoring the fact that the majority of gamers are not as plugged in, so no they did not become interested in PC gaming by and large. This "well the game is already on PC so it's not really an exclusive" problem doesn't exist in the minds of most people that Microsoft is trying to reach.

You do realize you are making an assumption as well by saying most gamers aren't plugged in and don't care about the PC platform?

MilkyJoe

Not to mention that once you have a PC you'll be dying to use the Windows Store, every PC gamer on here seems to adore it!

It's like in one breath people want to say how they will never touch the Windows Store, won't buy games there, etc, but then at the same time harp on about how Xbox has no exclusives. My dude, if you think NO ONE is going to the Windows Store then it mine as well be exclusive. Can't have it both ways

Good shout, and don't forget that if they do end up buying it on PC they have given MS the finger by buying it off of them for PC... That showed them... Oh...

Rocket League in 4K has really tempted me to buy a pro and a 4k TV (and horizon also added), but saving my money till I have Kinda Funny Live 3 (from the UK) all booked and paided for, and will wait till i get back just incase of unexpected expenseses. My launch day PS4 is getting noisey and have PSVR so lots of benfits to the pro. Think Tim has kind of talked Colin and Greg down about the pro a lot he is very possative about it expecially for horizon.

So did that sneakers guy ever come back after people asked him how he knows that Playgrounds game isn't MS published?

latest

Brewmont

Banned
You do realize you are making an assumption as well by saying most gamers aren't plugged in and don't care about the PC platform?

In terms of the general casual gaming population that they are trying to reach, no I am not. Just compare sales figures of games on consoles vs PC. Also just use common sense: the majority of people want the easiest cheapest solution. Anecdotally, of everyone I've ever met or played with in real life I know just one person who owns a gaming PC.

Great gif lol

I remember he was one of the ones talking about the state of affairs at xbox after Scalebound's cancellation and some people, myself included (for some reason), took him seriously. Has there ever been anything to indicate that he actually has inside info?
Just the Mahvel Infinite situation. I don't know about anything else though.

But the point of a reveal event is to sell the console to people watching on the stream. Most people can't make it there in person or afford the high-quality 4K displays that Sony was using to present the console.

I don't recall Sony is stating that at all, that is an assumption you made. They presented the PS4 Pro to invitees and provided a stream for those who wanted to watch. And they stated that those on the stream would not get the full benefit of the presentation because of the limitations of streaming technology. They also stated that they would have material to be downloaded for those interested.

I don't think you guys pay attention.

MilkyJoe

In terms of the general casual gaming population that they are trying to reach, no I am not. Just compare sales figures of games on consoles vs PC. Also just use common sense: the majority of people want the easiest cheapest solution. Anecdotally, of everyone I've ever met or played with in real life I know just one person who owns a gaming PC.

They'll bring figures of steam accounts back compared to ..... other stuff. But I see you, like me, don't have any PC gaming friends. Well I have one, he lives on the other side of the world, does that count? I used to have a PC, but it was an arse ache and I never bothered to renew it. It is under the stairs though, so does this make me a liar? Where were we? Oh yes PC gaming, yeah that's no more for everyone than building your own car or hunting for your own dinner is.

If putting console exclusives on PC was as detrimental as people think is, Xbox One S would have flopped outright because Microsoft has been releasing their entire lineup on PC for almost a full year now. Their entire 2016 lineup released on PC and it didn't matter because people playing on console are for the most part, console gamers. I know it shocked me too.

This is a very insightful and reasonable post. To take it a bit further, MS doesn't seem to really invest in new IP long term and I suspect it's because they don't think that the ROI on establishing a franchise is worth the investment.

I think Quantum Break is an example of a franchise that warrants a long term investment and could serve as a tent pole franchise for MS in the future. However, as far as I can tell, that game won't get a sequel and I think that's a shame because I enjoyed it. Despite it's flaws, QB has a solid core that deserves to be expanded and explored further.

In the old MS vs PS debate this pretty much is the only important point. After all, at the end of the day it's the games people play, the gigaflops and framerates and, well, just about everything else is quiet pointless if the games are not there to be played on them.

To my mind, the one thing Sony have done pretty much spot on since they launched the PS1 is invest in first party studios and consistently take chances on new IP. Others may call it hype but if they can keep delivering games like Uncharted and Last of Us then quiet frankly I'm sold.

MS just don't seem to be consistent with titles Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Pirates. They seem very few and far between. They seem to keep going back and relying on the popularity of MP classics like Forza and Halo.

I've said before, depending on what Sony do next, MS have a window of opportunity between Last of Us 2/Death Stranding and the launch of the PS5. Assuming there even is a gap, if they can fill it with titles that can excite then their hardware has a chance.

Personally I think Sony's first party line up, along with the PS4 Pro, is strong enough to hold back any real competition of the Scorpio at least until the end of the current known line up of up coming titles.

The only people I can see buying into Scorpio before then are either those already invested in the XBox platform and looking for a 4K upgrade, or those who can afford to run multiple platforms. Even that later group may want to way up the Scorpio vs Switch question since Nintendo do tend to have the better first party games.

It's always the same argument. People say they want more diverse games. People respond with a list of diverse games. Original people then respond saying they don't like any of those games.

What original people should just say is that Xbox doesn't have any Japanese games, not diverse games. Then we wouldn't have these silly list wars.

Thats not really true. Take for instance let us talk about platformer. On the PS4 you can point to knack and rachet and clank being biggest examples. Form what I played I did not like knack but thought R&C was great. On the one though, we can point to Recore and Ori. Recore didn't win over many people and the fantastic Ori, also happens to be on PC. So it goes to show that people that have another console and a PC, it may be a bad idea for MS to push play anywhere. If enough formerly console exclusive titles come to PC, people simply won't need to purchase an xbox anymore.

The issue here is not only diversity but amount of games in each genre. Where as MS fills a niche with a single franchise, the more that is released for PS4 the more you have multiple options within a genre. It only seems to be growing. At this rate they may hit PS2 levels a few more years out.

If putting console exclusives on PC was as detrimental as people think is, Xbox One S would have flopped outright because Microsoft has been releasing their entire lineup on PC for almost a full year now. Their entire 2016 lineup released on PC and it didn't matter because people playing on console are for the most part, console gamers. I know it shocked me too.

I purchased a one S because it was a capable UHD player. Other than that there was no reason to upgrade from my original one. It is almost as if.... there are more reasons to purchase a one S besides console games. It happens to be great at playing disc media, streaming media, being a cable box and just generally being a capable all in one media player. I know, you may be shocked again because you didn't think of that. You're welcome.

rokkerkory

I don't get the argument that it is somehow bad for games to also be playable on PC and X1. Play Anywhere has actually sold a few coworkers to pick up an Xbox so they can play their games on the couch as well.

Having more options to play games is somehow bad for xbox, when xbox platforms include PC.

blakep267

Yeah like for example if you take the recent gears cross play test, it was something along the lines of 10% W10 users and 90% Xbox users. Now that can't be extrapolated to sales and we can't say that every W10 user participated in the test, but the vast majority of people would likely still play it on console.

sirronoh

I don't get the argument that it is somehow bad for games to also be playable on PC and X1. Play Anywhere has actually sold a few coworkers to pick up an Xbox so they can play their games on the couch as well.

Having more options to play games is somehow bad for xbox, when xbox platforms include PC.

It's a bit of both though, which is where the back and forth is coming in.

There are people who consider it an advantage to have Play Anywhere because, like you just said, they can then play the same games they were already going to play on the couch on Xbox. I'm sure there are more similar reasons in support of this.

On the other hand, there are people who may be somewhat interested in games on Xbox that can't be found elsewhere but aren't interested in spending the money on an Xbox console. To those people, if they already have a Windows 10 computer and one of Microsoft's first-party games comes to the Windows store, they can just settle for playing the game that way, instead of buying a console for it.

So it goes both way. It's both an advantage and disadvantage depending on the individual's needs.

The PC stuff matters for people who are on message boards like us (if I ever get really interested in Xbox games, I would just look into PC gaming). Otherwise, the mass market doesn't care and they probably don't even know. I mean, the big third party games on consoles are released on PC too but the consoles still manage to make up the vast majority of sales. People don't care.

Wedzi

Banned
If anything having Xbox games on PC gives them more exposure. Good for generating hype. Like I imagine there's lots of PC centric gamers that would ignore Sea of Thieves or Crackdown but being on PC might get them to play it, especially twitchers and youtubers. The pros definitely out way the cons, I just wish Microsoft would turn the Xbox app into a pretty good store front like Steam or the Blizzard launcher.

Top Bottom