• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Was Right: Xbox's E3 Gambit (Feb 23)

Bulby

Ok...here i am, bruh..

Sunset Overdrive - i will buy if it's on PS4 but it's not something i will buy one console for
Ori - Probably will get on PC...if i had a decent PC
Halo Wars 2 - Sorry, no interest on Halo universe
Forza - Sorry, other than burnout and daytona, never like racers
Quantum Break - eh....no.
Sea of Thieves - Believe me...i watched almost every video of this game and still had no idea what this game is supposed to be to say i like it or not
Rare Collection - I believe i played almost everyone of these games on a Project64 emulator
360 BC - I don't have any 360 backlog so zero value added personally. Lost Odyssey is cool though
Halo - My answer above...also to add...Halo is wwaaayy past its prime.
Gears - Same opinion as Halo

I will say Scalebound is the one that 'might' tip the favor for me as a PS4 only owner to get an Xbox but that's not even a thing anymore. Killer Instinct also seems cool but it's on PC so i will rather beef up my PC to get it there. MS seems more interested to show off the Cloud tech of Crackdown 3 than its gameplay to have me form an opinion on it.

I dont really get the point of this. You are just listing games and saying you dont like them. A lot of people do like them. If you dont like Xbox, thats ok. It doesnt have to appeal to everyone

MilkyJoe

Ok...here i am, bruh..

Sunset Overdrive - i will buy if it's on PS4 but it's not something i will buy one console for
Ori - Probably will get on PC...if i had a decent PC
Halo Wars 2 - Sorry, no interest on Halo universe
Forza - Sorry, other than burnout and daytona, never like racers
Quantum Break - eh....no.
Sea of Thieves - Believe me...i watched almost every video of this game and still had no idea what this game is supposed to be to say i like it or not
Rare Collection - I believe i played almost everyone of these games on a Project64 emulator
360 BC - I don't have any 360 backlog so zero value added personally. Lost Odyssey is cool though
Halo - My answer above...also to add...Halo is wwaaayy past its prime.
Gears - Same opinion as Halo

I will say Scalebound is the one that 'might' tip the favor for me as a PS4 only owner to get an Xbox but that's not even a thing anymore. Killer Instinct also seems cool but it's on PC so i will rather beef up my PC to get it there. MS seems more interested to show off the Cloud tech of Crackdown 3 than its gameplay to have me form an opinion on it.

In contrast there is only one game that will get me to buy a PS4 and that's Ace Combat 7.

Maximus P

These two. Not much one can do to overcome the other while at the same time trying to distinguish itself as different.

Just to be clear Colin said:

Colin said:
"While Playstaion4 Pros reveal in New York was nothing short of a shit show, and while the very fact that the Pros existence is questionable to some, Sony beat them to the punch with a iterative console. Pro is underwhelming and even a little boring, sure, but it's out there and people are buying a playing the console in not inconsequential numbers.

Microsoft however can sit back and watch how the media market and gamers in like, responded . They can adjust accordingly. Project Scorpio has the potential to be something bigger and better than that, a console tweaked to respond to an evolving market,Microsoft just needs to play it's cards right."

From what I gather he doesn't like the pro and the way it was marketed and he thinks the Scorpio has the potential to be something better if Microsoft market the device in a better way. Which I think we can all agree with. I don't think its as black and white as 'Scorpio>Pro' as some may suggest in this thread.

I wish i could understand the constant hype for Sony's games. I own a PS4 since the start of the generation. (got a Xbone in 2014 after Kinect got dropped :) ) Before i was a 360 owner.
But all i played on PS4 were 3rd party games. Sony lacks all the Multiplayer stuff i get from Microsoft. And that still hasnt changed almost 4 years into this generation.

Just because some of you dont like the games Microsoft is putting out this year etc doesnt mean they have no games. They have.

BUT i agree that the constant 3 pillars (Halo, Forza, Gears) get pretty boring, especially when 1 studio has a very lackluster trackrecord with their games.
Halo already died to me. 343 just doesnt get it.
Only like the FH games, dont care about the Motorsport games.
Gears 4 was okey but nothing special.

So yeah i kinda agree that Microsoft has to step it up but this doom and gloom around Microsoft just because a new Sony game released gets really annoying on this board.

Microsoft will probably market the hell out of Scorpio even when they dont have marketing deals for some of the fall games.

I still think that power will sell Scorpio. The 3rd Party games will sell Scorpio.

Johnohno

It's always the same argument. People say they want more diverse games. People respond with a list of diverse games. Original people then respond saying they don't like any of those games.

What original people should just say is that Xbox doesn't have any Japanese games, not diverse games. Then we wouldn't have these silly list wars.

Maledict

It's always the same argument. People say they want more diverse games. People respond with a list of diverse games. Original people then respond saying they don't like any of those games.

What original people should just say is that Xbox doesn't have any Japanese games, not diverse games. Then we wouldn't have these silly list wars.

The Xbox doesn't have any exclusive rpgs, full stop. That's a fairly big hole in your library!

Blindy

As an XB1 owner my problem of what Microsoft may end up doing

1) The very worst thing they can do is waste more than 1/4 of their conference on the Scorpio which they may very well end up doing. It just continues to make the day one buyers of the XB1 look bad. These loyal buyers want to get games, not apps or controller skins. Maybe there are people willing and want to jump to this console but not everyone has the funds or ability to do so and I think for a brand that needs software more than anything, I think showing off the Scorpio's power vs say what you'd get on a XB1/XB1S at a time where Microsoft has 1, sometimes 2 conferences each year to showcase their games, brand etc, seems kind of negligent so I hope they have the good knowall to keep the Scorpio information at a low.

2) The system needs more diversity with the games. Try and push more single player first experiences rather than games that are marketed as multiplayer experiences. Microsoft goes for the FPS/MMORPG/Racing genre more often than not and while games like ReCore, and Killer Instinct do go against this grain there isn't enough of these breath of fresh airs on the console. This E3 needs to see more diversity, whether it's in the form of a platformer or survival horror/psychological horror(Think Alan Wake)....

A quality first party survivor horror game would be awesome for Microsoft as a key series moving forward. Whether they start a new IP or go after Dino Crisis or something to that mold is up for discussion but it is something XB1 is solely missing outside of 3rd party support ala Alien Isolation, Resident Evil 7 Evil Within etc.

I think MS mentality still believes that their big hitters need to have some sort of online/co op experience and I just don't agree with that philosophy so much. Is there one new game(Not remaster/HD) that MS has upcoming that isn't a multiplayer experience?

Blindy

There's no platformer(Though Recore was one and I am in the minority of liking it despite the flaws), Survival Horror or JRPG which are understandbly 3 very big genres that people enjoy and given they own the Alan Wake, Banjo, Conker, Lost Odyssey IPs there is absolute gripe that MS has the pieces to put forth games that hit this on home but either don't believe that these are franchises to push on home for sales or that they don't bring forth the multiplayer/online experience that MS seems infatuated with.

kyser73

I think a lot of the discussion misses what MS sees Scorpio as being.

Is it a new generation or the start of an ongoing iterative series?

Is it an opportunity to further lock in a userbase that is very happy to spend money on DLC & services - which is a model that actually precludes MS from entering some markets which simply aren't developed enough in terms of living standards and infrastructure to support such an approach.

Is it the last gasp for a dedicated Xbox console in a company that is realigning itself?

Obviously it will be a combination of internal and external forces, but if we do accept that its a new-gen, MS are trying to repeat the 360 move of jumping in up to 2 years earlier.

Finally of course, how is MS going to present Scorpio to the RotW? It may well find success in doubling-down in the US/UK and some EU markets if it doesn't completely screw the launch, but where's the growth in these markets? They're all mature markets and outside the US/UK its basically Sonyland again. Getting back to where the 360 was in the EU will be uphill enough.

MilkyJoe

post-28938-fuckin-A-man-gif-Office-Space-aAmF.gif

Nailed it.

Blindy

Who has though? The major RPGs are all multiplatform.
Pokemon(Though there's a rumor about the Pokemon switch game?)

Also, Nintendo has a working partner in Atlas that gave them Tokyo Mirage Sessions last year and is on track to give them a SMT. Xenoblade is a Nintendo franchise as well.

Persona 5 isn't PS4 exclusive but it is so far exclusive to the Sony Brand.

Thorrgal

From what I gather he doesn't like the pro and the way it was marketed and he thinks the Scorpio has the potential to be something better if Microsoft market the device in a better way. Which I think we can all agree with. I don't think its as black and white as 'Scorpio>Pro' as some may suggest in this thread.

And Sony can respond to Scorpio, and MS can respond to PS5 etc.. That's not really a valid argument.

Plus who says Pro is markete wrongly? Only in Colin's mind. I'd say the opposite is true, Pro is being marketed in the exactly right way in which is selling in good numbers AND has not affected the sales of the PS4 Slim AND hasn't pissed off the PS4 original owners (which Colin said at one point it would. Well, it hasn't)

That was a really fine balance to struck and Sony nailed it.

Excellent video as usual.

Microsoft are in serious trouble. A hardware upgrade is not going to fix their problems.

Especially now that their games are all on PC.

Sony is making a joke out them when it comes to 1st, 2nd and 3rd party games.

The timing of the scorpio is also all off. They will release it this year and it will be more powerful than PS4 Pro.

Sony will then announce the PS5 2019 and completely destroy them again.

Microsoft are in serious trouble. A hardware upgrade is not going to fix their problems.

Sony is making a joke out them when it comes to 1st, 2nd and 3rd party games.

The timing of the scorpio is also all off. They will release it this year and it will be more powerful than PS4 Pro.

Sony will then announce the PS5 2019 and completely destroy them again.

Im not joking, I genuinely feel like I want to take a shit on my Xbox, then take a hammer to it, then fling it out of the window of a 40 storey high rise and then set fire to it when it hits the ground.

Destroy! Destroy!! Destroy!!!

Still, at least I have Scorpio to look forward to this year which will be the most powerful home console available on the market for a good 2 to 3 years. The best console versions of RDR2, Battlefront, Cyberpunk 2077, etc will just have to do :)

Blindy

Sony's biggest gun in their arsenal at the moment is a survival horror series in The Last of Us. It might have surpassed God of War in terms of relevance for a Playstation owner. Kojima's Death Stranding might be a top 3 console exclusive too.

Not to say Microsoft has to match the quality of those two games but a quality survival/psychological horror game exclusive to their console caters to plenty and is always well appreciated. Close the show out with a new IP like this.

Not sure why Nintendo(Eternal Darkness? That was the Gamecube game needing a remaster over Windwaker....) nor Microsoft neglect the genre. Is it because it is a difficult blend of gameplay meets quality writing/twists?

Im not joking, I genuinely feel like I want to take a shit on my Xbox, then take a hammer to it, then fling it out of the window of a 40 storey high rise and then set fire to it when it hits the ground.

Destroy! Destroy!! Destroy!!!

Still, at least I have Scorpio to look forward to this year which will be the most powerful home console available on the market for a good 2 to 3 years. The best console versions of RDR2, Battlefront, Cyberpunk 2077, etc will just have to do :)

A bit excessive bud!

Yeah it will be for sure but for how long?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's not unnecessary if you have a 4K TV. At the same time, it's not a new gen. Neither is Scorpio.

I don't see how the two situations are different. Is Scorpio a necessary console just because it's marginally more powerful?
I wasn't arguing that the Scorpio will be more significant, but I do think MS needs it to be more significant. There is not enough info out there to say one way or the other yet, but the potential at least still exists.

yah, Colin is much more reasonable on Pro right now. I disagree with him, but at the same time it does feel kinda stupid Pro came out last year and MS comes out with a more powerful console this year. Seemed a stupid tagline for Sony to lose when they could have afforded to just wait and match specs. Then again, Horizon is kinda the poster child for Pro and that'll just hit in February. If MS has the same issue and the game that really showcases the hardware hits 2018, you gotta start asking what's really the point of these consoles instead of both companies just waiting for the big hardware leap in 2020

TBiddy

I'm always impressed by just how many people on Gaf apparantly are hardware experts with full hands-on experience with the Scorpio. I'm also impressed by how it's all about the LIST WARS in every single console thread. The amount of post-purchase rationalization is always off the charts.

I'm always impressed by just how many people on Gaf apparantly are hardware experts with full hands-on experience with the Scorpio. I'm also impressed by how it's all about the LIST WARS in every single console thread. The amount of post-purchase rationalization is always off the charts.
to be fair, this kinda happens every gen. In the beginning it's all about what's the most powerful, b/c, features and controllers. As the gen goes along, it definitely becomes mostly about who has the best library, and exclusives become important again especially to the hardcore.

It changes tune not just because of who has the most powerful console, but because what's important changes. In 2019/2020 power will become super important again.

Bulby

yah, Colin is much more reasonable on Pro right now. I disagree with him, but at the same time it does feel kinda stupid Pro came out last year and MS comes out with a more powerful console this year. Seemed a stupid tagline for Sony to lose when they could have afforded to just wait and match specs. Then again, Horizon is kinda the poster child for Pro and that'll just hit in February. If MS has the same issue and the game that really showcases the hardware hits 2018, you gotta start asking what's really the point of these consoles instead of both companies just waiting for the big hardware leap in 2020

For Sony sure. PS4 is still selling like hotcakes and shows no signs of slowing down. But as Colin stated, for MS things are only going to get worse as time goes on. They can not wait another 2/3 years to react.

Overall good video, I agree MS really needs something unique. Showing Halo 6, Forza #213241, State of Decay with two new other solid second party exclusives is not going to do it if they want to gain some real momentum. I have a feeling Sony is going to gut the PS4 price the day the Scorpio comes out, so price will be important (can't be higher than 500$ IMO). Hopefully they got some really unique features coming out. I agree that MS needed to rush out a new console since the X1 is just losing momentum, or at least it seems like it.

I'd like to see two massive scaled AAA new IPs in the shock factor like Horizon or Death Stranding where the hype is off the roof. They need something like that.

lol at Colin still calling MS's 15 E3 better than Sony who had one of the GOAT E3s ever shown #ColinStillWrong You're wrong Colin.

The whole thing here is that Colin doesn't understand - actually, he does understand, but is too stubborn to admit it - what the Pro is about.

It's a premium device, aimed at prolonging the PS4 product life-cycle and giving consumers a high tier outlet. It's a high margin product, a "this is a thing, if that's what you want" and it was visibly created and is being marketed that way. A key thing with the strategy is that it gives Sony some flexibility with pricing, so they can go lower with the base model and cover a wider reach of entry price points, all the while keeping a single, unified userbase they can address. It's marketing 101, ffs.

Colin thinks Scorpio will be something else and will be disappointed when he finds out it will be the exact same idea.

Curufinwe

Premium pricing is how you capture additional market share from consumers who wouldn't be buying the base PS4 in years 3-6. It's such a basic bit of a economics and yet he can't figure out why a console company would do it.

The Xbox doesn't have any exclusive rpgs, full stop. That's a fairly big hole in your library!

Microsoft's bigger problem is that Halo and Gears aren't as huge as they used to be, while Uncharted and TLOU are bigger than ever.

Roufianos

Colin on point as always.

I'll probably buy a Scorpio just to get the best looking versions of 3rd party games.

MS's first party is absolute ass, that fraud Matrick was cutting it down at a time it should have been expanding.

Is there any way I can get notifications (through YouTube, Twitter, whatever) of new episodes on my cellphone? I know I can subscribe to the Kinda Funny channel, but I'm only interested in Colin's show.

Johnohno

There's no platformer(Though Recore was one and I am in the minority of liking it despite the flaws), Survival Horror or JRPG which are understandbly 3 very big genres that people enjoy and given they own the Alan Wake, Banjo, Conker, Lost Odyssey IPs there is absolute gripe that MS has the pieces to put forth games that hit this on home but either don't believe that these are franchises to push on home for sales or that they don't bring forth the multiplayer/online experience that MS seems infatuated with.

I'm not saying there is no fault with the Xbox library, as there is. I'm with the people who'd love a new Lost Odyssey or a new Banjo or want more investment in new IP. Heck Alan Wake is my GOAT and I'd give my first born away for a new one
(maybe not 100% true but it'd be a serious discussion)
. My main complaint was with the fact people say there's no diversity yet overlook some of the diverse games they have purely because of tastes. I mean, they just released an RTS.

Edit: Ignore that, read it the wrong way. Not having a Fable for so long sucks :-(

Dr_Ifto

Is there any way I can get notifications (through YouTube, Twitter, whatever) of new episodes on my cellphone? I know I can subscribe to the Kinda Funny channel, but I'm only interested in Colin's show.

You have to set up notifications on the subscribe portion. On the app, click on one of their videos and next to subscribe you should see a bell icon.

Sinfamy

Given Microsoft's track record, if you believe everything you see at E3 you are a fool.
Expect at least 50% of announcements to be cancelled.

SOR5

This 👏 is 👏 not 👏 a 👏 bad thing

Microsoft didn't get their precious jewel exclusives stolen by Microsoft. Microsoft are not clever when they keep games from their own platforms.

Now their IMPLEMENTATION of games on PC could be way better, but the fact they're on PC wasn't some accidental blunder.

I actually can't fault MS approach to games right now.
They are just reading the industry tea leaves and heavily investing in multiplayer/games as a service titles like the myriad of 3rd party comapanies doing the same.

It fits in with their emphasis on MAU and XBL subs.

The only slight blunder I see is the lack of compelling marquee single player titles (e.g. a Zelda or UC4) but those probably provide very little return for Microsoft so it makes little business sense to invest there but let 3rd party carry that weight.

This �� is �� not �� a �� bad thing

Microsoft didn't get their precious jewel exclusives stolen by Microsoft. Microsoft are not clever when they keep games from their own platforms.

Now their IMPLEMENTATION of games on PC could be way better, but the fact they're on PC wasn't some accidental blunder.

Agreed.
I'd bet more than half the XB1 userbase doesn't even know you can get every exclusive on PC.

Play Anywhere doesn't hurt them one bit, and allows them to reap further profits on their own platform.
It's a smart play for a firm in their market position and strategy.

MilkyJoe

OléGunner;230929887 said:
Agreed.
I'd bet more than half the XB1 userbase doesn't even know you can get every exclusive on PC.

Play Anywhere doesn't hurt them one bit, and allows them to reap further profits on their own platform.
It's a smart play for a firm in their market position and strategy.

For some reason people out there thinking Xbox games on PC = no reason to buy an xbox or xbox is doomed "now it has no exclusives" need to brush up on remedial economics and worry a little less about not being able to enjoy something someone else can enjoy too. I bet it would kill them to think their missus had slept with someone else in her past.

The PS4 Pro, is like the Plus version of the iPhone. It's not the face of the brand, it's for people willing to spend just that bit more to get just that bit more.

We know very little of Scorpio to quantify what it really is, or how it will relate to both the PS4 Pro or the XB1.
But I can't see it doing much more for XB1 than what Pro is doing for PS4.

Colin seems to be making a lot of assumptions about Scorpio that aren't substantiated. Scorpio may well be just like PS4 Pro; an iterative improvement on what has been before.
People made similar predictions about PS4 Pro before it's reveal and we all remember how disappointed many got after that reveal.

PS: why oh why Colin, is MS putting it's game on PC a mistake?? =/

Because he's right.

pitchfork

People still talking like Xbox is tied to one generational piece of hardware. Xbox is not just console, its Microsoft's gaming platform as a whole. PC, console, mobile

drotahorror

Is this guy really full of himself or something? Having a segment saying "He is right", sure seems like it. Instantly will never watch this shit.

Part of me is convinced that they developed it to go with VR, but then decided that if you had to buy the Pro to use VR it would make it dead on arrival.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Pro and VR came out the same year.

This hits the nail on the head. I do wish it had more Japanese support and I hope Phil can convince Bandai Namco to release Win10/XBO Play anywhere titles. The XBOX is diverse, it's just short on anime games if that's your thing.

I think MS is going to prioritize Scorpio and try to leave the X1S as the secondary option.

This is going to depend on price point for sure but I do think MS is trying to reset the table.

Their first party games will never match up to Ninty and Sony tho, I don't think anything will change that so well have to see.
Why not, worked for them in the past, it will probably be BC but come year 2 of the console I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing Scorpio only titles, contradicting whatever they say today.

Top Bottom