• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 10| LACES OUT

There's still football to play. Alabama, Oregon, or Florida State could all trip up somewhere.

Although, imagine 3 or 4 undefeated teams at the end of the year, how much more of a joke the MNC would be. Good thing next year is 4 teams, but it would be better at 8.

Piggus

Keep gettin' mad, Yaboosh. We ended last season at #2 and here we are. Our high preseason ranking was just as much deserved as Bama's.

Miami and Clemson remind me of Notre Dame last year. They are both mediocre despite their lucky close-call wins but as soon as they face someone good they get the shit kicked out of them.Tthey're the only two okay teams you guys play. The rest of your schedule is terrible. Our schedule isn't great either if we get past Stanford but it's still better than yours going forward.

There's still football to play. Alabama, Oregon, or Florida State could all trip up somewhere.

Although, imagine 3 or 4 undefeated teams at the end of the year, how much more of a joke the MNC would be. Good thing next year is 4 teams, but it would be better at 8.
Is it true the Big 10 was the last real holdout on any playoff scenario?

Quake1028

Well, realistically it was a 10-2 possibility. Miami always has horses though, I bet Crawford will be enough to get you to the rematch with us.

Nah, it was 11-1. 7-1 with a last four of va tech, duke, virginia and pitt. That is 11-1 with Duke. Without him? We will see.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Keep gettin' mad, Yaboosh. We ended last season at #2 and here we are. Our high preseason ranking was just as much deserved as Bama's.

Miami and Clemson remind me of Notre Dame last year. They are both mediocre despite their lucky close-call wins but as soon as they face someone good they get the shit kicked out of them.Tthey're the only two okay teams you guys play. The rest of your schedule is terrible. Our schedule isn't great either if we get past Stanford but it's still better than yours going forward.

Alabama deserves it, but FSU and Oregon are fairly arguable. Not arguing that if both win out FSU should be ahead of Oregon. I am saying we should be ahead of Oregon this week, in both the polls and the bcs. We have better wins so far than you guys.

But best case scenario for us is if you win out and we win out and Bama loses. We have a far better shot at beating you guys than beating Bama.

But I loathe the third wheel argument, so hopefully there are lots of losses int he final stretch so we can have a clear MNC game.

Nah, it was 11-1. 7-1 with a last four of va tech, duke, virginia and pitt. That is 11-1 with Duke. Without him? We will see.

Beware the Blue Devils.

Believe.

Miami and Clemson remind me of Notre Dame last year. They are both mediocre despite their lucky close-call wins but as soon as they face someone good they get the teeth kicked out of them. They're the only two okay teams you guys play. The rest of your schedule is terrible. Our schedule isn't great either if we get past Stanford but it's still better than yours going forward.

Say what you will about Miami, but Clemson is destroying folks. Georgia Tech might make me eat my words on that in two weeks, and they've still got South Carolina to end the season, but Clemson is legitimate.

Phone died during the game so I wasn't able to comment yesterday.

I said a few weeks ago that I wouldn't be surprised with a win or a loss in any of our remaining games so yesterday didn't really kick me in the gut or anything. Penalties, turnovers, can't stop the run; pretty familiar refrain in Lubbock in recent years.

On the plus side, the team and fans were still in it even when things looked really bad and you couldn't say that over other recent seasons. Get down 21-0 in the first quarter last season and the team would have folded right off, but this year they continued to play hard and be competitive. Take away just a handful of the big plays we gave up (punt return, Chelf run) and that's a really close game IMO instead of OSU controlling it the whole way. Leadership from the players and motivation from the coaches are both way up.

Webb continues to play pretty well overall, and I love his spirit, but his bad pass rate is going up a bit. Overthrows too much, led his receivers downfield on some screens that could have been batted or picked, and some of those picks were real headscratchers. Needs to get better at throwing around DL (and rushing LBs to some extent) as he's throwing a lot of battable passes. He has more good plays than bad plays but some of his bad plays are just so momentum changing. We're in great hands with him in the future but his freshman continues to show more the later in the season we get. Really excited to see him next season (or be really confident if a guy like Brewer beats him out).

That run D...ugh. And we lose a lot of our best DL after this season. Ugh.

Never thought we were really good enough to be a top 10 team but top 25 fits pretty well IMO. May be tough to keep even that at this point, though; have to figure we'll be in the 20s after this, Baylor is clearly more likely to beat us than not, and KSU and UT seem to be hitting their strides. Win 2 of 3 and we finish ranked IMO, 1 of 3 and we are in the "also receiving votes" section. That KSU game next week continues to look more and more shaky for us as our run D appears to get worse and their hall of fame coach still roams the sidelines to gameplan a freshman QB. 11 am kick as well. 1 and 2 would be a good finish at this point (and still ahead of preseason expectations).

Agree with all that.

Last week you said Webb looked like a freshman QB and I balked. This game, I'd say he really looked like a freshman QB.

I was happy with the effort shown after everything possible went wrong. You can't spot a good team like OSU 21 pts and come out with a win realistically, even at the Jones. But at least the team kept fighting.

I'm not terribly optimistic about the rest of the season though. Totally agree the last few games could shake out in any possible combination of W/Ls and I would not be surprised. On one hand, the blueprint is out there on how to beat this defense--if they can't stop the run better and more consistently, especially missing the players we're missing now, the rest of the season is going to be ugly. The only thing that throws a wildcard onto the pile is the fact that this team still has not played it's best game yet. If that happens, and they play a near-perfect game, I still think Tech can hang with anybody on the remaining schedule.

I'm still hyped though about Texas Tech football. I think, with Kliff and this staff, (even though they've been hit a bit by the "learning curve" the last two weeks against Stoops and Gundy,) there's still a lot of upside for the long-term, even if we don't see it all materialize this season. The foundation for a winning attitude at least is being established. The only bummer is knowing that these last few years have seen the superpowers somewhat down, and we probably will look back on this whole period as a real lost opportunity to take advantage.

MIMIC

Banned
A new friend of mine invited me over to watch the game. He went to FSU.

I had to pretend that I didn't (desperately) want Miami to win. lol

Undefeateds update

There hasn't been a non-SEC team since Oklahoma in 2008 to get a bid for the national championship game with a blemished record. So if your team is not in the SEC and you have a loss, you're probably out of luck. Anyways only 1 undefeated went down this week so here are the current 7undefeated teams by conference.

ACC:
Miami 7-1
Florida St. 8-0

Big 12:
Baylor 7-0

B1G:
Ohio St. 9-0

MAC:
Northern Illinois: 9-0

MWC:
Fresno St. 8-0

Pac 12:
Oregon 8-0

SEC:
Alabama 8-0

No undefeated teams in:
CUSA
Independents
Sunbelt
AAC

And just for shits and giggles, here is the winless list:

U-Conn 0-7
Southern Miss 0-8
Miami (OH) 0-8
Hawaii 0-8
Georgia St. 0-9

This was the last week that an undefeated team was guaranteed to lose. Each of the 5 major conferences has ONE undefeated team, which means a substantial upset will need to occur for one to go down in the last few weeks of the season.

This week we have Baylor v. Oklahoma, Stanford v. Oregon, and LSU v. Alabama so to avoid BCS chaos, at least one of these undefeateds need to go down this week otherwise I don't see any way we have less than 3 undefeated teams from major conferences by the end of the year.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Baylor will probably lose to OU, but if not, things might get interesting.

Also, Miami OH should have won last week, that would have been perfect with Miami FL losing.

cashman

Banned
Baylor will probably lose to OU, but if not, things might get interesting.

Also, Miami OH should have won last week, that would have been perfect with Miami FL losing.

OU is pretty terrible and the game is at Floyd Casey. The Bears will skull fuck them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I figured OU would be their biggest test, if they got by them they could probably win out. Maybe that just shows how little I've paid attention to the B12 this season though.

Still, Baylor has a really backloaded schedule, even if they're legit they're probably still going to drop a game before it's over.

Pimpwerx

Florida guys want Brent Pease out??? Lets see what GAF members said when he was being hired back in 2011!

Chunky QB was right!

Thanks for getting Pease!
Pease isn't the problem with the offense. The offense sucked with the Schematic Advantage as well. There's something else amiss with the team. I want Muschamp gone because regardless of the offense, it's clear he can't recruit for shit. PEACE.

tokkun

1390596_10151632492095771_1940078671_n.png

Don't worry. Miami players probably not willing to take that kind of pay cut.

Kacar

Go bucks!

Gotta have at least Oregon and Bama lose this week. Otherwise I don't see how we will get in. Shameful how terrible the Big Ten is this year. But our Wisconsin win keeps looking better and better.

bachikarn

Pease isn't the problem with the offense. The offense sucked with the Schematic Advantage as well. There's something else amiss with the team. I want Muschamp gone because regardless of the offense, it's clear he can't recruit for shit. PEACE.

Pease is definitely a huge problem. I agree it;s ultimately Muschamp (he hired Pease and/or he dictates the offensive philosophy). If you look at Pease's resume, it is super average. A good year at Kentucky, and then several really bad years at Baylor.

He then goes to Boise for a while as WR coach, and gets one year at OC and he lights it up with Kellen Moore as his QB. I hoped he learned a lot from Petersen and Boise, and Saban also wanting him (although it's possible that was BS, and something Pease's agent leaked to the media), suggested he did.

Someone dug up a thread from a Baylor forum, and the complaints about him are identical to what people have now of him. He is a really shitty OC.

We are 113th in total offense. I don't know how that is even possible.

Pretty solid performance against the Bye again this week. 3-0 on the season. Managed to move up in the Coaches and Harris polls. Probably will move up a spot in BCS too.

Sad that a 62-17 dismantling of UConn last week kept us idle but a Bye win moves us up. :(

I would imagine that Oregon will re-jump FSU pretty easily assuming both win out based on remaining opponents' records. FSU remaining opponents 13-21, Oregon's are 23-10. FSU would probably get double secret bonus points for beating Florida, though.

ag-my001

UTEP is so bad, beating them by 50 points drops A&M three spots, including getting passed by LSU on a bye week.

(Not going ballistic like the TexAgs crowd. I understand how computer rankings work, and wins against LSU and Mizzou will have us comfortably in the Top 10, likely above Auburn.)

I love that ESPN refuses to comprehend the American is the same legal entity as the Big East and the autoqualifyer is still there.

At least the second time on air they seem to think Fresno or NIU will bump out the American champ.

They can suck it! Hope we finish lower than one or both of them to 1. fuck the Fiesta bowl and 2. keep some other otherwise at large team out because NIU/Fresno took their spot.

Meier

Ahh, I forgot about the ol 12 game schedule. I just meant you guys would lose to us in the championship game as well in all likelihood. Think you'll still get there -- Va Tech is flat out not good.

Top Bottom