• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 10| LACES OUT

GG FSU, we will see you later. And probably lose again but whatever. Give us a few years, Golden will take us back to where we belong, winning championships.

Hey Miami and FSU fans, whats it like to suck for an extended amount of time?

It has been reaaaaallly awkward being in Tallahasse from '89 to 2000 and then moving away to NC and having to deal with the State upsets.

I have basically assumed for a decade or so that the team will either not be very good, or be very good and screw the pooch. It's such a different mindset than in the 90s, where anything but a national title game was a bad season.

Hey Miami and FSU fans, whats it like to suck for an extended amount of time?

Surreal. The first few years I literally couldn't believe we were in the same class as I ranked teams. I went to UM in 2001, during the greatest college football team in history. But it's been so long and we sucked so long that I just went into dolphins mode, meaning I learned to go numb.

Pimpwerx

Well, that was completely expected. Point spread covered by the Noles too. It could've been a whole hell of a lot worse. Moral victories and whatnot.

I fear for my Gators. We're gonna lose by like 40. This Noles team is for real. PEACE.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Oh Auburn, I thought you hated all these fake injuries to stop your fast pace.

swainpain.gif

There are two top 10 matchups next week, and both are on Thursday. I prefer Thursdays to be a Saturday appetizer, not the main course of CFB

Also, CFB will be played on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday next week.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
There are two top 10 matchups next week, and both are on Thursday. I prefer Thursdays to be a Saturday appetizer, not the main course of CFB

Also, CFB will be played on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday next week.
LSU will be #10 in the AP next weekend.

We have a lot more problems than just Pease.

We have a talent gap. Alligator Army briefly talked about it. Meyer left us with part of it with his retire/unretire bullshit. But Muschamp also whiffed on some linemen and those two things are partly responsible for the meltdown. The other part being unable to hire a good OC.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
God dammit, feel horrible for Duke. A possible 11-1 year just probably went down the shitter.

If Morris can throw half as well as he did in the first half you guys will be fine. The rest of your schedule is nearly as easy as it gets. Duke is a massive loss and that is terrible, but 11-1 is still very doable for you guys if they don't lose focus like Clemson nearly did after we beat them.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Phone died during the game so I wasn't able to comment yesterday.

I said a few weeks ago that I wouldn't be surprised with a win or a loss in any of our remaining games so yesterday didn't really kick me in the gut or anything. Penalties, turnovers, can't stop the run; pretty familiar refrain in Lubbock in recent years.

On the plus side, the team and fans were still in it even when things looked really bad and you couldn't say that over other recent seasons. Get down 21-0 in the first quarter last season and the team would have folded right off, but this year they continued to play hard and be competitive. Take away just a handful of the big plays we gave up (punt return, Chelf run) and that's a really close game IMO instead of OSU controlling it the whole way. Leadership from the players and motivation from the coaches are both way up.

Webb continues to play pretty well overall, and I love his spirit, but his bad pass rate is going up a bit. Overthrows too much, led his receivers downfield on some screens that could have been batted or picked, and some of those picks were real headscratchers. Needs to get better at throwing around DL (and rushing LBs to some extent) as he's throwing a lot of battable passes. He has more good plays than bad plays but some of his bad plays are just so momentum changing. We're in great hands with him in the future but his freshman continues to show more the later in the season we get. Really excited to see him next season (or be really confident if a guy like Brewer beats him out).

That run D...ugh. And we lose a lot of our best DL after this season. Ugh.

Never thought we were really good enough to be a top 10 team but top 25 fits pretty well IMO. May be tough to keep even that at this point, though; have to figure we'll be in the 20s after this, Baylor is clearly more likely to beat us than not, and KSU and UT seem to be hitting their strides. Win 2 of 3 and we finish ranked IMO, 1 of 3 and we are in the "also receiving votes" section. That KSU game next week continues to look more and more shaky for us as our run D appears to get worse and their hall of fame coach still roams the sidelines to gameplan a freshman QB. 11 am kick as well. 1 and 2 would be a good finish at this point (and still ahead of preseason expectations).

bachikarn

We have a talent gap. Alligator Army briefly talked about it. Meyer left us with part of it with his retire/unretire bullshit. But Muschamp also whiffed on some linemen and those two things are partly responsible for the meltdown. The other part being unable to hire a good OC.

Don't buy it. Our talent is much better than three years of an offense ranked in the 100's suggest. Tons of team would love to have the talent on our team. Meyer's recruits still made of the majority of our talent last year, and this year. So I don't think Meyer left the cupboard bare or anything.

KingGondo

Banned
Phone died during the game so I wasn't able to comment yesterday.

I said a few weeks ago that I wouldn't be surprised with a win or a loss in any of our remaining games so yesterday didn't really kick me in the gut or anything. Penalties, turnovers, can't stop the run; pretty familiar refrain in Lubbock in recent years.

On the plus side, the team and fans were still in it even when things looked really bad and you couldn't say that over other recent seasons. Get down 21-0 in the first quarter last season and the team would have folded right off, but this year they continued to play hard and be competitive. Take away just a handful of the big plays we gave up (punt return, Chelf run) and that's a really close game IMO instead of OSU controlling it the whole way. Leadership from the players and motivation from the coaches are both way up.

Webb continues to play pretty well overall, and I love his spirit, but his bad pass rate is going up a bit. Overthrows too much, led his receivers downfield on some screens that could have been batted or picked, and some of those picks were real headscratchers. Needs to get better at throwing around DL (and rushing LBs to some extent) as he's throwing a lot of battable passes. He has more good plays than bad plays but some of his bad plays are just so momentum changing. We're in great hands with him in the future but his freshman continues to show more the later in the season we get. Really excited to see him next season (or be really confident if a guy like Brewer beats him out).

That run D...ugh. And we lose a lot of our best DL after this season. Ugh.

Never thought we were really good enough to be a top 10 team but top 25 fits pretty well IMO. May be tough to keep even that at this point, though; have to figure we'll be in the 20s after this, Baylor is clearly more likely to beat us than not, and KSU and UT seem to be hitting their strides. Win 2 of 3 and we finish ranked IMO, 1 of 3 and we are in the "also receiving votes" section. That KSU game next week continues to look more and more shaky for us as our run D appears to get worse and their hall of fame coach still roams the sidelines to gameplan a freshman QB. 11 am kick as well. 1 and 2 would be a good finish at this point (and still ahead of preseason expectations).
Good stuff, and it's nice to see realistic fans every now and then. Tech is definitely moving in the right direction, but they have a ways to go. It'll be good for the league if they can get back to being a solid program. KK looks like the guy who can get it done.

Still very happy about that win. I felt confident, but it was definitely losable if we didn't play well. Thankfully our defense played up to their usual standards and the offense is finally clicking (Joe Wickline can name his price as far as I'm concerned, he's the best OL coach in the country).

Really excited for next week. Barry will be at the game to celebrate the 25th anniversary of his Heisman, and I have a suspicion we'll be wearing 1988 throwbacks in tribute. Plus we're playing Kansas, so it should be nice and non-stressful.

If we can win the next two (@UT will be tough) the last two at home (Baylor, OU) will be fun as hell.

Really happy with how we've bounced back after a sluggish start and disappointing loss to WVU.

Lonestar

Florida guys want Brent Pease out??? Lets see what GAF members said when he was being hired back in 2011!

pat_dooley Pat Dooley
Looks like Brent Pease new Florida OC.

I heard we were in a bidding way with Bama for him too.

edit: damn, jk i guess

pat_dooley Pat Dooley
Muschamp text to me: "Nothing done." Take that for what it's worth

Yeah, I know we had offered. Boise State guy right?

Still, Saban's process means anyone can be OC. We run and throw screens and passes to TE.

Should go after Stanford's OC :p All TE's, All the Time.

Nothing done. Pease is visiting today, according to ISU sources. He also has to visit Bama, but they are perceived to be a long shot in comparison to UF. The sites seem to think he will likely take it, but nothing is set yet.

The USS Lorenzen is not a fan...

@JaredLorenzen22 jared lorenzen
Seriously Brent Pease at Florida? He's freaking crazy and was brutal at UK when I was there. Won't be able to handle it andwill be run out!

Chunky QB was right!

Looking like Pease to UF. We finally beat Bama in something. Moral victory!

Thanks for getting Pease!

Lonestar

Crow eating wasn't the point (for that, go back to other websites with more acrimony between fanbases, as it appears Florida fans back then were more subdued from mediocrity of Charlie Weiss). It's a thank you for taking him, from an Alabama fan.

AP Poll

Code:
1	Alabama (52)	8-0	1,491	1
2	Oregon (2)	8-0	1,418	2
3	FSU (6)	        8-0	1,409	3
4	Ohio State	9-0	1,315	4
5	Baylor	        7-0	1,234	5
6	Stanford	7-1	1,214	6
7	Auburn	        8-1	1,082	8
8	Clemson	        8-1	1,059	9
9	Missouri	8-1	956	10
10	LSU	        7-2	863	11
11	Texas A&M	7-2	861	12
12	Oklahoma	7-1	816	13
13	South Carolina	7-2	769	14
14	Miami (FL)	7-1	737	7
15	Oklahoma State	7-1	662	18
16	UCLA	        6-2	515	17
17	Fresno State	8-0	493	16
18	Michigan State	8-1	478	24
19	UCF	        6-1	472	19
20	Louisville	7-1	385	20
21	Wisconsin	6-2	342	22
22	N Illinois	9-0	322	21
23	Arizona State	6-2	197	25
24	Notre Dame	7-2	164	26
25	Texas Tech	7-2	102	15

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Oregon being ahead of FSU in the polls before facing Stanford is just silly. Arguable even after Stanford.

Miami and Clemson is a better resume than Washington and UCLA. Hell you could argue Maryland was as big a win for us as Washington was for Oregon.

I accept that Oregon is inevitably going to be ahead of us if we both win out (big if obviously) but for em to be ahead of us before beating much of anybody is just annoying preseason holdover crap.

Alabama should be number 1 regardless of who they have beaten simply because of their championships recently. Assuming they are the best is appropriate. But Oregon should have been third in the polls and the BCS this week and then retaken it next week if they beat Stanford handily.

And Stanford being ranked as highly as they are is dumb too. They lost to a shit Utah team.

Meier

God dammit, feel horrible for Duke. A possible 11-1 year just probably went down the shitter.

Well, realistically it was a 10-2 possibility. Miami always has horses though, I bet Crawford will be enough to get you to the rematch with us.

Did you guys see this yet? Lol.

1390596_10151632492095771_1940078671_n.png

Dan Sileo, a former Miami Hurricane player and radio show host who has already lost one radio job, offered a BOUNTY of $1,000 to any player who would take out Florida State's Devonta Freeman (he tweeted a picture of Timmy Jernigan, who like Freeman, also wears #8).

Sileo is employed by 640AM, an NBC Sports Radio affiliate. Website: http://wftlsports.com/

Should Sileo keep his job after this? What will the station's sponsors think?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&set=a.433648985770.221032.63264950770&type=1

Crow eating wasn't the point (for that, go back to other websites with more acrimony between fanbases, as it appears Florida fans back then were more subdued from mediocrity of Charlie Weiss). It's a thank you for taking him, from an Alabama fan.

I hope you choke on your smugness. May you lose Kirby Smart and pick up Steve Addazio.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oregon being ahead of FSU in the polls before facing Stanford is just silly. Arguable even after Stanford.

Miami and Clemson is a better resume than Washington and UCLA. Hell you could argue Maryland was as big a win for us as Washington was for Oregon.

I accept that Oregon is inevitably going to be ahead of us if we both win out (big if obviously) but for em to be ahead of us before beating much of anybody is just annoying preseason holdover crap.

Alabama should be number 1 regardless of who they have beaten simply because of their championships recently. Assuming they are the best is appropriate. But Oregon should have been third in the polls and the BCS this week and then retaken it next week if they beat Stanford handily.

And Stanford being ranked as highly as they are is dumb too. They lost to a shit Utah team.

What gets me is that even with 6 first place votes to Oregon's 2, FSU is still ranked #3. Seems like a number of people have FSU lower than 3? Edit: Just one actually, at #4.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What gets me is that even with 6 first place votes to Oregon's 2, FSU is still ranked #3. Seems like a number of people have FSU lower than 3? Edit: Just one actually, at #4.

Fucking Urban.

I am tempted to buy some Stanford tickets on Stubhub, buy a stanford shirt and go cheer for some nerds to beat those dirty Duck bastards. $80 for standing room only tickets though. Yeesh.

Top Bottom