• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 11| Thursday Night Lights

mcgruber

Iowa was 10th in 2009 when we played them. Not our fault Miami/Cal decided to start sucking when we played them.

This.

Look at the future schedules with games against virginia tech oklahoma and tcu right now. Sec will still play Uab and georgia southern for the foreseeable future.

Will anyone take schiano after he leads the buccaneers to 0 win season and drafts gary nova out of spite?

jjasper

Additionally, as Tennessean reporter Brian Haas discussed with CNN, neither the prosecution, the defense, or Vanderbilt have said who the other person was that Boyd claims to have misidentified as Carta-Samuels.

For his part, Deputy District Attorney Tom Thurman scoffed at the idea that his office would help protect a Vanderbilt player, telling CNN that he isn't Carta-Samuels' offensive line, saying that, as a Tennessee fan, “I wouldn't be protecting a Vanderbilt quarterback.”

Carta-Samuels got hurt in the Commodores' 31-27 win over Georgia on Oct. 19 and has been replaced by former Maryville star Patton Robinette.

:jnc

I was bored and only have MS Paint. :p

RosXx65.png

Womp womp wooooooooooooooomp

@TomVH 12m
JuJu Smith said he thinks Michigan is a great school, but not a fit for him. Cancelled his visit said losses caused them to drop on his list

andycapps

It's pretty bad that I am a better UM fan in Tampa than all of them are in Miami.

I would have thought that with how great they're doing that attendance would be better. But I watched one of their big home games and there were a ton of empty seats. It looked like, at best, the stadium was 2/3 full.

Quake1028

I would have thought that with how great they're doing that attendance would be better. But I watched one of their big home games and there were a ton of empty seats. It looked like, at best, the stadium was 2/3 full.

It's honestly a horrible stadium and I think like 35-40 miles from campus. Those are the excuses, anyway.

August 30 8:00 PM Florida Atlantic* Sun Life Stadium • Miami Gardens, FL ESPNU W 34–6 50,151
September 7 12:00 PM #12 Florida* Sun Life Stadium • Miami Gardens, FL (Rivalry) ESPN W 21–16 76,968
September 21 7:00 PM Savannah State* #16 Sun Life Stadium • Miami Gardens, FL ESPN3 W 77–7 42,571
October 5 3:30 PM Georgia Tech #14 Sun Life Stadium • Miami Gardens, FL ESPNU W 45–30 47,008
October 26 12:00 PM Wake Forest #7 Sun Life Stadium • Miami Gardens, FL ESPNU W 24–21 66,160

Florida was over capacity, but that's to be expected.

andycapps

It's honestly a horrible stadium and I think like 35-40 miles from campus. Those are the excuses, anyway.

I don't see why the U doesn't have their own stadium. Sanford Stadium is pretty much at the center of our campus, so I have a hard time understanding why they'd do that.

Quake1028

I don't see why the U doesn't have their own stadium. Sanford Stadium is pretty much at the center of our campus, so I have a hard time understanding why they'd do that.

I think our athletic department claims to be too poor to do such a thing. Plus I think they are signed into like a 10 or 12 year lease at Sun Life that cannot be gotten out of. I think that runs until 2018.

Edit - it's actually a 25 year lease, :jnc

andycapps

I think our athletic department claims to be too poor to do such a thing. Plus I think they are signed into like a 10 or 12 year lease at Sun Life that cannot be gotten out of. I think that runs until 2018.

Edit - it's actually a 25 year lease, :jnc

A 25 year lease, that's about as smart as the Braves signing a 20 year contract with FOX and now being severely underpaid from that.

Jeff-DSA

(THU) Oklahoma @ Baylor by 3
(THU) Oregon @ Stanford by 13
Kansas State @ Texas Tech by 17
Penn State @ Minnesota by 10
BYU @ Wisconsin by 6 (BYU! BYU! BYU!)
Nebraska @ Michigan by 9
Virginia Tech @ Miami by 14 and three personal fouls
Houston @ UCF by 17
Texas @ West Virginia by 3
LSU @ Alabama by 14
Notre Dame @ Pittsburgh by 7
UCLA @ Arizona by 7

Too high and too early. Why the hell is a Thursday night game starting at 6pm?

Stupid east coast.
6pm game should be fine. Already gets dark in So Cal around 5-5:30. So I assume it should be dark by then too. And it may be winding and cold..gonna be fun if it is

cashman

Banned
247 also reporting the deal to be done. Hope he fires mack.

edit: SI also going confirming.

I'm not gonna believe myself until I hear from bleacher report.

andycapps

Not sure how to post Vine clips here but some good ones from Brandon Douglas running over some Florida defenders here as well as some South Carolina defenders. This kid is really impressive for being a freshman, and for being so hard to bring down. He doesn't have the ability to make people miss behind the line like Gurley but if he has a couple yards to get a head of steam, good luck.

http://bulldawgillustrated.com/2013/11/05/13193/

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Why are the Thursday games on the pickem? Those are blowouts and don't belong on this glorious and 100% accurate non-yahoo pickem.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Tech's 2014 schedule is out, apparently.

Aug. 30 - Central Arkansas
Sept. 6 - at UTEP
Sept. 13 - Arkansas
Sept. 20 - OPEN
Sept. 25 - at Oklahoma State (Thursday)
Oct. 4 - at Kansas State
Oct. 11 - West Virginia
Oct. 18 - Kansas
Oct. 25 - at TCU
Nov. 1 - Texas
Nov. 8 - OPEN
Nov. 15 - Oklahoma
Nov. 22 - at Iowa State
Nov. 29 - Baylor (Arlington, Texas)

At first glance I like how it plays out. Bit of a long stretch with tough games @TCU and against Texas at the end of it but overall not bad at first glance.

::edit::
After looking at Texas' schedule I've decided that these released schedules must be fake. They show only two bye weeks and actually have back to back away games, which clearly makes this a joke or parody of some sort.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
(THU) Oklahoma @ Baylor by 21
(THU) Oregon @ Stanford by 6
Kansas State @ Texas Tech by 6
Penn State @ Minnesota by 4
BYU @ Wisconsin by 10
Nebraska @ Michigan by 6
Virginia Tech @ Miami by 9
Houston @ UCF by 6
Texas @ West Virginia by 6
LSU @ Alabama by 9
Notre Dame @ Pittsburgh by 4
UCLA @ Arizona by 4

Gus on the Auburn player being "injured"
"After reviewing the film I can see why people view it that way. In my 23 yrs of coaching I've never told a player to fake an injury." He vowed that it will not happen again.

So he never ordered the Code ATTK, but vowed it'll never happen again...

AntoneM

Looks like ASU's Patterson to Texas AD.

Don't ask me about him, he's only officially been the AD here for something like 1.5 years.

Let the Todd Graham speculation begin. *sigh*

Karl2177

Tech's 2014 schedule is out, apparently.

::edit::
After looking at Texas' schedule I've decided that these released schedules must be fake. They show only two bye weeks and actually have back to back away games, which clearly makes this a joke or parody of some sort.

Iowa State's is out too.

Aug. 30 NORTH DAKOTA STATE
Sept. 6 OPEN
Sept. 13 at Iowa
Sept. 20 TOLEDO (FW)
Sept. 27 BAYLOR
Oct. 4 at Oklahoma State
Oct. 11 KANSAS STATE (H)
Oct. 18 at Texas
Oct. 25 OPEN
Oct. 30 or Nov. 1 OKLAHOMA
Nov. 8 at Kansas
Nov. 15 OPEN
Nov. 22 TEXAS TECH
Nov. 29 WEST VIRGINIA
Dec. 6 at TCU

I'm glad our December game is in Texas, but the WVU game will be hella chilly in Ames. It's also goo that we don't have to face all of the B12 week after week, and we get some mid season byes(unlike the past 2 years).

Apparently on a Rivals Radio segment earlier today Texas A&M QB super recruit Kyle Allen was quoted as saying "Sumlin said I have a scholarship at whatever school he's at next year."

Don't think USC has a QB commit yet...

I'm curious to see how A&M fares in the SEC without Sumlin and Manziel. In a mildly sadistic way.

edit: Too late Monroeski I'm already running with the story!!!!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious to see how A&M fares in the SEC without Sumlin and Manziel. In a mildly sadistic way.

Curse you and your quoting!

There's a thread on the A&M Rivals site about it that I can't read but without a meltdown on TexAgs at this point I suspect it's not actually true.

Curse you and your quoting!

There's a thread on the A&M Rivals site about it that I can't read but without a meltdown on TexAgs at this point I suspect it's not actually true.

Regardless of its veracity, Sumlin has been thought as a prime candidate for the USC job since Kiffikins was let go, so its not too far fetched to believe that conversation with a recruit occurred.

KingGondo

Banned
OSU's schedule (probable wins bolded)

Sat., Aug. 30 vs. Florida State*
Sat., Sept. 6 Missouri State
Sat., Sept. 13 UTSA
Sat., Sept. 20 Open
Thurs., Sept. 25 Texas Tech
Sat., Oct. 4 Iowa State
Sat., Oct. 11 at Kansas
Sat., Oct. 18 at TCU
Sat., Oct. 25 West Virginia
Sat., Nov. 1 at Kansas State
Sat., Nov. 8 Open
Sat., Nov. 15 Texas
Sat. Nov. 22 at Baylor
Sat. Nov. 29 -or- Sat., Dec. 6 at Oklahoma

So, yeah. We picked the wrong year to schedule FSU, to say the least. Unfortunately, we also lose a ton of valuable guys on defense. I'm still looking forward to seeing Famous Jameis in person and hoping for a respectable loss. :jnc

Those last four are potentially tough. If we go into that final stretch at 7-1 as I predict, finishing 2-2 to end up 9-3 would be a great year for a rebuilding squad. 8 wins is more likely, although we do have a lot of talented young guys who are just unproven.

desh

(THU) Oklahoma @ Baylor by 4
(THU) Oregon @ Stanford by 14
Kansas State @ Texas Tech by 10
Penn State @ Minnesota by 4
BYU @ Wisconsin by 4
Nebraska @ Michigan by 4
Virginia Tech @ Miami by 6
Houston @ UCF by 4
Texas @ West Virginia by 4
LSU @ Alabama by 13
Notre Dame @ Pittsburgh by 4
UCLA @ Arizona by 4

Draxal

Make no mistake about it. Our National Championship Caliber Football "NEVER GIVE UP" Football Culture had as much to do with the victory as Gary Nova's touchdown toss to Caroo. This is the third game this season, where we snatched victory, from the jaws of defeat. I don't care what Temple's record is. That Temple team is much better than their 1-7 record indicates, and they should be able to notch a few more W's before the season is out. Thanks to Walkers stellar play, they are a much better team than they were earlier in the season. So glad we don't have to face them again.

Now lets talk about Rutgers 5-3 record. Yes, its disappointing to be 5-3 at this point, but let the record shown that there is not ONE BAD LOSS among the opponents we've fallen to, as they have a COMBINED ONE Loss between them. Houston is UNDEFEATED, Fresno is UNDEFEATED. Louisville lost a HEARTBREAKER to UCF, who can clinch the American Conference title by beating Houston next Saturday. (UCF would need to lose twice more if they beat Houston, and that ain't happening)

That we have marshalled a respectable 5-3 record up to this point, despite losing our BEST player in Paul James, is a testiment to the character and fortitude of our players. Furthermore the depth in the secondary is RAZOR Thin, due to graduation, Logan Ryans early NFL declaration, Lew Tolers injury, and Ian Thomas' transfer. Prior Rutgers teams would have FOLDED under such duress. Yet this team continues to battle, despite facing significant adversity, and make us PROUD. Thats why Coach Flood deserves an EXTENSION and not the AX, as some have suggested.

Gary Nova is someone who makes me PROUD. That game winning toss against Temple was the THIRD this season. (one against SMU, one against Arkansas, one against Temple) Frankly, i don't think there's a better quarterback on the roster, which made all the calls for Nova's replacement all the more ridiculous. His stats up till this point are SOLID:

- 1,888 yards passing in 8 games
- 58.9% pass completion rate
- ONE multi-interception game (Louisville)
- THREE game winning throws
- 235 passing yards/game
- has thrown fewer interceptions through 8 games this year, than he did last year

But most of all he's shown the ability to come through in the clutch, delivering a perfectly placed LASER to Leonte Carroos outstretched arms, despite facing a Temple all out blitz, on fourth and 10 no less. Say whatever you want, as his detractors certainly have, but the guy delivered like UPS, when many in the fanbase doubted his ability.

I can't think of a Rutgers Quarterback coming through like that in a similar situation, though Tom Savages strike to Tim Brown vs. Uconn comes close, though that came on first down, on the road.

With Rutgers Next Victory, Gary Nova will have led Rutgers to our third straight bowl game, something that would have not been possible without his three game winning TD tosses. If the season were to end today, I would give Gary Nova the team MVP medal. And by the time he is done at Rutgers, he could be regarded as the best Rutgers signal caller in History.

Finally, lets talk about our record. Yes, I expected to be 8-0. The only things which kept us from being 8-0 were:

- a Heisman caliber quarterback in Derek Carr, who will be invited to New York, and will lead his Fresno State team to an UNDEFEATED Season. Yet we were a failed two point conversion away from beating them.

- Losing Paul James

This loss CANNOT be understated, as Paul James to this team, means what Ray Rice used to mean to the 2005, 2006, and 2007 Rutgers teams. Take away Ray Rice from those teams, and Rutgers isn't going to a bowl. Yet Paul James was taken away from this years Rutgers team, and we're going to a bowl. THAT is a significant accomplishment and shows how far along we've come, from the Ray Rice years.

With Paul James, Rutgers:

- averaged 143.2 yards rushing
- scored 28 points or more
- Gary Nova threw 3 interceptions

Without Paul James,

- Justin Goodwin, his replacement, has averaged 76 yards/game rushing
- have struggled to score against most teams outside of the SMU game
- Gary Nova has thrown 8 interceptions

Simply put, we haven't been able to replace Paul James' production, and we're a MUCH better team with Paul James, than without. He means as much to this team as Ray Rice meant to previous Rutgers teams.

Thats why the biggest boost, we can get this year, is to get Paul James back, and run the table the rest of the year to finish 9-3, which sets up for a FANTASTIC 2014 as :

- Most of our starters return, including hopefully Brandon Coleman who should return
- Dorian "GRANITE" Miller and "KILLER" Klecko will bolster our Lines
- we'll be adding a SUPERSTAR caliber WR in Saeed Blacknall
- the secondary will be further bolstered with Kiy Hester & Co
- Paul James will be back to 100%

The way I see it, we should HAMMER:

- WSU, PSU, Michigan, Navy, Tulane, Indiana, Maryland

We should BEAT

- Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Michigan State

The only tossup game I see is:

- Ohio State

I love you RutgersAl. I'm personally in the 3 wins camp until they show me alot more the rest of the year.

ag-my001

Did he just predict a 10-1 season as a likely event? Makes as much sense as playing an eleven game season while everyone else plays twelve.

KingGondo

Banned
I love you RutgersAl. I'm personally in the 3 wins camp until they show me alot more the rest of the year.
Thank you for being realistic.

The B1G sucks overall, but it's a massive, huge step up from the competition Rutgers has faced this year.

WVU and TCU are learning about life in a major conference right now, even though it's undeniably a down year in the Big 12.

- 58.9% pass completion rate
- 235 passing yards/game
:jnc Those are not good stats for a college QB.

cdyhybrid

Part of the agreement that allowed Tejas to hire their new AD was that they couldn't hire anyone else from ASU. No Todd Graham for you, you're stuck with Mack forever.

Jeff-DSA

WVU and TCU are learning about life in a major conference right now, even though it's undeniably a down year in the Big 12.

TCU was going to struggle anywhere with all of the player drama they've had. At least they're not getting totally blown out, as I expected they would. If Patterson was willing to pull a Les Miles, they'd be far more competitive.

squicken

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-11-05-19-18-47

AP story on Saban and UT

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The agent for coach Nick Saban told Texas officials in January that Texas was the only school he would consider leaving Alabama for and that his success with the Crimson Tide had put him under "special pressure," The Associated Press has learned.

The agent, Jimmy Sexton, made the comments during a 45-minute call with former Texas Regent Tom Hicks and current Regent Wallace Hall. Hicks detailed the call in a Sept. 24 email that was obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press through an open-records request.

"Sexton confirmed that UT is the only job Nick would possibly consider leaving Alabama for, and that his success there created special pressure for him," Hicks wrote.

The pressure was not further explained in the email and Sexton declined comment Tuesday. Saban was not available after practice.

Two days after the call, Hicks approached Texas coach Mack Brown about the possibility of retiring. Brown, who is under contract until 2020, said he wanted to stay.

Top Bottom