• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week 3 - Alabama still has more wins in Jerry World than Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
No sense in freaking out at this point. A 7-5 Ole Miss, or 8-4 OU isn't going to be ranked at the end of the season, end of story.

I don't see why it is responsible to keep them ranked while there are other unbeatens or 1 loss teams more deserving of being in, but whatever.

I'm not freaking out, just banging the "SEC bias" drum like I always do. :p

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Goes back to preseason rankings influencing perception. If Ole Miss loses to top teams they won't drop much because of who they lost to. It'll all work itself out eventually.

It is why I am glad the playoff committee doesn't release rankings until well into the season. With the flux of players each year, it makes no sense to release a top 25 before the season begins that sets the scale for the rest of the year.

It would be nice for there to be a rule that no rankings would get released until after the 4th week. At least nearly all OOC play would be done at that point and things would be clearer.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I'm not freaking out, just banging the "SEC bias" drum like I always do. :p

Well, SEC bias obviously exists, but it helps that Alabama truly is almost always the best team in the country. If it weren't for them, the entire league's rankings would be more elastic.

Thanks, Abama...

jjasper

Tennessee and UGA squeak by bad teams and plummet in the polls. Wisconsin does it and barely falls. Michigan State does it and rises. SEC BIAS.

andycapps

Tennessee and UGA squeak by bad teams and plummet in the polls. Wisconsin does it and barely falls. Michigan State does it and rises. SEC BIAS.
It's because all the writers in the country are secretly SEC fans. And the SID's voting in the coaches poll are only from SEC programs. Didn't you know?

AP voter out of minny has Ole Miss 12th and palm beach voter has them 13th and has OU 12th.

tumblr_mbydldFNeP1rgbma5o1_500.gif

full listing here:

http://i.imgur.com/BLbEoFk.png

Calion

Let's do this line by line. Let me start off by saying that Ole Miss was CFB's best shot at getting Bama a loss and that has passed. I honestly believe that Ole Miss is the second best team in the SECW. Additionally, Alabama typically gels as a unit more and more as the season goes. With that being said....

LSU still has a defense, and unless Bama's offense improves a lot they are going to have to rely on non-offensive touchdowns to win that game. I'd be more surprised if the offense sees the endzone than if they don't.

C'mon man. LSU has a worse defense than Bama. LSU has a drastically worse offense than Bama (And arguably some of worst offense in west. Think 1D Tic-Tac-Toe). This game might get uglier than last year's meeting.

TAMU will probably look a lot like the Ole Miss game and could go either way.

This is CFB's best hope is getting Bama a loss, and it's pretty unlikely. TAMU doesn't have any run game. And while Trevor Knight isnt Johnny Manziel, he does know how to beat Bama. The last few years, this hasn't been much of a game.

Arkansas might be good. Or might not. Hard to tell.

2nd best option. Arkansas is a mixed bag that no one can really pin down. History tells us that Saban has never lost to Arkansas when at Alabama.

Auburn or Tennessee could step up in the rivalry game but I think either of those are unlikely.
Just not happening. Auburn - Miss St - LSU are all in a dead heat for last place in the west. Tennessee can't score many points without defense takeaways. Saban has never lost to Tennessee either.

But this isn't last year's Bama team

Stop. Ya'll say this every damn year and its getting adorable. Let's put this in perspective. If the college football playoff started in 2011, Alabama would have been in every single one of them. The only teams in Saban's career at Alabama that wouldn't be in the hypothetical CFB would be 2007 and 2010.

which was kind of carried by Henry a bit.

Again, Alabama starts to gel as a unit the more games go by. Henry was a great running back the first half of the season, and turned into a Heisman-caliber one by mid to late season.

Receivers are about the only good part of the offense

You don't think Jalen Hurts will only get better as the season progresses? I mean, he's gotten better every game, and as the game progresses. What exactly changes? He just won one of the biggest games he's played all year. Kid has mad talent and potential, and is only improving with each win.

the OL is a step back from last year which already wasn't great,

What the fuck?

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/12/alabama_offensive_line_wins_na.html

AL.com said:
On Wednesday, [Alabama]'s offensive line was recognized, named the winner of the inaugural Joe Moore Award, which goes to the top offensive line in the nation.

You just can't win the heisman trophy as a runningback if your OLine is less than amazing/great. Losing Kelly has hurt, but again, bama always improves more and more as the season progresses.

inexperienced RBs though Harris is starting to look pretty good.

I agree

Defense is great, until you get beyond the 1s. Last year's defense had ridiculous depth, but this year doesn't. Beyond the starters there are a lot of question marks and inexperience.

Alabama's 2s did fine when Foster, Fitzpatrick went down yesterday. The question is experience, not depth.

It's only a matter of time before the penalties and mistakes stemming from inexperience cost this team at least one game.

If Alabama loses one game, wins their division, and wins the SECCG, they're in. Plain and simple.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Find me a not-crazy PAWWWWL type Bama fan that thinks the OL actually deserved that. My reaction was basically "what the fuck." Last year's OL was mediocre as hell (by general CFB standards, not Bama standards) but looked good because Henry was insanely good.

The rest of your response is basically "they will get better." Which was my qualifier, Bama is going to have to get a lot better. What we've seen so far is not a playoff caliber team, and certainly not the #1 team in the country.

inm8num2

Badgers @ Spartans is going to be a good one. I just realized we haven't played Wisky in 4 years. Those two 2011 games were really entertaining. It won't be the same without you, Bret Bielema!

Badgers @ Spartans is going to be a good one. I just realized we haven't played Wisky in 4 years. Those two 2011 games were really entertaining. It won't be the same without you, Bret Bielema!

Can we agree to kick out Butgers and Maryland? It would ensure that we play against each other more often.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting how much flack Mayfield has been getting this season now that he doesn't have an elite rushing game and defense backing him up. Scrambles too quickly, doesn't go through progressions, and tries to ad-lib beyond his ability to ad-lib.

It all seems incredibly familiar.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Its not even October and I'm already done with football, at least in terms of rooting interest. As a casual fan I'll still enjoy watching the games. Maybe it is better if you really don't care who wins.

I still care :(

tebunker

Banned
Pat Caputo has a vote? The AP poll really is just as useless as the Coaches poll.

This. These are old archaic systems that suck.

The AP poll has sucked since near inception. Its why Alabama claims 58,000 national titles because for a long time their was a legit axe to grind against the school and players for decisions they didn't have a choice about.

The coaches poll is just as much because no coah or sid has time to watch it all.

This is why we have a playoff committee.

It is also why we should ditch all preseason rankings.

Just wait for the playoof committee rankings. It does us no good to attach value to rankings atm.

We are already going crazy over them

Cyan

Banned
I guess that means "lack of fire"? The defensive coordinator lacks fire? Or said his defense lacks fire?

Edit:
Oh, after googling it wasn't a typo. They're trying to say that Brian Kelly's twitter account "liked" a tweet from someone else saying to fire the defensive coordinator.

... who cares.

Iowa, fresh off losing to NDSU is an 11 point favorite over Rutgers to open the week.
USC is a 1.5 point under dog to Utah
South Carolina vs Kentucky is a pick em
Cal is a 6.5 point under dog to Arizona State
Stanford is only a 2.5 point favorite over UCLA (but my first rule of Vegas is not to trust lines on games involving teams from California, Utah, Arizona or Nevada)
LSU is only about a 3 point favorite over Auburn
Tennessee is a 7.5 to 10 point favorite over Florida
Mississippi is a favorite over Georgia

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
ASU has looked terrible, how is Cal an underdog?

Rest of those don't seem unreasonable. Would favor LSU more heavily I guess, and uMiss/Georgia seems like a toss up.

El_Chino

Iowa, fresh off losing to NDSU is an 11 point favorite over Rutgers to open the week.
Stanford is only a 2.5 point favorite over UCLA (but my first rule of Vegas is not to trust lines on games involving teams from California, Utah, Arizona or Nevada)

1) Amazing how well USC recruits with nothing to show for it

2) HAHAHAHAHA

fuck that line.. No way Tennessee covers

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

My picks against the spreads:

Utah
South Carolina
Cal
Stanford
LSU
Florida
Ole Miss

Kusagari

lmao

AntoneM

So I guess Bama has to play NDSU this year some how. If for no other reason than to prove Alabama can beat anyone. /drunk-and-regretting-my-decisions-because-work-tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom