• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week 3 - Alabama still has more wins in Jerry World than Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

Game is going to come down to how Appleby looks. As long as he looks like he knows what he's doing and isn't Driksel/Treon, we should be fine.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
LMAO. Please tell GAF who these teams in the almighty SECW are that will give Bama L's.

Based on the three games so far, I'd definitely pencil in LSU as a loss and maybe TAMU. Arkansas isn't outside the realm of possibility either with the way this team has looked, and how Arkansas has actually looked decent.

LSU still has a defense, and unless Bama's offense improves a lot they are going to have to rely on non-offensive touchdowns to win that game. I'd be more surprised if the offense sees the endzone than if they don't.

TAMU will probably look a lot like the Ole Miss game and could go either way.

Arkansas might be good. Or might not. Hard to tell.

Auburn or Tennessee could step up in the rivalry game but I think either of those are unlikely.

But this isn't last year's Bama team, which was kind of carried by Henry a bit. Receivers are about the only good part of the offense, the OL is a step back from last year which already wasn't great, freshman QB, inexperienced RBs though Harris is starting to look pretty good.

Defense is great, until you get beyond the 1s. Last year's defense had ridiculous depth, but this year doesn't. Beyond the starters there are a lot of question marks and inexperience.

It's only a matter of time before the penalties and mistakes stemming from inexperience cost this team at least one game.

Lunar15

Ivey won't miss time. That is for targeting only. Tyler Jordan was out yesterday and may be out against Tennessee.

They say Del Rio barely beat out Appleby for the starting job so hopefully there won't be a massive drop off like in previous years.

Ah, for some reason I thought any ejection lead to a suspension.

I can only assume all the people putting Bama at 1 have not watched Bama play outside the USC game. Offense was terrible against an overwhelmed WKU team and both sides of the ball looked bad against an Ole Miss team that will do well to win 8 games. Going to require some serious soul searching if they want to win the division, let alone get in the playoff.

1. OSU
2. Louisville
3. Michigan
4. Houston
5. Michigan State
6. Washington
7. Clemson
8. Wisconsin
9. Alabama
10. Stanford

Or something, I dunno.

Who is going to beat Bama in the West or hell the East. Ole Miss is out two games they're done, LSU doesn't have a QB, A&M is A&M, Florida just lost their QB, Georgia I dunno haven't watched them. SEC isn't that hard to win for them honestly.
Exactly.. Bama just beat arguably the only team in the conference that was their main impediment. Bama will remain number one until they shit the bed. OSU will not jump them before then.

ag-my001

Bert can't beat Bama. Period. The only team in that division that could possibly beat them is A&M
We'll find out this Saturday when A&M and Arkansas play. That'll give a clearer picture of who the #2 team in the west might be.

Of course, both A&M and Arkansas still have glaring faults, so LSU or Mississippi (with their own problems) could still be it.

Ah, for some reason I thought any ejection lead to a suspension.

Yeah, he will be in.

But on that subject, did anyone actually see a punch get thrown? From the angle they shot it at, it just looked like extracurricular hands to the face. Normally, the ejection requires seeing the arm cock back.

Cyan

Banned
I mean, they still hanged tough against Alabama. Not a lot of people put up 40+ against Bama.

Seriously, they've only lost two of their three games so far, and they put up a big win against a tough Wofford. I don't get why anyone sees anything wrong with this ranking.

ag-my001

Is there even a point in voting for FCS teams? Novelty? Or just everybody is so bad they needed someone else to vote for?

Happened when App. State beat #5 Michigan. AP voters really seem to love their pre-season rankings, rewarding "huge upsets" rather than punishing incorrectly ranked teams.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Ole miss still ranked is an absolute joke and anyone who voted them should be embarrassed
But Oklahoma at 25 in the AP poll is a-okay. No B12 bias there?

The bottom of the poll is fine. The top part of the poll is the bigger farce.

Balphon

Happened when App. State beat #5 Michigan. AP voters really seem to love their pre-season rankings, rewarding "huge upsets" rather than punishing incorrectly ranked teams.

To be fair they also dropped Michigan from #5 to unranked after that, and App State was FCS #1 going in.

I don't know if Michigan got any votes, but I'm sure they didn't after they got destroyed by Oregon the following week.

Lunar15

No 1-2 team should ever be ranked above an unbeaten. Ever.

I can't think of any justification for that. You can say Ole Miss "played well", but really all they did was blow two big leads back to back. They're half a team, basically.

andycapps

How the fuck do the Vols and Dawgs keep going up after terrible wins?
Lot of good teams win close games. Lot of championship teams have those. Not saying either are championship teams but what counts is the W. You can even lose to a bad Va Tech team and win the championship.

Also, lot of teams lost above them.

Kusagari

Lot of good teams win close games. Lot of championship teams have those. Not saying either are championship teams but what counts is the W. You can even lose to a bad Va Tech team and win the championship.

Also, lot of teams lost above them.

Georgia I can understand because they did beat North Carolina, but Tennessee barely beat an App State that just got killed by Miami at home, beat up on a mediocre VT team and then struggled to put away Ohio.

I see absolutely zero reason they should still be above UF, Arkansas, Miami or Baylor.

Draconian

At least Georgia's game was a conference opponent on the road. I don't think it's all that fair to put them in the same boat with Tennessee.

El_Chino

No 1-2 team should ever be ranked above an unbeaten. Ever.

I can't think of any justification for that. You can say Ole Miss "played well", but really all they did was blow two big leads back to back. They're half a team, basically.
Then I guess Boise State should've been in the championship game instead Florida in '06 huh?

Lunar15

I'm almost definitely not watching gameday next week. It's going to be all Rocky Top and "It's been 11 years!"

Then I guess Boise State should've been in the championship game instead Florida in '06 huh?

Bad logic: by the end of the season we have a decent idea of ratio and a lot more talking points. Right now, Ole Miss is 1 for 3.

Alabama could get blown the fuck out by A&M for all we know. People said Ole Miss looked presentable against FSU who was supposed to be good, but then look how that turned out this week.

andycapps

Georgia I can understand because they did beat North Carolina, but Tennessee barely beat an App State that just got killed by Miami at home, beat up on a mediocre VT team and then struggled to put away Ohio.

I see absolutely zero reason they should still be above UF, Arkansas, Miami or Baylor.

Georgia has a neutral site win over a ranked team and a win against a conference opponent on the road. Win against Nichols looks bad on resume.

Tennessee at least has a win against a P5 opponent at Brostol. Other than that, not much impressive there.

What has Florida done to deserve it? Or Miami?

Miami has beaten FAU, App State, and Florida A&M. Quite a resume.

Florida has beaten North Texas, Umass, and Kentucky.

Baylor has beaten Northwestern State, Rice, and SMU.

But Oklahoma at 25 in the AP poll is a-okay. No B12 bias there?

The bottom of the poll is fine. The top part of the poll is the bigger farce.

Didnt see the AP poll yet only coaches, but yes Oklahoma should not be ranked either, they jsut got destroyed at home.

There is literally 0 reason a 1-2 team should be ranked at this point. I dont care if you lost the 1 and 2 teams in the nation by 2 combined points.

Kusagari

Georgia has a neutral site win over a ranked team and a win against a conference opponent on the road. Tennessee at least has a win against a P5 opponent at Brostol. Other than that, not much impressive there.

What has Florida done to deserve it? Or Miami?

Miami has beaten FAU, App State, and Florida A&M. Quite a resume.

Florida has beaten North Texas, Umass, and Kentucky.

Baylor has beaten Northwestern State, Rice, and SMU.

So somehow scores no longer matter? They barely beat two cupcakes.

jjasper

There is really no reason to get all worried about Tennessee's ranking. After their next four games it will sort itself out.

El_Chino

I'm almost definitely not watching gameday next week. It's going to be all Rocky Top and "It's been 11 years!"

Bad logic: by the end of the season we have a decent idea of ratio and a lot more talking points. Right now, Ole Miss is 1 for 3.

Alabama could get blown the fuck out by A&M for all we know. People said Ole Miss looked presentable against FSU who was supposed to be good, but then look how that turned out this week.
How is that bad logic? You said no 1Loss or 2 loss team should be ranked above an undefeated team. So going by that, Florida should've been ranked behind a perfect Boise State.

Lunar15

Pre-Season rankings are totally stupid until at least halfway through the year, in my opinion. So many things we don't know, too many things hinging on baseless pre-season rankings.

How is that bad logic? You said no 1Loss or 2 loss team should be ranked above an undefeated team. So going by that, Florida should've been ranked behind a perfect Boise State.

No, I said a 1-2 team, in week-to-week rankings. That's a team that's lost more than half of its games at this point. If Ole Miss comes out and beats some good schools that have decent records at the end of the year, then we can talk. As it stands, they've failed in both of their games against P5 opponents. I'd rather give that ranking to someone who hasn't lost yet. Wins are wins, and the ability to win is important. At the end of the season we can talk about how good a team "looked".

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
No sense in freaking out at this point. A 7-5 Ole Miss, or 8-4 OU isn't going to be ranked at the end of the season, end of story.

I don't see why it is responsible to keep them ranked while there are other unbeatens or 1 loss teams more deserving of being in, but whatever.

andycapps

No sense in freaking out at this point. A 7-5 Ole Miss, or 8-4 OU isn't going to be ranked at the end of the season, end of story.

I don't see why it is responsible to keep them ranked while there are other unbeatens or 1 loss teams more deserving of being in, but whatever.
Goes back to preseason rankings influencing perception. If Ole Miss loses to top teams they won't drop much because of who they lost to. It'll all work itself out eventually.

Lunar15

We haven't even gone into much conference play yet, so yeah, there's really no reason to worry. It's just puzzling at some of the decisions the coaches and AP make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom