• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Two: You get a cupcake, and you get a cupcake...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, if y'all are cool with it.

But they won Week 2!

week-2-trophy.jpg

And were probably the only ones with a decent view of the game...

I guess this sums it up:
"The reality hit our players [Friday] when we came through with all the campers and trailers," Jones said. "I don't know if you could really ever prepare for something like this until you get here. ... We have to learn how to have consistency for 60 minutes and not have lulls."

We came here to learn about an (at times) bumblin', fumblin', underachieving Tennessee. We left with the most patriotic feeling since Francis Scott Key took pen to paper.
There was the requisite flyover. Fans chanted, "USA," on the eve of the 15th anniversary of 9/11. Lee Greenwood came out at halftime and sang that, once again, he is proud to be an American.

'Murica bitches.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/vols-live-up-to-hype-as-battle-at-bristol-champions-but-next-step-matters-most/

jjasper

I mean every other school in the country would have done the same thing. So I am not sure why I wouldn't be. They even said after the game it was over the top but when you get 4.3 million dollars to play a game and afterwards they say here pose with these shirts and get a trophy you do it.

At some point this weekend, I completely forgot what picks I made... to the point that I started believing that all of my picks were right while watching the games.

Then, the fucking spreadsheet comes out and I'm like

skipeyeroll2.gif

I am a Tennessee fan, and I'm not that cool with it. The blame lies with the administration behind the Battle at Bristol coming up with a trophy and an on the field celebration afterwards. Still you can't blame the kids for enjoying it. Shame because overall I thought they did a good job, and the people I knew that attended love their experience.

Now if Tennessee was to finally beat Florida in the next 20 years, and I am okay with whatever celebration they would want to do. Hell have Obama parachute in with a trophy at the end.

I mean every other school in the country would have done the same thing. So I am not sure why I wouldn't be. They even said after the game it was over the top but when you get 4.3 million dollars to play a game and afterwards they say here pose with these shirts and get a trophy you do it.

not Every other school in the country would need to pull a publicity stunt to be relevant.

hey oooooooooo

lush

Bristol post game celebration reminds me of...

hiVoINq.jpg

The offense/offensive line look worse than I ever expected, even coming off last year. Butch, DeBord, Mahoney, and azzani are a bunch of bums, plain and simple. Hopefully when we go 0-4 or 1-3 in the Florida, Georgia, A&M, Alabama stretch people will have finally had enough of Lyle and co.

I am a Tennessee fan, and I'm not that cool with it. The blame lies with the administration behind the Battle at Bristol coming up with a trophy and an on the field celebration afterwards. Still you can't blame the kids for enjoying it. Shame because overall I thought they did a good job, and the people I knew that attended love their experience.

Now if Tennessee was to finally beat Florida in the next 20 years, and I am okay with whatever celebration they would want to do. Hell have Obama parachute in with a trophy at the end.

The bolded won't happen:

Houston only a TD favorite over Cinnci.

Michigan almost a 3 TD favorite over Colorado.

Oregon only a 1 point favorite over Nebraska!

UCLA only a 1 point favorite over BYU. (Can't trust the line on this game though, because its a team from SoCal and a team from Utah)

Texas by 4 over Cal seems insanely low.
Some of those odds.. Jesus.

Week 2 Pick 'em results. The closest person to scoring bonus points was cashman and he was 12 points off the actual total score.

Link to everyone's picks.

Code:
Week 2	Total	Username
6	14	Affeinvasion
9	16	ag
4	11	AlteredBeast
6	15	andycapps
0	9	Battlezone
5	14	BertramCooper
6	14	bpfd
8	14	BTM
4	9	Bucknuticus
6	13	cashman
7	14	Chicko1983
0	6	Chris R
8	14	Deacon
7	14	Dsyndrome
6	14	ErnieMcCracken
8	15	felixorion
8	16	FloydtheFathead
8	8	Frank Beamer
9	12	Frustrated_Grunt
4	9	Ganhyun
0	10	Garryk
9	17	GoldenEye 007
7	13	Googly Eyes Dog
8	8	GreenyMac
7	7	Jerm411
8	15	jfkgoblue
0	8	Jhriad
8	16	jstevenson
4	10	Karl2177
3	10	Kawl_USC
0	9	Kenpokesbabrie
6	12	KingBrave1
6	13	Lizardking
9	18	Lonestar
6	17	Mac the KNife
6	13	Monroeski
4	8	mre
10	17	MrJames
5	10	OceanicAir
7	13	perfectchaos007
5	11	Quake1028
7	14	ryseing
9	18	sf2fanatic
6	13	Stooge
5	14	Subitai
6	15	Surge
4	13	Tebunker
5	5	tetromibi
6	13	TheLetdown
7	15	timetokill
4	4	Titanoboa
10	10	truly101
0	8	whytemyke
5	12	xeris
9	17	Yaboosh
8	14	zyxwvu4321
I'm shocked I did as well as I did. I think I got VT game wrong by picking VT.. Apparently Butch decided to his job that day.

I don't remember the other game unfortunately.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
New thread tomorrow, guys. I'm going to be staying overnight in the hospital (nothing serious), so I'll get to it when I'm home tomorrow.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Lol, damn, thought I was quoting Lonestar and you were back in the hospital, not mre!

In that case, feel better, mre! And change your damn logo back to Fozzy Bear! The only change you have ever been allowed is to houndstooth up a hat or something!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
"Fun" facts about Texas Tech's defense in the last 15 games (eg 2015 and 2016) taken from various Tech message board posts -

• We're 5-3 in games when scoring 50+ points. In our entire history through 2014, we were 70-0.
  • 7 opposing RBs have had career highs in yardage.
  • 23 single game school records have been set by opposing players in various stats (yardage, TDs, etc.)
  • Bonus recruiting stat - in the '13, '14, and '15 recruiting classes, we signed 69 total players. Only 28 of them were defenders. Only 13 of those defenders are still on the roster.

I definitely will be unable to really watch the Oklahoma game Saturday as I'll be working a double and closing the store unfortunately.. Unless I can sneak watching it from time to time.

Chuck has his orders to be disrespectful to Squicken if the opportunity arises (Adam, you too.)

Also.. Make sure that Adam is talked down off the ledge in case we don't start hot or look like shit that day. Pls?

New thread tomorrow, guys. I'm going to be staying overnight in the hospital (nothing serious), so I'll get to it when I'm home tomorrow.
Hope everything goes ok.

Les not committing to starting someone not named Harris against Miss State is the stupidest shit in the world I can't even comprehend.
Is he trying to get fired now?

Urbz said him and Herman have been talking "a lot" about the Oklahoma game.
Hopefully he gave the phone to JT as well.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Suzanne Halliburton ‏@suzhalliburton 18m18 minutes ago
Gary Patterson said Kenny Hill's gesture, which was flagged, was about Hill expressing his religious beliefs.

Kenny Hill's gesture, which was interpreted by SEC officials as throat slash, meant Rising Kings in sign language.
NS9TVKs.gif

:jnc

HeySeuss

Urbz said him and Herman have been talking "a lot" about the Oklahoma game.

Me likey.

Gonna be a good game, not sure we pull this out. Not liking such a young team having a tough marquee road game this early in the season. Thems the breaks tho. Time to put up or shut up.

Adam already has the bleach to add to his PB vodka...

Me likey.

Gonna be a good game, not sure we pull this out. Not liking such a young team having a tough marquee road game this early in the season. Thems the breaks tho. Time to put up or shut up.

All the pressures on Oklahoma now, they lose and theyre out of the playoffs. Hopefully our guys play loose, Urbz is going to have to air it out downfield or were going to have a repeat the Tulsa first half.

Me likey.

The bleach would be an improvement to that swill in my opinion.

They need to generate a consistent pass rush and ensure on the defensive side. If they can at least make Mayfield uncomfortable and react quickly.. We know that the secondary can and will capitalize.

Booker will be back and that will help to a degree, but that front seven will have their work cut out for it with that running game of Oklahoma's.

Offensively, JT needs to take a deep breathe and just focus.. Don't overthink and go through his progressions. He has been here before and needs to remember that. He cannot start as slow as he did last week and no weather delay is going to come in and give him time to get his shit together.

If he gets it together early, the speed will kill Oklahoma's D with our WR Corp and hammering them with Weber and Samuel and Dontre.

All the pressures on Oklahoma now, they lose and theyre out of the playoffs. Hopefully our guys play loose, Urbz is going to have to air it out downfield or were going to have a repeat the Tulsa first half.
Yup.. Urban sucks as the favorite and thrives on being the underdog which is a big positive

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Nicky admits it: He's not enough of a Psychiatrist. Does he have something again the Mental Health industry? What is he trying to hide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom