• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

fry.PNG

andycapps

I still maintain there should be a weekly BBQ/Tailgating segment.

Also, it doesn't show up in my podcast app (Player FM). Any chance of a direct RSS link?

That's a great question. With where we have it setup right now, I don't actually know the RSS link. However, I have a couple hours tonight so I'm trying to get things setup on the new site.. I have the RSS feed there, but I need to update things with iTunes and everything else.

Yeah of course, that's fine. And soccer doesn't get one year-round, they'll be moved back to Community pretty soon afaik.

Nice

andycapps

Go Gata. McElwain has lost control.

The University of Florida faces fresh allegations of credit card fraud and grand theft conducted by its players today. Jordan Smith, a defensive end, is alleged to have used stolen credit card information to pay rent, sources have told The Read Optional.
A Chicago based apartment company has filed a complaint to the universities’ compliance department, accusing Smith of paying $1,000 in rent at a Gainesville apartment complex with a credit card listed under a different name. Smith is alleged to have logged in to the payment system under his own login, before entering credit card details that were deemed to be fraudulent by the credit card company.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So CPJ said he's known for a while now what he's gonna do at QB to replace Thomas for GT. I suspect that means Matthew Jordan, but guess only coach knows. I doubt his mind changes before they start working on Tenn gameplan.

Vanillalite

What gets me is Marshall KNEW Mills was kind of an idiot.

I know he didn't want to split time with Mills, but if you looked at why not see if Mills could even keep their shit together?

Next man up and all that jazz, but I don't see how this isn't a huge blow. New starter are B Back and QB means it's gonna take a Hail Mary to beat Tennessee.

If GT was opening against Our Sisters of the Poor it wouldn't be so bad as you'd have time to figure some shit out. Instead it's gonna be a bunch of noobs thrown to the fire on the last big game in primetime against a power 5 SEC on Labor Day with all eyes on them.

andycapps

What gets me is Marshall KNEW Mills was kind of an idiot.

I know he didn't want to split time with Mills, but if you looked at why not see if Mills could even keep their shit together?

Next man up and all that jazz, but I don't see how this isn't a huge blow. New starter are B Back and QB means it's gonna take a Hail Mary to beat Tennessee.

If GT was opening against Our Sisters of the Poor it wouldn't be so bad as you'd have time to figure some shit out. Instead it's gonna be a bunch of noobs thrown to the fire on the last big game in primetime against a power 5 SEC on Labor Day with all eyes on them.
Apparently top 3 rushers all gone. That's never good for a team that lives and dies by the rush.

Assuming bucknut isn't doing a spreadsheet this year I'm just doing this for fun.

AAC:
East-USF
West- Navy
Champ-Navy

ACC:
Atlantic-Clemson
Coastal-Miami
Champ-Clemson

Big 12:
Champ-OKST

B1G:
East-tOSU
West-Iowa
Champ-tOSU

Pac-12
North-Stanford
South- USC
Champ- USC

SEC:
East- Georgia
West- Alabama
Champ-Alabama

Playoffs
1. Alabama
4. USC

2. tOSU
3. Clemson

National Champion: Alabama.

Group of 5 New Years 6 bowl rep: Navy

I'm looking forward to the Alabama Clemson rubber game!

Assuming bucknut isn't doing a spreadsheet this year I'm just doing this for fun.

AAC:
East-USF
West- Navy
Champ-Navy

ACC:
Atlantic-Clemson
Coastal-Miami
Champ-Clemson

Big 12:
Champ-OKST

B1G:
East-tOSU
West-Iowa
Champ-tOSU

Pac-12
North-Stanford
South- USC
Champ- USC

SEC:
East- Georgia
West- Alabama
Champ-Alabama

Playoffs
1. Alabama
4. USC

2. tOSU
3. Clemson

National Champion: Alabama.

Group of 5 New Years 6 bowl rep: Navy

I'm looking forward to the Alabama Clemson rubber game!

Ill get on it this week

Big Ten E: Rutgers
Big Ten W: Rutgers

ACC C: Rutgers
ACC A: Rutgers

SEC E: Rutgers
SEC W: Rutgers

Big XII: Rutgers

PAC N: Rutgers
PAC S: Rutgers

Semi 1: Rutgers v. Rutgers
Semi 2: Rutgers v. Rutgers

Final: Rutgers v. Rutgers

Champ: Texas Tech

I will follow Chaos's lead
AAC
East: USF
West: Houston (Believe in Applewhite and Ed Oliver, plus they get Navy and Memphis at home so that will help)
Winner: USF

ACC
Atlantic: Florida State (If Clemson can somehow get a halfway decent QB to replace Deshaun, I'd pick them. But I'll go with the Noles

Coastal: Virginia Tech (I almost want to pick Miami considering they have enough talent to win it.. but something is stopping me from doing and I like Fuente and think he can make the O click even with all the turnover and going to Miami and Georgia Tech).
Winner: Noles

Big XII
Winner: Gondo State (even with all the questions defensively, they still get the Sooners at home for Bedlam and Bob's departure might be felt for a bit for Gondo State to seize the moment)

BIG
East: Ohio State (we get Penn State in Columbus and Michigan's lost so so much defensively. The Dline will carry the dbs through any and likely growing pains they'll have plus the addition of Wilson to the offensive staff will hopefully lead to JT going back to the QB we know he can be)

West: Wisconsin (team is solid all around even if they lost Cichy. Too many question marks with a lot of the other teams. They get northwestern at home and no Ohio State or Penn State on the docket for them).
Champ: Ohio State

PAC 12
North: Huskies (they'll hold off Wazzu and get back to the championship)
South USC (They may not have the easiest schedule, but I think Darnold and their defense can get them through it)
Winner Huskies

SEC
West Bama (LSU doesn't have a QB and I will not believe in Auburn until Stidham shows improvement)
East: Georgia (they have Chubb and Eason. Tennessee will implode and Florida has some questions at QB that gives me pause from picking them. But if one team can challenge Georgia, it's the Gatas).

Playoffs
1. Bama
2. Ohio State
3. Florida State
4. Washington

National Championship
Bama vs Ohio State

Vanillalite

What takes longer the 5 bites or the amount of time they spent on my team on the last Podcast?

Sandwich wins

I'm actually excited for Rice v Stanford. It's been so long.

ACC Atlantic: Florida State
Coastal: Miami

Big XII: Oklahoma State

Pac-12 North: Washington
South: USC

Big 10 East: anOSU
West: Wisconsin

SEC West: Alabama
East: Georgia

1. Alabama
4. Oklahoma State

2. Ohio State
3. USC

*insert obligatory Roll Tide*

(None of this matters because Jalen is poo and we're losing 3 games)

Does anyone else stay up at night wondering why when Evilore tabs a new moderator, they slowly start to disappear from the community they were once active in? I think it has happened to this community in particular. Maybe I'm just imagining things again, so let me check some numbers from past off season threads to compare. I'll also use mre and andy as the "control" since they haven't been tabbed as mods....yet.

2012 offseason post counts (pre mod era, pre community forum era)
sto0ge: 36
cornballer: 22
confusingjazz: 1008 (not a typo)
cyan: 591
-------------------------------------------
mre: 607
andycaps: 557

Now lets look at the same posters counts in our first year in community which was 2013 ( but I think only sto0ge and cj were mods at this time.)

sto0ge: 5
cornballer: 25
confusingjazz: 150
cyan: 312
------------------------------------
mre: 725
andycaps: 808

Both of our commoners actually increased their post counts, but you can't ignore the severe drop off in post counts from our mods. Almost an 80% dip from cj and Sto0ge alike
Finally, since this thread is almost at its conclusion, lets tally up the 2017 offseason post counts

sto0ge: 0
cornballer: 0
confusingjazz: 1
cyan: 36
--------------------------------------
mre: 120
andycaps: 314

Although our numbers have steadily declined across the board over the years, it is very apparent that posting numbers among our mods have declined at an even greater rate than us commoners here. If another cfb gaffer gets modded, I'll run another analysis in a couple of years to see if the theory still holds true. #FreeOurMods #JoinTheConversation

Fuck the offseason. Thank God this is the last week because I'm currently in my "lets create random inane conspiracies" phase of boredom. I NEED FOOTBALL

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Big XII has a championship game this year so the pick 'em should probably include the two participants even if they're not technically from separate conferences.

andycapps

MJPopcorn.gif

Pat Forde's Twitter said:
Latest from the Tom Mars/Ole Miss onslaught: A Mars source sent him info indicating that Ole Miss officials were using a plane owned by ...
... A booster who is a prominent part of the NCAA allegations as recently as this summer. Mars said he wasn't sure what to make of info...
... But Mars said he will pass it along to Ole Miss' NCAA lawyers for their perusal.

andycapps

What's the best non cable way to watch football this year? YouTube?
I've had Vue from before last season and thought it was better than Sling. YouTube TV just expanded to here so I just got that and I'm going to stick with it. Little cheaper and the local channels are in a better spot, plus the interface is better.

Vanillalite

What's the best non cable way to watch football this year? YouTube?

I'm partial to PS Vue. I used it all last season with no trouble.

Only reason I'm not using it this year is my apartment complex started offering a pretty decent cable/internet package recently.

I've had Vue from before last season and thought it was better than Sling. YouTube TV just expanded to here so I just got that and I'm going to stick with it. Little cheaper and the local channels are in a better spot, plus the interface is better.

Check YouTube, Sling, PS Vue, Direct TV Now, and Cable.

Vue dropped the lowest tier, and it's essentially $10 more a month than it used to be.

You can still probably cut the cord so to speak and get the games you want.

That being said pricing on internet TV service is creeping up.

Check to see what current deals you can get at your place. It might be cheaper it might not be cheaper or it might be like just a tiny bit cheaper so you might say I'll just stick with cable.

It's very YMMV at this juncture.

Vanillalite

Alright look. Save the main session thread for the first big week of the year IMO.

Also post that shit in regular OT. We deserve our month at the very least. Plus maybe mods will let us stay longer.

Someone needs to call who's doing it too.

Need this shit straight before the week ends.

andycapps

Bud Elliott has his updated look at blue chip ratings. Blue chips = 4 and 5 stars and he maintains that no team has won the championship with lower than 50% blue chips.

I wish there was a way to keep formatting intact. There's also a section showing biggest risers from 2014-2017 but I think the formatting would be unreadable here.

Team Blue-Chip Ratio
Alabama 80%
Ohio State 71%
LSU 65%
Florida State 65%
Georgia 63%
USC 63%
Michigan 61%
Auburn 59%
Clemson 56%
Notre Dame 56%
Little bit of Georgia Corner:

Kirby Smart inherited a good Georgia roster from Mark Richt, but his first two classes are humming at 74 percent, while Richt’s final two were at 53.

For all the talk that Ohio State and Florida State (and LSU) compare to Alabama talent-wise, Saban's roster is pretty significantly deeper than everyone else's. Geez.

AP Poll is out:

Alabama
Ohio State
Florida State
USC
Clemson
Penn State
Oklahoma
Washington
Wisconsin
Oklahoma State
Michigan