• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colony |OT| Resist or Collaborate in Alien Occupied Los Angeles – Thursdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

kNwlFdV.png

Colony debuts Thursday, January 14 at 10pm eastern on USA. The first episode was released online in advance on December 31.

From executive producers Carlton Cuse and Ryan Condal comes USA’s newest, highly-anticipated drama COLONY. Set in the very near future, COLONY centers on one family’s struggle to survive and bring liberty back to the people of an occupied Los Angeles. Josh Holloway stars as former FBI agent Will Bowman and Sarah Wayne Callies stars as his wife, Katie, in the series which takes place in a dangerous world of divided ideologies. While some choose to collaborate with the occupation and benefit from the new order, others rebel and suffer the consequences. After being separated from their son during the invasion, Will and Katie are willing to do whatever is necessary to be reunited with him. Thus, when the powerful Proxy Snyder offers Will a chance to get his son back if he will collaborate with the occupational government, Will and Katie find themselves faced with the toughest decision of their lives. They will have to go beyond whatever they thought possible, risking their lives and their relationship to protect their family.

Cast:
REskzIM.png

• Josh Holloway as Will Bowman
  • Sarah Wayne Callies as Katie Bowman
  • Peter Jacobson as Alan Snyder
  • Amanda Righetti as Madeline Kenner
  • Tory Kittles as Broussard

Media
(click to enlarge)

Official Trailer
'Policy of Truth' Trailer
'Resist or Die' TV Spot
Will and Katie TV Spot
New Series TV Spot

Thanks, Sober!

As noted in the OT, the pilot out now.

I liked pilot and it's worth a look. They set up the premise quickly and don't waste any time getting to the central conflict of the series. Still, there are a number of unanswered questions about the occupation that are intriguing, so they struck a decent balance in the first hour. The cast does some nice work, and the alt-Los Angeles setting is creepy. Check it out.

A couple early reviews:

- IBT: 'Colony' Review: USA's Josh Holloway-Led Sci-Fi Suggests 'Mr. Robot' Was No Fluke
"Colony" is the more fan-friendly "Lost" follow-up Lindelof almost aggressively avoided, but less snobby TV fans should flock to appreciate. It is also, perhaps, an indication that "Mr. Robot" was no fluke for USA, but the product of a network on a mission.
- Wired: The 10 New Midseason Shows Worth Watching
There’s some splashy FX, and just enough mystery to make this a nice place-setter for what’s shaping up to be a promising show; from the looks of things, USA is continuing the prestige-genre push it began with the stellar Mr. Robot.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Too swamped in awesome shows and too burned out by hot garbage like Falling Skies to give this one a chance before I read GAF's consensus.

Hannibal, Orphan Black, Defiance, Orange is the New Black, The Knick, Archer, Silicon Valley, The Good Wife and Strike-Back's latest seasons, The Man in the High Castle, The Expanse (which is as good as TV sci-fi goes), Rectify... My backlog is already brutal as it is. I like Josh, but I really have no time to gamble into a new show.

Edit: And Mr. Robot. Fuck me.

Cardon

Really enjoyed the pilot. Nice vibe, good acting, and it made me want to see more. It also wasn't too in your face as far as dumping loads of backstory exposition or what have you, but I do hope this isn't going to be a tease laden show in respect to the aliens.

I'm totally fine with Colony not turning into another V as I simply don't want another Lost on our hands in which the writing staff is pulling stuff from their asses to satisfy the audience.

My gut feeling before seeing the pilot says this will be another flop for Josh Holloway. A premise like this needs a huge budget to be done well or a well written much smaller character driven show that won't have huge appeal.

- EW print review:
The setup leaves Holloway as a person torn between two bad choices--a spot in which the actor thrives--and the mystery of who now rules L.A. should be enough to keep you interested.
- Maureen Ryan's review for Variety
USA has evolved beyond its former “blue skies” approach, which is a smart way to remain competitive in a world saturated in scripted TV. But if “Colony’s” skies get a bit darker, and if its characters deepen and delve more deeply into the moral complexities that surround them, the network eventually might have a worthy new arrival on its hands.

TripOpt55

I watched the pilot and enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked seeing their version of LA and there is some intrigue with who is in control. Always liked Holloway too. I will definitely keep watching.

This reminds me, have we had a show or movie where the alien occupation was benign / lacking in a sinister ulterior motive and people basically got on with their lives?

I feel like there should be a space opera where that was how humans entered the equivalent of the federation.

This reminds me, have we had a show or movie where the alien occupation was benign / lacking in a sinister ulterior motive and people basically got on with their lives?

I feel like there should be a space opera where that was how humans entered the equivalent of the federation.

Childhood's End was just about this.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

I'd be more intested about realism when it comes to showing the kind of power harnessed by a race of beings capable of interstellar travel, and not just that, but moving entire societies with them through space.

You can't mount a resistance against what amount to Cosmic Gods. Exterminating any kind of opposing force should be as easy as turning a switch for them. This is why I always laff at films and shows such as (dear lord) Falling Skies.

- Lincoln Journal Star
Like “Lost,” you’ll be left with more questions than answers by pilot’s end. I am, of course, all in. I’m a sucker for a good mystery thriller. Plus, Holloway gets to show off his action-hero skills here, as does Callies. Should be a fun ride. Grade: B.
- Reason.com review
Instead, it’s a detailed and utterly compelling examination of the motives and morality of collaboration—like a Casablanca in which the protagonist is not Humphrey Bogart’s heroic Rick but Peter Lorre’s oily Ugarte. If that sounds dramatically counterintuitive and even confounding, get used to it; Colony is mostly about upsetting apple carts.

It's gotten my interest, but it's left to be seen how they will use the family stuff, since that is basically 'death wish' territory for science-fiction shows. So hopefully they will not put that in the center spotlight unless it involves Peter Jacobson, who is easily the best character in the pilot.
There is a rather disturbing lack of 'alien' influence in the structural appearances in the pilot though. Probably going to play out like HPWuvcraft mentioned, but okay. We all know Half-Life 2 has spoiled us immensely on the consistent art style of that scenario, which realistically could never be the case or even happen.

Also, if this ever gets an OT2 or S2, I'm placing my bets on two things:
(pilot spoiler) :
OT2: An old-fashioned occupation needs an old-fashioned cop
(show / season speculation, based on pilot)
OT2: It's people! (that whole factory thing)

- Onion A|V Club review
But what the series lacks in depth and visual elegance, it more than makes up for in sheer entertainment value. Colony combines the best aspects of USA’s past (generic shows that are nonetheless sugary treats) with the heady rush of its contemporary, Mr. Robot-era mission: Classing up the joint. Grade: B+

- THR review:
By episode four the show finds a nice groove all around. There are still plot twists before what seems like every commercial break. But the hyperkinetic storytelling finally meshes nicely with Will and Katie's increasing desperation and the camerawork gets steadier and more observant.
- SF Chronicle review
Characters and details are what hold our interest, almost to the point where we don’t realize that the plot is fairly thin. That works for a while, but eventually the series begins to feel flat, and our interest begins to drift. In too many ways, “Colony” is one missed opportunity too many.

RS4-

Found the pilot interesting enough for me to see how the next few eps shake out.

And I think the 'aliens' are just humans...sort of. Not full blown out ET kinda thing.

- Matt Zoller Seitz's review for NY Mag
Will Colony keep building toward something truly memorable? It’s always hard to say when a show first starts out, and it’s harder to guess with a show like this because of how the story is told. But however things shake out, USA should feel good about having made an investment in what seems, for the moment, like a work of real science-fiction, rather than science-fiction-flavored action or horror — a work of ideas and real emotion, with strong performances (it's nice to see Holloway playing scared and overwhelmed at times) and a keen grasp of which storytelling cards to play and which to keep in reserve.

maxcriden

Too swamped in awesome shows and too burned out by hot garbage like Falling Skies to give this one a chance before I read GAF's consensus.

Hannibal, Orphan Black, Defiance, Orange is the New Black, The Knick, Archer, Silicon Valley, The Good Wife and Strike-Back's latest seasons, The Man in the High Castle, The Expanse (which is as good as TV sci-fi goes), Rectify... My backlog is already brutal as it is. I like Josh, but I really have no time to gamble into a new show.

Edit: And Mr. Robot. Fuck me.

Skip MITHC. It's super slow and dull.

- Washington Post review
USA’s “Colony” (premiering Thursday) is a sci-fi family drama that is surprisingly more than the sum of its tropes, which are many.

- USA Today review:
Colony feels like something fresh, interesting and worth following. It’s when we get into the nitty gritty of Will’s police work, the stuff that provides the weekly engine for the series, that it feels a bit old-hat and rote. Still, you get a great role for Holloway, who has great, sex-charged on-screen chemistry with an equally strong Callies, and the strength of that “What would you do” premise. And for now, that may be enough.

I'm so FUCKING HYPE FOR THIS.

I love when my Lost alums get good work. Josh is great I hope this show has major success. It'd be good for the industry too for USA to evolve and take the next step like AMC did.

- NY Times review
Putting a human face on this are another “Lost” alumnus, Josh Holloway, and Sarah Wayne Callies of “The Walking Dead” as a husband and wife, Will and Katie Bowman, who end up on different sides — he, a Homeland Security agent; she, a member of the resistance. Mr. Holloway’s hair and grin are as magnificent as ever, and he and Ms. Callies, along with the show’s modest, quiet style and pace, keep us engaged through the early episodes.
- LA Times review
"Colony" appears far more interested in its people than its über plot, we'll hope for the latter. Holloway and Callies make a fine and troubled team, and the rest of an increasingly remarkable cast headed by Baker is rolled out with promising lack of fanfare. Weathers seems initially underused, as does Amanda Righetti as Katie's sister and "Episodes' " Kathleen Rose Perkins as Will's new colleague. Ally Walker doesn't show up in early episodes. If nothing else, "Colony" has provided its heroes with some pretty great backup.

- Warming Glow review:
Colony suffers from many of the problems that typify new shows, be it the inconsistent direction, occasional plot holes or lackluster character development. However, it really grows into itself a few episodes into the series’ 10-episode run. Whether or not this means Colony is best watched on a weekly or bingeing basis remains to be seen, but viewers will know soon enough.
- Philly.com review
Holloway and Callies, no strangers to speculative, high-stakes drama, make a formidable pair as characters human enough to be relatable, skilled enough be potentially heroic. Los Angeles, to be honest, has never looked better. Starting next week, Carl Weathers and Kathy Baker turn up in recurring roles. In the three episodes I've seen, the aliens remain distant, revealing themselves mostly in a flurry of high-velocity comings and goings and in the fear they generate in the conquered. "Colony" doesn't miss them. This story's all about us.
- Newsday review:
Murky, threatening futuristic series on USA. Too bad USA’s mesmerizing brainteaser “Mr. Robot” got our expectations up. Grade: C
- IGN review
USA's new sci-fi drama Colony almost entirely rests on the shoulders of its actors and characters. Josh Holloway and Sarah Wayne Callies both deliver solid performances in this first episode, and their couple dynamic could prove to be the key ingredient of this show. What doesn't really work is the world Colony is building, which doesn't really have anything to set it apart from other dystopian alien stories. Hopefully the story will come into its own as the series progresses.

Holloway and Callies do most of the heavy lifting in the pilot, but I thought Peter Jacobson did some nice work as the slimy Proxy guy.

Mindlog

"Hey, Falling Skies sucked. Let's try again, but get it right this time."
That's what I got from the first episode. I'm in.

Sober

"Hey, Falling Skies sucked. Let's try again, but get it right this time."
That's what I got from the first episode. I'm in.
Falling Skies was okay for what it was, it did genuinely have some good moments and I always liked it when they did those 1 take long shots going down a convoy or something. Yeah most of it was goofy or stupid but still.

so will this be cancelled? tired of sci-fi shows ending without a resolution
We'll have to see how the numbers look for the first few weeks. Last night's episode was released early plus it was up against the Republican debate, so I'm not sure what USA's expectations are like.

My friend was a writers assistant on this show so I've been hearing about it for the last year and a half. Glad to see its out there and people are enjoying it! I liked the pilot and I'll keep watching to see where it goes. And for my friend's sake I hope it gets picked up for season two haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom