• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colony |OT| Resist or Collaborate in Alien Occupied Los Angeles – Thursdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another good episode. I turned to my wife midway through and said, "Damn, Kathy Baker is kicking ass in this role."

And then they kill her. Dammit.

- Will thinks Geronimo is in the green zone. That's just outside of whatever barrier is protecting them from the 'aliens', right?
The green zone is inside the wall, but it's cordoned off for all the rich people so you have to go through the checkpoints to get there.
Another good episode. I turned to my wife midway through and said, "Damn, Kathy Baker is kicking ass in this role."

Yeah, kind of a bummer. I suppose they had to relieve some of the pressure on Katie because her getting caught wasn't really sustainable. Who was she talking to on the phone before she got shot?

The green zone is inside the wall, but it's cordoned off for all the rich people so you have to go through the checkpoints to get there.
Yeah, kind of a bummer. I suppose they had to relieve some of the pressure on Katie because her getting caught wasn't really sustainable. Who was she talking to on the phone before she got shot?

We don't know but the little hints about the "visitors" continue to be intriguing, like the comment about how they don't track time the same as we do.

Here's a picture that shows where the wall and the green zone are:

AXjwao1.png

I didn't think the latter was that big. It takes up a huge chunk of the area.

finally caught up.

I would expect unforeseen consequences considering what she actually said in the episode though. Clearly she was not the uncaring collaborator she was thought to be. Her phone call also didn't seem to be with a traditional collaborator.
Either way, they're clearly setting up
showing someone being interrogated soonish

You know, seeing all that Half-Life type influences, that noise coming from the wall, and the rather peculiar way that data appears to sent and processed (the helmet feed), I'm tempted to go with the visitors
being machines rather than biological. Kind of would explain the 'inexplicable' showing up of drones, as well as some other things. On the other hand I don't think this show is set up to be smart all the way. More like 'what can we get away with', as is expected in television.

Aside from that, I do like how Homeland Security, or the 'transitional authority' (transition to what exactly?), is just no fucks given red cloths with black eagles on it. "We're not the bad guys, we swear!". Maybe they should start wearing lederhosen and speaking German. But I guess they are played up as being bad when there is worse (those drones in the previous had no problem mowing down a bunch of people after all).

edit: poor Chinese Wall though. What did it ever do to you, aliens? Invoking jealousy?

Just finished EP4 this show is unreal. I didn't think they could make a show that was as interesting as Mr. Robot. Glad to see that after wrapping up Monk/Psych and White Collar the network is doing a fantastic job of transitioning the general direction of their programing.

Geist-

Aside from that, I do like how Homeland Security, or the 'transitional authority' (transition to what exactly?), is just no fucks given red cloths with black eagles on it. "We're not the bad guys, we swear!". Maybe they should start wearing lederhosen and speaking German. But I guess they are played up as being bad when there is worse (those drones in the previous had no problem mowing down a bunch of people after all).

edit: poor Chinese Wall though. What did it ever do to you, aliens? Invoking jealousy?

Actually, I think they did a great job of implying why the red hats are so brutal, it's because they aren't professionals.
Like they said before, the aliens pretty much exterminated all the law enforcement and government when they arrived, which is why Will and Phyllis are so valued in Homeland Security.
I view them like assholes given a lot of authority with little to no training beyond how to shoot a gun, which has a lot of parallels in the real world when we look at third world countries who don't have the foundation of training and history that first world law enforcement and military have.

USA us doing an amazing job with its original programming so far.

Hyun Sai

Actually, I think they did a great job of implying why the red hats are so brutal, it's because they aren't professionals.
Like they said before, the aliens pretty much exterminated all the law enforcement and government when they arrived, which is why Will and Phyllis are so valued in Homeland Security.
I view them like assholes given a lot of authority with little to no training beyond how to shoot a gun, which has a lot of parallels in the real world when we look at third world countries who don't have the foundation of training and history that first world law enforcement and military have.

Are you implying Aliens already exterminated all the good cops in the US ?

----------------------------------

I'm really impressed by the serie. I honestly feared several cringe inducing moments, but the show is in fact very smart in its handling of the story. And I couldn't care less about not seeing Aliens as long as the human factor is handled so well.

Episode 4, Blindspot was a joy to watch.

USA us doing an amazing job with its original programming so far.

I assume you aren't including the USA with the first world law enforcement here? Isn't nine weeks pretty much the standard for US police training? Seems very third world to me...

NimbusD

Just caught up. This show is great. Saw the pilot way back at comic con, loved it, then forgot about it during the wait, but so glad I found it again.

Surprised there's not more buzz around this show just given Cuse is show runner, it would deserve it thus far.

Mugiwara

Neo Member
I was pretty surprised by the ending, but I like that the show isn't playing it safe. I think anyone outside of Will and Katie is probably fair game.

I'm glad Holloway is on what looks to be a good show again. His last one, Intelligence, was prettttty bad.

I'm still puzzled by the wife's actions I mean it would benefit to cooperate with those the aliens left in charge in an attempt to find their son rather than joining some rag-tag militia that probably has no shot unless they pull some Falling Skies BS

- Collider: Exclusive Posters Reveal Incredible Occupation & Resistance Art
We now have the exclusive opportunity to share some of the artwork that the series has commissioned in order to really drive home that theme and more. The (incredibly cool and detailed) in-world posters, which will be featured on the upcoming episode “Geronimo,” come from both the Occupation and the Resistance, and were created by hugely talented artists GODMACHINE, Ken Taylor, Phantom City Creative, Jock, and Todd Slater.

More via the link.

That shot of the street was extremely reminiscent of Half-Life 2 and various disaster movies / games. The amount of bullet holes leave little to the imagination in terms of what happened to the rest of the humans though.

Seems that we're heading for a showdown with that ending.

On a complete sidenote about Kathleen Rose Perkins's (Jennifer, the blonde data analyst) performance, I didn't think you could shake your lower lip at will. I don't know anything about -face- acting or anatomy, but I've never someone actually do that on camera before that I currently recall. Good sell though. I'm getting excited about this show, which I was convinced would not happen earlier on.

kurahador

Another good episode. Can't wait to see that imminent confrontation next week.

Kinda weird how Broussard (the black guy) becomes more and more psychopathic looking by each episode.

golem

Pretty interesting show so far, sets up lots of interesting questions that I hope will be answered in a satisfactory manner. Who are the Hosts/Raps and why are they referred to as that? Why is the show called Colony? What is the purpose of the Factory? What is hte purpose of banning some diseases for treatment? Also why do the Hosts have a 'different perception of time'? Read the
future humans
theory on reddit and that seems like a pretty good one

Geist-

future humans
I'm actually a bigger fan of this than aliens. Aliens are almost never written well, never actually feel like aliens. Future humans on the otherhand can have a high, almost alien level of technology while still eventually providing a believable human perspective.

Sober

Was behind on this show but caught up. Definitely very fun to watch. Only thing I'm not sold on is Broussard, because he comes across more as a force of nature than a person. Like they need him to exist cause Will is too damn good at his job and stuff but he doesn't do much beside look menacing.

The poster art is really rad. I think there's a real intent behind all the art and visual direction though. I think I read somewhere they're definitely using imagery behind Occupied Paris as a big thing mixed into LA landmarks and stuff.

I mean the Homeland Security guys scream Nazi and even the show is self-aware enough to realize that (also the Factory basically being concentration camps in a way). But also things like people riding around the streets on bikes is very reminiscent of Occupied Paris. I mean the Yonk basically looks like one of those taverns and bars from that era, especially how it's lit (with some American sensibility mixed in).

I do find it odd how easily the resistance can stitch together fake redhat uniforms though, lol.

mm04

So this show is worth watching? I have so many damn shows on my list and I gave the first 2 episodes a shot and while it didn't grip me, I thought it had potential. I know it's already been renewed so it's safe, but maybe I'll marathon the rest of it to catch up.

So this show is worth watching? I have so many damn shows on my list and I gave the first 2 episodes a shot and while it didn't grip me, I thought it had potential. I know it's already been renewed so it's safe, but maybe I'll marathon the rest of it to catch up.

I would personally say No. It's really boring and silly. I like Sawyer and wanted to really like this but it reminds me of Falling Skies on TNT for some reason.

Nothing really improves past the first two episodes in my opinion.

I've been digging it. The main cast is very good, the setting is interesting, and they put the characters in a bunch of difficult situations that they have to negotiate. Since it's already been renewed, you have plenty of time to decide before next season.

I would personally say No. It's really boring and silly. I like Sawyer and wanted to really like this but it reminds me of Falling Skies on TNT for some reason.

Nothing really improves past the first two episodes in my opinion.

Comparing it to that seems very disingenuous to me. We recently finally had it end after five seasons and all that last thread was, was wondering whether it would be stupid or full-on stupid. And somehow it managed to be full-on stupid. Falling Skies's premise failed in the first five minutes of the first episode, whereas the somewhat similar sounding premise of Colony has very little in common with it when you look at the actual story (not to be confused with plot).
Colony's story is people trying to survive a 'merciful' prison by advanced visitors of unknown nature and superior means of technology (much like City 17 in Half-Life 2), Falling Skies was about ... ehm... practical effects doing things, for some reason and lots of "Amu'rica!". You have to admit there's a difference in story there. Even the idea of nations or even cities has been made irrelevant in Colony, where presumably everyone outside of the colony areas has been exterminated. They're basically an ad-hoc created city-state that serves as a self-managed prison. That's why bringing power and water back was such a big deal (and yet all hush-hush, going to the prison setting), because the invaders apparently only tolerate the human presence, they do not appear to require their continued existence (whereas this was the opposite in FS)

I mean, I can understand why you would consider them similar in plot, but Colony is way more focused and better written (as well as a TV show can be) than Falling Skies ever even tried to be. For one, it has an actual number of rules that it adheres to, even if those rules are not all spelled out for the viewer, similar to The Expanse.

I do think it's harder to get into because they took the media res approach like The Expanse (and both Half-Life's, by complete coincidence I don't doubt), and to some degree it's obvious that it's a TV show, so there a crumb trail and a cliffhanger at times.

AoM

Initially I thought this was an okay episode, but it's probably my favorite so far. Action, tense moments, great acting, more information about the colonies, hosts, etc. And next week looks just as good.

Good episode indeed. Too bad Snyder didn't get to saying what's outside the colony or why that would be awful. Guess that what the kids are going to discover.

Helena being in another block with a bit of ocean walled in though. Did they just launch that wall from space or something? Speaking of which, that teacher guy with the telescope played "Warren" on Buffy, for anyone who was also really trying to remember where you saw him before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom