• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colony – Season 2 |OT| Do Anything It Takes To Survive in Alien Occupied Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadayi

Banned
Been playing catch up. Enjoying it for the most part.Though I think 6 episodes into the second season we should be getting some answers, rather than teased like we are.

Devon dying was a bit 'really?'. I get it that there was a purpose behind it, but it felt unnecessary.

That wig..omg terrible, truly terrible. Also, the kid actor is outright bad. The daughters not great with her over-emoting, but at least she tries, whereas little boy lost just has the same resting bitchface throughout.

Hope Kathleen Rose Perkins comes back. She was good.

Also, I noted that they swapped out Thora Birch as Morgan for Bethany Joy Lenz this season. No biggie really as it was a small role last season, but damn TB can't get a break. I know the rumours about her dad messing things up for her career wise, but surely she must realise, if all you're getting is bit parts on TV series, maybe just maybe you need to rein it in.

Resistance arc is doing nothing for me. Why should I care if some guy named BB dies? Why should I care about that British dude's mom getting captured? I just don't know these people as characters. I'm enjoying Will's office creepiness and Bram and Sneider stuff but the resistance bits aren't doing it for me. That guy supervising Will is great casting tho and I just want to punch him in the face any time he's on screen.

And it sucks that Jennifer is gone to wherever because she was a good character.

It's disappointing to see the season lose some momentum the last couple episodes since it started so well. Condol claims the next two episodes are big ones, so I hope they can deliver.

having watched up till six, I'd say the issue with this season is that they are cutting off old plots, but without establishing a clear line of conflict. I think we're supposed to care about 'older son-man' but he doesn't have an advanced acting skill that would tell you the difference about his feelings towards his family, Snyder, or bomberbuddies, in any seperate manner. Charlie's conflict with Linsey and his parents, by contrast, is fucking great. That kid can actually act, and needs to be the only one that remains after bomberbuddies get son-man blown up or something. No offense to the actor, I'm just saying what I'm seeing as a viewer.
Hopefully, the coming episodes will ramp up the conflict between the family and the new bosses (or something), as well with the authority itself, so we get back to a clear line of conflict. Because right now, bomberbuddies vs Snyder isn't the focus, but I think it's meant to be.

Also, after all high tech stuff and actually seeing the ship shoot to orbit (kind of weird how that works, considering S1 suggested the mothership or whatever was between the moon - factory - and Earth, so you wouldn't need like FTL for that) in the first episode when son-man enters the camp, they used shitty wooden Earth crates to ship their stuff in? Well, enjoy your future bug problem, aliens. Cockroaches, flies, spiders, you name it. From Earth, with love, and plenty of kids.
I now really want to see one of the hosts flipping out from having a bug in his suit. All cursing and twisting and Will standing nearby: "huh, so that's their language", while the host literally squirming to death.

Yes, I know it's show with limited budget and I'm cool with that, but I'm also very aware of how easy it is to get an invasive species by shipping. Not just rats or cats by the imperialist 'discoverers' btw, but simply the common house fly being moved from its native Africa to everywhere on the planet by human trade.
If you have FTL and shit, that's something that should be on your mind when moving stuff around. To be fair, The Expanse doesn't give a shit about contamination protocols either, so this is more my thing than any show's concern.

- Blastr podcast, Ep 7
We've got a packed show this week as Syfy Wire contributing editor Tara Bennett hosts co-creator and executive producer Ryan J. Condal, co-executive producer Wes Tooke, veteran genre actor Adrian Pasdar, who plays Nolan Burgess, and actress Erin Way, who plays "Greatest Day" recruiter/tutor, Lindsey.

Pooya

well, I hope they can wrap it up in 3 episodes and it has a decent ending, I'm not expecting a 3rd season right now. Bowmans leaving LA seems like a decent ending I guess.

RIPIP Maya. They definitely hit the accelerator this episode - I thought it was a good one. The raid on the resistance safe house was intense. It'll be interesting to see where they go during the tail end of the season.

I could tell Will was getting really disturbed by all that torture and people getting executed. All that shit was fucked up. This show feels so hopeless and miserable at times. And then that 2 & 1/2 years til everyone dies revelation....yikes. Looking forward to where things go, but I'm not sure how much fun it will be lol.

I could tell Will was getting really disturbed by all that torture and people getting executed. All that shit was fucked up. This show feels so hopeless and miserable at times. And then that 2 & 1/2 years til everyone dies revelation....yikes. Looking forward to where things go, but I'm not sure how much fun it will be lol.

Yeah, these last few episodes have definitely been grim.

I don't know what the Red Hand resistance group setting off a few bombs is going to really do either. The Occupation has the superior tech, info, numbers, and a seemingly majority of the population either terrified or outright on their side.

Still not sure exactly what they are using humans for in The Factory.

I wonder what all of these Authority people are going to think when they realize they're next after everyone else is gone.

Huh, I actually gave a shit about Bram there. But we lost Jenkins for it. That man loved his job, goddammit.
Having the explosion tie the three plots together (despite that Will shouldn't be able to see it, I think) was a good thing too. Because you just know Nolan is going to become major suspect on that one, with the sister potentially blowing the lid on the Bowmans.
edit: felt like a half-season finale, actually.

Still not sure exactly what they are using humans for in The Factory.

Seems to me like the stuff they are mining is green ( if I remember correctly ), and what the pod-lady was vomiting out was green too. I expect there to be a relation between the two, whatever that may be. Though I don't think those pods were meant for the factory, oddly enough. Nolan wouldn't be so interested in them if they were simply meant for the factory, right? Or maybe he doesn't know what the factory is or believe it exists?

I'm betting on the labor camp going awol and Bram and Snyder winding up outside, so we get to know what that is about, with the Bowmans remaining inside the bloc by season's end. Real question is: will we get another season (or two) to wrap this up?
And I'm saying that because a cable show with stable but low numbers seems unlikely to avoid getting axed.

I still don't have much of a feeling for what's going on in the factory. As far as the pods go, my assumption was that those are the people getting off the planet or out of the colony before the aliens kill everyone else. They're ascending as part of the greatest day or whatever. Not sure where they're headed, but they're the ones getting out before the extinction event.

JS3DX

well, I hope they can wrap it up in 3 episodes and it has a decent ending, I'm not expecting a 3rd season right now. Bowmans leaving LA seems like a decent ending I guess.

That's the thing I don't get: Why getting out of L.A. is the main objective right now? The hosts are going to wipe out mankind anyways, no matter where they go.

You could argue "well, they're going to blast L.A. first, after all the resistance's sabotages" but that's doesn't create a clear goal for the Bowmans.

faridmon

EP 2:

The hypocrisy of the mum:

Worried about her kid so much when she was the one who doing things that would put her kids the same predicament as they are now.

How are the creators of this show happy with this character development?

Apart from that I am enjoying this show.

Yeah, this episode was definitely a sudden upgrade in getting shit done. But particularly the camerawork is interesting. Lots of different angles and handheld cams, from the looks of it. That house search was a one take too.

Seems Juan José Campanella is both executive producer and director of most of the episodes this season. He did episode one to four and this one, with others in between.
Also a different DP this episode, one Christopher Faloona, who goes back to Tales of the Crypt (1996), so that might account for the difference in approach between the two. Regardless, it is good to see someone making potentially mundane shots into something interesting.

I want to say "poor Lindsey", but at the same time, she had something bad coming.
Also, with
Bram's line done, we are back to a main line of conflict: Bowmans versus Red Hand and Occupation.
Yay!

Pooya

Lindsey got her greatest day.
Snyder continues to be the best character in the show.
Will was played like fiddle...
The house scene was damn good, was that one take?

This is more like it, things actually happened.

- Onion A|V Club review
- Promo for next week's episode (please spoiler tag any discussion)
- Podcast for this week
"Good Intentions" was chock full of twists, turns, revelations and a shocker death. Let's get to the bottom of all of it in our latest edition of Syfy Wire's Colony: The Official Podcast.

This week, Syfy Wire contributing editor Tara Bennett hosts co-creator and executive producer Ryan J. Condal, co-executive producer Wes Tooke, the extremely talented, multi-hyphenate Bethany Joy Lenz, who plays techie Resistance member Morgan, and the man behind Snyder, the incredible Peter Jacobson.

Lindsey got her greatest day.
Snyder continues to be the best character in the show.
Will was played like fiddle...
The house scene was damn good, was that one take?

This is more like it, things actually happened.

Great episode. Things are looking crazy for next week as well.

Mindlog

I get what they were going for with the house scene, but I would really enjoy seeing the exact same action with a steadier camera.

I'm shocked that Snyder is still alive. I'm mildly bummed about Lindsay finally dying because it would've been amusing to see Charlie drive her completely crazy. Anyway, good to see things ramping up before the conclusion of the season.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I'm shocked that Snyder is still alive. I'm mildly bummed about Lindsay finally dying because it would've been amusing to see Charlie drive her completely crazy. Anyway, good to see things ramping up before the conclusion of the season.

I'm half expecting to see a Lindsay clone before the end of the season.

-Deimos

I was caught off guard by Lindsey's death because it seemed like she was going to pay a bigger role after that threat to Charlie. One way to tie up loose ends I guess.

Will's been surprisingly incompetent this season when it comes to his job. He's fine in firefights but when it comes to reading people he's screwed up a bunch of times.
I'm half expecting to see a Lindsay clone before the end of the season.
That would be hilariously awesome.

tootie923

Also, I noted that they swapped out Thora Birch as Morgan for Bethany Joy Lenz this season. No biggie really as it was a small role last season, but damn TB can't get a break. I know the rumours about her dad messing things up for her career wise, but surely she must realise, if all you're getting is bit parts on TV series, maybe just maybe you need to rein it in.

What?? I didn't even notice Thora last season. I need to go back and look again.

What?? I didn't even notice Thora last season. I need to go back and look again.
Yup, same character.
6xQ8ndn.jpg

Nameless

Kinda figured there was more to Karen with her being played by TV's Laura Innes. Great actor, the show needed a 'villain' apart from The Occupation.

Interested to see how this whole enemy of my enemy is also my enemy dynamic plays out for the Bowman's the rest of the season. They can't let The Red Hand slide on this, but it would also be a mistake taking down the biggest threat to The Occupation.

Also watch out for dust storms, one sprang up out of nowhere and I missed the last 45 seconds!

Charlie is the real MVP.

The Red Hand raid on the house was intense as hell. Well executed scene, along with Bram reuniting with his little brother.

Broussard's cell loses another member. Goodbye English guy.

- Podcast for this week: Episode 9: Ally Walker talks Alpha females and weasel underlings
"Tamam Shud" (meaning 'ended' in Persian) has the Bowman's wiggling out of a complicated sting operation right into a possible new alliance. We talk about it all in our latest edition of Syfy Wire's Colony: The Official Podcast.

Syfy Wire contributing editor Tara Bennett welcomes co-creator and executive producer Ryan J. Condal, episode writer and co-executive producer Wes Tooke and the woman who terrifies everyone in the bloc, Governor General Helena Goodwin, aka the amazing Ally Walker!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom