• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colony |OT| Resist or Collaborate in Alien Occupied Los Angeles – Thursdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand, it feels like a cheat not to see anything, so we wanted to at least tell the audience that there isn't some sort of giant mind—k here; there are aliens.

and thank god for that. Overall the finale seemed more about setting up a second season, but the side shot of the dead host showed a longer skull so we can thankfully ditch any speculation on the 'what'.
I wonder what the gig is for them. I had also hoped the telescope plot would end less anti-climatic, but okay.

I do love that curfew siren though.

Also, if you're TV-married to Sarah Wayne Callies, you're gonna have a bad time.

18dda031bf35428bfc6ce6f790cf1014.gif

the ending was okay,,,,gonna be a long wait for that 2ms season

I was at least hoping we get a look a the aliens but the suit seems nearly indestructible, that device qill probabr come in handy sooner or later

and Katie returns home alone....that what she deserves.....

James93

The ending was mild for a usa show, usually they love ending on some cliffhanger.

Overall it was a good season, looking forward towards seasons 2

-Deimos

Good finale, I'm actually glad it didn't end on a cliffhanger.
and thank god for that. Overall the finale seemed more about setting up a second season, but the side shot of the dead host showed a longer skull so we can thankfully ditch any speculation on the 'what'.
I wonder what the gig is for them. I had also hoped the telescope plot would end less anti-climatic, but okay.

I do love that curfew siren though.

18dda031bf35428bfc6ce6f790cf1014.gif

I only just realized she was on TWD...

Quidam

So, in the least spoilery way possible, how did this show shape up? I enjoyed the pilot, but haven't had time to watch the remaining episodes yet.

Also, apologies if this has been asked very recently, I've deliberately avoided looking at any other posts in this thread.

Thanks!

So, in the least spoilery way possible, how did this show shape up? I enjoyed the pilot, but haven't had time to watch the remaining episodes yet.
It's a hybrid between a family drama, spy thriller, and sci-fi show. The main cast is very good, they do a nice job of painting most characters gray, and the occasional sci-fi teases are intriguing. If you liked the pilot, it's well worth continuing.

It's a hybrid between a family drama, spy thriller, and sci-fi show. The main cast is very good, they do a nice job of painting most characters gray, and the occasional sci-fi teases are intriguing. If you liked the pilot, it's well worth continuing.

This. Really intense at times as well. Hard to say which side I'd want to be on, frankly. They do a very good job of representing why each side is in the "right."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly I hated the wife character. At least the kids were mostly non-entities that didn't drag down the show, but what they tried to do with the moral ambiguity of the wife was just silly. It's one of those things where it may ruin the show if it bothers you enough.

bwahhhhh

Yeah, the pilot for me was the worst episode and I was pretty meh on it, (not bad but not great, just okay but I was interested in the world around it) but the show improved a lot and I became really invested starting with the fourth episode. That was the episode where i finally learned to like a few characters, one in particular (spoiler)
and she was killed at the end of the episode, haha ... :(

So I'd definitely say that anyone who likes the pilot should keep going

Kadayi

Banned
Finally got around to watching the finale. Was a little bit put out with the way it played out, but they managed to feed us enough new information to make it somewhat palatable. Enjoyed the cold open which seemed to imply things had gone to shit, until you realise this is elsewhere, but then things do go to shit in the show proper. Also Thora Birch is one of the new resistance people (didn't recognise her at first). Hopefully this might become a regular gig for her and she can salvage her broke assed career.

Also Thora Birch is one of the new resistance people (didn't recognise her at first). Hopefully this might become a regular gig for her and she can salvage her broke assed career.
As far as I know, this is her regular gig from now on (until they inevitably kill her off.)

From an interview a few weeks ago:
Q: With Colony nearing its season finale, tell me about jumping onto the show in its last two episodes?

Thora Birch: There's two major benefits. One is everyone, by the time I've got on set, everyone had a really good feel for what they were doing and where they were going.

The other thing is, as I come in at a story point which is, it's the tail end of one era in the show and it's the beginning of another. So I really get to come in, in that transitionary section where things are really shifting and really changing. And I don't know that much about where my character is going, but I can't wait to find out.

Sober

Kinda hoping they keep the resistance as it is from the finale, or build up around them. The CIA-style-led resistance was kinda like really just I dunno, hard to enjoy. I guess that was the intention but other than Katie and like a few people it felt like it didn't really have much personality to it. Even the Homeland offices when they went back to it felt more interesting to watch cause of Beau (too bad he's gone) and Jennifer.

NimbusD

Finally got around to finishing this season. Wow this show really surprised me. I was sort of meh on it for the first half, they really built up the main cast well, but the side characters were boring and the world wasn't built enough to inspire any sort of imagination for where the show might go (the hosts have such a stronghold on the colonies, what could they possibly do?).

Then it started building around episode 5, making you care a bit more for a handful of side characters, and slowly changing the dynamics. I love that (I guess I'll spoiler this?)
they didn't sit on will not knowing katie was resistance foreeever like other shows might, they held it off as long as it needed to be and then rightfully let it play out in a way that didn't feel cheap. They let the status quo really blow up. Also gotta say I love a show that lets the main female character grow and not be just a buzzkill to the main male character's badassness. There's a really nice dynamic between them.

I'd like to see the cast flesh out even more the next season. But I think the show sees that and has been moving that direction which is great. It's just going to be tough balancing it in just 10 episodes. Was hoping the kid (forget his name) didnt get caught at the end of the season, he sat out like 5 episodes and I feel like he's just going to wind up sitting out the next season mostly too, just used as a plot device for will or katie.

Anyway, outside fo all that rambling, I hope more people jump onto this show next season. It's really great and evolving very nicely.

USA ran a S2 teaser trailer last night (no new footage)

Also, the Comic Con panel is this afternoon, so we might get a few details on where the show is headed:
4:45 to 5:45 p.m. Colony Panel with Cast and Creators

Featuring: Executive producers Carlton Cuse and Ryan Condal, along with stars Josh Holloway, Sarah Wayne Callies, Adrian Pasdar, Peter Jacobson, and Tory Kittles

- EW: Comic-Con 2016: Colony reveals Bowman's missing son in spoof trailer

The clip is hilarious. Check it out.

Also, some details on S2:
As for the alien hosts, which were only partially revealed via the dead RAP, Cuse said they’ll play a bigger role in season 2. “The aliens were not a big part of the first season, but definitely the second season there’s a lot more science fiction,” he says, keeping mum on whether we’ll actually see them in all their glory. “We are definitely ramping up the science fiction side of things.”

Also on tap for the second season, we’ll learn more about the wall that separates each bloc, along with how each bloc is governed differently — which Cuse noted was somewhat of a social experiment. “The world is going to open up a lot this year,” Condal said. “We’re going to see into Santa Monica, and we’re also going to see outside the colony. There’s a story that takes place outside the walls.” Cuse added: “It’s a little more dystopic this year.”
More via the link.

S2 casting news:

- EW: Colony adds Ugly Betty, Black Sails stars for season 2
It’s time to meet the new proxy in charge!

Tony Plana and Jessica Parker Kennedy have joined the cast of Colony in season 2, EW has learned exclusively.

Ugly Betty’s Plana will play Proxy Alcala, the new proxy of the Los Angeles bloc. Alcala is a cunning politician and oozes charisma, and unlike Snyder (Peter Jacobson), he fits the public figure job perfectly. While he plays the role of enlightened leader helping the population through this difficult time, behind closed doors, Alcala is ruthless and willing to do anything to hold onto his power.

Kennedy (Black Sails, The Secret Circle) will play Maya, a bold woman who is stationed at a secretive labor camp and is willing to take big risks for what she believes in. Basically, danger and seduction are part of her game.

Both will recur in season 2, which is slated to premiere in 2017 on USA.

cNMponM.jpg

- A few more casting notes:
William Russ (Girl Meets World), Keiko Agena (Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life) and Paolo Andino (The Last Ship) have joined the second season cast of USA Network’s Colony in recurring roles.

Russ plays Hennessey,
a seen-it-all ex-spy who always had more brains than brawn and now serves as a lateral bridge between the many Resistance cells. This privileged and dangerous position allows Hennessey to help Broussard (Tory Kittles) unravel one of the big mysteries surrounding the Los Angeles bloc’s purpose.
Agena is Betsy,
a co-worker of Will Bowman (Josh Holloway) and Jennifer (Kathleen Rose Perkins) at Homeland Security. She is the one friendly face they can rely on, but as the politics of the Occupation take a dark turn, Betsy finds herself placed in a compromising position.
Andino plays Howard
, a Redhat whose loyalties will be tested when he meets Broussard.

Season 2 picks up with
alien intelligence still in control of a near-future Los Angeles. In an effort to get their son back, Will (Holloway) has been cooperating with the Collaborators and now knows about his wife Katie’s (Sarah Wayne Callies) alliance with the Resistance. With her secret out, and now finding themselves on opposite sides of the battle, the question now is whether they’ve jeopardized any hope of reuniting their family.

norm9

Ohh, didn't realize Thora Birch is on this show. Big fan of hers. Saw a commercial for it and it looked interesting. Guess I'll have to give it a shot now.

AoM

Ohh, didn't realize Thora Birch is on this show. Big fan of hers. Saw a commercial for it and it looked interesting. Guess I'll have to give it a shot now.

Not to discourage you from watching, but she has pretty small role in S1.

RS4-

Worth watching? I only saw the first...2 eps I think lol.

Garbage, not even available on netflix canada.

edit - lol available jan 14.

- YahooTV's Winter Preview
‘Colony’ (Jan. 12, 10 p.m., USA)

This Season's Theme: "Last season we showed an alien occupation in its nascent stages," executive producer Ryan Condal says. "Season 2 will show the darker more authoritarian view of occupation and colonization."

Where We Left Off: Katie (Sarah Wayne Callies) and the resistance captured an alien, presumably killed it, and extracted the mysterious "gauntlet" from his body suit, but not before former FBI agent turned reluctant collaborator Will (Josh Holloway) tracked them down and realized the extent of his wife's betrayal.

Coming Up: "This otherwise strong family was blown apart by external forces,” says Condal. “Katie is broken by the consequences of her actions and isolated from everyone she cares about including the resistance, and Will, who is off trying to get Charlie back home." Not that they will be separated for long. "Will knew he married a rebel and loves her for that, but feels betrayed because she was working both sides,” says Holloway. “Their love is still there. They’re bent, not broken."

The Struggle Is Real: Brexit, Syria, Russian hacking, and the brutal presidential campaign has made Colony feel "depressingly more and more relevant" to Condal. The eerie tonal similarities hit an apex when the finale shoot coincided with election night. "That night, oh my god, I didn't even have to act," Holloway recalls. "My line was like, 'We gotta get out of this block, guys.' Jesus, I felt just like that. That was a tough pill to swallow and still is."

Also, Josh Holloway is on Colbert tonight promoting the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom