• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colony |OT| Resist or Collaborate in Alien Occupied Los Angeles – Thursdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of me hopes they show the aliens in the finale, but at the same time I like that it's left a little vague and we don't know if there really are aliens or if it's the government manipulating events to control the population.

AoM

A lot of set up for the finale next week (which looks crazy). I want to look through that book their daughter had. One of the pages showed what was in one of the scenes on the moon.

Sober

Finally the resistance storyline seems interesting. Hopefully we see more of that trio, because they seem to balance out Broussard better, as much as Guilfoyle was doing good work, I was kinda meh on his character.

The curfew horn always comes back at great moments though, especially tonight.

- EW: Colony postmortem: Ryan Condal on Will and Katie's big showdown
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: That huge fight between Katie and Will was obviously a long time coming, and it totally delivered. How was it to write that scene, put it together, and then see it performed by Josh Holloway and Sarah Wayne Callies, who are so good in these roles?
RYAN CONDAL: We always talk in the room about how it’s ideal that Will is this amazing investigator, he’s an incredible reader of people and a very instructional human detective, and that the one person that he has a blind spot for is his wife. Anybody else in his life he would’ve had them pegged. But because it was Katie and because he loves her so deeply and he can’t believe she would lie to him and spy on him like this, he looked for every excuse that he could to explain it away. In episode 8, he’s out of excuses and now he’s decided to use her just as she used him, and use her to break up this Resistance spell. It’s a long build, it was a very difficult scene to shoot and I really think for both of them [Josh and Sarah] it’s a high watermark of their work in the season.

And it felt earned, too. It didn’t feel like it came out of the blue when you watched them yell at each other with all these accusations, especially when Katie told Will this wasn’t a marriage or a partnership. I feel like that ties back to what you said earlier about treating this relationship like an infidelity story.
You have to build every storyline separately because when you get scenes like this, you want to feel like you’re rewarded. Will and Katie had a huge blow out fight in episode 1 but in order to get to the place we got to in their argument in this episode, you really have to experience the season. There’s things you can do right out of the gate but there’s a lot of things like a big emotional end and the sci-fi cliffhanger that really have to be earned to land with the audience.
Bram watched the whole fight from the window. Between that and knowing his mom is hiding a secret, what can you tease about how he’ll be affected going into the finale?
There’s a lot of really good stuff to come for Bram. With his character, the challenge in any of these shows is to try to present the teenager in a new light that is sort of unique to television and unique to the situation you put your characters in. We had to do some storytelling this year to earn our way into the Bram story that we wanted to tell, but he has a pure sense of right and wrong, even more so than his dad and his mother. And you have big worldly stuff going on with the adults, and the challenge is how do you find a compelling story for the children? We had to cross some of the tropes of these kinds of characters to find him in the world we wanted him in, and we’ve seen him kind of resisting all season long — not in the sense of taking up arms against the Occupation, but just Bram’s journey outside the wall to forge for goods and helping his teacher build a telescope …those are all forces of resistance we’ve seen from this angry young man, growing into this character with a clearly black-and-white sense of code of morality. The sad irony here for Will and Katie is that in their obsession to find their missing son, they have, in a way lost their other children.
Okay. Tease us about that last shot. Come on! What did Broussard and Katie find in the train car?
[Laughs] I will assure you that is the main subject of the story next week.

That argument was straight up stupid, all Katie and her group has been doing is getting people killed. And with last night's episode is gonna get slot of people arrested and or killed if they look slightly suspicious to the occupants, she should've taken her husbands advice and live off the grid, does she not realize the position she's putting her family? If one is caught the whole family pays.

That argument was straight up stupid, all Katie and her group has been doing is getting people killed. And with last night's episode is gonna get slot of people arrested and or killed if they look slightly suspicious to the occupants, she should've taken her husbands advice and live off the grid, does she not realize the position she's putting her family? If one is caught the whole family pays.

agreed. This is also something that pretty much always tends to happen in this type of setup. I was hoping it would be smarter about it. I pray that the guy in the suit (build is male, five fingers, so human, etc) is not the actual thing but an in-between of sorts or something
(going with my early suggestion of machines I would have said android, except he's clearly knocked out and has a biomonitor)
, because if it's a cheap shot of mystery that's where I will probably choose to bow out. I mean, a reveal should really never be exactly what everyone expects. Like why the wall makes that noise.

Then again, Will said "fight my way through the city" which implies there was a fight at the arrival to begin with, which doesn't seem very consistent with previous breadcrumbs.
Strong points of this episode are Carl Weathers and the car dump ("so that's where they all went" ), as well as the mini-smurk on 'the assistant'. Suspect the wife is going to be something of a cold case...heeeyyyooo

Sober

Then again, Will said "fight my way through the city" which implies there was a fight at the arrival to begin with, which doesn't seem very consistent with previous breadcrumbs.
Well any war or conflict lasted 7 or 8 hours according to the show. Also people like FBI agents, law enforcement were especially targeted for assassination.

And even if not he probably means he had to "fight" the crowds of panicked people, backed up traffic, etc.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This show is so underrated. This is the kind of deep, speculative science fiction that needs to be way more common in television. It's so damn good.

It is barely sci-fi though. This show feels like a Paris 1943 resistance script where they just swapped "Alien" for "Nazi" and ran with it.

What good could the resistance possibly do? What goals do they have? Everyone seems relatively well off, fed, clothed, sheltered, employed. Sure, there are the fat cats in the green zone but really, if they just let folks travel between colonies I don't think there would be any resistance at all (assuming 99% of humanty got wiped out and they know that). Even the stuff the regular folks don't have seems meaningless, as there are clearly plenty of supplies around so why create an artificial demand?

Am I the only guy who thought Carl Weathers would turn out to be Brossard's dead-beat firefighter dad? Have those two actually met yet?

It is barely sci-fi though. This show feels like a Paris 1943 resistance script where they just swapped "Alien" for "Nazi" and ran with it.

What good could the resistance possibly do? What goals do they have? Everyone seems relatively well off, fed, clothed, sheltered, employed. Sure, there are the fat cats in the green zone but really, if they just let folks travel between colonies I don't think there would be any resistance at all (assuming 99% of humanty got wiped out and they know that). Even the stuff the regular folks don't have seems meaningless, as there are clearly plenty of supplies around so why create an artificial demand?

Am I the only guy who thought Carl Weathers would turn out to be Brossard's dead-beat firefighter dad? Have those two actually met yet?

Why does a caged bird want to be free? I mean it gets shelter, protection from animals, fed and watered every day.

However, that analogy doesn't include the fact that people get beaten and killed by the red hats and the totalitarian regime that rules over them.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Why does a caged bird want to be free? I mean it gets shelter, protection from animals, fed and watered every day.

However, that analogy doesn't include the fact that people get beaten and killed by the red hats and the totalitarian regime that rules over them.

Sure, maybe, but apparently ALL OF HUMANITY was wiped out in less than a day by the aliens. Humans are barely hanging on, purely by the aliens will. Yet their daily life seems pretty good. Nice homes, basic needs are met and even some luxuries. There are odd gaps like the insulin thing which make no sense, as you'd think that would be something the green zone folks would bring in as a barter system. They clearly get manufactured goods from somewhere (the pastries, etc) so if they are just looting stockpiles from somewhere that is not well telegraphed on the show.

So what does the resistance want? Just to sow chaos? They present no demands, they have no presented end-game solution, no apparent rival political system or measures to address the inequality between the zones. There is no outside military/political force they can appeal to for aid.

I think the world building is atrocious in this show. There are lots of allusions to historical scenarios and current civilian/police tensions (the casual brutality displayed by the red hats for sure, and rounding up entire families when one person violates rules) but it is so scattered and poorly connected. How are they paid? Where are supplies coming from? How are the green zone folks able to maintain their status when the entire system seems capricious and arbitrary? It feels like the backstory isn't that robust and isn't being laid out at a necessary pace.

I think the show is trying to be way smarter than it actually is and the depth in scenery, costuming, and dialogue isn't there. Heck, there is barely any speculation or discussion about the aliens. For me, a key thing that would make this 'sci-fi' would be extrapolating possible alien motives based on what they do and don't do to stimuli (provided by the resistance). Make the show about trying to understand the aliens. Yet all we get is a very basic spy game plot with loads of family drama.

Incidentally I had this same problem with the "Childhood's End" miniseries from syfy. They stripped out almost all of the 'detective work' in the book and replaced it with manufactured family drama. I want a smart science based sci-fi show, not melodrama with a thin sci-fi skin. Of course you can almost go overboard in the other direction with something like 'The Expanse', but I'll take that in a heartbeat!

We'll see with this next episode. I'm expecting an underwhelming 'reveal' but we'll see.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

My thoughts exactly. Does she not care about her other son? Ridiculous.

I think this guy seems to forget what happen before the show started that led up to having a relatively calm occupation.

Zoe

Finally caught up. I'm predicting Taub will bite it because there's no way Petrelli can go from playing a senator and a president to someone's meek underling.

- Collider: ‘Colony’ Showrunner Ryan Condal on Working on Season 1
Collider: What can you tease about the season finale?

RYAN CONDAL:
There’s an assumption that the occupying force and the so-called Transitional Authority are one in the same, and that they have the same motives and mission. But what we realize in these last episodes, and in Episode 10 particularly, is how little that is actually true and how large the divide is, in knowledge and mission, between the “aliens” and the human collaborators that they have left in charge.

Somnia

Well I thought it was a good episode, but I guess I expected more for a season finale.

Looks like season 2 is being setup pretty well though. Santa Monica here we come!

Zoe

Eh. They could have at least given us a light in the bunker moment, like the factory reveal.

It needed a hook at the end but otherwise it was great. I'd rather have no hook and a second season then a hook with no second season.

This show must be soooo unpopular though. Double the episodes than pages in this thread. I'm going to start hyping this up to everyone I know.

Sober

I thought they might go a bit bigger with it, but still a good finale and I'm excited about next season.

- IGN review
Definitely feels like they planted their flag in the ground with the show; it's more of a character show than a genre/mystery thing. Which I kinda like, so I'm kinda expecting more of that next season.

Not that you have to beat around the bush but clearly the show isn't hinging everything on "JUST WAIT TIL NEXT WEEK WHEN THE ALIEN MONOLOGUES THEIR EVIL PLAN".

jond76

Banned
Didn't know there was a thread for this. I liked the whole season, it's a good show and glad season 2 is coming.

Anyone else recognize the song when the proctor went to see his daughter? It was "Dharma Lady" by Geronimo Jackson! Ha.

- THR: 'Colony' Creator Carlton Cuse Breaks Down Surprising Finale, Teases "Spy-Fi" Season Two
What did you and co-creator Ryan Condal hope to accomplish at the end of this season?

We really loved this idea of separating and exploding the dynamics of the main characters at the end of the season. We felt like episode nine was the emotional resolution of the show, and the finale was the setup for what the show would be in season two: Will is in Santa Monica, Bram (Alex Neustaedter) is arrested, Snyder (Peter Jacobson) is no longer Proxy, Maddie (Amanda Righetti) and the kids are in the Green Zone, and Katie is alone. The decisions they've made has left this family fractured at this point in time, and the second season will be about what the consequences of that are.
Will comes full circle at the end of the season, leaving for Santa Monica to find his son Charlie. What can we expect from him in season two?

It was important that Will accomplished something. He began the season setting out to find his son, and he got caught and went through this long and circuitous journey. At the end of the season, he's through the wall, in the Santa Monica block, and now he can fulfill his mission. Early on in the second season, we'll pick that storyline up and find out whether or not he finds Charlie. Everything Will has done is driven by his desire to get his kid back. He's determined to finish what he started.

While Will searches for Charlie, Katie is further away from her family than ever. What's next for her?

We wanted the season to end with Katie alone, torn between wanting to get her family back together and also her responsibilities to the resistance. Broussard tells her earlier in the season: "Once you're in, you're in." It's a little like Al Pacino in The Godfather Part III. Katie will find it hard to extricate herself from the resistance and the obligations she formed there.

You say Katie is alone, but we do see someone spying on her in the final scene…

One of the things we could have done better in the first season is explain how the characters in our story are watched. The notion of surveillance and how order is maintained in totalitarian society is something we want to explore in season two. We didn't want to start the show in such a dystopic place. We wanted to build. We wanted to see how there are different circumstances between the blocks, and over time, even within the blocks things change dramatically. Surveillance is a big aspect of that. We'll learn a lot more about that in season two.
In the finale, we finally saw a host. Previously, we learned that the Factory is not on Earth. Are we moving into more overt science fiction territory as we head into season two?

Yes, very much so. Someone used the term "spy-fi" for our show, which is a good summation of what the show is going to be in season two. We always loved the idea of doing an alien invasion story where you see one alien one time in the first season, and he's in a suit, and he's dead. That was incredibly exciting to us, subverting genre expectations in that way. On the other hand, it feels like a cheat not to see anything, so we wanted to at least tell the audience that there isn't some sort of giant mind—k here; there are aliens.

What's the post-mortem on season one, now that it's finished?

I'm proud of the show. There's a huge amount you have to accomplish in creating a brand new world. We did it in a way that wasn't too didactic and expositional, which is always a challenge. We were really lucky to land two huge television stars in Josh Holloway and Sarah Wayne Callies to anchor our show. We did a really solid job of setting up their relationship and creating a show where there's a mélange of espionage and science-fiction, but at its core, there's a story about how a family survives occupation.

All that said, I am super excited about season two. We think the show is going to get even better. It feels like we can explore the concept of colonization in new ways, and amp up the science fiction quotient, while staying focused on this family and their fate. The show started well, and it's on an exciting growth path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom