• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Also for anyone reading Batgirl, how is it? I read the first couple issues but saw some later covers and noticed a big shift in tone and its giving me like a ms marvel kinda vibe which is dope

Are we talking about the Batgirl of Burnside run? I think they just switched creative teams at #51. But before that, Babs Tarr's art was always lovely. Plot-wise, I think they went in kind of a weird direction with it. Very technology-heavy in terms of social media and hackers and Artificial Intelligence things.

This makes me very hype lol

Also for anyone reading Batgirl, how is it? I read the first couple issues but saw some later covers and noticed a big shift in tone and its giving me like a ms marvel kinda vibe which is dope

It's just been ok(having read just the last 10 issues or so), I wouldn't say it's as good as Ms Marvel though from what little I've read. Interested in her main Rebirth book though, don't think I'm interested in Birds of Prey at all.

This makes me very hype lol

I stopped with 50 but it was ok. Not really great, but it was a solid and fun run. I wouldn't go out of my way to read it if I'm being honest. If you want to read Batgirl, you could just read the Cassandra Cain or Stephanie Brown stuff which are much better.

Calcium

Banned
Trying to reorganize my shelves. I do not have good units for comics. All the different heights are such a pain in the ass. Not even sure how I'm going to handle this. Organizing by height isn't really something I want to do.

Are we talking about the Batgirl of Burnside run? I think they just switched creative teams at #51. But before that, Babs Tarr's art was always lovely. Plot-wise, I think they went in kind of a weird direction with it. Very technology-heavy in terms of social media and hackers and Artificial Intelligence things.

It's just been ok(having read just the last 10 issues or so), I wouldn't say it's as good as Ms Marvel though from what little I've read. Interested in her main Rebirth book though, don't think I'm interested in Birds of Prey at all.

I stopped with 50 but it was ok. Not really great, but it was a solid and fun run. I wouldn't go out of my way to read it if I'm being honest. If you want to read Batgirl, you could just read the Cassandra Cain or Stephanie Brown stuff which are much better.

Ty for the help guys, maybe I'll just read Batgirl until death of the family. Any opinions about new52 Batman & Robin?

I want this thread to be as welcoming to new readers as possible, so please let me know if you have any suggestions to improve it. This goes for anyone really.

More of the highlights from the community. Stuff like the Desert Island Issues lists, JC's Moments of Miller and ed's art analysis.

sounds like we need to ban comic book movies in this thread

I'm okay with this.

Any opinions about new52 Batman & Robin?

Starts slow, gets awesome.

Pollux

I see....oh well. Loved the Netflix show and was hoping to pick up the comic. But if it's crap I'll skip it and get on spider man or Spider-Man/deadpool

Zombine

Banned
I see....oh well. Loved the Netflix show and was hoping to pick up the comic. But if it's crap I'll skip it and get on spider man or Spider-Man/deadpool

No, stop! Don't give up on Daredevil. If you enjoy the show you'll love The Millar/Bendis/Waid runs.

Pollux

No, stop! Don't give up on Daredevil. If you enjoy the show you'll love The Millar/Bendis/Waid runs.
I'll definitely be lookin into the older stuff, but for right now I'm trying to find a handful of ANAD runs to catch up and follow monthly. I haven't followed comics monthly in my entire life so this will be something new.

Currently caught up on both iron mans and Thor. Reading ANAD avengers, vision, and dr strange and all new xmen

Planning on Spider-Man and SM/deadpool.

Thinking about daredevil (not so much anymore) and am open to a couple other suggestions

TheFlow

Banned

lol just read any other run.

Give black panther, power man and ironfist, and or all new wolverine a try

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

It's weird. As much as I enjoy the show I still have no desire to read any of DD's comics.

Because it's stupid.

DD books just seem like they'd make me want to slit my wrists.

DD7cover.jpg

You should give Waid's run a go.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Man, Dan Slott is kinda shitty, ain't he?

WIth all the Civil War hype, it finally got me interested in reading Spidey comics. I'd rank Spidey my favorite superhero behind Batman but that's just from watching the cartoon and movies when I was a kid and never had read the comics.

Read Miles Morales' run and I really enjoyed that then tried reading Brand New Day and only managed to read a couple of chapters before I stopped. Then I fast forwarded some into another point that I read was a good starting point, I believe around chapter 648-ish, and that was also crap.

Tried Spider-Verse and that was actually pretty interesting but once that storyline was over it became crappy again.

I hear Ultimate Spider-Man is really good so I might try getting into that but the art is so horrible that it's making me hesitant.

Speaking of art, though, I just finished the 2015 Thor run and it was FANTASTIC. The artist completely nailed every single page, there's not a single panel that's not absolutely gorgeous.

Sandfox

Man, Dan Slott is kinda shitty, ain't he?

WIth all the Civil War hype, it finally got me interested in reading Spidey comics. I'd rank Spidey my favorite superhero behind Batman but that's just from watching the cartoon and movies when I was a kid and never had read the comics.

Read Miles Morales' run and I really enjoyed that then tried reading Brand New Day and only managed to read a couple of chapters before I stopped. Then I fast forwarded some into another point that I read was a good starting point, I believe around chapter 648-ish, and that was also crap.

Tried Spider-Verse and that was actually pretty interesting but once that storyline was over and became crappy again.

I hear Ultimate Spider-Man is really good so I might try getting into that but the art is so horrible that it's making me hesitant.

Speaking of art, though, I just finished the 2015 Thor run and it was FANTASTIC. The artist completely nailed every single page, there's not a single panel that's not absolutely gorgeous.

I like Slott's work for the most part, but it may just not be for you.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Didn't know Dan Slott wrote a Mile's run.
But nah.

No, I know Bendis did.

What I meant is that I enjoyed Mile's a lot so then I tried to get into Dan Slott's Spidey and everything that I tried bored me to death. So it was a disappointment to go from Mile's run to Dan's Spidey.

Expect for Spider-Verse which had great art and seemed to have an interesting story.

I hereby proclaim that Kot's Secret Avengers is the second best team book marvel ever published.

Right after Nextwave.

secret warriors and winter solder r next

Messi

I hereby proclaim that Kot's Secret Avengers is the second best team book marvel ever published.

Right after Nextwave.

secret warriors and winter solder r next

Did we not recently establish that Nextwave wasn't good? I feel like we did. Or at the very least that it was a letdown.

Messi

What is it about Slott's work that is so love/hate? I just bought 5 trades to finally get into Spider-Man so I'm interested in what quality may turn some people off.

Some people don't like the direction he has taken the character. I have no problem with it.

What is it about Slott's work that is so love/hate? I just bought 5 trades to finally get into Spider-Man so I'm interested in what quality may turn some people off.

Sometimes he's good, sometimes he's not. He makes a big deal about The Parker Luck but his run is really heavy on wish fulfilment. Which, for many people, is not what's good about Spider-Man.

He has tried so hard to make Doc Ock into Spidey's Joker as well and it's just not taking. Ock literally stole Parker's life and it just made him look a bit sad in the end rather than a big threat.

Calcium

Banned
Some people don't like the direction he has taken the character. I have no problem with it.

Sometimes he's good, sometimes he's not. He makes a big deal about The Parker Luck but his run is really heavy on wish fulfilment. Which, for many people, is not what's good about Spider-Man.

He has tried so hard to make Doc Ock into Spidey's Joker as well and it's just not taking. Ock literally stole Parker's life and it just made him look a bit sad in the end rather than a big threat.

Wish fulfillment? Like Parker is a genie now? I'm fine with the Doc Ock thing, Superior sounds very interesting.

Top Bottom